ADVERTISEMENT

We are getting what we deserve... Hiring Ray Tanner as our inexperienced athletic director

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
because we were scared to lose him to another school after winning two National Champions and coming in second twice...

I love Tanner, but he has proven that he wasn't ready for a big time athletic director gig...

Plus he handled Steve Spurrier poorly when thoughts ran in Spurrier's head to retire after he announced that start think to retire in 2 or 3 more years after 2013 season was over...

Ray should have made plans to work on that retirement before Spurrier said anything after the two 11-2 season...

It's a tragic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Took the architect of the greatest program in school history & moved him to a spot he was not qualified for. Said greatest program in school history has now crumbled & so has the football program that was on the verge of being one of the powers of the decade of the 2010s.

because we were scared to lose him to another school after winning two National Champions and coming in second twice...

I love Tanner, but he has proven that he wasn't ready for a big time athletic director gig...

Plus he handled Steve Spurrier poorly when thoughts ran in Spurrier's head to retire after he announced that start think to retire in 2 or 3 more years after 2013 season was over...

Ray should have made plans to work on that retirement before Spurrier said anything after the two 11-2 season...

Agreed! I do get it that he wanted SOS to stay. We all did! But where he failed as an AD (IMHO) is not putting into place someone running they day-to-day stuff. Instead we ended up with JR running things and the rest is history.....

That should have been cleared up when he and SOS spoke of retirement and a suitable person named or we should have moved on then. At that point we could have gotten the caliper of coach we wanted based on what we had at the time.

Instead we let the train run off the tracks, wreck and blow up the whole town and then went out searching for whatever we could find at the time.

I take issue with the "we" in the title of your post.

USC fans do not deserve this product. We didn't hire Tanner. We didn't hire Muschamp. We didn't appoint the BOT.

Long-suffering USC fans deserve championships.

You could make the argument that Tennessee fans are getting what they deserve after demanding a change from Fat Phil. Maybe Texas fans are getting what they deserve for pushing Mack Brown out. But USC fans are definitely not deserving of this.

Hopefully, this costly lesson will serve as the final straw of the painfully antiquated good-ole-boy network.

We deserve what we get, that school should have never made tanner the AD,who in the world put a baseball coach, in charge of a football program,one thing i can say we have people in charge at carolina that do not know , what the hell they are doing.

Reactions: howard13
We deserve what we get, that school should have never made tanner the AD,who in the world put a baseball coach, in charge of a football program,one thing i can say we have people in charge at carolina that do not know , what the hell they are doing.

LSU

Reactions: jbouton

USC fans do not deserve this product. We didn't hire Tanner. We didn't hire Muschamp. We didn't appoint the BOT.

You could make the argument that Tennessee fans are getting what they deserve after demanding a change from Fat Phil. Maybe Texas fans are getting what they deserve for pushing Mack Brown out. But USC fans are definitely not deserving of this.

"We" are Carolina...

I blame "you"... :D

You are spot on and can the university please learn from this episode that just because someone has been a succesful coach does not mean they have the skills to be an AD?? There is a reason why you rarely see this formula work anymore in the high dollar world of modern college athletics. At the end of the day, Tanner is a coach's guy. Don't expect him to make the tough decision that it is time to move on.

The fact that if Muschamp was fired today, USC would have to pay the largest sum to a fired coach in NCAA history is a terrible indictment of Tanner as an AD who whoever on the board approved this contract. He should be fired for this alone.

Let me recall a comment made about 30 years ago:
We are getting what we deserve... Hiring King Dixon as our inexperienced athletic director

You would think that they would learn.

I sure hope you don't still believe the fairy tale that Tanner talked Spurrier into staying. Spurrier himself has said that's not true.

I sure hope you don't still believe the fairy tale that Tanner talked Spurrier into staying. Spurrier himself has said that's not true.

I never said Tanner talked to Spurrier in staying...

Tanner should have told Spurrier you done enough and it time to pass the torch... I wonder if Spurrier stuck around longer, hoping that Jr would get the HC gig...

Absolutely! None of us made those decisions....

Reactions: ExpatCarolinian

But he won a championship in the fifth most popular college sport. That is great experience.:rolleyes:

Let me recall a comment made about 30 years ago:
We are getting what we deserve... Hiring King Dixon as our inexperienced athletic director

You would think that they would learn.
Ray is King Dixon Part 2. At least King didn't saddle USC with a coach that it is almost impossible to fire.

Ray is an AD's coach's coach-he paid SS after he resigned. The buyout.
I don't think he cares about USC. Hasn't he also padded his retirement payout?

Ok, did you stop Carolina from hiring Tanner as our AD???

Did you go out and protest the hire of Tanner???
A lot us thought Ray would be a good athletic director. And he's good at most of his job. He's a good fundraiser, runs a clean program and he loves SC. Unfortunately, that's not enough.

Ray is King Dixon Part 2. At least King didn't saddle USC with a coach that it is almost impossible to fire.

Ray is an AD's coach's coach-he paid SS after he resigned. The buyout.
I don't think he cares about USC. Hasn't he also padded his retirement payout?
King Dixon was dealing with a BOT that refused to spend money, saying they wanted to "de-emphasize sports and emphasize academics." They did half of that. Go look at what Sparky paid his assistants. It was abysmal. King was a bad AD but he was in a no-win situation. Ray on the other hand...

A lot us thought Ray would be a good athletic director. And he's good at most of his job. He's a good fundraiser, runs a clean program and he loves SC. Unfortunately, that's not enough.

BINGO!!!

We are getting what we deserve... Hiring Ray Tanner as our inexperienced athletic director

King Dixon was dealing with a BOT that refused to spend money, saying they wanted to "de-emphasize sports and emphasize academics." They did half of that. Go look at what Sparky paid his assistants. It was abysmal. King was a bad AD but he was in a no-win situation. Ray on the other hand...
I never knew that. I guess that's why the bowl games were not accepted because "they would interfere with exams". I thought King was behind that. No wonder Sparky got the shaft.
Seems like that BOT got their way, tho.:)

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I never knew that. I guess that's why the bowl games were not accepted because "they would interfere with exams". I thought King was behind that. No wonder Sparky got the shaft.
Seems like that BOT got their way, tho.:)
Here's the crazy part - Hubbard and Floyd have been on the board since before Sparky. Those dudes are from the Jurassic Period.

Keep blaming Ray but what about the other games between now and 1892, who do we blame for those 127 years? Snap out of it guys our all-time record is what about 611-583-44 ? We've hired them and fired them and some just quit but we're still looking for Mr. Right. We have always had the history of having to settle with Mr. Right Now. And don't give that "settling for mediocrity" BS either I've been a Gamecock for 60 yrs. that's half of those 127 years so give me a break. Just enjoy the wins we get because 127 years of demanding success ain't worked. There has never been a line of great coaches begging to come here. We got Holtz and then Spurrier and they both ended up leaving worse than when they came. Reality is a bitch ain't it ?

Reactions: agantt
Keep blaming Ray but what about the other games between now and 1892, who do we blame for those 127 years? Snap out of it guys our all-time record is what about 611-583-44 ? We've hired them and fired them and some just quit but we're still looking for Mr. Right. We have always had the history of having to settle with Mr. Right Now. And don't give that "settling for mediocrity" BS either I've been a Gamecock for 60 yrs. that's half of those 127 years so give me a break. Just enjoy the wins we get because 127 years of demanding success ain't worked. There has never been a line of great coaches begging to come here. We got Holtz and then Spurrier and they both ended up leaving worse than when they came. Reality is a bitch ain't it ?

Yep, our all-time record is almost identical to the University of Oregon. How have they done the last 10 or 12 years? I guess since their history sucked, they didn't have a chance to develop a strong football program either, right? Eyeroll

The thing that plagued us from then until now is the same and it ain't ’demanding excellence.'

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT