ADVERTISEMENT

Walt Deptula is absolutely ripping Zion Williamson on today's show.

mavcock

Apr 20, 2002
Mauldin, SC
Says he isn't the player people think he is and that you have to search for videos of his skill set because all his videos are about his dunks. I can't tell if he's just pissed Zion trolled Clemson or that he really believes that. I was always skeptical of the competition that Zion had in high school, but people much smarter than me have said he is a very special player.

Says he isn't the player people think he is and that you have to search for videos of his skill set because all his videos are about his dunks. I can't tell if he's just pissed Zion trolled Clemson or that he really believes that. I was always skeptical of the competition that Zion had in high school, but people much smarter than me have said he is a very special player.
Of all the fan boy media on WCCP, Deptula and Qualk are tied for the worst and not anyone a Carolina fan should listen too.

Yep he is a loud tater. Plays both sides of the fence so he can say hes never wrong. it took wccp a a little while to get him in line with the tater ways but he caved in to save his paycheck Add that he hates Duke, I bet he blast the teenage kid for a week.

He had nothing negative to say until Zion trolled taters

Reactions: debordieu cock
It is crazy that a talking head and other fanbases got so bent out of shape a high school basketball players' college desicion. Zion literally said that people were speculating after every different school visit he went and to not believe the hype. Clemson fans played themselves.

Reactions: rogue cock
I had no clue who or what a Walt Deptula was until I saw this thread. Hard to find stuff on him, but he sounds like some transplant northerner (yankee) coming down here to talk Southern sports. What's up with that? Seems every time I turn around there's somebody who sounds like he ought to be in Michigan hating on Ohio State and instead he's down here claiming some kind of insider status.

Finebaum, who at least was a fine reporter before he turned into a talking head, grew up in Tennessee but he's a New Yorker by blood.

Sorry, but it just weirds me out. Besides, we're running out of room. Seriously.

I know, I get xenophobia sometimes ...

I can't tell if he's just pissed Zion trolled Clemson or that he really believes that.
That’s easy. Just ask yourself if he would be talking trash about the kid if he had committed to sCUm.
And the answers to that are 1) no, because he would piss sCUm off and lose any access and sources he has, piss his audience off, lose them, lose ratings and advertiser and eventually be fired and 2) everyone in taterland would claim the kid is the greatest player ever to walk the planet and his choosing sCUm was destiny because they are both the greatest on the planet...and he would be leading the cheers.

Nothing but another case of red-azz!

Interesting question: What path did WD take to end up on WCCP? If anybody knows. He definitely is not from Pickens county.

Well, they did go up against Christ School from NC who has 3 Div 1 prospects and Zion dropped 46 on them in a losing effort. I saw the highlights and Christ School has some really good high school players on their team.

Well, they did go up against Christ School from NC who has 3 Div 1 prospects and Zion dropped 46 on them in a losing effort. I saw the highlights and Christ School has some really good high school players on their team.

Again, independent HS league = church basketball league. If these kids truly were competitive and wanted to prove their greatness, they would crave to play against the best players and the best teams, not avoid them in church basketball or pickup games at the Y.

I corrected him one time on twitter (Told him he should use google from time to time) and he blocked me. I too wonder where he came from and how he ended up at WCCP.

I corrected him one time on twitter (Told him he should use google from time to time) and he blocked me. I too wonder where he came from and how he ended up at WCCP.

I have been blocked for some time now.. I made reference to his listeners as "groupies".. if you don't say something nice about Clemmmmmmm-Sonnnnnn, they block you.. Philpot has me blocked too..

Deptula claims to be the unbiased voice on that station, but is obvious that he knows who is paying him. Always a shine on Clemson. I remember about ten years ago when Purcell was still at Clemson and they had a pretty good team. Beat Duke soundly in Clemson one night. Next day Deptula is in air staying how you were seeing a transition in the ACC. That Clemson was rising to replace Duke as a power while Duke was falling to the new found greatness in Tater Town. Short lived as the next year Duke won NCAA and CU once again lost in first round. When I reminded him of that on Twitter, I immediately got blocked. Twitter is only for his minions that suck up to his opinions hoping for a pat on the head.

Williamson? Yea, he’s good. Some doubters because he chose in high school to play glorified church ball, but he did do the camps in the summer and excelled against top flight competition. If he wasn’t the real deal all of the blue blood programs wouldn’t have wasted all that time traveling to Spartanburg for the last year.

Reactions: mavcock
I had no clue who or what a Walt Deptula was until I saw this thread. Hard to find stuff on him, but he sounds like some transplant northerner (yankee) coming down here to talk Southern sports. What's up with that? Seems every time I turn around there's somebody who sounds like he ought to be in Michigan hating on Ohio State and instead he's down here claiming some kind of insider status.

Finebaum, who at least was a fine reporter before he turned into a talking head, grew up in Tennessee but he's a New Yorker by blood.

Sorry, but it just weirds me out. Besides, we're running out of room. Seriously.

I know, I get xenophobia sometimes ...
Supposedly Walt is from Tennessee, but he SOUNDS like an obnoxious yankee. He started with a 2 hour show and now he has a 3 hour show. He's an intelligent guy, but is constantly bashing someone or something. He will never admit he is wrong, brags about how great he is at identifying sports talent and has every excuse in the world when he makes an incorrect pick(or things don't go his way). Bottom line, he's a lonely, insecure bully.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
and apparently he has some connections to snakes, snake handler or something...seems to fit him perfectly, WEIRD!

Again, independent HS league = church basketball league. If these kids truly were competitive and wanted to prove their greatness, they would crave to play against the best players and the best teams, not avoid them in church basketball or pickup games at the Y.

I would think Zion has been to camps and played AAU tournaments to earn his ranking. He is probably on a team 90% of the year.

Williamson? Yea, he’s good. Some doubters because he chose in high school to play glorified church ball, but he did do the camps in the summer and excelled against top flight competition. If he wasn’t the real deal all of the blue blood programs wouldn’t have wasted all that time traveling to Spartanburg for the last year.

Yeah, he looks the part and he seems good...I just suspect the transition may take longer than the arrive in Durham next August, go thru 15 practices, dominate D1 college basketball and off to the NBA in May crowd thinks. He looks 25yo but he isn't a genetic freak like Shaq or Lebron? It is just different when you turn the corner in HS to be stopped by a bunch of HS kids vs turning the corner in college to face a bunch of other basketball special talented kids Even playing a school which has another D1 prospect isn't nearly the same as facing 13 other D1 players on a college court.

I just suspect that it may take a couple of seasons......Has he ever faced adversity in not being head and shoulders more talented\physically better than everyone else on the court?

It is just like going from Travel ball\HS baseball to D1 baseball where every pitcher has an out pitch...it takes time to get up to speed and figure out how to hit good pitches not just mistakes....

No one good at spotting talent or anything else is relegated to doing a talk radio sports show in Clemson, South Carolina.

Supposedly Walt is from Tennessee, but he SOUNDS like an obnoxious yankee. He started with a 2 hour show and now he has a 3 hour show. He's an intelligent guy, but is constantly bashing someone or something. He will never admit he is wrong, brags about how great he is at identifying sports talent and has every excuse in the world when he makes an incorrect pick(or things don't go his way). Bottom line, he's a lonely, insecure bully.

I hate to admit it but I used to listen to WCCP all the time because I was starving for local sports talk and for the longest time there was no one else to listen to where I live in the upstate.
Here is the story I remember about where Walt first joined the station. I can't remember if someone told me this or if it came from the old All Sports Talk board.
Seems Micky Plyler and Walt met up in a bar in downtown Greenville and strike up a conversation. Mickey is impressed with what he perceives as Walt's supposed sports knowledge and pretty soon he is having him on as a regular guest on his A.M. show a couple of times a week which evolved into him having a regular show. on the station. I may be totally misremembering this but I don't think I am.
I can no longer bear to listen to that station especially after finding ESPN Upstate which actually has some decent local talk in the afternoon.

Might want to check your facts..... ESPN Top 100 2015-2019, the state of South Carolina has produced 11 players to receive this ranking......
8 played in SCISA, your so called independent church league
SCISA
Seventh Woods '16 #58
De'Riante Jenkins '16 #59
Jalek Felton '17 #28
Zion Williamson '18 #2
Aaron Nesmith '18 #59
Juwan Gary '19 #29
DJ Burns '19 #52
Josiah James '19 #55

Public School

PJ Dozier '15 #19
Tevin Mack '15 #48
Christian Brown '19 #19

Private schools recruit, give scholarships, and have more money to spend on travel. They will continue to grow in strength in our state.

Might want to check your facts..... ESPN Top 100 2015-2019, the state of South Carolina has produced 11 players to receive this ranking......
8 played in SCISA, your so called independent church league
SCISA
Seventh Woods '16 #58
De'Riante Jenkins '16 #59
Jalek Felton '17 #28
Zion Williamson '18 #2
Aaron Nesmith '18 #59
Juwan Gary '19 #29
DJ Burns '19 #52
Josiah James '19 #55

Public School

PJ Dozier '15 #19
Tevin Mack '15 #48
Christian Brown '19 #19

Private schools recruit, give scholarships, and have more money to spend on travel. They will continue to grow in strength in our state.

^^^^
Reality

The private schools can offer more in travel, etc,. - not bound by SCHSL rules like the public schools. Their brand of ball is bad and I've watched a lot of it, but the public school ball is bad, too. Turnovers, out of control players, bad shot selection, etc. The game has changed for the worse the past decade or so at all levels. My humble opinion.

Without fail, if a player decides he doesn't want to play at Clemson, they never wanted him in the first place.

Even if the player is a top-5 recruit in the country and will almost certainly go on to have a great NBA career.

Pathetic, they are.

Seen him play. Truth is he's a horrible perimeter shooter. Has weight issues and will have a really difficult time playing a stretch 4 at Duke because that particular position at Duke requires good perimeter shooting. Great athlete but he's kind of a guy without a position. Definitely not number 2 player in the Nation. We will all see really soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT