ADVERTISEMENT

UNC rumored to hire Mack Brown!

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Unbelievable if true. He better put together a dynamic young staff of this could be a disaster. Brown is prolly addicted to geritol at his age

That's pretty funny. Trying to relive some of their old glory days?

I saw he was on the short list. But maybe he's just being interviewed for his advice. Needs to bring a coach-in-waiting to his first presser-LOL. This would be ludicrous. They'd be better off to have kept Fedora.

Pretty clear UNC is committed to basketball and not football. Mack was awful by the time he left Texas. Been away from the game a while now. Should be brutal from a recruiting standpoint. Missed opportunity to try and find the next up and comer. Awful decision.

They should hire Bobby Bowden and Bill Snyder to the staff. May need to invest in some walkers as well. They could set it up like a nursing home on the sideline. Maybe have beds available too if the coaches need to take a nap during the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joelmoo2
Peter Burns on the SEC Network this morning said that Mack had been talking to UNC for over a month trying to get the job when they fired JACKED.
Talked like it was gonna happen.

Brown is the same age as Saban. But I understand the jobs aren't comparable. Saban ain't taking any rebuilding jobs.

I guess if UNC makes this move, it's in the spirit of the Herm Edwards/veteran CEO approach. Why not? The ACC is really struggling as a football conference right now. Try something different.

Reactions: rogue cock and PC31
Brown is the same age as Saban. But I understand the jobs aren't comparable. Saban ain't taking any rebuilding jobs.

I guess if UNC makes this move, it's in the spirit of the Herm Edwards/veteran CEO approach. Why not? The ACC is really struggling as a football conference right now. Try something different.
I do believe he would be an upgrade. I also believe his shelf life would be brief. I think the hope would be that he could make the program credible and one of his assistants could take it over in a few years. That's what should have happened in the Holtz scenario here.

I do believe he would be an upgrade. I also believe his shelf life would be brief. I think the hope would be that he could make the program credible and one of his assistants could take it over in a few years. That's what should have happened in the Holtz scenario here.
Holtz tried, but was talked into staying another year, which, as it usually does, put the rebuild another year behind when he left.

Reactions: king ward
Holtz tried, but was talked into staying another year, which, as it usually does, put the rebuild another year behind when he left.

True, he was talked into staying. But I wouldn't call USC a "rebuild" after Holtz left. We were an average SEC team. Plus, the timing was perfect to get Spurrier. So it worked out in the end.

Wow.....looking at that link a couple articles down says he's talking to Chizik for DC and Kingsbury for OC.
That'd be strong right there
Chizck just left for multiple reasons that were personal in nature, why would he jump right back in? Kingsbury has no connections to recruiting here so that woul be tough to get started as well. I think that would sound good on paper but be a disaster in real life.

Supposedly Chizik left because his family lived in Auburn and he did not want to move his kids to a new school. TV was easier on his get back home family time.
Not sure if that has changed but at some point it will.

Unbelievable if true. He better put together a dynamic young staff of this could be a disaster. Brown is prolly addicted to geritol at his age

I couldn't believe it when I heard Brown's name being tossed around last night. Boy, that would really be something if he came back to shiable hole.

Supposedly Chizik left because his family lived in Auburn and he did not want to move his kids to a new school. TV was easier on his get back home family time.
Not sure if that has changed but at some point it will.
The SEC Network operates out of Charlotte. Chizik to Chapel Hill should be no biggie for him now.

Pretty clear UNC is committed to basketball and not football. Mack was awful by the time he left Texas. Been away from the game a while now. Should be brutal from a recruiting standpoint. Missed opportunity to try and find the next up and comer. Awful decision.

The Mack Brown we saw at the end at Texas was a guy who no longer had the fire-in-the-belly to win. He delegated to assistants and didn't work hard. He is 67 or 68 now. I can't imagine that fire has rekindled. Sure he can hire a Kliff Kingsbury or Gene Chizik and delegate all the work out. He is personable and a good recruiter. He can be a CEO head coach. Like you I doubt this works. I don't think recruiting will be the problem, he is the master at that. The overall program just mimics the effort the head coach puts into it. Look for 7 to 8 win seasons.

Reactions: Carolina4
When Mack last coached at UNC, the Dow was at 8100, the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky affair was about to be revealed and, the 3rd and arguably best Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan movie, the classic "You've Got Mail", was being filmed. I guess that jokes can be made about this hiring. But, you know, Lou Holtz gave us some good years, including being Ohio State twice, as did Steve Spurrier with 3 Top 10 national teams.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
The Mack Brown we saw at the end at Texas was a guy who no longer had the fire-in-the-belly to win. He delegated to assistants and didn't work hard. He is 67 or 68 now. I can't imagine that fire has rekindled. Sure he can hire a Kliff Kingsbury or Gene Chizik and delegate all the work out. He is personable and a good recruiter. He can be a CEO head coach. Like you I doubt this works. I don't think recruiting will be the problem, he is the master at that. The overall program just mimics the effort the head coach puts into it. Look for 7 to 8 win seasons.

There's a big difference between expectations for Texas football and UNCarolina football. The culture at UNC is almost anti-football. 7 to 8 wins, with a respectable coach, is what they want.

What the fuuu...

Why not call Tony Elliott down at Tater Tech. They guy is a proven coordinator and recruiter.

Reactions: rogue cock
Unbelievable. Why not Charlie Strong? He is proving himself to be a better coach than he was at UT.

They just lost their final 5 games of the season. Strong did well with what Taggart left over in year 1 but USF has a very disappointing season, especially after starting out 7-0.

The recruiting part that is difficult is for a player to commit to a coach that likely won’t be the coach when he finishes his career. Odds of that are about the same regardless with the turnover in CFB, but then throw in the age and I’m positive it’ll be brought up by teams with younger coaches. He also had amazing facilities and a deep recruiting pool at Texas. I still remember seeing how awesome that locker room was in the early 2000’s. Schools have caught up to that now but they were ahead of everyone.

The recruiting part that is difficult is for a player to commit to a coach that likely won’t be the coach when he finishes his career. Odds of that are about the same regardless with the turnover in CFB, but then throw in the age and I’m positive it’ll be brought up by teams with younger coaches. He also had amazing facilities and a deep recruiting pool at Texas. I still remember seeing how awesome that locker room was in the early 2000’s. Schools have caught up to that now but they were ahead of everyone.

Don't underestimate how good a recruiter Mack Brown is. He is very charming and knows not to just recruit the recruit but recruit the family and the high school coaches. One commentator speculated that Fedora has really irritated the NC high school coaches and Mack is being brought back to soothe those rustled feathers over. He will defeat the "you won't be here" with top end coordinators like Gene Chizik and Kliff Kingsbury. If a recruit is being told that, they will counter with "if I leave it would be Kliff/Gene who you like anyway, not some new staff." Obviously telling the offensive recruits one thing and defensive another.

Reactions: Carolina4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT