ADVERTISEMENT

Was Miss St overrated? Or is UK a true top 15 team?

I think Miss St's ranking was inflated due to their SEC West membership. They're a good team, but not top 15.

Kentucky is not a top 15 team either. But they do deserve to be ranked. This week will be a battle for 2nd place in the East. If Kentucky wins... maybe they are top 15.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
MSU is overrated. Kentucky is probably a top 20-25 team. Both teams looked horrible in the first half, though. The rain put a damper on MSU's offense and they didn't adjust. Fitzgerald is not a good passer.

MSU is overrated. Kentucky is probably a top 20-25 team. Both teams looked horrible in the first half, though. The rain put a damper on MSU's offense and they didn't adjust. Fitzgerald is not a good passer.

State's lines are legitimate. Our lines are better. South Carolina has never liked physical play and that will show again next week.

UK is a dang good football team. Its a long season that will find out just how good you are. I haven't seen many teams that have impressed me more than them so far so definitely consider them top 15

How can you say that about a team who has beaten you 4 years in a row?

I, personally, am not saying UK is or is not overrated, but whether or not someone's team has been beaten multiple times by another team is irrelevant to whether or not said person can state that said team is overrated. We had beaten Vandy multiple times when we played them the year we went 3-9. If we had been highly rated going into that game, one of their fans would have been right in stating we were overrated.That said, jury is still out on both of our teams.

I was not impressed watching Miss St in that game, that being said Kentucky has owned us and is great and always plays great against us, and this is the best KY team ever, all time, since football started

Last edited:
Kentucky is a very physical team. They've proven it against UF and MSU.

Our physical play against Vandy must continue. No empty backfield garbage this week. Our lines have to meet the challenge.

Miss. St. has talent and experience, however, the play calling was horrible and Fitzgerald was never in the game. Not discounting Kentucky's very good defense, however, Fitzgerald wasn't throwing passes even remotely close, at times. Even the announcers were baffled by the play calling.

Kentucky is better than some teams above them. I suspect they will end the season near where they currently are, but not likely top ten. They are solid, several years of stability and improvement. This early, I wouldn't have jumped them above #20, yet, but I think they are a team that should be ranked currently.

I think Miss St's ranking was inflated due to their SEC West membership. They're a good team, but not top 15.

Kentucky is not a top 15 team either. But they do deserve to be ranked. This week will be a battle for 2nd place in the East. If Kentucky wins... maybe they are top 15.
What makes you say that?
  • A 4-0 team in the SEC
  • Beat FL in the Swamp
  • Dominated a top-15 SEC opponent.
If it were us, would you say we were overrated ranked 17?

Right now, they pass the eye test, too.

Reactions: rojas
42551796_2464202073598620_4481926105703383040_n.jpg

From what I’ve seen around the country, I watched your game against Vandy, and I watched Vandy at Notre Dame how USC is not ranked is beyond me. I don’t think ND is a #8 team in the country, but is a solid #25 team. I believe UK is ranked accurately, and the only reason SC is not inside top 25 I can think of, is the Marshall game getting cancelled.

Just know, if SC beats UK this weekend ,they’ve beaten a quality opponent. There’s a lot riding on this game for both teams. Unfortunately, if SC loses
the media will say they are not who we thought they were, etc, and If the Cats lose they won’t see Top 25 the rest of the season. IMO this is not fair for either team. Regardless, I think both teams will move on from this game, and have a solid season. Good luck !

The worst thing about losing to you people is your overconfidence. You're still Kentucky.

Every time I see something like this I think about what Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia fans think of us. I always think when we play Vanderbilt or Kentucky that we are going to win that game. If we were to win ten games in a row against them then maybe that perception would change. Kentucky fans probably feel the same way.

UK is very good and been on the precipice of a breakout for a few years now. If we perform as well as we did at Vandy, should make for an excellent game that I would hope we can pull out. Anything less on Saturday and they'll likely put the five spot on us.

I was not impressed watching Miss St in that game, that being said Kentucky has owned us and is great and always plays great against us, and this is the best KY team ever, all time, since football started

Mississippi State was taken out of what they wanted to do by Kentucky. That is what really good teams do. Our crowd and the fact they couldn't block our D line was also a factor. I think Carolina is dangerous because they will test our secondary something Florida or State couldn't do.

Reactions: BigTomE
Simple !!! In those four years we have not been overly talented. It’s nit like Uk has been beating sine strong gamecock teams.
Hope that clears it up for you

Now you are going to play that argument huh. Well in my opinion you're not great this year either. Until you can prove you can beat Kentucky at our game which is running the football and stopping the run you won't win.

Reactions: WayneinSarasota
UK's defense has been stout so far this year. I think they're giving up less than 15 PPG? Our offense has put up 30+ points, and over 500 yards in 2 out of 3 games so far this season. Everyone seems to be asking if we can stop UK's rushing attack, but I think the real question is can we move the ball and score points against their defense? It's going to be a tall order. I think if our offense can establish the run early, then we'll win.

UK's defense has been stout so far this year. I think they're giving up less than 15 PPG? Our offense has put up 30+ points, and over 500 yards in 2 out of 3 games so far this season. Everyone seems to be asking if we can stop UK's rushing attack, but I think the real question is can we move the ball and score points against their defense? It's going to be a tall order. I think if our offense can establish the run early, then we'll win.

What would you do with Josh Allen? He was virtually unblockable against State and I have a feeling the crowd will be raucous again on Saturday.

What would you do with Josh Allen? He was virtually unblockable against State and I have a feeling the crowd will be raucous again on Saturday.

I think we'll need to move the pocket when we can. Mix in plenty of short passes out in the flat, WR/RB screens, a few jet sweeps, and hit the RB out of the backfield as much as possible early in the game. We need to get him running sideline to sideline as much as we can. In 3rd and long, or any obvious passing down, we'll need to chip with the TE or RB.

Every time I see something like this I think about what Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia fans think of us. I always think when we play Vanderbilt or Kentucky that we are going to win that game. If we were to win ten games in a row against them then maybe that perception would change. Kentucky fans probably feel the same way.
Well those fans shouldn't be thinking that since we've been beating all of them pretty consistently the last 10-12 years. Kentucky is a recent phenomenon and I'd be surprised if it continued much longer.

T.O.s will be a key in this game Sat. I was at the game in 2007 in Columbia the last time we were ranked hoping for a big win over SOS and the Cocks but we had several T.O.s and two were returned for TDs. Needless to say it was a long night for the Cats, so the keys for Sat is protect the ball, play with the passion like last Sat and we win.

UK fan here. I think answer is both. MSU has very good line play, but people saying that they are legit threat to Alabama and Auburn were mistaken IMO. In my mind, MSU is a top 25 team but not a top 10-15 team.

My opinion on UK is TBD. We're a solid tough team. We have excellent OL and RB and a new mobile QB that makes it tough on opposing D. But, our passing game is dicey and not sure how our defense will respond against a really good QB. I'm not sure if Bentley is "really good" or not, but I believe he is a much better passer than Franks or Fitzgerald.

This saturday is UK's toughest game of the year so far. If we win this, I"ll be impressed and UK should feel good about being top 12 or so heading into College station.

I think Miss St's ranking was inflated due to their SEC West membership. They're a good teamY, but not top 15.

Try top 10.

The worst thing about losing to you people is your overconfidence. You're still Kentucky.

Oh, great ryansruncock,

You're exactly right...of course to a point.
I know the vast majority of Kentucky fans are highly skilled at managing our overall confidence levels. Competing in many national championships have taught us to show the respect, confidence & grace.
Our fanbase is vast and now enjoying a very powerful football season.
Please allow us this week to revel at the moment.
No need to reign in our confidence.

Good luck after this weekend.

We are proud,
We are BBN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT