ADVERTISEMENT

USC School of Medicine at Greenville (pictures)

uscbeckham

Staff
Oct 22, 2001
Chapin, SC
Here is the USC School of Medicine at Greenville.

Logo which incorporates USC's logo. Yes, this is the logo that you can see at some CU athletic events.

tn_GHS_3_x_3__Green_logo_copy.png

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_Exterior-Pan-2_FTR.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_021.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_024.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_030.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_005.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_012.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_001.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_015.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_011.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_028.jpg

That's the Greenville hospital system logo. And why isn't it 100% clear who's school/building this is? We have got to get better at branding and marketing. Especially in the rapidly growing upstate.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing all of the facilities info that you do.

Reactions: SCBobo85
That's the Greenville hospital system logo. And why isn't it 100% clear who's school/building this is? We have got to get better at branding and marketing. Especially in the rapidly growing upstate.

Seriously though, thanks for sharing all of the facilities info that you do.
I wish it would include more USC. This is the most USC gets on the hospital logo:

old_logo.jpg

Here is the School of Medicine logo:

greenville_logo.jpg

Thanks for posting. Where in G'ville is this? I lived there in the late 90's. Amazing what has happened in that town over the past 20 years.
Grove Rd, right down the street from me. It's the same block with Greenville Memorial Hospital, Faris and Grove.

I wasn't even aware we were adding a second medical school.

I wish it would include more USC. This is the most USC gets on the hospital logo:

old_logo.jpg

Here is the School of Medicine logo:

greenville_logo.jpg

Like others have said, we NEED to get MUCH better at the branding of our university.

If Clemson had anything to do with this, the building would be orange. there would be signs all over the property as well as the interstate in both directions and the Greenville Hospital Logo would be a small sticker on the bottom corner of the front door. Their ICAR facility on I-85 is seen by at least a half of a million every day and for those who have not seen it, it is unmistakably Clemson. Clemson had taken over the Bon Secours Arena well BEFORE last years high school graduation ceremonies. There are flags, signs, murals, logos, ads on the marquee, etc. all over that place.

If this is going to be a University of South Carolina School of Medicine, there should be NO QUESTION of our affiliation!!! GHS can have a small sticker on the bottom corner of the front door.

Nice, but this was a HUGE waste of taxpayer dollars. Our state didn't need another medical school. Amazing that our "conservative" politicians can't raise the gas tax to fix and expand our state's horrendous roads, yet they can commit millions to build a medical school that isn't needed and many millions more that will be required to maintain it...

Nice, but this was a HUGE waste of taxpayer dollars. Our state didn't need another medical school. Amazing that our "conservative" politicians can't raise the gas tax to fix and expand our state's horrendous roads, yet they can commit millions to build a medical school that isn't needed and many millions more that will be required to maintain it...
Greenville Hospital System is funding it, not the tax payers.

"Youkey said the medical school, which receives no state taxpayer funds, is on track financially. He said Greenville Hospital System is committed to $40 million of funding support in the first 10 years of the school’s operations, a period when the school is ramping up enrollment and when there is less tuition money available."

http://gsabusiness.com/news/47066-g...eives-2-200-applicants-for-second-class?rss=0

Reactions: john8220

"Youkey said the medical school, which receives no state taxpayer funds, is on track financially. He said Greenville Hospital System is committed to $40 million of funding support in the first 10 years of the school’s operations, a period when the school is ramping up enrollment and when there is less tuition money available."

http://gsabusiness.com/news/47066-g...eives-2-200-applicants-for-second-class?rss=0

Don't let facts get in the way.....

I agree with most on this thread. Have to start doing a LOT better job branding. I know there are politics galore with these types of things but USC has to start being ALOT more aggressive in getting its name out there in this state. Let the people know its a USC school. Enough of all these schools (MUSC etc etc) wanting to branch off and make their own brand. Start consolidating and make people aware of USC. Its a ton of politics and red tape but they have to start.

To say it isn't needed is your opinion but it's completely off base. I have a wife that wants to attend MUSC and become a NP but we can't pick up our family and move to Charleston for this. Now this dream of hers has become a reality with this school being built less than a hour from our home. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean there aren't thousands of people that will.

So this facility was built and outfitted with the latest medical education technology and will be operated, staffed, and maintained for the next 10 years, all for the $40M GHS is providing??

This current arrangement with GHS was done to give the impression the 4 year medical school wouldn't be funded by taxpayers, placating those who would rather have seen existing 4 year medical schools in Columbia or Charleston expanded.

So this facility was built and outfitted with the latest medical education technology and will be operated, staffed, and maintained for the next 10 years, all for the $40M GHS is providing??

This current arrangement with GHS was done to give the impression the 4 year medical school wouldn't be funded by taxpayers, placating those who would rather have seen existing 4 year medical schools in Columbia or Charleston expanded.
MUSC isn't part of our University system.

Also, we are the University of South Carolina, not the University of Columbia. USC felt a presence was needed in the Upstate, which is the largest combined metro area in the state of South Carolina. It also felt that it needed a good working education with students working side by side with doctors in a hospital. The USC School of Medicine in Columbia falls short in a lot of those aspects, and its partnership with Palmetto Health Richland only goes so far.

USC found the right partner in GHS. It found a partner that was willing to fund the school and give the students hands on experience with an inside track at medical jobs as soon as they graduate. It's a hell of a deal, IMO.

Every time I see one of your posts, I kick myself in the ass. I was on partial scholarship in Architorture at MSU and for some stupid reason (I hated art, but loved the engineering design) I switched majors and transferred home.

Here is the USC School of Medicine at Greenville.

Logo which incorporates USC's logo. Yes, this is the logo that you can see at some CU athletic events.

tn_GHS_3_x_3__Green_logo_copy.png

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_Exterior-Pan-2_FTR.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_021.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_024.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_030.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_005.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_012.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_001.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_015.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_011.jpg

USC_Health_Science_Edbldg_028.jpg
How long before the plowmen stage a coup and "takeover" the branch of USC's medical school? I realize that the students need the training but at some point I could foresee this branch becoming independent and later affiliating with the plowmen because of proximity. With the right combination of interference/influence from the governor's office and like minded state legislators, they'll spin it like a top.

To say it isn't needed is your opinion but it's completely off base. I have a wife that wants to attend MUSC and become a NP but we can't pick up our family and move to Charleston for this. Now this dream of hers has become a reality with this school being built less than a hour from our home. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean there aren't thousands of people that will.

On this specific point my opinion isn't as strong, especially because of stories such as yours and the amount of applications the Upstate Med School is receiving (the market speaks). The problem I have is that MUSC has been trying to expand programs for YEARS and the funding would be blocked by Upstate Republicans who would say expansion wasn't needed, and here's the stupidity that results: MUSC's Associate to Bachelors bridge nursing program only accepts about 40 students, but the demand is HUGE. They can't get funding to expand the program, so ANOTHER STATE SCHOOL, Francis Marion, is opening up a regional campus in Mt. Pleasant to offer this same bridge program. Since Francis Marion is located in the Pee Dee, those Republicans support funding and get their allies in the Upstate delegation to go along. It's ridiculous.

Meanwhile, how much of our time and money is wasted either sitting in traffic on congested roads, or repairing our cars from the wear and tear of crumbling roads? What's traffic going to be like when all these companies that are building factories start operating? How much revenue does USC athletics (particularly basketball) lose because the drive on I-26 from Charleston is so congested it's not even worth making the trip for a two hour game?

Reactions: dansby660

Also, we are the University of South Carolina, not the University of Columbia. USC felt a presence was needed in the Upstate, which is the largest combined metro area in the state of South Carolina. It also felt that it needed a good working education with students working side by side with doctors in a hospital. The USC School of Medicine in Columbia falls short in a lot of those aspects, and its partnership with Palmetto Health Richland only goes so far.

USC found the right partner in GHS. It found a partner that was willing to fund the school and give the students hands on experience with an inside track at medical jobs as soon as they graduate. It's a hell of a deal, IMO.

With the way you've explained it, and the amount of demand to date mentioned in the piece you posted, I now agree 100% with the need for this school. Hopefully our legislature will be as creative and diligent to address the many other needs of this state.

How long before the plowmen stage a coup and "takeover" the branch of USC's medical school? I realize that the students need the training but at some point I could foresee this branch becoming independent and later affiliating with the plowmen because of proximity. With the right combination of interference/influence from the governor's office and like minded state legislators, they'll spin it like a top.
Clemson will never have a school of medicine. That would practically be a declaration of war.

When my dad found out he had terminal cancer, we checked with The Medical School at GHS about donating his body for research. My dad was always a Gamecock fan and he felt such pride in donating his body so that students and doctors would be able to learn more about this awful disease. That was 2 years ago...one of the most amazing places I've visited. The students and doctors learn on robots when a human body isn't available. Absolutely amazing! So thankful the place is/was there.

Reactions: uscbeckham
More tech mumbo jumbo than I care to be involved with. It gets worse every GD day.

I'm not sure about the details of why it has been hidden now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT