ADVERTISEMENT

We are going to be 0-3 to start SEC play

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
0-1 after tonight. We are at Vandy on Saturday who just won at Arkansas. That will make us 0-2. Then the following Saturday at Tennessee we will be 0-3. It's Franks fault, but our fans have lost interest in our mens basketball team. The coliseum was dead tonight. We don't even have much of a home court advantage anymore. I know let the season play out. I suspect we want even make the NIT. If that's the case Frank Martin needs to go. No way this team makes the NCAA tournament. I know the players love him, but he's not getting the job done.

He's a good guy. I like Frank. He's a teacher of life lessons. That can't be measured in wins. The University of South Carolina Shooting Monks. Brick by brick.

Reactions: Lakecock1
If you listen to Frank talk basketball, the man is full of wealth of knowledge... It's amazing that we're 9-3 and haven't won more championships than Tanner(2) and Staley (1 + 2020 #1)@ combined..

@ Dawn Staley should have been awarded the National Championship in 2020 being the number 1 team in the country when COVID hit...

Cut the game off. I mean do these guys practice free throws? Frank preaches getting to the free throw line and I can only remember a handful of players that could actually hit them. Drives me nuts. Last night we were outclassed in all aspects of the game, talent and coaching. I like Frank to but to rest the rest his career here on the final four is disappointing. The guy should at least give up half his salary. Watching this has become painful and I don't look forward to watching them at all. It's bad because football at least showed some life this year.

Reactions: cockofdawn
0-1 after tonight. We are at Vandy on Saturday who just won at Arkansas. That will make us 0-2. Then the following Saturday at Tennessee we will be 0-3. It's Franks fault, but our fans have lost interest in our mens basketball team. The coliseum was dead tonight. We don't even have much of a home court advantage anymore. I know let the season play out. I suspect we want even make the NIT. If that's the case Frank Martin needs to go. No way this team makes the NCAA tournament. I know the players love him, but he's not getting the job done.
I bet The Coliseum was pretty dead considering we haven't played there in 20 years.

Im TIRED of hearing that the CLA has a poor home advantage. I hear it year after year.
Yes winning will change that BUT winning is proving to be a BIG challenge and has been since the McGuire era.

So it's time for the Athletic Dept to figure someway to promote a mediocre program.
There isn't THAT much going on in Cola in winter for the most part.
It shouldn't be an impossible task, year after year

Reactions: kidrobinski
Win and they will come... it's that simple- Look at the Women's team and the support they get every game 10K plus.... look at the promotions Dawn has done to get fans in seats back in her early years... The season ticket sales she has each year. Because she brings in top talent and puts a product on the floor that is good and entertaining.

SC fans will show out in support if you give them a glimmer of hope of a decent product. We don't even have to be a top 10 team but we should be a top 40 team yearly with our facilities and money as well as playing in the SEC. 1 NCAA Tournament in 9+ years in inexcusable.

the crowd of who can do better or who would we get needs to get lost as well that excuse is overused and outdated. Frank is a great person and a good teacher of the game and life but that can be done at a smaller school with no expectation or just like his former job of high school where you prepare kids for the future. That is no knock on frank by any means but at the end of the day you are paid at the SEC collegiate level to produce wins!

the difference is simple - RECRUITING!

Year Overall Rank SEC Rank 4 stars 3 stars
2012 63 13 (Last) 0 4
2013 24 5 2 2 Thornwell 30th overall.
2014 42 8 1 (blanton) 2
2015 33 7 0 3 Dozier was a 5 star
2016 65 11 1 (Keita) 2
2017 64 12 0 4
2018 55 10 0 5
2019 45 11 4
2020 100 13 (Last) 0 2
2021 28 6 1 (Carter) 2
2022 102 13 (Last) 0 1

AVG 56 overall 10 in SEC .45 2.8

In this newer 1 and done era Frank preferred early on not to go after the 1 and done players, he preferred projects that would stay 3-4 years that he could coach up and build his team around specifically physical defense style. There have been so many top recruits in the COUNTRY in this state the last 10 years that haven't even looked at SC and I think a lot of these guys don't want to play for Frank's style of coaching. PJ had family ties to the university and SIN wanted to play for his home state.

The problem is he needs a true scorer to stay in SEC games, someone who is willing to take over the game and thrives in the big moment. For example Reaves had a moment like this in the Florida State game where he scored 8 straight to get us back in the game and take the lead I believe but he was confident and WANTED the ball.

I think freshman Carter and Wright have potential and are his best commits since probably PJ. But they are still freshman, I don't hate the mix of them with the older transfer guys (Reaves, Stevenson) but they are still learning each other and how to play together and were getting pretty late in the season for that. Blame it on covid/ games cancelled/ practices miss ect but it still is what it is.

Only way Frank should be retained is if he is able to deliver the bag to 5 star and 10th overall player in 23 class GG Jackson who is from our back yard of Ridge View High School (current Gamecock Benson played there as well). He has visited many times but will be a tough pull from UNC.

Garnet Trust deliver the $$$ Bag to GG Jackson.

If frank gets GG and has Carter and Wright next year I think that team could be a top 5 SEC Team.

Last edited:
Per Massey ratings, we are only favored for two wins over UGA and one over Mizzou. Y’all are optimistic!

Win and they will come... it's that simple- Look at the Women's team and the support they get every game 10K plus.... look at the promotions Dawn has done to get fans in seats back in her early years... The season ticket sales she has each year. Because she brings in top talent and puts a product on the floor that is good and entertaining.

SC fans will show out in support if you give them a glimmer of hope of a decent product. We don't even have to be a top 10 team but we should be a top 40 team yearly with our facilities and money as well as playing in the SEC. 1 NCAA Tournament in 9+ years in inexcusable.

the crowd of who can do better or who would we get needs to get lost as well that excuse is overused and outdated. Frank is a great person and a good teacher of the game and life but that can be done at a smaller school with no expectation or just like his former job of high school where you prepare kids for the future. That is no knock on frank by any means but at the end of the day you are paid at the SEC collegiate level to produce wins!

2012 63 13 (Last) 0 4
2014 42 8 1 (blanton) 2
2016 65 11 1 (Keita) 2
2017 64 12 0 4
2018 55 10 0 5
2019 45 11 4
2020 100 13 (Last) 0 2
2021 28 6 1 (Carter) 2
2022 102 13 (Last) 0 1

In this newer 1 and done era Frank preferred early on not to go after the 1 and done players, he preferred projects that would stay 3-4 years that he could coach up and build his team around specifically physical defense style. There have been so many top recruits in the COUNTRY in this state the last 10 years that haven't even looked at SC and I think a lot of these guys don't want to play for Frank's style of coaching. PJ had family ties to the university and SIN wanted to play for his home state.

The problem is he needs a true scorer to stay in SEC games, someone who is willing to take over the game and thrives in the big moment. For example Reaves had a moment like this in the Florida State game where he scored 8 straight to get us back in the game and take the lead I believe but he was confident and WANTED the ball.

I think freshman Carter and Wright have potential and are his best commits since probably PJ. But they are still freshman, I don't hate the mix of them with the older transfer guys (Reaves, Stevenson) but they are still learning each other and how to play together and were getting pretty late in the season for that. Blame it on covid/ games cancelled/ practices miss ect but it still is what it is.

Only way Frank should be retained is if he is able to deliver the bag to 5 star and 10th overall player in 23 class GG Jackson who is from our back yard of Ridge View High School (current Gamecock Benson played there as well). He has visited many times but will be a tough pull from UNC.

If frank gets GG and has Carter and Wright next year I think that team could be a top 5 SEC Team.
I agree that Carolina fans will support a winning program.
But we don't have a program that is considered relevant in college basketball and haven't for a sustained period for YEARS.
Yes we've had glimmers here and there, but nothing that has been sustained.
And so we need to work smarter and harder.
One way to do that is to improve the fan experience somehow, someway. Honestly I don't have the answers but Im not paid a ton of be money to have the answers.
But by now someone in the Athletic Dept should be doing something IMHO.

Reactions: kidrobinski
But we don't have a program that is considered relevant in college basketball and haven't for a sustained period for YEARS.
One way to do that is to improve the fan experience somehow, someway. Honestly I don't have the answers but Im not paid a ton of be money to have the answers.
[/QUOTE
I agree but the only way to improve my families experience is by winning. Until then, we are boycotting basketball. I have very little interest in giving up an evening or afternoon to watch a non-tourny team year after with a revolving door of players.

But how are we going to start winning?
What is going to make recruits want to come here?
I have no idea btw. But I don't think it is ALL coaching. We have good coaches and still haven't been successful.

I think CFM is a good basketball coach and could be better. My main criticism is he's all stick and no carrot, at least during games. Not sure how he is during practice. Last night Stevenson played well and showed a lot of hustle. Most memorable, unfortunately, was when Stevenson lost control of the ball and turned it over out of bounds. CFM, as per usual, screamed at him for this mistake. Stevenson knew he screwed up, the screaming is wasted energy. CFM's players know he's in their corner, until they make a simple mistake and then watch out.

My 11 year old son's soccer coach is like CFM. He repeatedly dresses down players when they miss shots on goal. It's very discouraging. As a result, our players play extremely tight for fear they'll make mistakes. We lose games we shouldn't lose, similar to SC losing to Coastal, Princeton.

I recognize that SC teams generally improve during the course of the season. I think there are multiple reasons for this. Pure speculation, btw. 1) they work incredibly hard and have more stamina than most other teams, 2) they eventually tune out CFM after being screamed at repeatedly, so they're less affected by his tantrums later in the season.

I sincerely hope CFM learns to motivate in a more positive way. I think his time at SC will be done soon, he will still be coaching somewhere for the next 10-20 years and those players deserve better.

But we don't have a program that is considered relevant in MEN'S college basketball and haven't for a sustained period for YEARS.

What we see is what we've got. The FF run, as it turns out, was a fluke. At the time, many posters felt it was a fluke. They certainly were correct,, but it was prudent to see what the aftermath would be before drawing that conclusion. Sadly, nothing changed.

If you listen to Frank talk basketball, the man is full of wealth of knowledge... It's amazing that we're 9-3 and haven't won more championships than Tanner(2) and Staley (1 + 2020 #1)@ combined..

@ Dawn Staley should have been awarded the National Championship in 2020 being the number 1 team in the country when COVID hit...
9-4

2012 63 13 (Last) 0 4
2014 42 8 1 (blanton) 2
2016 65 11 1 (Keita) 2
2017 64 12 0 4
2018 55 10 0 5
2019 45 11 4
2020 100 13 (Last) 0 2
2021 28 6 1 (Carter) 2
2022 102 13 (Last) 0 1

Only problem is GG is class of '23. Doubt Frank will be here.

Reactions: Gamecocks1188
This is the CFM long farewell tour. He'll be giving hugs to other players and coaches like it's a family reunion- he may be on one of their benches next season. My bet's on a TV desk.

This team is going nowhere but Frank needs to go somewhere.

Reactions: cockofdawn
It's already in at least its third year.

The Coach is not Going Away; No Limit to How Long He'll Stay.

Maybe either Pastides or the new President will have the cajones to tell Darrell Jackson to go f**k himself and do what's right for the university and men's hoops. In fact, just do it and keep him out of the equation. I say this because I 100% believe we will be replacing Martin in March/April.

Maybe either Pastides or the new President will have the cajones to tell Darrell Jackson to go f**k himself and do what's right for the university and men's hoops. In fact, just do it and keep him out of the equation. I say this because I 100% believe we will be replacing Martin in March/April.
I'm not saying we won't, but my verse is saying it till it happens. There's no energy left. The program seems dead.

I think CFM is a good basketball coach and could be better. My main criticism is he's all stick and no carrot, at least during games. Not sure how he is during practice. Last night Stevenson played well and showed a lot of hustle. Most memorable, unfortunately, was when Stevenson lost control of the ball and turned it over out of bounds. CFM, as per usual, screamed at him for this mistake. Stevenson knew he screwed up, the screaming is wasted energy. CFM's players know he's in their corner, until they make a simple mistake and then watch out.

My 11 year old son's soccer coach is like CFM. He repeatedly dresses down players when they miss shots on goal. It's very discouraging. As a result, our players play extremely tight for fear they'll make mistakes. We lose games we shouldn't lose, similar to SC losing to Coastal, Princeton.

I recognize that SC teams generally improve during the course of the season. I think there are multiple reasons for this. Pure speculation, btw. 1) they work incredibly hard and have more stamina than most other teams, 2) they eventually tune out CFM after being screamed at repeatedly, so they're less affected by his tantrums later in the season.

I sincerely hope CFM learns to motivate in a more positive way. I think his time at SC will be done soon, he will still be coaching somewhere for the next 10-20 years and those players deserve better.
I am a Frank supporter, but I admit your criticisms are fair ones.

I wish some of the Frank bashers would be more insightful and factual as opposed to just flinging mud.

I don’t have a problem with Martin getting on his players butt. This is big time college basketball and ultimately they made the decision to come here and play for him. He never pretended he would coach them any other way and it’s not like he’s a rookie head coach.

Now if you have a youth coach that reminds you of the outbursts you see from Frank Martin, I would consider removing my son from that team. There’s a big difference between SEC basketball which is basically semi-professional and 11 year old youth soccer.

I am a Frank supporter, but I admit your criticisms are fair ones.

I wish some of the Frank bashers would be more insightful and factual as opposed to just flinging mud.

I don’t have a problem with Martin getting on his players butt. This is big time college basketball and ultimately they made the decision to come here and play for him. He never pretended he would coach them any other way and it’s not like he’s a rookie head coach.

Now if you have a youth coach that reminds you of the outbursts you see from Frank Martin, I would consider removing my son from that team. There’s a big difference between SEC basketball which is basically semi-professional and 11 year old youth soccer.
My 11 year son's coach is like CFM, not quite as harsh. Many/most of the parents are unhappy with how he belittles our kids. Like CFM, he's also a very smart coach who teaches them skills, so it's not terrible all the time. We're halfway through the current nine-month season. We plan to stay until the season ends, mainly because the boys are all friends and there's only two subs and we don't want to leave the team short handed.

My wife thinks it's silly that I make these kind of posts. Part of my intention is to vent, which I suspect many others are doing, however I'm also genuinely (naively?) hopeful that the message will find it's way to CFM and he will consider it.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
No crow on my plate. Nice win, congratulations to the team, still not impressed with coaching. He’s a good coach, he could be much better. It’s up to him. A win doesn’t change the fact he needs to do better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT