ADVERTISEMENT

USC closing in on OL Coach - Greg Adkins from Marshall

CavDad62

Sep 9, 2010
seems like a solid, veteran hire if they get him. Also served as their recruiting coordinator.

Coached at UT during their hey day.

Not who I expected, but Joey Caldwell has worked out well at Clemmy ... so maybe he will too.

He must be old with a 4 digit phone number . :)
Musta got the 4-party phone rate.
d864abc86a7a35a4853add72bfddc885.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony
Luke Day came from Marshall as well. Again- finding guys who know each other and are a “good fit” is generally considered very important for new staffs.. If you have a bunch of randos with differing views, it leads to a lack of cohesive messaging, people butt heads.. Finding guys who are comfortable working with each other and have a good relationship can mean a lot to the development of a new culture which is exactly what we need here!

Luke Day came from Marshall as well. Again- finding guys who know each other and are a “good fit” is generally considered very important for new staffs.. If you have a bunch of randos with differing views, it leads to a lack of cohesive messaging, people butt heads.. Finding guys who are comfortable working with each other and have a good relationship can mean a lot to the development of a new culture which is exactly what we need here!
While I don't disagree....I have heard that same scenario described derogatively as the "friends and family plan."

Reactions: 76MACC and JamesRob
His bio on Wiki looks pretty good with one exception:

On February 3, 2017, Adkins was dismissed following poor recruiting for the offensive line.[20]

Interesting that someone decided to put that comment in as he was recruiting coordinator at Marshall. The rest of his bio is all about the all conference guys he coached.

Reactions: Flameout12
Coached at UT during their hey day.

Not who I expected, but Joey Caldwell has worked out well at Clemmy ... so maybe he will too.
You mean Robbie Caldwell. I was hoping that Spurrier could have gotten him after his short stint as Vandy's head coach. He was the OL coach when I played at Furman and he is a tremendous OL coach. If Adkins is anywhere close to Caldwell, then you will see a huge improvement in the OL play.

His bio on Wiki looks pretty good with one exception:

On February 3, 2017, Adkins was dismissed following poor recruiting for the offensive line.[20]

Interesting that someone decided to put that comment in as he was recruiting coordinator at Marshall. The rest of his bio is all about the all conference guys he coached.
Yea...thanks for finding that. Essentially, he got several OL recruits flipped from him at the last minute.
That cannot happen here. Shane has to fix that.

Yea...thanks for finding that. Essentially, he got several OL recruits flipped from him at the last minute.
That cannot happen here. Shane has to fix that.
I don’t think that is going to be much of an issue. I get the impression that Shane is going to be the recruiting coordinator. This staff is being setup to allow him to really just oversee everything as opposed to having his hands in everything.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I don’t think that is going to be much of an issue. I get the impression that Shane is going to be the recruiting coordinator. This staff is being setup to allow him to really just oversee everything as opposed to having his hands in everything.
Agree.
Maybe lessons learned? I do think that needs to be explained even if we're not privy to the details.

You mean Robbie Caldwell. I was hoping that Spurrier could have gotten him after his short stint as Vandy's head coach. He was the OL coach when I played at Furman and he is a tremendous OL coach. If Adkins is anywhere close to Caldwell, then you will see a huge improvement in the OL play.
If he is upright and above ground we will see an improvement in OL play.

Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT