ADVERTISEMENT

WBB

The team will still be the #1 overall seed in the tourney. Their resume is just too good.

Beat 11 ranked teams.....I would love the 2022 SEC trophy. But we got one last year. We did not get the NCCA.

We won the SEC Championship. The SEC awards the conference title to the regular season winner.

Kentucky won the SEC Tournament Championship.

This might be the best thing to happen to this team to get them refocused. Losses have a tendency to get a team's attention. Maybe this is exactly what Dawn needed to get the team to focus and clean up this stuff.

Plenty of good teams over the years- national champs even- lost in their conference tourney.
I will say Coach Staley has very positive results after losing a game. I still like South Carolina chances to win the big prize.

11 McDonald's AA. Dawn is a great recruiter, not a great Xs and Os coach.
Kim Mulkey not a great X’s and O’s coach. She got upset by Kentucky in this same tournament. Dawn was entrusted with our National team and brought back the gold medal. You don’t get that role if you’re not a great X’s and O’s coach. So, this notion that Dawn is just a recruiter every time we happen to lose a game is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Wow!
11 McDonald's AA. Dawn is a great recruiter, not a great Xs and Os coach.
This is the most posts I've seen regarding USC WBB. Now that we lose a game our coach is not a good X and O's coach. I firmly believe that you do not know basketball. I guess X and O's were not present when we defeated the 12 top 25 teams. Recruiting did it all.

Wow!

This is the most posts I've seen regarding USC WBB. Now that we lose a game our coach is not a good X and O's coach. I firmly believe that you do not know basketball. I guess X and O's were not present when we defeated the 12 top 25 teams. Recruiting did it all.
The silent haters get exposed every time this program loses a game.

Some people just don't like to hear the truth. She is a much better recruiter than an on floor coach. There have been a lot of very successful coaches with the same attributes. I think Spurrier was the opposite, great on field coach but not a hard working recruiter. As a 50 year Gamecock Club member and a letterman, I would not classify myself as a silent hater.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Wow!

Not too many post or threads about South Carolina winning the SEC conference regular season, but when South Carolina lose it generates a bigger response. I believe some of the post on this thread are retribution on Coach Staley beliefs off the court. I just do not understand how Coach Staley which has dominated the SEC for the last seven or so years should be subject to criticism over losing to a very hot shooting Kentucky team. I would really regret Coach Staley leaving South Carolina, but I would understand why she would leave.

Some people just don't like to hear the truth. She is a much better recruiter than an on floor coach. There have been a lot of very successful coaches with the same attributes. I think Spurrier was the opposite, great on field coach but not a hard working recruiter. As a 50 year Gamecock Club member and a letterman, I would not classify myself as a silent hater.
Who said it was the truth? You? You can argue with the in-game decisions of any successful coach. That does not mean they are not a strong X’s and O’s Coach. I watch every one of our women’s games. Every one. You can say Dawn can be stubborn at times. However, the notion that Dawn is just a recruiter is Hogwash IMO. Coach K loses a lot with #1 recruiting classes. Has not won a title since 2015. You saying that about Coach K. Probably not. Recruiting classes do not always equate to wins. For example, Penny Hardaway is struggling just to make the tournament with his # 1 recruiting class. You don’t just win 6 of 8 conference tournaments by recruiting and luck. We lost a game. It happens, but to pull the not a great X’s and O’s out after this team has beaten every top team in the country doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
Not too many post or threads about South Carolina winning the SEC conference regular season, but when South Carolina lose it generates a bigger response. I believe some of the post on this thread are retribution on Coach Staley beliefs off the court. I just do not understand how Coach Staley which has dominated the SEC for the last seven or so years should be subject to criticism over losing to a very hot shooting Kentucky team. I would really regret Coach Staley leaving South Carolina, but I would understand why she would leave.
I believe you are right. I think you have Gamecock fans out here silently hoping for these girls to lose over off the court issues. That is the only thing that would make some of the comments in here make sense. I don’t even think they watched the games. They just heard we lost and here they come out of the woodwork.

I think Dawn has proven her prowess as coach this season and in years prior when our roster wasn't as good. The way she's has managed minutes and have outcoached our opponents says otherwise. What she has done with Amihere alone this season is something most coaches wouldn't have the foresight to see. I believe the execution of the gameplan in the heat of the moment more up for debate than the coaching.

Reactions: adcoop
Boy you get riled up easily. I never said she was a bad coach. I said she was a much better recruiter than an on floor coach. If you can recruit that many McDonald's AA you must be doing something right. I see us win a lot of games because we have more and better talent not by tactics.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Boy you get riled up easily. I never said she was a bad coach. I said she was a much better recruiter than an on floor coach. If you can recruit that many McDonald's AA you must be doing something right. I see us win a lot of games because we have more and better talent not by tactics.
I am actually holding back and not saying what I want to say. We went to the Final Four with much less talent. Was it recruiting then. No. It’s odd that Dawn Staley, a Black Female Coach, gets this just a recruiter tag every time she loses a game. Name me another Successful coach right now, in the men’s or women’s side, that puts up with this nonsense.

Reactions: Gamekem
I am actually holding back and not saying what I want to say. We went to the Final Four with much less talent. Was it recruiting then. No. It’s odd that Dawn Staley, a Black Female Coach, gets this just a recruiter tag every time she loses a game. Name me another Successful coach right now, in the men’s or women’s side, that puts up with this nonsense.

Card played... just like clockwork

A bad day and really a bad weekend because they didn't finish strong in either game. They missed a plethora of chippies today that could have put this game away in the 3rd and early 4th quarter. Their lack of consistent outside shooting, their lack of prowess at the Ft line at times and the sometimes long stretches without scoring could come back to bite them in the dance. However, when they put it all together, they are a thing of beauty to watch. The post play is top notch, the guard play will determine how far they go.

Shut up. You were probably the guy that came on here all giddy when we were down 18 to Stanford talking about we need to recruit some white girls that can shoot only to eat crow an hour later. You don’t support this team. You only have something to say when they lose which is not a lot.

Dabo Sweeney

I never mentioned one thing about her race, you did. What nonsense? Her teams draw more fans than any other WBB team and she makes more money than any other WBB coach.
In my many years on this earth, I have found the person who throws out race in a discussion is the one with the most bias so you can continue your diatribe. I am through with this thread.

I disagree. The rise of this program was with good recruits but not McDonald All Americans. Shes a good coach all around and shes going to win the natty this year.

That is YET to be determined, so far a los to Kentucky in SEC Tounament championship is all I REMEMBER..
Time to turn the page and look towards the NCAA tournament. It was a disappointing loss, but the real prize is still in front of the team. If they win a title, no one is going to give a single shit about this tournament loss.

Dabo Sweeney
You know what, you're right. Sweeney does get the recruiter and cheerleader tag, but it's unfair to him too. His decisions when it comes to picking his assistants alone make him better than most coaches out there.

I never mentioned one thing about her race, you did. What nonsense? Her teams draw more fans than any other WBB team and she makes more money than any other WBB coach.
In my many years on this earth, I have found the person who throws out race in a discussion is the one with the most bias so you can continue your diatribe. I am through with this thread.
Not true, people throw out little racist code words all the time and try to make the person calling them out on it the one with the bias so they will stop and allow them to keep doing what they want. Guys like Cockadawn and Cybercock know I don't play that and will say what I want to say. You are not going to calm me down on that. If I think you are saying something out of line, I am going to call it like I see it. I think that is fair since people on this board are always complaining about the cancel culture and white males being persecuted. When they say it, it's just calling it how they see it. When I respond to their garbage, it's playing a race card. Given that, I will always say what I want. I am just calling it how I see it and my opinion was your comment about Dawn as a strategist was some garbage. Not saying you had any racist intent because I don't know you. However, you should know some history and given that questioning a black person's ability to think without specific examples to back it up is never a good thing.

Not true, people throw out little racist code words all the time and try to make the person calling them out on it the one with the bias so they will stop and allow them to keep doing what they want. Guys like Cockadawn and Cybercock know I don't play that and will say what I want to say. You are not going to calm me down on that. If I think you are saying something out of line, I am going to call it like I see it. I think that is fair since people on this board are always complaining about the cancel culture and white males being persecuted. When they say it, it's just calling it how they see it. When I respond to their garbage, it's playing a race card. Given that, I will always say what I want. I am just calling it how I see it and my opinion was your comment about Dawn as a strategist was some garbage. Not saying you had any racist intent because I don't know you. However, you should know some history and given that questioning a black person's ability to think without specific examples to back it up is never a good thing.

The infamous code words
Ha
Someone needs to send me a "white person decoder ring" then.

Kim Mulkey not a great X’s and O’s coach. She got upset by Kentucky in this same tournament. Dawn was entrusted with our National team and brought back the gold medal. You don’t get that role if you’re not a great X’s and O’s coach. So, this notion that Dawn is just a recruiter every time we happen to lose a game is ridiculous.

No one on this site knows who is a "good" x and o coach in women's basketball.

Anyone they name not named Geno likely has losing record when facing Dawn Staley.

No one on this site knows who is a "good" x and o coach in women's basketball.

Anyone they name not named Geno likely has losing record when facing Dawn Staley.
I bet they (anyone on this site) arent many making close to 3 million a year either, that doesnt include Endorsments.. SO I guess you are correct.. Maybe the first time ever, definitley the first time I AGREED with you..

The team will still be the #1 overall seed in the tourney. Their resume is just too good.

Beat 11 ranked teams.....I would love the 2022 SEC trophy. But we got one last year. We did not get the NCCA.
Can’t prove it but I’m convinced Dawn throttled the team back in both the two 4th qtrs to give a comeback opportunity so that another female black coach could relish in SEC championship success. Everyone knew should would still be the number 1 national seed if she lost, and that UK would be an automatic into the tournament as a conference champion. Dawn is a strong advocate and activist for black female coaches and providing opportunities for them nationally. How else does Zia miss two FTs with the game on the line. What else explains the team not fouling when they have three fouls to give during the last 11 seconds? Dawn is incapable of being out coached as badly as she was in back-to-back 4th qtrs.

Can’t prove it but I’m convinced Dawn throttled the team back in both the two 4th qtrs to give a comeback opportunity so that another female black coach could relish in SEC championship success. Everyone knew should would still be the number 1 national seed if she lost, and that UK would be an automatic into the tournament as a conference champion. Dawn is a strong advocate and activist for black female coaches and providing opportunities for them nationally. How else does Zia miss two FTs with the game on the line. What else explains the team not fouling when they have three fouls to give during the last 11 seconds? Dawn is incapable of being out coached as badly as she was in back-to-back 4th qtrs.
Come on dude - seriously! If that's the case, she should've given it to Taylor last year. She's been a head coach longer than Elzy. The game on the line there is a different element to it. But Zia also missed two free throws earlier in the game. In the Henderson needs to start shooting the ball more. 9 points from your PG is not going to cut it.

Time to turn the page and look towards the NCAA tournament. It was a disappointing loss, but the real prize is still in front of the team. If they win a title, no one is going to give a single shit about this tournament loss.
That is 100 percent true. It could also be remembered as the beginning of a disturbing trend of 4th quarter lapses. I don't think that will be the case and I sure as hell hope it isn't. I do struggle a little with how women at this level can't make a gimme 10 footer. My daughter is 13 and at her age not many girls miss those easy looks.

You know what, you're right. Sweeney does get the recruiter and cheerleader tag, but it's unfair to him too. His decisions when it comes to picking his assistants alone make him better than most coaches out there.

Bobby Bowden

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT