ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: I'm Moving to Montana, Baby!

uscg1984

Mar 9, 2006
SW Montana
A job promotion at work has given us a chance to fulfill a decades long dream of moving to the Rockies. I'll report in about 90 days and my family will follow once our house sells.

The good news for Gamecock fans is that my move will probably mean a national title run for the Gamecock football team. In the past, every time I move further away from Columbia, the Gamecocks have had an unprecedented run. The Summer before Holtz's 2nd season in Columbia, we moved from Columbia to the upstate. The football team followed that with it's two best back-to-back seasons in school history. In late 2009, we moved from the upstate to the greater DC area. In fact, we were holding our pre-moving yard sale on the Saturday morning that CJ Spiller developed turf-toe after returning the opening kickoff for a TD against the Gamecocks. We won that game, of course, the first of five in a row against Clemson and the three 11 win seasons in a row. In fact, everything was rolling along just fine until I decided to return to Columbia for one game after a 5-year absence from the state. Which game? The Texas A&M game in 2014, of course. Clearly, I am some kind of kryptonite for the Gamecock football team.

So, if moving 90 miles away from Columbia gave us our first two New Year's Day bowls and moving another 500 miles away gave us 33 wins in three years and 5 in a row over the Tigers, then our upcoming 2200 mile cross-country move ought to translate to a national championship or two for the Gamecock football team. If the price that must be paid for a Gamecock football championship is so much distance between me and the team that there is no way I can watch them in person, then, that is the price I am willing to pay. You can thank me later, folks.

A job promotion at work has given us a chance to fulfill a decades long dream of moving to the Rockies. I'll report in about 90 days and my family will follow once our house sells.

The good news for Gamecock fans is that my move will probably mean a national title run for the Gamecock football team. In the past, every time I move further away from Columbia, the Gamecocks have had an unprecedented run. The Summer before Holtz's 2nd season in Columbia, we moved from Columbia to the upstate. The football team followed that with it's two best back-to-back seasons in school history. In late 2009, we moved from the upstate to the greater DC area. In fact, we were holding our pre-moving yard sale on the Saturday morning that CJ Spiller developed turf-toe after returning the opening kickoff for a TD against the Gamecocks. We won that game, of course, the first of five in a row against Clemson and the three 11 win seasons in a row. In fact, everything was rolling along just fine until I decided to return to Columbia for one game after a 5-year absence from the state. Which game? The Texas A&M game in 2014, of course. Clearly, I am some kind of kryptonite for the Gamecock football team.

So, if moving 90 miles away from Columbia gave us our first two New Year's Day bowls and moving another 500 miles away gave us 33 wins in three years and 5 in a row over the Tigers, then our upcoming 2200 mile cross-country move ought to translate to a national championship or two for the Gamecock football team. If the price that must be paid for a Gamecock football championship is so much distance between me and the team that there is no way I can watch them in person, then, that is the price I am willing to pay. You can thank me later, folks.
I'm sure they have internet in Montana. Take a look every now and then to see if your prediction comes true. Be safe and always Gamecock!!

Montana??? Will you be living next door to Next to Hannah Montana???

Best wishes to you and your family...You're a great Gamecock fan..but i must warn you, Montana is much too close to the Yellowstone caldera..When it blows up you might get buried in 20ft of ash..

Reactions: yemacock

Been to Montana several times! Two of my favorite places, are Polson Montana, (Flathead lake)
And Paradise Valley. A very beautiful state, but oh so different from South Carolina, in winter!!

You will love Montana in the summer I can promise you that. None of the humility we have in the SE. Don't know about the winters. But look at it this way you can enjoy Yellowstone even in the winter and Glacier Nation Park is gorgeous in the summer. Good luck.

Good luck with the promotion and move. You're very lucky, really. At your fingertips you can stay in touch and informed re: Gamecock sports on this and several other message boards. You can watch most football, basketball (M&W), and baseball games on tv or internet. There are several cams on campus where you'll be able to check out construction projects in progress.

When I moved from Columbia to Jax back in '69, it felt like I was on the West Coast re: keeping up with USC athletics. Today, it's a new and better world in that regard.

I've only had the pleasure of passing through the state once and it is beautiful. I absolutely love the Rockies. It doesn't get anymore beautiful than that.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Cooke City my favorite place in MT. Pack a jacket. Got to freezing the night we were there in early Aug.

Where in Montana are you moving?

Best of luck to you; years ago I had the oppotunity to move to Delaware & I didn't. Always wondered "what if".

i lived in Denver and loved it but the snow and the pull of the south brought us home.

I lived out there. I love it until about September. It was so cold I wore a coat inside. The wind blows about 50mph and the temp is below zero

Any chance you could move to California?

Reactions: GamecockJL
There is a poster on this board that currently lives in Whitefish, MT. I can't think of his user name off the top of my head. When I visited Glacier last summer I stayed in Kalespell, it was a very nice little town.

Winter weather advisory for Gallatin County today. That's Bozeman/Yellowstone area. 50-ish and drizzle in NW MT today. Chance of snow Wednesday. Last year it was 80+ on April 24.

My son lives out that way. He is done, he will never move back to the south. He and his family have learned how to deal with the winter; including long nights, snow and ice. They love it all. Have fun, enjoy!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Good luck out there. I love the Rocky Mountains, especially in the south west portion of Colorado, but Wyoming and Montana are nice too. If it were not for family issues, I would have moved out west many years ago.

Thanks for all the well wishes. Been away for a couple of days, so wasn't able to respond to all these posts. I'll do my best below.

Best wishes to you and your family...You're a great Gamecock fan..but i must warn you, Montana is much too close to the Yellowstone caldera..When it blows up you might get buried in 20ft of ash..
Moving from the greater DC area to Montana, so I guess I'm trading the risk of being at the epicenter of a nuclear attack for being at the epicenter of the biggest volcanic explosion in history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT