ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: I'm Moving to Montana, Baby!

Montana----promotion? You'll be back in SE within 2-years unless you're making a lot of money.
We've done our research. Yeah, it's a promotion and we'll live quite comfortably. The DC/Northern VA market we're leaving behind isn't exactly known as a value-shopper's paradise.

As for the SE, I don't ever expect to end up there again, at least not prior to retirement. I love the south, but I can't stand the climate. And the longer I'm away from the heat and humidity, the less I like it when I return.

Reactions: NOLAwdt
You got to go to Yellowstone Park
Have been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton many times, summer and winter. Winter in those parks is a truly incredible experience. Have been to Glacier multiple times as well and have never been able to decide which of those parks I like the best. There's a reason why we've always dreamed of moving to Montana and easy access to those three parks is no small part of that dream.

Reactions: pepsicock
A job promotion at work has given us a chance to fulfill a decades long dream of moving to the Rockies. I'll report in about 90 days and my family will follow once our house sells.

The good news for Gamecock fans is that my move will probably mean a national title run for the Gamecock football team. In the past, every time I move further away from Columbia, the Gamecocks have had an unprecedented run. The Summer before Holtz's 2nd season in Columbia, we moved from Columbia to the upstate. The football team followed that with it's two best back-to-back seasons in school history. In late 2009, we moved from the upstate to the greater DC area. In fact, we were holding our pre-moving yard sale on the Saturday morning that CJ Spiller developed turf-toe after returning the opening kickoff for a TD against the Gamecocks. We won that game, of course, the first of five in a row against Clemson and the three 11 win seasons in a row. In fact, everything was rolling along just fine until I decided to return to Columbia for one game after a 5-year absence from the state. Which game? The Texas A&M game in 2014, of course. Clearly, I am some kind of kryptonite for the Gamecock football team.

So, if moving 90 miles away from Columbia gave us our first two New Year's Day bowls and moving another 500 miles away gave us 33 wins in three years and 5 in a row over the Tigers, then our upcoming 2200 mile cross-country move ought to translate to a national championship or two for the Gamecock football team. If the price that must be paid for a Gamecock football championship is so much distance between me and the team that there is no way I can watch them in person, then, that is the price I am willing to pay. You can thank me later, folks.

Have you considered China? Authentic Mandarin and Szechwan cuisine! Might be worth considering in exchange for 5 NC's in a row, and an undefeated decade vs Clemson!

Have been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton many times, summer and winter. Winter in those parks is a truly incredible experience. Have been to Glacier multiple times as well and have never been able to decide which of those parks I like the best. There's a reason why we've always dreamed of moving to Montana and easy access to those three parks is no small part of that dream.

I want to go back so bad, Especially with the camera I have now. I can take up to 5000 pics . Yellowstone falls is so awesome

Last edited:
Have you considered China? Authentic Mandarin and Szechwan cuisine! Might be worth considering in exchange for 5 NC's in a row, and an undefeated decade vs Clemson!
For that, I'd say Europa could be livable under 70 miles of ice.

A job promotion at work has given us a chance to fulfill a decades long dream of moving to the Rockies. I'll report in about 90 days and my family will follow once our house sells.

The good news for Gamecock fans is that my move will probably mean a national title run for the Gamecock football team. In the past, every time I move further away from Columbia, the Gamecocks have had an unprecedented run. The Summer before Holtz's 2nd season in Columbia, we moved from Columbia to the upstate. The football team followed that with it's two best back-to-back seasons in school history. In late 2009, we moved from the upstate to the greater DC area. In fact, we were holding our pre-moving yard sale on the Saturday morning that CJ Spiller developed turf-toe after returning the opening kickoff for a TD against the Gamecocks. We won that game, of course, the first of five in a row against Clemson and the three 11 win seasons in a row. In fact, everything was rolling along just fine until I decided to return to Columbia for one game after a 5-year absence from the state. Which game? The Texas A&M game in 2014, of course. Clearly, I am some kind of kryptonite for the Gamecock football team.

So, if moving 90 miles away from Columbia gave us our first two New Year's Day bowls and moving another 500 miles away gave us 33 wins in three years and 5 in a row over the Tigers, then our upcoming 2200 mile cross-country move ought to translate to a national championship or two for the Gamecock football team. If the price that must be paid for a Gamecock football championship is so much distance between me and the team that there is no way I can watch them in person, then, that is the price I am willing to pay. You can thank me later, folks.
I always thought the name Montana would be better as a person's name than a state and I don't know why. I would doubt that there is much of any sports there that are common in the South.

Always wish I had the cajones just to pack up and move far away...but I like family too much
Nothing wrong with that. I had an opportunity - and a choice - whether or not to do that several years ago when my job was cut. Had a head-hunter approach me about relocating to Florida. My wife was never going to leave the grandkids and I hated the thought of leaving my friends. Since I could afford to retire, I did. Best of luck to uscg1984, though. I'm certain Montana will be a beautiful and relatively unspoiled place. Godspeed.

I always thought the name Montana would be better as a person's name than a state and I don't know why. I would doubt that there is much of any sports there that are common in the South.
Have you ever heard football? Granted it's FCS level, but it's just as big and almost more fun. Always pretty good. Beat Furman for the NC about 10-12 years ago and have won a couple more since then.

Reactions: atl-cock

Why are you wasting time posting? Hit the road Jack and don't come back until we add about 3 National Championships!! Hope and pray all goes well for you and your family!!!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Hey Man CONGRATS ! I have heard that it is a beautiful state & always wanted to visit. Hope the move goes smooth & you love it out there. Wish you the best !

Think of all the wide open spaces in Montana. There are about a million people in Montana, upstate SC has almost as much, I think it's around 900,000 plus. The physical size of Montana is 147,040 sq/mi compared to 32,020 sq/mi for SC which makes Montana about 4.7 times the physical size of SC.

Think of all the wide open spaces in Montana. There are about a million people in Montana, upstate SC has almost as much, I think it's around 900,000 plus. The physical size of Montana is 147,040 sq/mi compared to 32,020 sq/mi for SC which makes Montana about 4.7 times the physical size of SC.
I know. Yet another reason why I love the place. A coworker the other day asked me if they still had unlimited speed limits on the interstate and I told him that they had a limit now but I thought it was about 75 or 80 based on my recollection from my visit last summer. He said "Dang, that's only a little faster than the interstates here in Virginia." But I explained to him the difference is that you can actually _go_ the speed limit on the interstate out there. If a town is 80 miles away, you actually will be there in about an hour. Not "1.5 hrs to 3 hrs, depending on traffic." Of course, in the winter, you might say "1.5hrs to 3hrs, depending on the weather." But I'll gladly trade morons for weather any day.

I would doubt that there is much of any sports there that are common in the South.

You know, from all my visits out west over the years, and not just Montana, but all the Rocky Mountain states, I've found that the people out there seem a lot less interested in spectator sports, in general, than folks in the south. They seem much more interested in _doing_ outdoors activities. I've been out there before in late March when an early spring came to the area and it was like somebody flipped a switch and everybody hung up their skis and pulled out their mountain bikes. There were bicyclists everywhere. Any of you that have driven around out there can testify that it seems like half the driveways in town have RVs of some sort parked there waiting for the next weekend camping trip. I asked one lady who works in our office now but who is from Montana to estimate what percentage of people she knew had RVs or campers. Without hesitating, she said "all of them." I kind of laughed and she said "Seriously, I'm sure there are families I know who don't have a camper, but I can't recall them off the top of my head. I'll put it this way - just about everybody I know either has a camper or wishes they had a camper."

One summer, we were traveling through on I-90 and decided to stop in a little town west of Bozeman called Three Forks. Three Forks has less than 2000 people, which is about half the size of Honea Path or Belton in SC. It's tiny. It happened that they were having their summer rodeo that weekend, so we bought tickets and stayed to watch it. The rodeo was a 2 or 3 night event and we went on Saturday night. Suddenly, the town had tripled or quadrupled in size to about 6,000 or 8,000 people and all of them were at the rodeo grounds (every town has a rodeo grounds). What a fun evening of old fashioned all-American entertainment that was. Almost every competitor at the event was from some place within 100 miles of Three Forks and it seemed like most of the crowd knew most of the competitors. Tickets were $10 but you also had to pay to park (a $2 fee that went to the local FFA or 4-H club). That evening was worth every penny of its $22 price tag.

When people ask me my favorite sporting activities, I usually say "anything sport that involves horses, motorcycles, snow skiing, or guns usually ranks pretty high on my list." The occasional round of golf isn't bad either. In my experience, all of those activities taste better in the Rockies.

In this day and age, I figure that keeping up with Gamecock sports won't be any more difficult that it is up here in the DC area. I see far more USC sports now than I ever did growing up in SC when Bob Fulton and Tommy Suggs were my portal to the Gamecocks. It will be disorienting watching the occasional football game kick off at 10am, but I can probably get used to that.

I know. Yet another reason why I love the place. A coworker the other day asked me if they still had unlimited speed limits on the interstate and I told him that they had a limit now but I thought it was about 75 or 80 based on my recollection from my visit last summer. He said "Dang, that's only a little faster than the interstates here in Virginia." But I explained to him the difference is that you can actually _go_ the speed limit on the interstate out there. If a town is 80 miles away, you actually will be there in about an hour. Not "1.5 hrs to 3 hrs, depending on traffic." Of course, in the winter, you might say "1.5hrs to 3hrs, depending on the weather." But I'll gladly trade morons for weather any day.

Yeah, I was in Montana this past summer and the speed limit on the interstates that I drove were 80 mph. But, why take the interstates in Montana? Just take a back road and enjoy all of the beautiful scenery.

When I said there was only a million people in Montana I meant that in a good way. And the wide open spaces are just out of this world.

Last edited:
They recently added speed limits to some roads. Please do not think it's a safe speed. The limit was 70 and we almost slid off a cliff because 70 was way too fast for that curve.

Above. Photo of the canyon a little girl fell into into it while I lived there. I actually lived at the east gate and worked at Pahaska. Did all the fun stuff. But the coolest was taking my girl in the park at midnight.....It's the greatest summer of my life. I also lived in Redlodge. I loved both places but couldn't do the cold.
I met several people from the southeast and a lot of gamecocks fans.

In 3 weeks I'm leaving for lake Powell Utah. I'm a chef and I go to theses parks and remote places and work for the season. Free room n board. Excellent pay. Plus you don't get treated like a slave. And have to deal with as many idiots. They actually make us take time off to enjoy the parks. People out there are so much nicer than the East coast or south. I never knew how much of that slave mentality was still in the south until I went to the west. And for the record SC is way better then Miss, LA, GA AL. But SC has that east coast snobbery in some parts. I still love SC it's my home.

Great clean food in Montana Utah Colorado and Wyoming. Salt of the earth type people. But the winters are brutal.

You know, from all my visits out west over the years, and not just Montana, but all the Rocky Mountain states, I've found that the people out there seem a lot less interested in spectator sports, in general, than folks in the south. They seem much more interested in _doing_ outdoors activities. I've been out there before in late March when an early spring came to the area and it was like somebody flipped a switch and everybody hung up their skis and pulled out their mountain bikes. There were bicyclists everywhere. Any of you that have driven around out there can testify that it seems like half the driveways in town have RVs of some sort parked there waiting for the next weekend camping trip. I asked one lady who works in our office now but who is from Montana to estimate what percentage of people she knew had RVs or campers. Without hesitating, she said "all of them." I kind of laughed and she said "Seriously, I'm sure there are families I know who don't have a camper, but I can't recall them off the top of my head. I'll put it this way - just about everybody I know either has a camper or wishes they had a camper."

One summer, we were traveling through on I-90 and decided to stop in a little town west of Bozeman called Three Forks. Three Forks has less than 2000 people, which is about half the size of Honea Path or Belton in SC. It's tiny. It happened that they were having their summer rodeo that weekend, so we bought tickets and stayed to watch it. The rodeo was a 2 or 3 night event and we went on Saturday night. Suddenly, the town had tripled or quadrupled in size to about 6,000 or 8,000 people and all of them were at the rodeo grounds (every town has a rodeo grounds). What a fun evening of old fashioned all-American entertainment that was. Almost every competitor at the event was from some place within 100 miles of Three Forks and it seemed like most of the crowd knew most of the competitors. Tickets were $10 but you also had to pay to park (a $2 fee that went to the local FFA or 4-H club). That evening was worth every penny of its $22 price tag.

When people ask me my favorite sporting activities, I usually say "anything sport that involves horses, motorcycles, snow skiing, or guns usually ranks pretty high on my list." The occasional round of golf isn't bad either. In my experience, all of those activities taste better in the Rockies.

In this day and age, I figure that keeping up with Gamecock sports won't be any more difficult that it is up here in the DC area. I see far more USC sports now than I ever did growing up in SC when Bob Fulton and Tommy Suggs were my portal to the Gamecocks. It will be disorienting watching the occasional football game kick off at 10am, but I can probably get used to that.

My travels in Wyoming and Montana verifies everything you just said about people in those states being outdoorsy but spectator sports not so much.

Watch the video below on "How to become a University of Wyoming Student". It's really funny but pay particular attention to # 7 on the list.

Last edited:
They recently added speed limits to some roads. Please do not think it's a safe speed. The limit was 70 and we almost slid off a cliff because 70 was way too fast for that curve.

Above. Photo of the canyon a little girl fell into into it while I lived there. I actually lived at the east gate and worked at Pahaska. Did all the fun stuff. But the coolest was taking my girl in the park at midnight.....It's the greatest summer of my life. I also lived in Redlodge. I loved both places but couldn't do the cold.
I met several people from the southeast and a lot of gamecocks fans.

In 3 weeks I'm leaving for lake Powell Utah. I'm a chef and I go to theses parks and remote places and work for the season. Free room n board. Excellent pay. Plus you don't get treated like a slave. And have to deal with as many idiots. They actually make us take time off to enjoy the parks. People out there are so much nicer than the East coast or south. I never knew how much of that slave mentality was still in the south until I went to the west. And for the record SC is way better then Miss, LA, GA AL. But SC has that east coast snobbery in some parts. I still love SC it's my home.

Great clean food in Montana Utah Colorado and Wyoming. Salt of the earth type people. But the winters are brutal.

Man, I loved Redlodge if I were younger and could talk my wife into it I would be living in Montana or Wyoming I love both states.

Man, I loved Redlodge if I were younger and could talk my wife into it I would be living in Montana or Wyoming I love both states.
Yea it's quite the place, I loved it but man it got cold, I was a chef at carbon county steak house and lived above Bogarts. It was just too cold for me.

They love sports but not like other places. They get little outdoor time in warm weather so they take advantage of it. The school playgrounds double as public parks. It's so cool. No fences, pets allowed at school without a leash at my girls elementary school. An an open door policy that meant no sign in at the office if I wanted to go to their class I just walked right in. They wanted parents to be able to just drop in at anytime without the teachers being able to prepare. 95% of the kids walked or rode bike/scooters I mean like 1st graders. I could go on all day.

12020027_10204670901643452_2420937530795012316_n.jpg
12239678_10204967457657167_1373605098920822950_n.jpg

I do not know you but I am envious.
I have wanted to move out west to escape the wave of mass migration southward from yankees, but my wife won't even move out of our county. No way I could get her to Montana unless I darted her with some tranquilizer and put her in one of those big pet kennels or a box with some airholes in it. But I'd have to let her out carefully. She's 5-0, 90 pounds of pure meanness when she's riled up.

NOLAwdt, I've been to that spot below the Falls a number of times. If I'm not mistaken, there is an eagle's nest off to the left side of the trail (at about your 11:00 in the photo).

The falls are great, but I love the Lamar River Valley area of Yellowstone. We usually see hundreds, if not thousands, of bison stretched out along the valley for miles. And then, when you leave the park via the northeast gate, the drive from Cooke City to Red Lodge along the Beartooth Highway is absolutely incredible, as Freddie mentioned earlier. In my opinion, it may even be more impressive than the Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier. It is, HANDS DOWN, the best stretch of motorcycle road I have ever been on. It's a free highway, but I would gladly pay a heft toll to travel that highway.

NOLAwdt, I've been to that spot below the Falls a number of times. If I'm not mistaken, there is an eagle's nest off to the left side of the trail (at about your 11:00 in the photo).

The falls are great, but I love the Lamar River Valley area of Yellowstone. We usually see hundreds, if not thousands, of bison stretched out along the valley for miles. And then, when you leave the park via the northeast gate, the drive from Cooke City to Red Lodge along the Beartooth Highway is absolutely incredible, as Freddie mentioned earlier. In my opinion, it may even be more impressive than the Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier. It is, HANDS DOWN, the best stretch of motorcycle road I have ever been on. It's a free highway, but I would gladly pay a heft toll to travel that highway.

I would certainly agree that the Beartooth Highway is more impressive than Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier.

Hi man, nice to meet you, after seeing the first picture I feel like I know you. Okay, the first picture is at Yellowstone Falls (I believe) but where is the 2nd picture? Is it in Cooke City?
Red lodge Montana, of my girl friend. Ive lived and worked all over. Thanks man, I had fun out there, met really cool people. A lot of gamecock fans.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

I'm trying to figure out how to insert text in the pic header but oh well. I know where you are talking about. It's on the east entrance. There are 1000s of bison in the valley and it's huge vast open medow. Ive watched 25 males roll into my lodge at once. But yea that area is amazing I have hundreds of pictures. In 3 weeks I'll be in lake Powell.
Traveling so much does have draw backs believe me. The OP has the right idea.

Okay, uscg1984, NOLAwdt and others, too. You know what you are making me do don't you? Plan another trip into Wyoming and Montana again this year. Man I love that part of the country. I also love South Dakota.

Last edited:
Freddie you should go, I'd fly into Denver and make a trip of it. The east entrance is amazing. I'm working at lake Powell Utah this summer. Then I think I'm gonna settle down in the Upstate. I love the area out there but I'm a southern boy at heart. And I start missing our diversity that we have here in SC. And fresh seafood.

Freddie you should go, I'd fly into Denver and make a trip of it. The east entrance is amazing. I'm working at lake Powell Utah this summer. Then I think I'm gonna settle down in the Upstate. I love the area out there but I'm a southern boy at heart. And I start missing our diversity that we have here in SC. And fresh seafood.

The way I feel right now I am going. I flew into Denver last year and then drove to Cheyenne and kind of used Cheyenne and Laramie as my headquarters. I traveled all over Wyoming, Montana and a little in SD and a very little in Colorado. I had a friend that took me all around Denver and it was fun.

The way I feel right now I am going. I flew into Denver last year and then drove to Cheyenne and kind of used Cheyenne and Laramie as my headquarters. I traveled all over Wyoming, Montana and a little in SD and a very little in Colorado. I had a friend that took me all around Denver and it was fun.
On our last "scouting" trip to Montana, we flew into Bozeman and made a clockwise loop around Montana: Butte, Missoula, Kalispell, Glacier, Great Falls, Helena, back to Bozeman and the Yellowstone region. Bozeman is a very nice smallish airport. Super easy to fly into and drive out of in a rental car. Something like 20 minutes from getting off the plane to driving off in the rental car.

Freddie, if you fly into Denver and have already seen some great places in Montana and Wyoming, I would suggest a similar loop of Colorado if you haven't already seen most of that state. Colorado Springs, Canon City, Gunnison, Montrose, Durango, Cortez, Mesa Verde NP, Grand Junction, and then back to Denver via I-70 takes you through some breath-taking country. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park gets my vote for the most underrated national park in the entire system. It is an awe-inspiring gorge like something out of the Lord of the Rings and is never crowded. The view from the chairlift at the top of Monarch Pass is more impressive, in my opinion, than the one from Pike's Peak and doesn't require nearly the investment of time or money.

Most of the check-the-box tourist hot-spots in the Rockies are household names for a reason (they are awfully impressive), but there are many lesser-known and less crowded places in the Rockies that are just as impressive. Discovering those places in a road trip is incredible fun.

On our last "scouting" trip to Montana, we flew into Bozeman and made a clockwise loop around Montana: Butte, Missoula, Kalispell, Glacier, Great Falls, Helena, back to Bozeman and the Yellowstone region. Bozeman is a very nice smallish airport. Super easy to fly into and drive out of in a rental car. Something like 20 minutes from getting off the plane to driving off in the rental car.

Freddie, if you fly into Denver and have already seen some great places in Montana and Wyoming, I would suggest a similar loop of Colorado if you haven't already seen most of that state. Colorado Springs, Canon City, Gunnison, Montrose, Durango, Cortez, Mesa Verde NP, Grand Junction, and then back to Denver via I-70 takes you through some breath-taking country. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park gets my vote for the most underrated national park in the entire system. It is an awe-inspiring gorge like something out of the Lord of the Rings and is never crowded. The view from the chairlift at the top of Monarch Pass is more impressive, in my opinion, than the one from Pike's Peak and doesn't require nearly the investment of time or money.

Most of the check-the-box tourist hot-spots in the Rockies are household names for a reason (they are awfully impressive), but there are many lesser-known and less crowded places in the Rockies that are just as impressive. Discovering those places in a road trip is incredible fun.

My buddy that lives in Denver is wanting me to do Colorado this time. I may just do that since it would be different. But I love Wyoming and Montana so much it's hard to pass them up. Because I could do both states again and not see the same places as I did last year. I'll just have to make up my mind. But, I have been needing some suggestions of Colorado so thanks for the information. If I decide to travel Colorado I will take you advice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT