ADVERTISEMENT

Uh, did he really say that?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Shane Beamer (when explaining his fist pump while trailing UT 35-7): “We don’t want to be driven by what the scoreboard says and be results-oriented,” he said. “We want to go out there and compete each and every play and the scoreboard will take care of itself.”

ummmm, I think maybe I get what he’s saying, but it doesn’t sound good in the middle of a bad season and on the heels of a brutal loss. Sounds like “champions of life” kind of stuff.

Reactions: jonesz21
Shane Beamer (when explaining his fist pump while trailing UT 35-7): “We don’t want to be driven by what the scoreboard says and be results-oriented,” he said. “We want to go out there and compete each and every play and the scoreboard will take care of itself.”

ummmm, I think maybe I get what he’s saying, but it doesn’t sound good in the middle of a bad season and on the heels of a brutal loss. Sounds like “champions of life” kind of stuff.
Yeah I’m not a big fan of the jumping in guys arms down 35-7. I get he’s trying to be positive and energetic. However there does come a time when it just isn’t warranted….like getting your a$$ handed to you down 30 to Tennessee.

I really like Beamer and I hope it all works out for him here...and from the looks of things he has a lot of learning to do. Maybe he can have a pow wow with his pops. I don't have a problem with his enthusiasm and trying to get his players to stay focus. FWIW, his team didn't quit in the Tenn game so that's a good sign. Time will tell whether players like his attitude. You will know by the recruits he brings in over the next couple of years.

Dearest Shane,

I understand the point you are trying to get across. However, this IS a results oriented business, and the scoreboard is how we keep track of those results. This is what caused the ruination of your predecessor, and the apathy of Gamecock Nation.

Yours Truly,
Chief

I'd prefer that the head coach promotes an atmosphere of continued effort not dependent on circumstances. We've seen lots of quitting in recent times. I believe Beamer's approach on this is correct.

Is it possible to be results-oriented while at the same time teaching players not to quit in spite of the circumstances?

Reactions: cajun dawg
Dearest Shane,

I understand the point you are trying to get across. However, this IS a results oriented business, and the scoreboard is how we keep track of those results. This is what caused the ruination of your predecessor, and the apathy of Gamecock Nation.

Yours Truly,
Chief

Yeah, I mean, if college football is not a results oriented endeavor, then what is it? The single solitary reason that millions of dollars goes into this thing and they go out on the field is to try to win… Which is a result.

We roasted Dabo for these type sound bites .
Is it too much to ask for Shane to be like Dabo and roast Clemson on the scoreboard over the next decade?

Dabo took over an interim and went 4-3 and beat their rival. Then he went 9-5 the following season. Yes, he was cheesy, but there was some evidence early on that he was at least a decent coach.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I like Shane, I REALLY do. I was excited about his hiring here. I'm as hopeful as anyone that we struck gold with a good, young coach. But sound bytes like this leave me feeling not-so-confident. Nobody expected much this year, but next year there WILL be expectations for results.

I totally agree with coach Beamer, if we compete on each play, the scoreboard will be better, it's like playing golf. play each stroke the best you can and the final score will take care of itself.

I totally agree with coach Beamer, if we compete on each play, the scoreboard will be better, it's like playing golf. play each stroke the best you can and the final score will take care of itself.

Who said anything about not competing?

People dump on the BOT and Ray for the sate of our program but then come in here and say "aw, shucks, who cares about the result? as long as we compete and play hard, that's what matters."

ALL that matters in sports is whether you win or lose (yes, I know, life lessons and all that). And the scoreboard is a direct reflection of winning or losing. Winning or losing will determine whether Shane keeps his job here.

You can give all all the rah-rah spin you want on this but bottom line is: college football IS a results-oriented business. Period. For a coach to say "We don’t want to be driven by what the scoreboard says and be results-oriented" is just beyond bizarre to me.

I'm somewhat willing to chalk this up to inexperience and hope he doesn't mean it as it sounds.

Still, coming off a thorough throttling by a division rival may not be the best time to say "we don't want to be driven by the what the scoreboard says."

Reactions: 92Pony
Did you read his quote?
I heard a bit of his press conference today. I assume this thread is in reference to how he acted toward his players regardless of the score. He commented that he was going to be happy for his guys, who work hard, when the make a good play. There may be more to this but this alone hardly seems worth criticizing the guy.

I heard a bit of his press conference today. I assume this thread is in reference to how he acted toward his players regardless of the score. He commented that he was going to be happy for his guys, who work hard, when the make a good play. There may be more to this but this alone hardly seems worth criticizing the guy.

It's a football coaching saying he doesn't want be driven by what the scoreboard says and be results-oriented. Do you think Nick Saban cares what the scoreboard says or is results-oriented?

To be fair, Beamer also said this today about the UT game: "It wasn’t good enough. We lost the football game, no moral victories, but there is a lot that I hope we can build upon.”

He needs to be more like this.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'd prefer that the head coach promotes an atmosphere of continued effort not dependent on circumstances. We've seen lots of quitting in recent times. I believe Beamer's approach on this is correct.
I have to agree, once a team quits in a game. The Coach has lost the team, they've quit buying what he's selling. Nothing wrong with encouragement, it don't matter if your up 50 or down 50.

It's a football coaching saying he doesn't want be driven by what the scoreboard says and be results-oriented. Do you think Nick Saban cares what the scoreboard says or is results-oriented?

To be fair, Beamer also said this today about the UT game: "It wasn’t good enough. We lost the football game, no moral victories, but there is a lot that I hope we can build upon.”

He needs to be more like this.
You don't really think Beamer was suggesting he didn't care about winning, do you? I'm confident he understands he needs to win games. Given the context of what he said, it was very clear, at least I thought, that he was referring to why he was applauding and hugging on his guys despite the score. His point was not that he didn't care what the score was but that no matter the score of the game, he was going to show his appreciation for effort and a good play.

Is it possible to be results-oriented while at the same time teaching players not to quit in spite of the circumstances?
I believe you can be exactly that without even saying it by establishing relentlessness as a foundation of your culture, something that will get you where you want to go. Implicit in that is that lying down will not.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I agree, but think his answer was inartfully worded. Perhaps if he'd begun his statement with "at that point in the game . . ." rather than give the impression that he thinks the scoreboard doesn't mean anything.

Coach Beamer talks like a coach who feels zero pressure to win.
We all know that is exactly what he is. A coach with no pressure on him. As long as Ray holds on, Beamer will not be fired regardless of results. Shane knows that.

I agree, but think his answer was inartfully worded. Perhaps if he'd begun his statement with "at that point in the game . . ." rather than give the impression that he thinks the scoreboard doesn't mean anything.

This is probably what it was, at least I hope. I've heard a lot of interviews by football coaches and can't ever recall hearing a coach say they don't want to be results-oriented or concerned with the scoreboard. I guess I'm willing to chalk it up to him not being used to taking questions on the fly.

Reactions: uscg1984
You know, I never inferred that and I don't believe many people would have inferred that. But some people are already looking for any excuse to impugn this guy.

This team isn’t the most talented, but they play with effort from opening whistle to the last second. I find that refreshing after the last ‘regime’!

And, for the record, I've never advocated for firing Beamer. Have posted in opposition that idea. He just says some head-scratching things, which makes you hope they're just undeveloped thoughts.

This reminds me when one dense Clemson player said that Dabo was teaching them life lessons so they could be better “sons and daughters“ lol. Wish I could find that sound byte.

I hate to be one to defend Beamer, but he has a point with the comment.

If you believe his process will eventually work, the scoreboard doesn't matter. If he keeps with his process, the scoreboard will eventually reflect our improvements with wins.

I'm not one to blindly defend our coaches when they screw up. But maybe Beamer isn't too far off the reservation on this one. He's in Year 1 with a program that is a complete rebuild, and he's (correctly) determined that one of his major challenges is to teach his players how to play/practice hard and to compete, no matter what.
I'm sure he was as irritated at the first half as I was. At that point, all he can do is try to get his team to up their effort and lessen the embarrassment.

I'm sittn here enjoying a wonderous exlixer designed to cleanse my bowels for ,,, you know what I'm doing.
A thought occurred, the vitriol & Beamer bashing on here sounds & reads a lot like the gurgling & emitting sounds created by this innards cleanse concoction probably developed by one or more of you angry monsters. If I ever find out one of you ever confessed to liquifying Dutch Cleanser & Kerosene together for profit, even as much as a damn penny from this disgustingly vile Mr Wanna Be Clean thickened liquid, yur arse is mine bucko!!
It does however, put me in the mood & mind to ponder on situations, topics & things I don't normally allow to enter my mind. Sadly though, the bride has taken this period of time to become Hitler's worse reincarnated other self & has joyfully removed a few of my favorite things, like FOOD!!! And my dignity. If I ever had any, I'm married!
Being left with no dignity, no respect, self or otherwise & listening to all of my Czarist, Hitler clone brides friends snicker as she explains every little detail of my depunction, Oh noo, my dignity is free game, shred at will, tell all ur female trolls so they can broadcast at will & give me those "I know what you were doing" cheesy looks next time I'm at the grocery store ( if I live that long)!
So, now that you know, I'm beyond delerious right about now & just damn moody enough to tell all of you to just shut the "H"up already!, The world knows we're stuggling, they don't need our confirmation & they ain't asking for it either. Ive fallen into the mindset of "I just don't care"!! I see moving spots on the wall, the dog has 2 heads, eyes start'n to go round & round, I'm at defcon whatever, going back & forth, back & forth & u know where I'm going so shut the "H" up! Don't make me do an Achmed on ya'll, Shut the "H"up. We're 3 & 3 w/ a slim but, fairly decent chance of being 4-3 by Sunday. By my tainted math, 4 is more than 3, will have played 7 games already & 4 being more than 3, even in my delirium state, but, don't tell nobody, we have a winning season going for us but, shhh, keep it to yur self. They'll call you names so shhhh.
Wonder how many opposing coaches have people doing nothing other than read this site, cut & paste all the threads of us ridiculing Beamer for how our season is going??
I certainly would & make dang sure any recruit hinting at going to SC knew how SC fans (not all mind you) were beating up their new coach.
I'd be willing to bet ole Kirb has Mishap logging on here every day, cut & paste, cutting & paste to show recruits why we never, ever will get off the bottom of the SEC.
But, hey, Freedom of Speech still exist......For now!
Oh my gracious guess who's standing at the dungeon door, it's my bride, ain't she purty, back with another round of this joyful exlixer. Y'all enjoy your day!! I know I will, Looky the dog has 3 heads now!
Time for Daddy to have his afternoon cocktail! Y'all want sum, I'll share.
Just remember, if I ever find out one of you made a single penny developing this disgustingly junk, well, circle back above.
What's that Mama, drink it all down, I'll be a good boy, yes mam.

I'm sittn here enjoying a wonderous exlixer designed to cleanse my bowels for ,,, you know what I'm doing.
A thought occurred, the vitriol & Beamer bashing on here sounds & reads a lot like the gurgling & emitting sounds created by this innards cleanse concoction probably developed by one or more of you angry monsters. If I ever find out one of you ever confessed to liquifying Dutch Cleanser & Kerosene together for profit, even as much as a damn penny from this disgustingly vile Mr Wanna Be Clean thickened liquid, yur arse is mine bucko!!
It does however, put me in the mood & mind to ponder on situations, topics & things I don't normally allow to enter my mind. Sadly though, the bride has taken this period of time to become Hitler's worse reincarnated other self & has joyfully removed a few of my favorite things, like FOOD!!! And my dignity. If I ever had any, I'm married!
Being left with no dignity, no respect, self or otherwise & listening to all of my Czarist, Hitler clone brides friends snicker as she explains every little detail of my depunction, Oh noo, my dignity is free game, shred at will, tell all ur female trolls so they can broadcast at will & give me those "I know what you were doing" cheesy looks next time I'm at the grocery store ( if I live that long)!
So, now that you know, I'm beyond delerious right about now & just damn moody enough to tell all of you to just shut the "H"up already!, The world knows we're stuggling, they don't need our confirmation & they ain't asking for it either. Ive fallen into the mindset of "I just don't care"!! I see moving spots on the wall, the dog has 2 heads, eyes start'n to go round & round, I'm at defcon whatever, going back & forth, back & forth & u know where I'm going so shut the "H" up! Don't make me do an Achmed on ya'll, Shut the "H"up. We're 3 & 3 w/ a slim but, fairly decent chance of being 4-3 by Sunday. By my tainted math, 4 is more than 3, will have played 7 games already & 4 being more than 3, even in my delirium state, but, don't tell nobody, we have a winning season going for us but, shhh, keep it to yur self. They'll call you names so shhhh.
Wonder how many opposing coaches have people doing nothing other than read this site, cut & paste all the threads of us ridiculing Beamer for how our season is going??
I certainly would & make dang sure any recruit hinting at going to SC knew how SC fans (not all mind you) were beating up their new coach.
I'd be willing to bet ole Kirb has Mishap logging on here every day, cut & paste, cutting & paste to show recruits why we never, ever will get off the bottom of the SEC.
But, hey, Freedom of Speech still exist......For now!
Oh my gracious guess who's standing at the dungeon door, it's my bride, ain't she purty, back with another round of this joyful exlixer. Y'all enjoy your day!! I know I will, Looky the dog has 3 heads now!
Time for Daddy to have his afternoon cocktail! Y'all want sum, I'll share.
Just remember, if I ever find out one of you made a single penny developing this disgustingly junk, well, circle back above.
What's that Mama, drink it all down, I'll be a good boy, yes mam.
Whatever you're drinking to clean you out isn't working...you're still spewing BS.

• Haha
Reactions: Legendary Cock
I love all the talk about firings and stuff. Does anyone realize the defeated, quitting, non caring, undisciplined and depleted (over 20 players left) team he took over. People were predicting 4or 5 wins. We have 3.

Personally I had pipe dreams of 7 wins but that aint happening. So reality has set back in. The only thing that will help this program is continually bringing in more talent. We shall see how this works out. I’m behind what Beamer is trying to do and lots of BS talk wont help recruiting.

BUT………If he is smart, he better never allow our defensive coordinator to play that sorry ass Muschamp version of a Defense we saw Saturday. The one where we play 15 yards off receivers allowing the other team free 10 yard plays all the way down the field. Running a base defense, with no real blitzes, allowing the other team 8 to 10 play drives. Mind you, no adjustment gets made until it’s too late.

I am so sick of that kind of defense at South Carolina. So I hope Shane learned one lesson. That crap way of coaching to try and keep it close instead of win will seal anyone’s fate. It was amazing how much different the second half was when we played tight on the receivers and came after the quarterback causing him to have to make quick decisions. Was not remotely close to what we saw in the first half. I would rather get burnt a time or two during a game than basically just allow you to eat up clock and score a touchdown every time you have the ball.

As for the offense….we need more/better players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT