ADVERTISEMENT

USC/ ark. Game thread.

Bigger_Stronger_FasterWell-Known Member
New

We’ve walked hitters all year. I think we had the most walks in the Conference. Don’t think Jerry Meyers’ staffs ever did that?
The players he recruited did...and still are. And remember Meyers only ring was earned with players Calvi recruited.
Your post could be construed as disrespectful to Meade and Kingston...whether you meant it that way or not, I hope you didn’t.

I don’t give a damn how it’s construed...It’s FACT. A pitcher that can’t throw strikes is pretty useless. We lost a bunch of games this year, because of walks and pitching behind in the count way too much. Jerry Meyers’ staffs were always high on strike outs and much lower on walks. Pitching and defense...that was the strength of a Ray Tanner team. Defense has been good this year.

New

We’ve walked hitters all year. I think we had the most walks in the Conference. Don’t think Jerry Meyers’ staffs ever did that?
The players he recruited did...and still are. And remember Meyers only ring was earned with players Calvi recruited.
Your post could be construed as disrespectful to Meade and Kingston...whether you meant it that way or not, I hope you didn’t.

I don’t give a damn how it’s construed...It’s FACT. A pitcher that can’t throw strikes is pretty useless. We lost a bunch of games this year, because of walks and pitching behind in the count way too much. Jerry Meyers’ staffs were always high on strike outs and much lower on walks. Pitching and defense...that was the strength of a Ray Tanner team. Defense has been good this year.
I don’t GAS how you construe it, but my point is your comparing a first year staff to a veteran staff playing with players they didn’t recruit and that the veteran staff couldn’t win with...and has not only improved them but has advanced to a SR. If this staff had Schmidt, Crowe, and Johnson this season they would be unbeatable. On the flip side if we had the same staff with this group all the players would have had the last 2 weeks to spend at home, with their girlfriends or on a beach somewhere...or a combination.

Are you insisting that they should have pulled Hill earlier and it would have helped? Seriously, I’d like to know.

Win anyway...it ain’t over til it’s over!

Baseball's a funny sport. Next year's freshmen may well dominate the game. Strength and conditioning have less impact here than in the "contact" sports. I'm not giving up on this year's team, but I'm also not giving up on next year's either. If you're already doing that, please stop considering yourself a Gamecock because you are not a fan.

GO COCKS!!!

Shannon
USC '88

Reactions: Out of Conference
Baseball's a funny sport. Next year's freshmen may well dominate the game. Strength and conditioning have less impact here than in the "contact" sports. I'm not giving up on this year's team, but I'm also not giving up on next year's either. If you're already doing that, please stop considering yourself a Gamecock because you are not a fan.

GO COCKS!!!

Shannon
USC '88
He obviously wasn’t listening to how many rookies Arky has starting this season.
One thing’s for sure, we have the guy running the show to get us back to Omaha!

Reactions: Out of Conference
New

New

I don’t GAS how you construe it, but my point is your comparing a first year staff to a veteran staff playing with players they didn’t recruit and that the veteran staff couldn’t win with...and has not only improved them but has advanced to a SR. If this staff had Schmidt, Crowe, and Johnson this season they would beunbeatable. On the flip side if we had the same staff with this group all the players would have had the last 2 weeks to spend at home, with their girlfriends or on a beach somewhere...or a combination.

Are you insisting that they should havepulled Hill earlier and it would havehelped? Seriously, I’d like to know.

Win anyway...it ain’t over til it’s over!

DA...I made a statement of FACT. Wasn’t really attempting to compare anything. First of all, you nor I know what would have happened, if Meyers was still the Pitching Coach. Hill and Morris have been walking too many hitters, since they walked on Campus. I am confident that Kingston and Meade will get the job done in the future.

I give Meade credit for Morris’ improvement. He’s the only one on the staff that pitches like he’s not avoiding the bat. The pitchers have a top five defense in the country behind them, but they pitch like they are trying to miss the bat. That will get you in trouble every time.

It's good to see people bitch about the baseball program in mid-June...

That means we're still playing....

It could end today or tomorrow, whatever the case may be, I'm just glad we had a great run in the last two months after the PC game...

I give Meade credit for Morris’ improvement. He’s the only one on the staff that pitches like he’s not avoiding the bat. The pitchers have a top five defense in the country behind them, but they pitch like they are trying to miss the bat. That will get you in trouble every time.
Still not clear on why Morris didn't start last night but whatever. Hill all season on average hasn't made it five innings and then we have to tax the bullpen by wearing out Demurias. I am willing to admit Arky may just be better too but why aren't we pitching our best against their best.

Still not clear on why Morris didn't start last night but whatever. Hill all season on average hasn't made it five innings and then we have to tax the bullpen by wearing out Demurias. I am willing to admit Arky may just be better too but why aren't we pitching our best against their best.

We're not going to beat Arkansas in the SR, you might as well take your chances with Hill and throw the kitchen sink at them today...

If we had last year's pitching with this year's hitting and we could be taking about this team compared to the 2010 team...

But, this is compared to the 2008 or 2009 team...

I wonder if Chad knew the end was near last year and didn't bulk up on pitching and was hoping we would be a worst team in 40 years...

Arkansas is a veteran team. They have experience on the mound and in the field. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy. They only lost three games all year at their place. It’s just disappointing to watch some of the innings, because our pitchers have trouble with the strike zone.

I was right. Most walks in the conference this year. Third in strike outs. Only staffs with fewer SO...were Tennessee and Alabama (two teams that didn’t make the SEC Tournament). We have a young pitching staff though. I think they will be better next year. Need to get the walks down and the strike outs up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT