ADVERTISEMENT

We are the ugly ducklings but I’ll take 7-3

We both dominated them statistically and allowed them to make it a four quarter game in our building. No reason to gloat about that. Not trolling to point it out.

No reason to gloat that this team is 7-3? Really? Yes, you are trolling if you're bitching after a win when most of you "realists" were declaring the team would only win 4-5 games this year. Sorry you miserable bastards can't enjoy a win. I feel sorry for you. God bless you.

If we play this sloppy against Clemson they will dominate us again. I was really hoping to see a productive offense today.

Yes, Jake needs to be sharper against Clemson. There are players running wide open in the Clemson secondary, but the FSU quarterback can't connect. Otherwise, that game is very tight. The right quarterback can beat Clemson.

No reason to gloat that this team is 7-3? Really? Yes, you are trolling if you're bitching after a win when most of you "realists" were declaring the team would only win 4-5 games this year. Sorry you miserable bastards can't enjoy a win. I feel sorry for you. God bless you.
He has. Marvelously. Among other things, He blessed me with poise and searing logic.

Yes, Jake needs to be sharper against Clemson. There are players running wide open in the Clemson secondary, but the FSU quarterback can't connect. Otherwise, that game is very tight. The right quarterback can beat Clemson.
They aren't as good as they were. Measurably.

Arkansas is a juggernaut. Everyone knows it.

Lol. Trolling again? The "ignore" feature was made for clowns like you. Not that I can't take different opinions or perspectives. Like is too short and precious to put up with miserable bastards like you. Good luck with that. No reason to reply, I won't see it.

Ain't nobody "satisfied" but the record is a lot better than I thought it would be. This team had problem areas coming into season and still does, but I'll bet there are a lot of SEC teams who would like to have our record.
Not only did these coaches inherit the empty cupboard we ALL should know by now, we weren't expected to win but "maybe" 4 games this year, We've also had some atrocious, costly injuries as well. Regardless of who we're playing, we've done a remarkable job this year getting to 7 wins (we weren't exactly considered better than Fla or Tenn so why we expected to dominate anybody is beyond me)! If we beat Wofford (and I have to hope we do because we should - of all games although those teams give us a problem with their offensive schemes) and later give our amazing rival - the best team in the world to ever take the field at their very best ever - a decent game, we've had an incredible year. Not sure that'll happen because they're, right not, much better than we are & not dealing with near the injuries we've had, but that's about all I could ask at this point! Improvement & strong recruiting is what we need and we'll be back on top before long! Go Cocks! This year has been a success in spite of "ugly" games IMO!

Lol. Trolling again? The "ignore" feature was made for clowns like you. Not that I can't take different opinions or perspectives. Like is too short and precious to put up with miserable bastards like you. Good luck with that. No reason to reply, I won't see it.
For those who see it, that's just less work for me to do.

You are what your record says you are.

He'll never get it. You might as well stop trying to help him.

We all know what Parcells mean't. He mean't that if you're 3-6, you're 3-6 for a reason. Conversely, if you're 7-3, you're 7-3 for a reason................just like you restated for our reading comprehensively challenged board members. You are what your record says you are. Such a simple concept, for so many (like King Ward cough cough) to not understand it.

I mean 7-3 is 7-3 and I'm grateful for that, but let's be honest. We've played 10 games and probably close to 6 of those teams are looking to get rid of their coach (if not already fired) and 2 others could be considered on the hot seat entering this season. Let that sink in for a moment.

Our 2011-2013 squad would be undefeated and playing Bama in the SEC championship with this schedule. We play who we play and that's fine but we've got a looooooong way to go before saying "we're back."

I mean 7-3 is 7-3 and I'm grateful for that, but let's be honest. We've played 10 games and probably close to 6 of those teams are looking to get rid of their coach (if not already fired) and 2 others could be considered on the hot seat entering this season. Let that sink in for a moment.

Our 2011-2013 squad would be undefeated and playing Bama in the SEC championship with this schedule. We play who we play and that's fine but we've got a looooooong way to go before saying "we're back."
I deeply appreciate your courage for saying those very sensible things.

Reactions: Vincent Hanna
An ugly win this late in the year only shows how little our team has progressed. We should have dominated Florida in the same manner the Missouri Tigers did last week. Did our secondary forget their job is to cover the WR's or did they honestly think the Florida QB was going to ramble down the field untouched for 50 yards? And let's just make it clear to the SC kicker he will not be wearing a Gamecock uniform next season. As for the offense, running shotgun on 4th and one for the last eleven plus years is really getting old. How about Google "The I-Formation" and see if it might work moving forward. And for an O-line that was supposed to have improved per the CBS announcers, please explain how two Florida defenders are dancing with our QB untouched on two plays that almost cost us a safety and an interception. Personally, when you turn the ball over four times against a horrible team and almost blow a game at home, it is NOTHING to be satisfied with MOVING FORWARD.
Have you forgotten where we came from to get to 7-3? We turned the ball over 4 times and won, we used to GET 4 turnovers and still LOSE! Where did you think we would be at this juncture?

We won earlier in the year and everybody bitched that we were outgained and lost TOP. Well, we outgained them by 168 yards and owned TOP by over 11 minutes. Protect the ball and the scoreboard would have reflected the dominate stats.

Some are never happy no matter what happens. I refer to these types as “dark cloud people” because no matter what they will find the negative. Everywhere they go, everything they do, they have that dark cloud over there head.

Reactions: anon_n4c0cp5zhdxn7
He'll never get it. You might as well stop trying to help him.

We all know what Parcells mean't. He mean't that if you're 3-6, you're 3-6 for a reason. Conversely, if you're 7-3, you're 7-3 for a reason................just like you restated for our reading comprehensively challenged board members. You are what your record says you are. Such a simple concept, for so many (like King Ward cough cough) to not understand it.
But the reasons might have as much or more to do with who you play and the conditions under which you play them. In other words, the reasons don't necessarily have everything to do with you.

internet-trolls-trolls-internet-trolls-profile-ipredator-image_zpsbrkqxfnk.png
Congrats on your "cut and paste" skills. Any other talents?

Have you forgotten where we came from to get to 7-3? We turned the ball over 4 times and won, we used to GET 4 turnovers and still LOSE! Where did you think we would be at this juncture?
Name me a single SEC game we have won this year against any team with a winning record. Missouri is now 5-5 and yet they beat the hell out of UF and UT. Kentucky is 7-3. No wait, my bad, That was a loss. Louisiana Tech is 4-6 and we beat the hell out of them at home by one point. Here we go, Texas A& M is 6-4 and we took it to them in College Station. No, crap! Lost that one. Powerhouse Arkansas is 4-6 and I think our defense scored as many points as our offense that day. Hmmmm. The Vols are rocking at 4-6 and just got the $#^% kicked out of them by Missouri. 4 and 6 Vandy wanted Bama early this year. How did that turn out? Another loss to the same Georgia team that just got the %$#^ kicked out of it by Auburn. So much for being Number One when you play one good team all season long heading into The Plains. And finally...3-6 Florida. Yeah, when you squeak by teams with losing records to get to 7-3 I am sure it is something to crow about. Laughable if not so pathetic an arguement you put forth.

Reactions: king ward
Some are never happy no matter what happens. I refer to these types as “dark cloud people” because no matter what they will find the negative. Everywhere they go, everything they do, they have that dark cloud over there head.
People like Coach Saban, for instance. Yeah, I see what you mean. We just need more sunshine pumped up our ^%$#. I refer to people like you as "a member of the Titanic orchestra".

I love the development of our line play. To me that is the exciting part....we have gone from atrocious to what I would judge as better than average in less than two seasons. You can see the tough nosed football team we are starting to become get a little clearer every week.

We are getting there....we have some good football days ahead of us.

Tks for a good laugh. Wish some posters would lighten up and enjoy what BOOM and company have accomplished this year.
With almost any other QB than Jake, we would have lost this game but on the other side he seemed to be channeling Todd Ellis with those throws to the wrong colored jerseys.

Name me a single SEC game we have won this year against any team with a winning record. Missouri is now 5-5 and yet they beat the hell out of UF and UT. Kentucky is 7-3. No wait, my bad, That was a loss. Louisiana Tech is 4-6 and we beat the hell out of them at home by one point. Here we go, Texas A& M is 6-4 and we took it to them in College Station. No, crap! Lost that one. Powerhouse Arkansas is 4-6 and I think our defense scored as many points as our offense that day. Hmmmm. The Vols are rocking at 4-6 and just got the $#^% kicked out of them by Missouri. 4 and 6 Vandy wanted Bama early this year. How did that turn out? Another loss to the same Georgia team that just got the %$#^ kicked out of it by Auburn. So much for being Number One when you play one good team all season long heading into The Plains. And finally...3-6 Florida. Yeah, when you squeak by teams with losing records to get to 7-3 I am sure it is something to crow about. Laughable if not so pathetic an arguement you put forth.
Four of those teams you mentioned. Have A losing record because they couldn't beat us.

Last edited:
Wow, kinda sad when we win seven games and still have people whine and cry. This is a free board and I'm sure many young high school players visit to only see a bunch of cry baby talk. My goodness we're 7 & 3 and going bowling. Some on here just won't be satisfied unless we lose so they an say "Told you so". Get behind coach Champ and this team or go somewhere else. You make this board miserable.

But the reasons might have as much or more to do with who you play and the conditions under which you play them. In other words, the reasons don't necessarily have everything to do with you.

I agree with you on that. We are not a great team by any means. We are scrappy. I have no delusions of us beating Bama any time soon, but I expect WM to try and get us there. So yeah, if we had played 5 top ten teams and lost to all of them by a point, we'd be O-5 but we'd be a little better than our record compared to the rest of the country. If we played 5 cupcakes, went 5-0, we'd be overrated.

Since we don't have to worry about style points this year b/c we're not in some playoff picture, I'll take 7-3 and be ticked at year's end that we lost to KY and blew the lead in the fourth vs TAMU

Well, 1 of the reason these teams aren't good is because we beat them. Are we great ? No, but this feels better than 3-9.

Wow, kinda sad when we win seven games and still have people whine and cry. This is a free board and I'm sure many young high school players visit to only see a bunch of cry baby talk. My goodness we're 7 & 3 and going bowling. Some on here just won't be satisfied unless we lose so they an say "Told you so". Get behind coach Champ and this team or go somewhere else. You make this board miserable.
This.......told you so-ism

Well, 1 of the reason these teams aren't good is because we beat them. Are we great ? No, but this feels better than 3-9.
There you go Jeff. We've come a heck of a long way, especially after losing those key players early in the season.

You miss the entire point of progress made. You name teams not doing well but hell man we lost to the Citadel two years ago. It's not about other teams it's about us. It's the big picture I see. We're way ahead of schedule regardless of who sucks right now and who does not. As Spock would say "You're argument is not logical".

Reactions: BigTomE
Some of our fans should set their 2017 expectations at a more realistic level. I am completely happy with our 7-3 record THIS season, but that doesn't mean that I do not expect improvement going forward. Our rebuild is ahead of schedule, no doubt about it.

Reactions: NA Gamecock
We may be about the same age...59 and Class of 1980. But I was raised in both Alabama and South Carolina. As for the game of football, the mentality of the two states when it comes to accepting "ugly" wins will always keep Alabama as a Top Tier Program and keep SC fans glowing about being "ahead of schedule." F### that! I wanted to see the Gamecocks kick the every loving #### out of Florida and make their fans regret every wasting their time and money coming to Columbia...that same feeling they had a week ago. Now they get to tell the recruits that no matter how bad they were in 2017, SC just barely beat them. But hey, we are ahead of a schedule someone from the Town of Mediocracy decided was the best we could be.
Why are you comparing us the bama in any way? It's an unrealistic comparison that makes us look worse than we are. Compare anybody to bama and they fail. We are doing very good in getting better from the ground up. A quick fix will lead to a quick fall. You want to win long term from our position and history you have to have a good coach for a long time.

Absolutely. Why are we 7-3?

#1 Much softer schedule than expected
#2 Defense much improved

In that order.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT