ADVERTISEMENT

Waaay OT: Art heists

92Pony

Jan 18, 2011
I saw a story on TV this morning about an art heist - a bunch of paintings stolen years ago - where a man believed to have critical info on the heist had just died, taking that information with him to the grave. That story got me to thinking; Why do people steal paintings?? What do you do with stolen paintings? Do you take them home and hang them in your living room, and hope your friends don't recognize them as stolen? I guess, a lot of times they're sold off to other crooks. But in the end, what's the point? Maybe they end up in mancaves of the 'rich and famous'. Maybe those 'rich and famous' don't rat one another out? Or do you have to be an art connoisseur to understand? 🙃

I think the final resting place for these paintings is much like you mentioned, but not the "rich and famous's" man caves, but in the homes the people who are so rich that most can't even fathom their wealth. What do you get the man who has everything? Something that is unattainable - like an original artwork that should be in a museum. It's an ego thing - not even an art appreciation thing. (Though they may like the artist as well.)

I think the final resting place for these paintings is much like you mentioned, but not the "rich and famous's" man caves, but in the homes the people who are so rich that most can't even fathom their wealth. What do you get the man who has everything? Something that is unattainable - like an original artwork that should be in a museum. It's an ego thing - not even an art appreciation thing. (Though they may like the artist as well.)
This

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT