ADVERTISEMENT

UCF just proclaimed itself the National Champions:

That's not my point. UCF can compete with anyone and they've proven it again and again. They're for real. They're legitimate. They just beat a team that beat both finalists in the CFP!!

Has a Power 5 asked them to join? How can they align themselves with a Power 5, if they haven't been invited to join?
They've won a couple of big isolated games. No one is going to ascribe the same validity to that as they are to winning big against a Power Five schedule, especially if you're taking about a program that does it year after year. Their position is tough but it is also one of subordination, of inferiority. They might be the one team in the country besides ND that would be better off as an independent as long as they could upgrade their schedule thereby. Their league isn't helping them any.

At least for this year UCF is the best team in Florida...they also would probably have played Clemson for the ACC championship had they been in the ACC....UCF is the second largest university in the USA by enrollment even tho they didn't exist prior to the early sixties. When they finally convince people to allow them to play the big boys in a Power 5 conference you will likely see the birth of another football powerhouse.

At least for this year UCF is the best team in Florida...they also would probably have played Clemson for the ACC championship had they been in the ACC....UCF is the second largest university in the USA by enrollment even tho they didn't exist prior to the early sixties. When they finally convince people to allow them to play the big boys in a Power 5 conference you will likely see the birth of another football powerhouse.
I wish they were in the SEC - another great SEC road trip.

That's not my point. UCF can compete with anyone and they've proven it again and again. They're for real. They're legitimate. They just beat a team that beat both finalists in the CFP!!

I concede those points as dead on. But JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT HERE:

Does anyone remember back when ECU (i.e. back during our Holtz years - our most recent Holtz years) was a damned good team for about a 6-7 year run - they were beating Miami, us and A LOT of other teams for a stretch. In fact, I think they finished in the top 5, certainly the top 10 for a few years!

Point being that ECU could not sustain it. Can UCF??

Just something to think about.

They've won a couple of big isolated games. No one is going to ascribe the same validity to that as they are to winning big against a Power Five schedule, especially if you're taking about a program that does it year after year. Their position is tough but it is also one of subordination, of inferiority. They might be the one team in the country besides ND that would be better off as an independent as long as they could upgrade their schedule thereby. Their league isn't helping them any.
Again, UCF just beat Auburn. Auburn beat #1 Georgia and #1 Bama, back to back. UCF had to win this game to prove their worth. That's exactly what they did. I'm not saying they would survive a Power 5 schedule. I'm not saying they deserve to be in the CFP. I'm saying that they have proven that they can compete with and beat the big boy teams. I'm basing my belief on what UCF has accomplished. I'm not basing it on how I THINK they might struggle with a Power 5 schedule.

You know that If they go independent, NOBODY will play them. They can't have their cake and eat it too. Only ND can do that.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Again, UCF just beat Auburn. Auburn beat #1 Georgia and #1 Bama, back to back. UCF had to win this game to prove their worth. That's exactly what they did. I'm not saying they would survive a Power 5 schedule. I'm not saying they deserve to be in the CFP. I'm saying that they have proven that they can compete with and beat the big boy teams. I'm basing my belief on what UCF has accomplished. I'm not basing it on how I THINK they might struggle with a Power 5 schedule.

You know that If they go independent, NOBODY will play them. They can't have their cake and eat it too. Only ND can do that.

their best regular season road win was against Navy, their best regular season win was against Memphis..the rest of schedule was crap......the topic of UCF being in the playoffs is a non starter.

good they beat Auburn..enjoy the peach bowl win

Its really funny , people heard nothing coming out of UCF about deserving playoffs prior to Auburn game, then they win and they want to make ridiculous statements about them being NChamps

Nothing ridiculous about it...they proved it on the field. There was nothing fluky about how they beat Auburn. It may be hard for some to understand but they are the real deal and better than/as good as any Power 5 team with maybe two or three exceptions. Sorry it makes you unhappy.

Ugh, UCF would not beat Bama or UGA although I wish they could have had the chance.

I agree but at least give them the chance to make the playoffs. What the committee is saying to all programs like UCF is you can win all of your games, which UCF of course did, but you will never have a chance to play for the title. I heard today the AD of UCF is doing this promotional thing for UCF to try and open up some dialogue with the playoff committee to give programs like UCF a chance to play for the title in the future. Which makes sense to me.

You know what, people play the we beat them who beat those who beat these every year to try and prove their team is better than some team they didn't play. But it doesn't prove anything since every game is about match-ups between those particular teams. And when it's all said and done, UCF is the champion of a second-tier league that beat a team which couldn't even win the SEC, regardless of whoever else beat whomever else. And if we were still in the BCS era, they wouldn't be playing for the national championship, either. And unless the playoffs are expanded beyond eight teams, they STILL won't be playing for the national championship. Too bad for them.

You know what, people play the we beat them who beat those who beat these every year to try and prove their team is better than some team they didn't play. But it doesn't prove anything since every game is about match-ups between those particular teams. And when it's all said and done, UCF is the champion of a second-tier league that beat a team which couldn't even win the SEC, regardless of whoever else beat whomever else. And if we were still in the BCS era, they wouldn't be playing for the national championship, either. And unless the playoffs are expanded beyond eight teams, they STILL won't be playing for the national championship. Too bad for them.

They beat Auburn's ass. Auburn beat Alabama and UGA's ass. I don't think UCF really thinks they are the "national champs," but I am all for their self promotion. They have an undeniably good team and until someone beats them, they can call themselves whatever they want. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can put UCF on their schedules and try to beat them. Good on them.

Reactions: clmssun
They beat Auburn's ass. Auburn beat Alabama and UGA's ass. I don't think UCF really thinks they are the "national champs," but I am all for their self promotion. They have an undeniably good team and until someone beats them, they can call themselves whatever they want. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can put UCF on their schedules and try to beat them. Good on them.
They can do whatever they want. And people are also free to buy into whatever they do - or to disregard it. And meanwhile, an SEC Big Boy will be wearing the crown late Monday night. And UCF will be a side note, if that.

their best regular season road win was against Navy, their best regular season win was against Memphis..the rest of schedule was crap......the topic of UCF being in the playoffs is a non starter.

good they beat Auburn..enjoy the peach bowl win

Its really funny , people heard nothing coming out of UCF about deserving playoffs prior to Auburn game, then they win and they want to make ridiculous statements about them being NChamps

That's false. They were ranked week in and week out lower than they should have been, and much was said about it. Hell they were ranked behind a 3-loss team and two 2-loss teams in the final week. This was intentional, IMO, to make sure they didn't have a chance.

Remember when USF was ranked #2?! Wasn't that long ago, but it was before the playoff system.

Last edited:
That's false. They were ranked week in and week out lower than they should have been, and much was said about it. Hell they were ranked behind 3-loss teams in the final week. This was intentional, IMO, to make sure they didn't have a chance.

Remember when USF was ranked #2?! Wasn't that long ago, but it was before the playoff system.

below my post:
people heard nothing coming out of UCF about deserving playoffs prior to Auburn game

and its not wrong, prior to game rd UCF never said a word about they should be in playoffs...they beat Auburn and then mentioned the slight

below my post:
people heard nothing coming out of UCF about deserving playoffs prior to Auburn game

and its not wrong, prior to game rd UCF never said a word about they should be in playoffs...they beat Auburn and then mentioned the slight

Are you kidding?? It was an ongoing national discussion that UCF should be ranked higher and possibly should have been given the 4th "invitation."

below my post:

Auburn had three losses before they ever played UCF. The SEC Championship game simply normed them.

Anyone that says UCF shouldn't have gotten a shot at the playoffs is essentially saying all of college football should be shut down except for the 15-20 teams who are actually allowed to compete for something. When you can do something absolutely perfectly and get nothing out of it, the system is sham and needs to die.

Anyone that says UCF shouldn't have gotten a shot at the playoffs is essentially saying all of college football should be shut down except for the 15-20 teams who are actually allowed to compete for something. When you can do something absolutely perfectly and get nothing out of it, the system is sham and needs to die.
Play more Power-Five teams. I'm not saying that is convenient of easy. That's their only avenue unless the playoffs expand to maybe 16 teams. I'm not seeing that in the near future. Eight teams won't do it for them the way they are situated, especially if Power Five champions receive automatic bids.

Another factor, teams as compelling as they are don't come along every year. In the years where they don't, the demand to include such teams dies down.

That just proves my point - currently, unless you are part of the club, you can't play to be #1.

Just about every year there is a G5 good enough to get into the playoff. Go undefeated, win there conference, and get left out for a weak P5 champ or less. Additionally, there are countless discussions on why other conferences "aren't as good" because they have so many weak teams. To be fair...we have that issue as well.

Just be real about it. You can argue Alabama belongs because they showed it Monday night. But did they really? Who did they beat getting there? Who did Clemson beat to deserve #1 seed? The answer truly is no one really tough for either team, and they BOTH got in on popularity.

I have a feeling that next week will be a blowout, because the committee put two above average teams on one side of the bracket and the two best teams on the other.
they got there in part because they have a buttload of 5 star athletes....which makes them one of the best teams... think about it. THEY GOT BEAT BY CUSE AND STILL HAD THE NUMBER ONE SEED?

You usually have pretty solid takes on everything, but you are just being combative on this subject. I'm saying that UCF can play with the big boys and beat them. That has been proven. If you don't think Auburn is a big boy team, then go back and look at our Gamecock's record against them. Auburn beat the teams that are FINALISTS IN THE CFP!!!! Auburn beat Georgia AND Bama when they were both ranked # 1. Again, I'm not saying they deserve to be in the playoff or they could handle a Power 5 Schedule. UCF has shown that they can compete with the big boys on the field. That's all. Bye bye.

Last edited:
You usually have pretty solid takes on everything, but you are just being combative on this subject. I'm saying that UCF can play with the big boys and beat them. That has been proven. If you don't think Auburn is a big boy team, then go back and look at our Gamecock's record against them. Auburn beat the teams that are FINALISTS IN THE CFP!!!! Auburn beat Georgia AND Bama when they were both ranked # 1. Again, I'm not saying they deserve to be in the playoff or they could handle a Power 5 Schedule. UCF has shown that they can compete with the big boys. That's all. Bye bye.
You're using the so-and-so beat so-and-so argument again. It is historically unreliable. Not being combative at all, only consistent. Yes UCF is better than most or all of the teams that aren't Power Five teams. They are better than a lot of the teams that are Power Five teams. But beating a 3-loss team with injury issues that lost its main incentives for playing several weeks ago is not a compelling clincher for CFP inclusion, especially when one of those CFP participants that they beat at home kicked their asses when it counted most. If the playoffs expand, maybe their time is coming. But it isn't yet.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
You're using the so-and-so beat so-and-so argument again. It is historically unreliable. Not being combative at all, only consistent. Yes UCF is better than most or all of the teams that aren't Power Five teams. They are better than a lot of the teams that are Power Five teams. But beating a 3-loss team with injury issues that lost its main incentives for playing several weeks ago is not a compelling clincher for CFP inclusion, especially when one of those CFP participants that they beat at home kicked their asses when it counted most. If the playoffs expand, maybe their time is coming. But it isn't yet.

It does however confirm their ownership of Florida

Reactions: king ward
do you no how interesting the regular season would be with a 16 team playoff...no very!!
The best thing about P5 football is every game matters
every game matters? Apparently not since a team that lost to a unranked got in while an undefeated team stayed home....js

I'm just saying that, if they align themselves with a Power Five league, playing more Big Boys than they play now is a given. That's a big school in a plum town. The Big 12? The ACC? Just musing.
yall act like a team can just wake up one morning and declare themselves the newest member of the SEC. Doesn't work that way...every one knows it.

Play more Power-Five teams. I'm not saying that is convenient of easy. That's their only avenue unless the playoffs expand to maybe 16 teams. I'm not seeing that in the near future. Eight teams won't do it for them the way they are situated, especially if Power Five champions receive automatic bids.

Another factor, teams as compelling as they are don't come along every year. In the years where they don't, the demand to include such teams dies down.
so how many power 5 teams should 1 have to play? do perennial power 5 bottom dwellers count?, because they count for about half of power 5 team schedules. Then at in the power 5 out of conference games against power houses like citadel, mercer, Wofford...ect. Bamma played 3 ranked teams and lost to one. UCF played 3 ranked teams (1 twice) and won them all....js

so how many power 5 teams should 1 have to play? do perennial power 5 bottom dwellers count?, because they count for about half of power 5 team schedules. Then at in the power 5 out of conference games against power houses like citadel, mercer, Wofford...ect. Bamma played 3 ranked teams and lost to one. UCF played 3 ranked teams (1 twice) and won them all....js
I've already addressed that as much as intend to in post #151. The league UCF plays in has its bottom-dwellers also.

Now you are just being stubborn. They beat a legitimate top 10 team, in Auburn. I will say that Auburn's loss to LSU was a bad loss. Their losses to Georgia and klempsun were losses to better teams on that day. The loss to UCF was another example of being beaten by the better team on that day. I've typed this 3 times, but here it is again. I'm not saying that they would run through a Power 5 schedule or that they should have been included in the CFP. I'm saying that they have competed with and beaten top teams.

Your attitude shows that you just don't want non power 5 conference teams competing with the big boys. Just say that and be over with it!

I've already addressed that as much as intend to in post #151. The league UCF plays in has its bottom-dwellers also.[/QUOTE]
I'll believe it when I see it;)

Now you are just being stubborn. They beat a legitimate top 10 team, in Auburn. I will say that Auburn's loss to LSU was a bad loss. Their losses to Georgia and klempsun were losses to better teams on that day. The loss to UCF was another example of being beaten by the better team on that day. I've typed this 3 times, but here it is again. I'm not saying that they would run through a Power 5 schedule or that they should have been included in the CFP. I'm saying that they have competed with and beaten top teams.

Your attitude shows that you just don't want non power 5 conference teams competing with the big boys. Just say that and be over with it!
I think that, with only four teams to pick, it makes sense that you go with the teams that possess and expend the most resources and recruit at the highest levels and play the stronger schedules - meaning other Power Five teams. I actually think that, with about 70 such teams out there, including ND, they should be a division unto themselves and the next tier of FBS teams ought to have a national championship of their own. Maybe UCF would win that one; maybe they wouldn't. You said top teams. Auburn was not a top team. With only one loss I would agree with you. With only one loss, they would be in the CFP. That's not how it is. They finished as a four-loss team, ergo, not a top team, and UCF didn't even get a cherry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT