ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane's SEC Championships

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
Tulane has as many SEC Football Championships (3) as Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Missouri combined.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
I take that to mean that, when a school develops in such a way that its mission is at variance with the priorities of a conference, then that school gets out of that conference. See Ga. Tech. Such was the case with Tulane. "Big-time" in their heyday wasn't what "Big-time" came to be later on. They weren't inclined to follow the new model.

I take that to mean that, when a school develops in such a way that its mission is at variance with the priorities of a conference, then that school gets out of that conference. See Ga. Tech. Such was the case with Tulane. "Big-time" in their heyday wasn't what "Big-time" came to be later on. They weren't inclined to follow the new model.

Tech intended to stay relevant in football. They left because of the oversigning issues.

Tech intended to stay relevant in football. They left because of the oversigning issues.
Bear Bryant cited some other competitive issues. Other people cited academics. I'm not going there today. Bottom line is that, if you don't want to do what you have to do to compete in a league, you get out of it.

Bear Bryant cited some other competitive issues. Other people cited academics. I'm not going there today. Bottom line is that, if you don't want to do what you have to do to compete in a league, you get out of it.

They withdrew immediately following a vote on the issue. A vote that Bear promised to support, but conveniently missed so the UA pres could vote in the opposite way. SEC was a dirty place back then.

There were philosophical differences, no?

Yes. Bear would sign 45 players every year, then cut whoever didn’t pan out. Bobby Dodd signed the number he had room for and didn’t run the low performers off. They proposed a rule to lower the signees and lower the cap from 140. It would have passed if Bear showed up and stood by his word. He didn’t, so Tech left.

Reactions: agantt
Yes. Bear would sign 45 players every year, then cut whoever didn’t pan out. Bobby Dodd signed the number he had room for and didn’t run the low performers off. They proposed a rule to lower the signees and lower the cap from 140. It would have passed if Bear showed up and stood by his word. He didn’t, so Tech left.
It was for the best in one way, but no one was better situated in the SEC geographically than Tech. They had easy access to a lot of league sites, and vice versa.

supposedly... bear could do what he wanted...lol.. rumor has it he played some 30+ year old professional players from time to time...lol.. wasn't big on back ground checks back then I guess...lol

They withdrew immediately following a vote on the issue. A vote that Bear promised to support, but conveniently missed so the UA pres could vote in the opposite way. SEC was a dirty place back then.
If you watch some of the officiating it's not hard to believe it's still a dirty place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT