ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Dept of Ed Cancels Advanced Math

Whatever your political persuasion, the public school system is in rapid decline, and has been for sometime. The overall loss of faith in the system coupled with trying to repair every societal I'll, including bad parenting and social conflicts, has sucked the life out of teachers and demotivated good students.

Chasing the repair of societal ills in the classroom is the last nail for many parents. We are about to see three large, divergent systems: public, private and homeschooling. We are probably on the cusp of a similar alignment at the University level, though that is slower.

The politicization of all things inevitably leads to the destruction of free and civil societies. And we are now "hyperpoliticized."
Actually it’s been getting mostly better our public education system was absolute trash in the 90s particularly in math

Dumbing down the masses! All a part of their plan to control. I fear it is too late to stop it at this point....
Sad but devastatingly true! Gonna be an interesting thing to watch these next few decades here within the good ol' u s of a.

Reactions: uscedge21
Feeble,

As you know I respect you although I disagree with you.

Serious, non gaslighting question here.

What say you on charter schools?

students objectively get a better education now than 30 years ago. That is when everyone passed us, other countries advanced and we hung on to stuff that doesn’t work.

charter schools, at the end of the day, are very similar to public education. Especially when you factor in socieconomic factors - scores and other assessments are similar. Often they actually perform worse

(https://www.ncsl.org/research/education/charter-schools-research-and-report.aspx)

its more about educational philosophy which in theory would be easier to implement in charter schools but not necessarily the case - plenty of public schools (particularly new ones) are founded on more modern pedagogical philosophies.

students objectively get a better education now than 30 years ago. That is when everyone passed us, other countries advanced and we hung on to stuff that doesn’t work.

charter schools, at the end of the day, are very similar to public education. Especially when you factor in socieconomic factors - scores and other assessments are similar. Often they actually perform worse

(https://www.ncsl.org/research/education/charter-schools-research-and-report.aspx)

its more about educational philosophy which in theory would be easier to implement in charter schools but not necessarily the case - plenty of public schools (particularly new ones) are founded on more modern pedagogical philosophies.
I’m not debating that schools are not better.

I was asking about charter schools because there is a political stance tied to the unions where many local districts around the country will not approve new charter schools.Which also is not THE point of my question.

You established you have credentials in the field. Asking your personal opinion.

I’m not debating that schools are not better.

I was asking about charter schools because there is a political stance tied to the unions where many local districts around the country will not approve new charter schools.Which also is not THE point of my question.

You established you have credentials in the field. Asking your personal opinion.
As I stated they are no better than most public schools in regards to testing. And honestly there is such a wide variety I can’t speak in generalities regarding their effectiveness

As I stated they are no better than most public schools in regards to testing. And honestly there is such a wide variety I can’t speak in generalities regarding their effectiveness
Let me be more specific then.

There are plenty of examples of terribly run school systems in NJ for instance. In this one off example charter schools significantly outperformed the public schools. Using political pressure the public schools got a moratorium passed on new charter schools.

I’m asking in such a scenario where the big wheels of government aren’t fixing the local problem would you support charter schools?

Ah yes, the infamous "they" and the extremely vague threat of "control" - with the concession that there is real fear that nothing can be done. You sir win internet conspiracy theory bingo for today!
And you are a part of the "they" crowd......a victim of the indoctrination that is all too prevalent in schools today. I am old enough to see what has been happening in our school systems for the last 5 decades and it is very sad. You, young man, have been controlled!

And you are a part of the "they" crowd......a victim of the indoctrination that is all too prevalent in schools today. I am old enough to see what has been happening in our school systems for the last 5 decades and it is very sad. You, young man, have been controlled!
Our education system has been steadily improving and has been pushing inquiry and critical thinking more and more - that’s the opposite of control

Our education system has been steadily improving and has been pushing inquiry and critical thinking more and more - that’s the opposite of control
WHAT??? You can not be serious. One needs only to look at our educational rankings on the world stage over past decades to see this is not true. WOKE thinking.......just wow!

WHAT??? You can not be serious. One needs only to look at our educational rankings on the world stage over past decades to see this is not true. WOKE thinking.......just wow!
Because other countries have changed and adapted and we drag our feet. We are better than what we were but we are so slow to adapt because whenever we do people lose their minds see: this thread

if we did some of the things some of the best educated schools in the nation did, the public would lose their minds

Can you imagine what we would be ranked in the world rankings if we were still operating the way we were in the 90s?

Finland is often tops in education, here are things they do that we would never allow here:

1. no standardized testing
2. Cooperation not competition
3. Starting at 9 years old
4. 5 hour school day
5. Focus on schools being a place of equity (what virginia is trying to do)

Last edited:
Finland is often tops in education, here are things they do that we would never allow here:

4. 5 hour school day
Have you ever been to the Scandinavian countries? I have. They are small, politically, ethnically homogeneous entities. They are simply no comparison to this complex, diverse, and "forever in conflict" political system.

Read this even-handed report below. It essentially debunks the idea we are moving forward at an acceptable rate.

State sponsored school will just continue to patch things up, adjust for an uncatchable rate of societal change, and consistently be behind in the race for better educated kids. Parents are responsible for their children. Let them keep their money and invest in their choices of education. Otherwise, the societal disagreements evident today will grow and spin out of control as more groups see their interests are not met. And the children, getting everything else but the best education, will suffer.

Reactions: cocks rule

4. 5 hour school day
Life’s not Fair......... never has been never will be

Winners and losers. You will be one or the other in everything you do.

losing is ok. It teaches humility, perseverance, drive and creative thinking.

equity is what you have in your home

God is good. period.

Have you ever been to the Scandinavian countries? I have. They are small, politically, ethnically homogeneous entities. They are simply no comparison to this complex, diverse, and "forever in conflict" political system.

Read this even-handed report below. It essentially debunks the idea we are moving forward at an acceptable rate.

State sponsored school will just continue to patch things up, adjust for an uncatchable rate of societal change, and consistently be behind in the race for better educated kids. Parents are responsible for their children. Let them keep their money and invest in their choices of education. Otherwise, the societal disagreements evident today will grow and spin out of control as more groups see their interests are not met. And the children, getting everything else but the best education, will suffer.

Bingo.

Oh I never said it was at an acceptable rate I said we are moving forward ie better than we were in the 90s

and yes the country is very different but I really don’t see how any of the things that I listed would be in conflict maybe besides the 5 hour school day

Life’s not Fair......... never has been never will be

Winners and losers. You will be one or the other in everything you do.

losing is ok. It teaches humility, perseverance, drive and creative thinking.

equity is what you have in your home

God is good. period.
Cool but have you ever had a job that collaboration and communication were not a huge aspect?

the American education system with a focus on the development of understanding and progress of work by only a single person is unique in that it is incredibly rare in the actual world

You see here is exactly why our education system stinks - we have tried and true methods that work for other countries but we refuse to apply it because “competition is good” and “it won’t work here”

its hilarious and sad

Reactions: Dizzy01
If y’all want to do the research (I have) regarding collaboration, focus on equity, and deemphasis on standardized testing and it’s results in American classrooms (very positive) then go ahead.

it works

But it will never be prevalent because Americans would freak out. Once again see: this thread

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
Cool but have you ever had a job that collaboration and communication were not a huge aspect?

the American education system with a focus on the development of understanding and progress of work by only a single person is unique in that it is incredibly rare in the actual world
I worked, communicated and collaborated successfully for over 35 years. School should be the 3 basics and should be completed in 10 years IMO. After that trade or higher education starts. The federal government should never be involved in education. Discipline must be reinstated in schools and the country in general. Act like a fool get beat like a fool. Peaceful Law Abiding Americans rights come first.

I worked, communicated and collaborated successfully for over 35 years. School should be the 3 basics and should be completed in 10 years IMO. After that trade or higher education starts. The federal government should never be involved in education. Discipline must be reinstated in schools and the country in general. Act like a fool get beat like a fool. Peaceful Law Abiding Americans rights come first.
If you think corporal punishment leads to positive outcomes you clearly have done zero research in those 35 years. That is very very very basic developmental understanding.

also just about, if not every country on the list above us has a higher government involvement than us, you couldn’t be more wrong

Classic American response though: need to improve schools? No way we can focus on collaboration- we will just literally beat them instead

If you think corporal punishment leads to positive outcomes you clearly have done zero research in those 35 years. That is very very very basic developmental understanding.

also just about, if not every country on the list above us has a higher government involvement than us, you couldn’t be more wrong
I know from personal experience. I lived it growing up, going through school, watched it play out first hand and delivered it as a parent. The last 4 generations of my family have enjoyed a 100% success rate. I don’t know where you get your info from and don’t really care because you can’t beat 100% success.

What system did they use educating the antifa, and BLM rioters who are burning America to the ground? Whatever it was it looks like an epic fail.

Reactions: atlanta cock#

Apparently highly educated children
If your goal is teaching them how to get fire you killed it!! Well done........🔥 🔥

I know from personal experience. I lived it growing up, going through school, watched it play out first hand and delivered it as a parent. The last 4 generations of my family have enjoyed a 100% success rate. I don’t know where you get your info from and don’t really care because you can’t beat 100% success.

What system did they use educating the antifa, and BLM rioters who are burning America to the ground? Whatever it was it looks like an epic fail.
Anecdotal experiences is by far the worst evidence, it’s non scientific and leads to a lot of bad theories.

youre wrong it’s that simple and there is no conversation possible because there is nothing that has more data regarding development and evidence backing it up than corporal punishment (particularly in schools) having bad outcomes

Anecdotal experiences is by far the worst evidence, it’s non scientific and leads to a lot of bad theories.

youre wrong it’s that simple and there is no conversation possible because there is nothing that has more data regarding development and evidence backing it up than corporal punishment having bad outcomes
100% winning. 5th generation started 3 years ago. But since you said we are wrong we will stop..............Liberals are funny creatures. Thanks for the entertainment brother.

One last question. Adult violence or corporal punishment. What’s your preference?

100% winning. 5th generation started 3 years ago. But since you said we are wrong we will stop..............Liberals are funny creatures. Thanks for the entertainment brother.

One last question. Adult violence or corporal punishment. What’s your preference?
Well since corporal punishment is a contributing factor that leads to adult violence, I’m not sure why you think it’s one or the other.

once again this is basic development science and research

Wait till robots take over the fast food industry . Good Bye $15 hour jobs
They have been working towards that for years.

mcdonalds-mcd-introduces-automated-kiosks-for-ordering-food.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT