ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Paid Leave.

He will not be fired. He may be suspended for a while.
He will be fired. He will never coach another game at Ohio State. In today's climate OSU will not keep him. He knew this was going on ( domestic violence) and did nothing. Plus he has now lied about not knowing anything so he can't back peddle and say I didn't realize the severity or whatever. He's gone .

After reading through the stories, Meyer could wiggle off the hook unless someone can prove his wife told him about the 2015 allegations made by Smith's wife. It's inevitable Shelley told Urban, but proving it is another matter. The problem for Meyer's wife is Title IX, as it applies to university employees concealing spousal abuse allegations of which they become aware against other university employees. Shelley is going to have to decide whether she is going to fall on her sword for Urban.

Good point. Is Mrs Meyer subject to Title IX? If she says "I never told Urban", he's golden, is he not? They can fire him, but there is a huge buyout plus the sure to come lawsuit.

Regulations that make special classes of certain crimes are dangerous. We all can agree on the severity of domestic abuse. If the legal system isnt handling it, fix that. However, from what I can find to read about it, it seems like Urban was in a no win situation, assuming Mrs Meyer told him.
Mrs: His wife said he did it again.
Urban: Did she call the cops?
Mrs: She says so.
Urban: Was he arrested?
Mrs: No. You would know if he was.
Urban: Why not?
Mrs: I dont know.
Urban: But they're still separated, right?
Mrs: Right.
Urban: They're not together.
Mrs: No.
Urban: So we really dont know anything, except that if it happened whatever the cops saw wasnt a crime. What part of this am I now supposed to go track down? The cops were called. What am I aupposed to do that they didnt?

If a prosecutor tried the Asst Coach now for anything, the coach would likely win acquittal, but Urban s/b fired for it? What am I missing in this scenario: I might have indeed missed something in the stories.

Take the above conversation and assume that 'it' is cheating on income taxes. The wife says it happened, says she called the IRS, who looked at it and let it go. Urban would be irresponsible if he mentioned that rumor to anyone. But because its domestic abuse he has to be fired? We have administratively put Meyer in a situation where he is responsible for something he cant manage.

Good point. Is Mrs Meyer subject to Title IX? If she says "I never told Urban", he's golden, is he not? They can fire him, but there is a huge buyout plus the sure to come lawsuit.

Regulations that make special classes of certain crimes are dangerous. We all can agree on the severity of domestic abuse. If the legal system isnt handling it, fix that. However, from what I can find to read about it, it seems like Urban was in a no win situation, assuming Mrs Meyer told him.
Mrs: His wife said he did it again.
Urban: Did she call the cops?
Mrs: She says so.
Urban: Was he arrested?
Mrs: No. You would know if he was.
Urban: Why not?
Mrs: I dont know.
Urban: But they're still separated, right?
Mrs: Right.
Urban: They're not together.
Mrs: No.
Urban: So we really dont know anything, except that if it happened whatever the cops saw wasnt a crime. What part of this am I now supposed to go track down? The cops were called. What am I aupposed to do that they didnt?

If a prosecutor tried the Asst Coach now for anything, the coach would likely win acquittal, but Urban s/b fired for it? What am I missing in this scenario: I might have indeed missed something in the stories.

Take the above conversation and assume that 'it' is cheating on income taxes. The wife says it happened, says she called the IRS, who looked at it and let it go. Urban would be irresponsible if he mentioned that rumor to anyone. But because its domestic abuse he has to be fired? We have administratively put Meyer in a situation where he is responsible for something he cant manage.

Yes. She is a university employee.

You kept a women abuser at a university full of young men and women? There’s no legality probably but it would definitely invalidate a morality clause.
The bigger issue is that he publicly lied about it and got caught. If ND could axe O'Leary for fudging his resume, OSU will definitely have cause to terminate Urban for lying to the administration.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
they have put Mueller on the case... we will see soon what the results are..
2m6l2yv.jpg

Meyer never should have brought this guy with him. It's a testament to his hubris that he thought he could ease him on through. Not saying that no one can change, but wife-beaters tend to remain wife-beaters unless severely acted upon.

Meyer never should have brought this guy with him. It's a testament to his hubris that he thought he could ease him on through. Not saying that no one can change, but wife-beaters tend to remain wife-beaters unless severely acted upon.

Probably agree. The only thing we don't know is what the asst coach was like. A high degree of sincere regret, repentance and commitment to change a behavior, along with a list of other good qualities, creates in any leader a sense of loyalty and desire to help. Sometimes that clashes with admin rules. Also, not bringing him might have been the same as permanantly firing him, and his wife might have confirmed that bringing him was the best thing. But yes, it is possible that you or I might not not brought him with us.

Reactions: king ward
Once he started his stint at UF I had nothing but disdain for Urban. The criminal arrests that occurred were nothing short of mind boggling. The Pouncey brothers, Aaron Hernandez to name two. The number of players arrested during his tenure is around 23 players.
Then the whole retiring for health reasons nonsense. I would love to see him go down in flames, but I feel somehow he skates. I hope I'm dead wrong about this, but time will tell.

Last edited:
He's gone. OSU has a history of getting rid of troublemakers. His replacement? Gruden. Sorry couldn’t resist.

He gone.
Who will OSU go after?

I have not read other comments on this thread but after the report I heard on ESPN last night I don't see how he could be retained and OSU keep a straight face. Because the university policy states and I'm paraphrasing - all domestic violence's incidences in the sports department have to be reported to the coach (es) and then to the university. He stated earlier about an domestic violent incident with this couple in 2009. A copy of the interview is on tape and has been played numerous times on ESPN and other sports media outlets.

Probably agree. The only thing we don't know is what the asst coach was like. A high degree of sincere regret, repentance and commitment to change a behavior, along with a list of other good qualities, creates in any leader a sense of loyalty and desire to help. Sometimes that clashes with admin rules. Also, not bringing him might have been the same as permanantly firing him, and his wife might have confirmed that bringing him was the best thing. But yes, it is possible that you or I might not not brought him with us.

I can be wrong. I forget the last time, but I'm told it happened. Was wrong here. I stand by the principle regarding classes of crimes and varying admin requirements, but based on what has come out today it does not seem to apply to Meyer.

The real downside to this, if it comes about, is that it will help Harbaugh immeasurably. I'd rather see Ohio State stay strong than for anything to help Harbaugh.

Reactions: Cumberlandsc
I'll go out on a limb and say that Shelley Smith is going to be fired as well.

From Bianchi's Orlando Sentinel article ...

"Among Shelley Meyer's text messages to Courtney Smith was one from 2015 in which Shelley wrote of women being victimized by abusive spouses.

"I am with you!" Shelley wrote. "A lot of women stay hoping it will get better. I don't blame you! But just want u to be safe. Do you have a restraining order? He scares me."

Anybody who actually believes Shelley Meyer, Urban's wife of nearly 30 years, knew about this and didn't tell Urban is simply being delusional. In fact, Courtney Smith told McMurphy that she and Shelley often discussed Zach's domestic violence.

"Shelley said she was going to have to tell Urban," Courtney said. "I said: 'That's fine, you should tell Urban.' "

Shelley Meyer, by the way, is a registered nurse and an instructor at Ohio State's College of Nursing. As McMurphy pointed out, if Shelley and Urban Meyer knew of any potential domestic-violence accusations against Zach Smith and didn't report them to the university, they could both be in violation of federal Title IX guidelines and the school's own sexual-misconduct policy."

After reading through the stories, Meyer could wiggle off the hook unless someone can prove his wife told him about the 2015 allegations made by Smith's wife. It's inevitable Shelley told Urban, but proving it is another matter. The problem for Meyer's wife is Title IX, as it applies to university employees concealing spousal abuse allegations of which they become aware against other university employees. Shelley is going to have to decide whether she is going to fall on her sword for Urban.

I agree 100%. T-IX implications and being an employee, Shelley is culpable. Urban is in a no win situation due to the texts and he and his attorneys unable to wiggle out of this. He likely knew and if he says he didn’t (which is incredibly unbelievable), then he is placing this on his wife. Major damage was not the picture of the bruised wife, but the texts. Major damage to OSU and third Board, President, and AD. If you retain Urban, you then tell Mom’s and Dad’s of applicants their children are not valued and are not safe. Major enrollment management issues.

I don't care for Urban one way or the other. With that said I don't see where he has done anything wrong. The assistant coach said he did not tell Urban for fear of his job. The beaten wife didn't tell Urban she told his wife...... l guess she liked the money better (700000) per year. Urban wife didn't want him involved so she says she didn't tell him. Just let everything come out before you convict the the. If you guys haven't been noticing when a woman hollers people's lives get ruined whether the guy is guilty or not . Time for this bull and all the rest of this Liberian bull to stop. All I am saying is let the facts come out before burying the guy. Before you bash me I know what he has supposibly done in the past but again let the truth come out before destroying him.

I don't care for Urban one way or the other. With that said I don't see where he has done anything wrong. The assistant coach said he did not tell Urban for fear of his job. The beaten wife didn't tell Urban she told his wife...... l guess she liked the money better (700000) per year. Urban wife didn't want him involved so she says she didn't tell him. Just let everything come out before you convict the the. If you guys haven't been noticing when a woman hollers people's lives get ruined whether the guy is guilty or not . Time for this bull and all the rest of this Liberian bull to stop. All I am saying is let the facts come out before burying the guy. Before you bash me I know what he has supposibly done in the past but again let the truth come out before destroying him.

Then he should have said that when asked about the situation, in a more polite way of course. Instead, he clearly lied at Big Ten media days. To his credit, he's a bad liar. But he lied.

Nevertheless, I will still be surprised if he's fired. Like I said back when Rich Rod was fired from Arizona for whatever he supposedly did: if Rich Rod were Saban or Meyer or Dabo, would he have been fired?

Maybe Daboo goes to OSU. He's sophisticate. He's good a pretending, so the mid-western mannerisms and accent should be easy for him to emulate. He's an awesome cheerleader. And in the Big Ten, he would be borderline eleven!

Actually, I would love for Ohio State reinstate Urban and have Ohio State go through a 1-11 season...

As much as I can't stand OSU, the program has been a constant for the last 50 years. Somehow they've managed to avoid the stark peaks and valleys unlike Texas, So Cal, and Bama, The one year Fickell tenure non-withstanding.

I have never liked OSU, and would love to see them go down in flames, but with the abundance of talent at Columbus hard to see them losing no more than 3 games at worst. Damn

Reactions: king ward
As much as I can't stand OSU, the program has been a constant for the last 50 years. Somehow they've managed to avoid the stark peaks and valleys unlike Texas, So Cal, and Bama, The one year Fickell tenure non-withstanding.

I have never liked OSU, and would love to see them go down in flames, but with the abundance of talent at Columbus hard to see them losing no more than 3 games at worst. Damn
Be thankful for Ohio State. They are the reason USC and other schools can sell jerseys, caps, and other school related products without having to pay taxes on that income. They took on the IRS several times and won every case....the IRS finally gave up.

Dark he said he knew nothing have you every been told so ting about someone you were close to but chose not to say anything because it was here say and you didn't know it to be true? I have and I kept my mouth shut as many hear should because my friend you are they don't know the facts! Kara is a -----!,,,

Dark he said he knew nothing have you every been told so ting about someone you were close to but chose not to say anything because it was here say and you didn't know it to be true? I have and I kept my mouth shut as many hear should because my friend you are they don't know the facts! Kara is a -----!,,,

Translation please

Reactions: 92Pony
Translation please
He's using a courtroom evidentiary objection and applying it to a reporting requirement.....since UM didn't absolutely know of the assault (only heard it third hand) that he had no duty to report. It's a fallacy....it's not a violation of the hearsay rule. Hearsay is an out of court statement, made in court, to prove the truth of the matter asserted

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT