ADVERTISEMENT

Very critical article on Holbrook

Great article that lays it all out there. This doesn't give the admittedly few Holbrook apologists much fodder.

Reactions: RaginRooster
I haven't seen many others out there writing anything critical.on him, but here you go http://gamecocknews.net
REAL good and truthful article! I'm sorry to say this because I really liked Holbrook & wanted him to be successful here, but from how it's worked out onfield, lack of player development with the awesome recruiting classes he's brought in, and his recent attitude toward the fans has changed my mind!

How can anybody argue with anything he said ? We are 8th if vandy and Mizz win today. We will 10th in the SEC.

Very good read (unfortunately). He had me at;

" The first is you never hire a legendary alumni to lead your program. "

If he stays how on earth could we be better next year? More than likely no Schmidt, Johnson and Crowe. Plus, good or bad the only guys he uses in the bullpen seniors Scott, Bowers and Reagan will be gone. All the pitchers except Hill who see action on SEC weekends will be gone.

This article just says what many on here have been saying for years. You just do not hand over one of the top programs in the country to an unproven assistant coach. Also the Smoke Laval / Skip Bertman example is better than the Will Muschamp / Urban Myer example he mentions.

Holy freakin moly!

There isn't one thing in that article that isn't 100% accurate.

I started saying it in 2014 that Holbrook will take our program down. I got blasted for it. What say you people that blasted me now?!

I don't disagree with any points he makes in the article, but several stand out imo:

- Don't hire an assistant coach for a HC position

- Most Carolina fans did NOT want Tanner fired during that relative 'dry spell' prior to our winning the 2 NC's

- We ARE an elite baseball program (record, CWS appearances, attendance, etc.) and we deserve better

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
If things continue Tanner won't have to fire him, he'll quit. I gave Chad the benefit or the doubt as long as I could until the 'It's a hard task to hit a baseball" comment and the thing about the fans yelling at his guys. Supporting the coach is something I have tried to do until that coach comes right out (in so many words) and says that he can't coach a hitter.

I don't care for the "us against all ya'll" tee shirts they wear either.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Very Critical Article on Holbrook
I haven't seen many others out there writing anything critical.on him, but here you go http://gamecocknews.net

From Matt Barber:
Hey guys... I wrote an article putting in everything that you guys said on the message board for the last two months. But since I couldn't post it where anybody would read it, I decided to post it here on FGF where all my friends could like it.
images

This is the first year of my life that I can remember not "following" the Gamecock baseball program. Every year my family and I go to several games home and away (there are 5 of us). And I have never missed a Gamecock game in Greenville until this year. This year however, before the season ever began we decided not to waste our time and money on another year of Chad Holbrook baseball. If he is allowed to continue to stay there will be more like us in the future.

I want him gone so that I can watch and ENJOY Gamecock baseball again.

Very Critical Article on Holbrook

From Matt Barber:
Hey guys... I wrote an article putting in everything that you guys said on the message board for the last two months. But since I couldn't post it where anybody would read it, I decided to post it here on FGF where all my friends could like it.
images
Do you want to dispute anything he wrote in the article or just attempt to marginalize the author of it?

SS2, I used to enjoy your posts and agree with the majority of them, but your defense of Holbrook, especially in the manner in which you are doing it...not addressing the points brought up, but just disparaging the author of them or as in another thread questioning the effectiveness of the coach of another team as a defense of ours...is not your typical manner. Your posts in defense of someone or something used to be generally well-reasoned.

Very good read (unfortunately). He had me at;

" The first is you never hire a legendary alumni (sic) to lead your program. "
very, very good read

just curious...

is this a reference to any particular legendary alumnus?

thanks

go cocks!

very, very good read

just curious...

is this a reference to any particular legendary alumnus?

thanks

go cocks!
My first though was Felton....but not sure how "legendary" he was. The other thought was that he was attempting to be proactive against the obvious Landon Powell push.

Reactions: 92Pony
[/QUOTE]Rogue cock:
SS2, I used to enjoy your posts and agree with the majority of them, but your defense of Holbrook, especially in the manner in which you are doing it...not addressing the points brought up, but just disparaging the author of them or as in another thread questioning the effectiveness of the coach of another team as a defense of ours...is not your typical manner. Your posts in defense of someone or something used to be generally well-reasoned.[/QUOTE]

Rogue.. thanks for your post. A lot of people have regarded my post as defending Chad Holbrook. Not a single time have I said that I support him or that I hope that he remains as head coach. I have constantly stated that we should wait until the end of the year and see where it ends up. What happens if we get into tournament and get hot, like in basketball?? If we make Omaha, what happens then?? If we only make a Super Regional, what happens then?? That's 2 in two years and three out of five. If we don't make a regional, then we all know what's going to happen because that's two out of three years.

My posts have been with statistics where posters just put up anything that want to so they can make their point that Holbrook is a bad coach. If they have the right to just make up stuff and post it, then I should have the right to post statistics to show they are inaccurate. If someone thinks that's supporting Holbrook, then that's on them. I have never said I support him.

On questioning the effectiveness of a coach of another team - again, I posted statistics. I didn't anoint Lee as the Chosen One. Gamecock supporters on this board did. We don't need another Greg Marshall. And yet these same posters ridicule clemsux's other notable coach ad nauseum. Why does Lee get a break when Dabo does not?? Because he use to coach here?? Well, that ship has sailed. His team has beaten the Gamecocks twice in a row. You think he has not celebrated those wins? He's a Tater now.

And finally on Barbers' post about his blog, or whatever it was. If it's not a LOOK AT ME post, why didn't he just post in the normal way? Why does he have to make it a link to his blog?? To give it more authority?? That's just another look at me in my book, but then that's just me. I'm not saying that's it is an inaccurate article. Probably 99% of it has been posted on here before. Just didn't like that he chose to link his own blog or whatever.

Hope this helps you and others understand my posts.[/QUOTE]

SS2, I used to enjoy your posts and agree with the majority of them, but your defense of Holbrook, especially in the manner in which you are doing it...not addressing the points brought up, but just disparaging the author of them or as in another thread questioning the effectiveness of the coach of another team as a defense of ours...is not your typical manner. Your posts in defense of someone or something used to be generally well-reasoned.

Rogue.. thanks for your post. A lot of people have regarded my post as defending Chad Holbrook. Not a single time have I said that I support him or that I hope that he remains as head coach. I have constantly stated that we should wait until the end of the year and see where it ends up. What happens if we get into tournament and get hot, like in basketball?? If we make Omaha, what happens then?? If we only make a Super Regional, what happens then?? That's 2 in two years and three out of five. If we don't make a regional, then we all know what's going to happen because that's two out of three years.

My posts have been with statistics where posters just put up anything that want to so they can make their point that Holbrook is a bad coach. If they have the right to just make up stuff and post it, then I should have the right to post statistics to show they are inaccurate. If someone thinks that's supporting Holbrook, then that's on them. I have never said I support him.

On questioning the effectiveness of a coach of another team - again, I posted statistics. I didn't anoint Lee as the Chosen One. Gamecock supporters on this board did. We don't need another Greg Marshall. And yet these same posters ridicule clemsux's other notable coach ad nauseum. Why does Lee get a break when Dabo does not?? Because he use to coach here?? Well, that ship has sailed. His team has beaten the Gamecocks twice in a row. You think he has not celebrated those wins? He's a Tater now.

And finally on Barbers' post about his blog, or whatever it was. If it's not a LOOK AT ME post, why didn't he just post in the normal way? Why does he have to make it a link to his blog?? To give it more authority?? That's just another look at me in my book, but then that's just me. I'm not saying that's it is an inaccurate article. Probably 99% of it has been posted on here before. Just didn't like that he chose to link his own blog or whatever.

Hope this helps you and others understand my posts.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Gotcha....and thank you. That's the kind of posts I'm used to seeing from you. Well reasoned...and well-stated.

Reactions: Silverspur02
My first though was Felton....but not sure how "legendary" he was. The other thought was that he was attempting to be proactive against the obvious Landon Powell push.
Yes, Landon Powell. Just because someone was a great player for us, doesn't mean they'll be a great coach for us. Any time there's a coaching vacancy, alum names are thrown around like they're the best thing out there. With absolutely NO DISRESPECT INTENDED to any of our former stars, we are an elite, Div I baseball program. We deserve an absolute TOP-SHELF proven can't-miss HC. As I have said before, no more buddy hires, and no more lazy hires. When the time comes, go. Get. The. Best. Now, IF, Landon Powell (or any other alum) meets that criteria, then sign them up.

Spot on. It's funny, I'm listening to Teddy Hefner this moring and he still thinks a small vocal minority are not pleased with Holbrook. He doesn't pay attention I guess

I sent this to Kornblut. I'm sure he'll agree with most points. My dad on the other hand sent this to Pastides. He said he'd read it and get back. Not expecting much to happen but interesting nonetheless.

Holy freakin moly!

There isn't one thing in that article that isn't 100% accurate.

I started saying it in 2014 that Holbrook will take our program down. I got blasted for it. What say you people that blasted me now?!
You may have turned out to be right but how on earth you knew that at the time is beyond me! I thought he was a great hire and hoped he'd succeed & we'd reload & keep going. Don't think I was right but unless you had some inside info most didn't know about him I don't understand why you'd have predicted that at the time!

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT