ADVERTISEMENT

We are who we thought we were

fftar

Oct 2, 2007
And that’s a 7-5 or 8-4 team. Barring a letdown we win against Wofford and FLA. Those are far from gimmes but we should win those. Could we have beat GA? Yes but we lose that game 8 out of 10 times at their place. They are just better this year.

I’ve been very critical of Roper (especially at the beginning of the year) but the offense as a whole has improved during the year. If Deebo does indeed come back and we don’t lose any other key players unexpectedly (injury, etc) we have a team that has the potential to play in the SEC championship next year. I said “POTENTIAL”!

Preseason I hoped for 7 reg season wins. 8 would be fantastic, 9 (bowl win/clemzon) would be borderline incredible. I, too, have been critical of Roper at times, but improvement is visible at this point.

Preseason I hoped for 7 reg season wins. 8 would be fantastic, 9 (bowl win/clemzon) would be borderline incredible. I, too, have been critical of Roper at times, but improvement is visible at this point.
Roper did not miss a wide open AJ Turner for what would've been 6. Roper does not throw behind or below guys on slants effectively eliminating YAC if the pass is even completed. Roper has put the offense in position to do pretty well. Is he great? No, and I guess you can argue he needs to be coaching up the QB a little better. I bet we see him again next year.

I will take the potential 8 wins and the extra 3 to 4 weeks of practice for the bowl game. Invaluable experience for the youngsters and will help create additional leadership for next year. Hopefully with Deebo and BAW coming back and with the potential for Jake and his receivers to get additional practice we will be a good team next year barring injuries. We still have to recruit talented depth to be a good team. Just look at Georgia and their depth.

I would venture we are better than most thought we were....including many on here. Don't think very many honestly thought we were a possible 8/9 win team at the beginning of the year. Our coaches even said we could be improved and still end up with the same record as last year.

I would venture we are better than most thought we were....including many on here. Don't think very many honestly thought we were a possible 8/9 win team at the beginning of the year. Our coaches even said we could be improved and still end up with the same record as last year.
I think our record is maybe better than what most thought it would be but that is a little tarnished due to a few things:

1). When you look at the teams we beat there’s only one real good win. NC State. Mizzou, Tenn, Ark, and Vandy are all struggling.

2). We have one respectable loss and that was GA. KY is pretty good but I think most of us agree that we choked or laid an egg that game. A&M was a bad loss. We choked that game away too against a struggling team.

3). Let’s face it, we should have lost to LA Tech.

Regardless, if we play like we did against GA the next two weeks, all of this above will be forgotten/forgiven and we’ll all be happy w 8-3 w the Tigers coming to town.

There are always going to be areas of concern for a rebuilding football team and this team is no exception. However, a reasonable person has to be pleased with where we are versus where we recently have been.

This team has competed and they seem motivated and well coached. They're winning most of the close games and that's a good sign. We've been in every ball game late into the fourth quarter. This team is progressing nicely.

I thought to begin the year we were around a 6 win team. To have a chance to win 8+ games is well ahead of the curve in my opinion.

I thought before the season we would be in that 7 to 8 win zone. If we manage 9 wins, I will consider it an outstanding season. Honestly, we were more competitive than I thought we would be against Georgia. IMO, the defense played well enough to win, the offense was just a couple of incompletions away from going into the end of the 4th quarter tied or one score down. I agree with Sulayman about Roper. Not a great OC, but not nearly as bad as some on this board make him out to be. Bentley has had a good season. If he had not developed over throw-itis this year, he could have had an outstanding season. I hope this is just a sophomore slump and he comes out more dialed in next year.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think our record is maybe better than what most thought it would be but that is a little tarnished due to a few things:

1). When you look at the teams we beat there’s only one real good win. NC State. Mizzou, Tenn, Ark, and Vandy are all struggling.

2). We have one respectable loss and that was GA. KY is pretty good but I think most of us agree that we choked or laid an egg that game. A&M was a bad loss. We choked that game away too against a struggling team.

3). Let’s face it, we should have lost to LA Tech.

Regardless, if we play like we did against GA the next two weeks, all of this above will be forgotten/forgiven and we’ll all be happy w 8-3 w the Tigers coming to town.
Agree, especially with UK. TAMU just used there depth to completely wear us down. We couldn't keep them off Jake. LA Tech reminded me of the Clemson game versus Troy last year...didn't take them seriously and almost bit us in the rear.

And that’s a 7-5 or 8-4 team. Barring a letdown we win against Wofford and FLA. Those are far from gimmes but we should win those. Could we have beat GA? Yes but we lose that game 8 out of 10 times at their place. They are just better this year.

I’ve been very critical of Roper (especially at the beginning of the year) but the offense as a whole has improved during the year. If Deebo does indeed come back and we don’t lose any other key players unexpectedly (injury, etc) we have a team that has the potential to play in the SEC championship next year. I said “POTENTIAL”!
With the offense the Cocks have, it is a credit to have as many wins as they do. If it was 25% better, they would be a really top notch team.

My biggest criticism of Roper is abandoning what is working for something else, like the times he's abandoned the run, which has gotten is us to the red zone, to call 3 straight pass plays and we have to settle for a FG.

I said preseason, 7 wins AND win the bowl game (so 8 wins total).
Or when it's 3rd and 5 and you call a play with nothing but deep routes but use a tight end screen when its 3rd and forever.

I thought before the season we would be in that 7 to 8 win zone. If we manage 9 wins, I will consider it an outstanding season. Honestly, we were more competitive than I thought we would be against Georgia. IMO, the defense played well enough to win, the offense was just a couple of incompletions away from going into the end of the 4th quarter tied or one score down. I agree with Sulayman about Roper. Not a great OC, but not nearly as bad as some on this board make him out to be. Bentley has had a good season. If he had not developed over throw-itis this year, he could have had an outstanding season. I hope this is just a sophomore slump and he comes out more dialed in next year.
Agree. And I think that's what Muschamp wants....and effective offense, not an explosive offense. No defensive coach does. You don't want to keep sending your defense out after 2 minute offensive drives (especially when they don't score). That is what is happening in the Big 12 and defenses are pretty much non-existent. Muschamp trusts his defense, much more than he trust an offense. Same way with Smart....they just have the backs and the OL to dominate a run game. But both win with smothering defense.

Or when it's 3rd and 5 and you call a play with nothing but deep routes but use a tight end screen when its 3rd and forever.
I'd like to see that 3rd and 5 with nothing but deep routes. Haven't seen it yet....just like that dive play we "always" run on first down.

Screens are nothing unusual even with 3rd and forever in the college game today. There is no high percentage play on 3rd an forever, might as well try to clear out the secondary and run a screen.

Reactions: DC-99
Guilty, I had us penciled in for 5 or 6 this year. That we're improving this quickly under Muschamp has really made me a believer that he can bring us back and faster than I expected.

Guilty, I had us penciled in for 5 or 6 this year. That we're improving this quickly under Muschamp has really made me a believer that he can bring us back and faster than I expected.
Same. I was hoping 6 after looking at the schedule. I'll will grant that the schedule didn't turn out as ominous as it first looked though.

10 out of 10.

We are who I "hoped" we would be, but not necessarily who I thought we would be. The defense is light years better than I would have ever imagined. The offense is worse than I expected, but we did lose our top wide receiver and running back. For a team lacking in depth (thank you former coaching staff), it's hard to overcome losses like that. Getting Samuels back next year is huge.

I'd like to see that 3rd and 5 with nothing but deep routes. Haven't seen it yet....just like that dive play we "always" run on first down.

Screens are nothing unusual even with 3rd and forever in the college game today. There is no high percentage play on 3rd an forever, might as well try to clear out the secondary and run a screen.
Go back and look at the first drive of the GA game. Either he's calling plays with deep routes or our QB isn't smart enough to go through check downs and realize we only need 5 yards, not 50 with double coverage all over the receiver. Defenses know we are going to run before we do.

if "we are who we thought we were" and 7-5 or 8-4 will be the record, then how can anyone complain that " we haven't beaten anyone yet "

i for one, believe this program is way ahead of schedule

Go back and look at the first drive of the GA game. Either he's calling plays with deep routes or our QB isn't smart enough to go through check downs and realize we only need 5 yards, not 50 with double coverage all over the receiver. Defenses know we are going to run before we do.
The one that he overthrew an open Edwards? He never took his eyes off Edwards...never looked him off. Don't know many plays other than Hail Mary's where everyone goes deep, usually there is a crossing pattern and a tailback or TE near the line as a fail safe.

The one that he overthrew an open Edwards? He never took his eyes off Edwards...never looked him off. Don't know many plays other than Hail Mary's where everyone goes deep, usually there is a crossing pattern and a tailback or TE near the line as a fail safe.
He can't hit the easy throws to the tailback. Sails all of them or the back has to adjust and he's dead in the water. Throws the crossing patterns behind the receiver or high and puts the receiver in a vulnerable position. If Roper is good at developing QB's then we should be seeing evidence of Jake going through progressions and looking off defenders better. The blocking is there.

Season is not complete yet but if you told me we would win 8-9 games this year before the season, I would have been pleased. Work in progress.
I would have too. And I still will be if that turns out to be the case.

But, if we're being honest, none of us would have thought at the beginning of the decision that all our SEC opponents, with the exception of Georgia, would turn out to be average or well-below average teams. 8-4 doesn't mean the same thing this year that it has historically in the SEC.

Roper did not miss a wide open AJ Turner for what would've been 6. Roper does not throw behind or below guys on slants effectively eliminating YAC if the pass is even completed. Roper has put the offense in position to do pretty well. Is he great? No, and I guess you can argue he needs to be coaching up the QB a little better. I bet we see him again next year.

Hard to hit the far out runner when the QB is hit as he throws the pass.

This. WE LOST TO THE DAMN CITADEL LESS THAN 2 YEARS AGO!
It's worth noting that we played that game WITHOUT A HEAD COACH or permanent coaching staff. Surely, the addition of a permanent coaching staff gets us over the Citadel hump at this point. We didn't lose to the Citadel because they had more talent.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
He can't hit the easy throws to the tailback. Sails all of them or the back has to adjust and he's dead in the water. Throws the crossing patterns behind the receiver or high and puts the receiver in a vulnerable position. If Roper is good at developing QB's then we should be seeing evidence of Jake going through progressions and looking off defenders better. The blocking is there.
I understand Jake struggles to hit those passes, but Thad Lewis and Sean Renfree indicate that Roper can coach a QB (even low rated ones) well enough to be drafted or get a free agent deal in the NFL. Maybe Jake needs to talk more with Roper when he gets on the sideline than the RB coach?

Hard to hit the far out runner when the QB is hit as he throws the pass.
Was completely untouched (not even pressured) on the wheel-route to Turner. It's a throw that every single danged QB seems to be able to make on Saturday, except ours.

The one he was hit on was the attempt to Edwards on the last drive that was intercepted...and Edwards was also open.

I would have too. And I still will be if that turns out to be the case.

But, if we're being honest, none of us would have thought at the beginning of the decision that all our SEC opponents, with the exception of Georgia, would turn out to be average or well-below average teams. 8-4 doesn't mean the same thing this year that it has historically in the SEC.

Its better on your outlook if you start out with the glass half full and go from there. Starting with a half empty glass is numerically the same but not emotionally.

Was completely untouched (not even pressured) on the wheel-route to Turner. It's a throw that every single danged QB seems to be able to make on Saturday, except ours.

The one he was hit on was the attempt to Edwards on the last drive that was intercepted...and Edwards was also open.

The long pass up the middle resulting in an interception was the one I referred to. Memory failed to identify the one your talked about. If Jake had not been hit, Edwards was far enough in front that he would likely been able to catch it and could have scored.....hopefully.

The long pass up the middle resulting in an interception was the one I referred to. Memory failed to identify the one your talked about. If Jake had not been hit, Edwards was far enough in front that he would likely been able to catch it and could have scored.....hopefully.
The one I was referring to, Turner's wheel route, was in the first half. Agree....looked liked Edwards had tons of open space in front of him and was wide-open.

The one I was referring to, Turner's wheel route, was in the first half. Agree....looked liked Edwards had tons of open space in front of him and was wide-open.
I was talking about Turner's wheel route, but I could have easily named many other overthrown passes over the course of the year. It seems like Jake has more time in the pocket of the last few games, so I hope he can start learning to dial in the throws especially earlier in games.

If he doesn't get hit on the throw, it's a touchdown. For those still doubting Roper's play calling, go back to this interception, get a handle on the down/distance/time on the clock. Uga knows we want to throw. We run a screen and our best WR gets past their secondary... and would have scored on an avg throw. Damn good play call.

Remember guys Jake is just a Soph. he's going to miss a few.
I'm well aware and will give the kid some room to grow. I believe most people are just pointing out that Roper has dialed up some good stuff that was executed poorly. He is ultimately responsible for Bentley's development, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT