ADVERTISEMENT

We are not in ESPN preseason Top 34 for next year in basketball

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Apparently Thornwell meant that much and everyone else was not that good on the team. Honestly we played toe to toe with Gonzaga and Thornwell was not 100% at all. I guess we have to play well and make tournament for a few years before we get respect for accomplishments.
Worth noting that we went 5-3 against their preseason Top 25.
Just interesting to see, but we went to Final Four even with ESPN saying we would lose the next game every time out.
But dont worry, Kentucky and North Carolina are the Top 2 teams. You know those guys right? The teams that ESPN kisses up to the most of anyone.

Not exactly sure why you expect to be ranked highly. If this years team was coming back intact, of course. But Thornwell is gone, and there isn't anyone to replace him no matter how rosy one thinks the future may be. Notice is gone. When he was on from 3 that turned this team into a real good team. And his defense was stellar. McKie wasn't his dad as we were all hoping, but he was solid off the bench and hit some key baskets in the regional. And PJ may leave. Inconsistent from time to time through the year, but was great down the stretch. This years run increased the visibility of the program, and Franks ability to recruit, but just don't see it paying off next year

I agree we may be a bubble team next year. Now we could come out and ball if PJ comes back. But losing 3 seniors is huge. If we lose pj it might be a long season.

Apparently Thornwell meant that much and everyone else was not that good on the team. Honestly we played toe to toe with Gonzaga and Thornwell was not 100% at all. I guess we have to play well and make tournament for a few years before we get respect for accomplishments.
Just interesting to see, but we went to Final Four even with ESPN saying we would lose the next game every time out.
But dont worry, Kentucky and North Carolina are the Top 2 teams. You know those guys right? The teams that ESPN kisses up to the most of anyone.
As my former boss informed me, one data point doesn't make a trend. If we're ranked in the top 10 the next couple years and then are not ranked pre-season, I would question the polls. We have to validate what we did this year before receiving the benefit of the doubt.

I wouldnt expect Top 10 for next year but maybe at least 20-25 range or at least honorable mention. Yes we do lose Notice and Thornwell. Notice defense hard to replace but you never know who will come in and surprise. Thornwell all around is hard to replace but I know they really like Holden. He can maybe replace 15-20 pts of scoring and some assists and steals but not rebounds. I dont expect top 10 but maybe think we will be decent enough to be in 20-30 range at least

Reactions: IrmoRed
I wouldnt expect Top 10 for next year but maybe at least 20-25 range or at least honorable mention. Yes we do lose Notice and Thornwell. Notice defense hard to replace but you never know who will come in and surprise. Thornwell all around is hard to replace but I know they really like Holden. He can maybe replace 15-20 pts of scoring and some assists and steals but not rebounds. I dont expect top 10 but maybe think we will be decent enough to be in 20-30 range at least

If they voted a post-season Top 25 right now, the Gamecocks would probably only be in the 18-25 range. Don't know why people would expect them to be pre-season Top 25 next year. It doesn't matter one bit.

I believe that ranking is a little low, however, they are probably considering these facts:
1. we were 3-3 without ST this year
2. we don't have ST next year
3. on their paper, our recruiting is not impressive

Not exactly sure why you expect to be ranked highly. If this years team was coming back intact, of course. But Thornwell is gone, and there isn't anyone to replace him no matter how rosy one thinks the future may be. Notice is gone. When he was on from 3 that turned this team into a real good team. And his defense was stellar. McKie wasn't his dad as we were all hoping, but he was solid off the bench and hit some key baskets in the regional. And PJ may leave. Inconsistent from time to time through the year, but was great down the stretch. This years run increased the visibility of the program, and Franks ability to recruit, but just don't see it paying off next year
This is a reasonable analysis of the situation. If PJ leaves that means we lose the entire starting back court. We really have no one to replace any of those guys on the current roster and thinking that any freshmen coming in can do that is just plain wishful, pie-in-the-sky thinking. I see this as an opportunity for Frank to improve recruiting in the future, but for the immediate future I see us taking a step back from where we are now.

If pj stays I think we make the dance. If he leaves I think not. But our recruiting will be way better next year. The future is bright. My gut is PJ stays and is a top 10 pick next year. After a nice run in the dance. We really could have won this thing this year.

Well what have learned about tournament seeding this past tournament and preseason polls over the last few years

wrong-scrubs.gif

Lost to Clemson without Thornwell. That alone tells you how important he was to the team. Kind of like how important Shaw was to football (some guys are just winners and elevate everyone elses play)

I'll go ahead and call it now: we'll be picked to finish about 7th or 8th in the SEC, and will finish in the top four again.

Reactions: IrmoRed
Lol, what did you expect?

A lot depends on what Dozier decides to do. Several mock drafts have him going in the first round, but he hasn't made a decision yet about whether he'll enter the draft or remain in college and even if he enters, he could later withdraw.

If Dozier comes back, USC can probably survive the loss of Thornwell, Notice, and McKie. If he goes to the NBA, there could be at least one year of modest rebuilding.

If they voted a post-season Top 25 right now, the Gamecocks would probably only be in the 18-25 range. Don't know why people would expect them to be pre-season Top 25 next year. It doesn't matter one bit.
Try 6th.

I'm not worried a bit about the basketball program or next season. It has been conclusively proven that Martin knows how to recruit at a level to put together a Final Four team. And that was before he could walk into a recruit's house and say, "Hey, I took a team to the Final Four."

So who cares what a magazine ranks us? Just sit back and enjoy: the future is bright.

We very much need Dozier to come back.

Hopefully he comes back. I think it would be best for him and certainly best for our team's chances. But if he doesn't, we still have Martin at the helm. It might take some rebuilding, but we'd be competitive enough within a year or two.

Losin THORNWELL hurts, no doubt... so will losing players like Mckie and Notice...

More than it hurt us to lose Carrera the year before? And the two Lithuanians? That was two of our best players from the starting lineup and a role player, first off the bench guy... these three seniors= our best player, our best defensive player and a role player first off the bench guy...

Is Thornwell THAT much more valuable to our team than Carrera was? Honestly? Sure, he was the heart and soul this year, willed us to win... so did Carrera the year before. I remember the same talk afte the graduated, and we got BETTER the year after he left... we got better because EVERY player improved. That is what a good coach does- he builds a TEAM. When Martin was a K State he went to the elite 8, the previous pinnacle of his success, they year AFTER his best player during his tenure there graduated. He doesn't build teams around one guy, he just build WINNERS. We have a core returning- Silva, Kotsar, Felder... Maybe PJ comes back, then we have role players with tons of experience who WILL be improved- Keita, Gravett and a couple others. We have a talented transfer who will be able to play next year and a good recruiting class... this team will be fine without Sin, with or without PJ. If we get multiple people who can score at a more consistent level, we could be just as good next year. This offense left a lot to be desired- keep the defensive intensity, improve the O just a bit... and our scheme becomes almost unbeatable.

Reactions: crafty30
They DO vote post season top 25 right now and you aren't even close:
https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/gamecocks-finish-6th-in-final-coaches-poll

Also SI put us at 16 in their "way too early" top 25 for next year, so apparently THAT might be part of the reason "why people would expect them to be top 25 next year"...

Just saying... look around at least a LITTLE BIT at actual info before acting all condescending to people... Not a good look...

Forget ESPN... They are no longer a sport channel... The are now politics...

After that hit piece on Coats and USC Sunday night, ESPN is dead to me...

it is based on History, it will take a couple Tournament runs to gain respect. The voters look at this year as a fluke. Look at the Baseball team, IMO they are ranked higher than they should be, based on history.. Them being ranked as a top ten, in some polls, is based on how good they HAVE BEEN, IMO, this team right now, is in no way a top ten team..

They DO vote post season top 25 right now and you aren't even close:
https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/gamecocks-finish-6th-in-final-coaches-poll

Also SI put us at 16 in their "way too early" top 25 for next year, so apparently THAT might be part of the reason "why people would expect them to be top 25 next year"...

Just saying... look around at least a LITTLE BIT at actual info before acting all condescending to people... Not a good look...
They would do research, but that might not coincide with their carefully crafted negative view of our programs. It isn't always sunny, but today, both basketball teams are looking at beautiful cloudless days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT