ADVERTISEMENT

Wade/LSU

The NCAA said they were putting the biggest cases (LSU, Arizona, Auburn) on the back burner until this spring. They needed to get all their ducks in a row as a misstep in prosecuting/sentencing these schools/coaches in the NCAA infractions process will undoubtedly lead to a lawsuit in real court.

Reactions: booref
The NCAA said they were putting the biggest cases (LSU, Arizona, Auburn) on the back burner until this spring. They needed to get all their ducks in a row as a misstep in prosecuting/sentencing these schools/coaches in the NCAA infractions process will undoubtedly lead to a lawsuit in real court.
The back burner that will never get turned on.

You know we got a letter right? We just absolutely suck at doing it.
We got a letter about something that happened between an assistant coach who is no longer here regarding an “infraction” involving him taking money from an agent to help get the agent closer to a player who was already here. Nothing they have accused “us” of was involving our head coach or swaying any players to come here, there is no proof that I know of that shows for sure the agent even did talk to Dozier before he was eligible, and nothing we are accused of affected the outcome of any games... So yeah we suck at cheating in the sense that we have NOT CHEATED. LSU’s coach is ON TAPE TALKING ABOUT PAY FOR PLAY DEALS!!! There is no correlation or comparison here... If they try to vacate any wins our athletic department needs to sue the NCAA because the fact they even sent US a letter is BS.

I think for some there’s a real disconnect about the upside of cheating. To me there is no upside. You either get caught and everyone knows, or you get away with it and only you know. I’m not sure which is worse. For the rest of your life you will know you won because you cheated. Where is the upside?

I think for some there’s a real disconnect about the upside of cheating. To me there is no upside. You either get caught and everyone knows, or you get away with it and only you know. I’m not sure which is worse. For the rest of your life you will know you won because you cheated. Where is the upside?

What is the upside to losing? I mean consistently, I mean you get to go your whole life coping by telling yourself you're really better, but the other guy cheated. Or you could win knowing that in a world full of cheaters, you were the best playing by the rules that reality presented. Not cheating if being too fearful to try and win, but settling for a self satisfied cope instead.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We got a letter about something that happened between an assistant coach who is no longer here regarding an “infraction” involving him taking money from an agent to help get the agent closer to a player who was already here. Nothing they have accused “us” of was involving our head coach or swaying any players to come here, there is no proof that I know of that shows for sure the agent even did talk to Dozier before he was eligible, and nothing we are accused of affected the outcome of any games... So yeah we suck at cheating in the sense that we have NOT CHEATED. LSU’s coach is ON TAPE TALKING ABOUT PAY FOR PLAY DEALS!!! There is no correlation or comparison here... If they try to vacate any wins our athletic department needs to sue the NCAA because the fact they even sent US a letter is BS.
Now you're getting it....we didnt do nuffin. Now teach Ray how to say it. Lmao literally lol

Reactions: thisisnextyr
Yeah; it’s lol alright. Lol indeed. Millennials on a sports forum being “winners”; what else is new. Give em a little trophy so they’ll feel better about themselves.

I don't think it's right, but I would argue that there's a big upside to successfully cheating in the NCAA. Here is why:

The NCAA is having their steroid era type conundrum, similar to MLB in the 90's and early 00's. The NCAA's biggest problem is that the idea of amateurism is severely outdated. Kids today want to get paid and some could care less about classes.

Unlike MLB, the NCAA is in a much worse position, because they actually need the cheaters. The cheaters brands sell merchandise (UNC Hoops prime example) and the kids who get paid the most are usually superstars. So, I would also venture as far as saying that deep down the NCAA doesn't mind schools cheating or kids getting paid, as long as those kids earn them money and don't draw attention to it.

Certainly, when a kid does something stupid and gets caught, they put on a show, strip their eligibility, and cast them to the curb. But when was the last time they actually did it to a superstar. Reality is kids like Cam Newton, who brought ratings, got a pass even in the most egregious circumstances.

Now, there is a growing movement with the XFL and D League where kids have the ability to skip college and go earn a paycheck. Baseball has been this way for years, and that's why the college baseball brand isn't as strong. I imagine that college is still the primary option in Football and Basketball because the sports media doesn't embrace kids who go the alternative route yet. Ultimately, one Lebronesque superstar who wants to start getting money and endorsements could break the trend quickly for a number of future players, and at that point the NCAA has serious competition. Competition leads to lower viewing, which ultimately leads to smaller contracts and revenue shares by member institutions. My guess is the media doesn't embrace these options because they have a fortune tied up in current contracts for college football and basketball, so selfishly they're doing this to protect their own interests. As the current contracts expire, it will be interesting to see if the Networks use this threat as leverage to reduce payouts to the NCAA.

So, back to your original question of cheating, we understand that the NCAA will soon have XFL and D-League trying to poach high school kids. I believe that in order to protect their empire, the NCAA will do what it takes: including sanctioning cheaters. They have already set that precedent when they didn't throw the book at UNC for Academic Fraud, let Cam play in the SEC Championship, or when they failed to launch an investigation into Clemson's assistant basketball coach discussing their football team cheating.

The cheaters who have built a brand will continue to be swept under the rug, and schools like ours will be the scapegoat just like we are seeing with this bullshit letter of inquiry from the NCAA. So, unfortunately, we either get good at cheating or we get the shaft for the next 25 years until the NCAA falls apart.

Hate it, but that's the world we play in.

I think there is a lot of truth to the long post above. I also think the NCAA is more focused on adults taking advantage of college stars for their own personal financial gain than they are about kids making a little money while they are in college. When it gets to be a large sum - like being paid to play at a particular school (which we know happens) they are going to be more zealous. That's because schools like Clemson, UGA, Bama, Texas, Michigan and the others have more wealthy alumni and money to give them an unfair advantage.

I think they are behind the times in enforcement though. They don't know what to do when money is funneled through various legal channels and charities so that investigation is almost impossible and enforcement is difficult. There may be nothing they can do except watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT