ADVERTISEMENT

Very critical article on Holbrook

This is the first year of my life that I can remember not "following" the Gamecock baseball program. Every year my family and I go to several games home and away (there are 5 of us). And I have never missed a Gamecock game in Greenville until this year. This year however, before the season ever began we decided not to waste our time and money on another year of Chad Holbrook baseball. If he is allowed to continue to stay there will be more like us in the future.

I want him gone so that I can watch and ENJOY Gamecock baseball again.

You're basically admitting that you are a front-runner. Don't get me wrong -- I totally understand the family argument. But if 9-9 in the best conference in Americas is enough to stop a large percentage of fans from showing up, then perhaps we don't have enough true baseball fans to support the size of the stadium we built. After all, LSU still lead the nation in attendance during the Smoke Laval years, so even the considerable drop off in performance isn't a sufficient excuse.

Very good read (unfortunately). He had me at;

" The first is you never hire a legendary alumni to lead your program. "
Which is such a crock. If we had a chance to hire a "legendary alumni" as coach in another sport he'd be jumping at the chance along with everyone else

You're basically admitting that you are a front-runner. Don't get me wrong -- I totally understand the family argument. But if 9-9 in the best conference in Americas is enough to stop a large percentage of fans from showing up, then perhaps we don't have enough true baseball fans to support the size of the stadium we built. After all, LSU still lead the nation in attendance during the Smoke Laval years, so even the considerable drop off in performance isn't a sufficient excuse.
Smoke still went to Omaha twice during his five years. He was good, just not Bertman good.

Smoke still went to Omaha twice during his five years. He was good, just not Bertman good.
His lack of control of the players got him fired. They were running the show at the end. That is one reason Mainieri was unpopular with many upperclassmen when he got there because he put his foot down and wouldn't let them get away with even a 10th of what Smoke allowed.

Reactions: rogue cock
Which is such a crock. If we had a chance to hire a "legendary alumni" as coach in another sport he'd be jumping at the chance along with everyone else

Carolina doesn't really have anything like that. A few guys have gone into coaching, but no one is proven enough yet. Personally, I'd love to see Landon get a higher profile job, but he's not ready yet

Carolina doesn't really have anything like that. A few guys have gone into coaching, but no one is proven enough yet. Personally, I'd love to see Landon get a higher profile job, but he's not ready yet
Bit of an apples to oranges comparison but everyone was champing at the bit for Lattimore to have a job here

I haven't seen many others out there writing anything critical.on him, but here you go http://gamecocknews.net
I appreciate the frustration, and the need to vent, but want to point out some issues with the article:

The first is you never hire a legendary alumni to lead your program.
Barber needs to review his grammar. Alumni is plural. Male singular is alumnus.

The final belief I've always had is that an athletic director should never hire a coach that he is friends with.
Except that Chad and Ray were not friends. Chad specifically contacted Ray in a professional manner about his interest in USC. The two were not friends at the time.

Finally, with all the talk about getting rid of Chad, with whom would you replace him? I think you can forget about Monte Lee. Next?

I appreciate the frustration, and the need to vent, but want to point out some issues with the article:

The first is you never hire a legendary alumni to lead your program.
Barber needs to review his grammar. Alumni is plural. Male singular is alumnus.

The final belief I've always had is that an athletic director should never hire a coach that he is friends with.
Except that Chad and Ray were not friends. Chad specifically contacted Ray in a professional manner about his interest in USC. The two were not friends at the time.

Finally, with all the talk about getting rid of Chad, with whom would you replace him? I think you can forget about Monte Lee. Next?
Not sure about the friends part, but they knew each other. But I don't believe the highlighted part is accurate at all. IIRC Tanner had offered the assistant position to Chad several years prior and Chad was unable to take the position due to medical issues with his child. And after Lee left to take the HC position at CoC, Ray recontacted Chad about the assistant position.

Holy freakin moly!

There isn't one thing in that article that isn't 100% accurate.

I started saying it in 2014 that Holbrook will take our program down. I got blasted for it. What say you people that blasted me now?!
They should say you were right.

Our expectation shouldn't be college world series with Holbrook. Clemson's should with ML.

Holbrook, IMO, has never been a good head coach since day 1. My expectations were out the window quick when he took over.

Hate to say it, again IMO, Clemson has the best head coach in all of college baseball. When he gets another year to get the pitching staff bolstered Clemson will be knocking at the door for a trip to the CWS every year.

That's the difference between a bad hire, and a good hire. Tanner needs to cut ties asap or move on himself.

Reactions: RaginRooster
At least someone isn't afraid to say what fans are thinking. It is ridiculous how these media folks continue to back Chad because he's such a nice guy. He maybe nice, but he's paid big money to win

Reactions: RaginRooster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT