ADVERTISEMENT

USC not in AP top 25.

Truth is, this team is a mystery. I think we’ll have a good offense, and we’ll have some playmakers on defense. But I’m worried about our line play and depth on the defensive side. We have a rookie calling the offense, and I’m hoping he leans on Dan Werner and Bobby Bentley with some of the game planning. I believe will have a successful year but I’m in the dark, just like the rest of the Gamecock faithful.

Truth is, this team is a mystery. I think we’ll have a good offense, and we’ll have some playmakers on defense. But I’m worried about our line play and depth on the defensive side. We have a rookie calling the offense, and I’m hoping he leans on Dan Werner and Bobby Bentley with some of the game planning. I believe will have a successful year but I’m in the dark, just like the rest of the Gamecock faithful.
Agree with all this. When I start getting concerned about a rookie OC, I'm reminded that the flip side is at least he will make adjustments (unlike Rope a dope) and not be so predictable (Roper, again). I'll forgive mistakes and bad playcalls as long as the offense doesn't become so predictable and unwilling to try something or refusing to stick with what's working (running game vs Clemson last year!).

Reactions: RashCock and Brace1
I think, especially initially, there will be quite a bit of involvement from Werner....from game planning to play calling. He has a very experienced and successful resume. McClendon would be a fool not to rely on him and McClendon doesn't strike me as a fool.

Reactions: Brace1
iu

Michigan is weird since they have lost three games in a row.

They play ND first game (I think both are overated just a bit, but in the ballpark). Assuming Michigan loses it fourth game in a row, how far do they drop? Probably stay above us in week two, even if they lose by 21 points.

And if we luck up and beat Georgia, I'm sure we will vault up to about eight spots behind them in the week three poll.:rolleyes:

Btw, not firm on this, but I have a gut feeling LSU knocks off Miami.

....nor the memory of Muschamp's team falling apart in the 3rd year at Florida. Read that several times this offseason....everyone seems to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.
It could happen of course, but this team definitely has more talent than the last 2 years.

And with that said... the Offense is the big question.

Reactions: rogue cock
Nothing will ever come easy for us; nothing will ever be given to us. Anyone who hasn't made peace with those facts needs to.
I agree, King. But when we talk about a "thing" and whether it comes easy or not, what, exactly, is the "thing" that is a preseason ranking? They are pretty much meaningless. If we were preseason #23 and win our first two games, we'll almost certainly jump into the top 15. If we are unranked and win our first two games, we'll almost certainly jump into the top 15. Preseason rankings don't come with a trophy. Otherwise, we'd have one from our #4 ranking in 2014.

I agree, King. But when we talk about a "thing" and whether it comes easy or not, what, exactly, is the "thing" that is a preseason ranking? They are pretty much meaningless. If we were preseason #23 and win our first two games, we'll almost certainly jump into the top 15. If we are unranked and win our first two games, we'll almost certainly jump into the top 15. Preseason rankings don't come with a trophy. Otherwise, we'd have one from our #4 ranking in 2014.
You are correct. This amounts to nothing other than a little recognition that might or might not be validated.

Yea in 2014 the media was believing we were building a program.......we just overlooked some stuff

Beat UGA and you are in the drivers seat for the East. You have more talent than Mizzu and KY, Tenn is a dumpster fire and Fla is a year away.

Best way for us to get respect is beat good teams. As others have mentioned, we need to beat UGA. That kind of win will signal to the country that we are legit. Wouldn’t hurt to have this offense put up some points too.

First poll means nothing, only the last poll counts. Beat UGLY and it will.change quickly.

Sad part is part of it is about the money. We will be ranked week we play Georgia if only by ESPN poll It won’t take some great feat in week one. The reason will be for tv it looks better when both are ranked.

I beg to differ the offense returns 8 or 9 starters JMHO
It will always be the big question for Muschamp teams... until he proves otherwise.

We were anemic at best last year (12 or worst in SEC in most offensive stats) while returning many starters. We here were all agog about Bentley - as well as several media members. He had a solid year, but not great.

This year we have a new OC who is new to the position. Could be a good thing, could be not so good.

Is there reason for optimism? Absolutely. But the proof will come with consistent offensive production.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT