ADVERTISEMENT

We better Curb stomp UNC

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
After the Heroic Belk Bowl performance Muschamp better bring the wood to Charlotte . If this game is anywhere close or we have a UVA repeat performance and drop an L against another Bad ACC team then it might be time for Champ to take the train . Expecting big things week 1 . If we lose and then get Obliterated by Bama things are gonna go south Quickly . Better bring his A game to Charlotte this year .

OP, nothing would make me happier, but have we "curb stomped" anybody under Muschamp? I'm too lazy to look it up, but if I have to look it up, it probably hasn't happened often enough. Realistically, I'm thinking a win along the lines of 34-17 is about the most we can hope for the first game. Regardless of the score, I'd really like to see a credible offense and a defense that looks worthy of Muschamp's defensive reputation.

Anticipating a pretty solid effort to start the season, especially after the way they closed last year.

Current -7/-7.5 line is appealing.

Very important game for Muschamp. Now do I think he is going to get fired this year? No. Only way I could see that happening is if the wheels totally came off and they win only a couple games. But this is a pivotal game. Could be the difference in having a 7-5 type season where folks see progress, vs the fan base feeling that the program is going nowhere and that all are just waiting for the 20 season to be over an go through the coaching change chaos again

After the Heroic Belk Bowl performance Muschamp better bring the wood to Charlotte . If this game is anywhere close or we have a UVA repeat performance and drop an L against another Bad ACC team then it might be time for Champ to take the train . Expecting big things week 1 . If we lose and then get Obliterated by Bama things are gonna go south Quickly . Better bring his A game to Charlotte this year .
I’m worried about app st

Many on here have stated they're expecting a blow out. I see a win, and not that it can't happen, but I don't see what one could call a blowout.

I can't even fathom the meltdown if this game is close or heaven forbid a loss.

It’s very simple... On paper, it should be a blowout. A close game will be worrisome and disappointing, but not cause to completely throw it in. A loss would be completely inexcusable and it’d be time to start looking forward to basketball season.

Reactions: 92Pony
This should be a blowout, if we had a competent coaching staff. I expect it to be close and it should not be. It is so rare that we look well prepared that I can’t expect that. Unc is terrible but the line is about right I’m afraid.

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings

It's a HUGE statement game for our team and coach since you're only as good as your last game and in the reference we were not very good. That showing or lack there of is why we have flown completely under the radar this pre season. In sports perception is reality until you prove it wrong which is why the UNC game is so important. But if we do have a good showing don't be surprised if we don't get much credit as it will be all about Mack Brown's return anyway which is fine. Internally however we need a big win to get the momentum going early because the schedule does us no favors

Reactions: gamecockblack
I don't even know why you'd 'expect' a blowout.

Because you went 2-10 last year. Because you have a first year head coach. Because you are starting a true freshman quarterback. Because we've recruited better than you over the past 4 years and are more talented. Because we have a 4th year starting QB. Because we have a coach in Year 4.

On paper, it should be a blowout. I don't understand why people are afraid to admit this. Do I think it will be one? Who the hell knows, that's why they play the game.

Are we fans of and do we watch the same team play? For 20 years, since 1999, you might call 4 of our opening games a "curb stomp." Kinda, Sorta, Maybe. 2000 (N. Mexico St 31 - zip), 2008 (NC State 34 - zip), 2010 (Southern Miss 41-13) and 2018 (Coastal 49 -15) We lost 2 of 20 opening games - in 99 and in 2014. We should have curb stomped many of those opening teams over that 20 year period, but rarely did. I find it highly unlikely that we do so for this opening game. If you have been a fan for any length of time, you should realize that its just not the Gamecock way. We will more likely sleepwalk through the 1st half and then win by a field goal in the 4th. Its the garnet way!

Because you went 2-10 last year. Because you have a first year head coach. Because you are starting a true freshman quarterback. Because we've recruited better than you over the past 4 years and are more talented. Because we have a 4th year starting QB. Because we have a coach in Year 4.

On paper, it should be a blowout. I don't understand why people are afraid to admit this. Do I think it will be one? Who the hell knows, that's why they play the game.

You haven't blown out a P5 school in two years.

We are a Touchdown favorite. I don't understand why people expect this should be blowout it's not like were favored by 4 tds.

Last edited:
Reactions: lerario
I just want to go on record as saying I have no idea what to expect. Am not in the 'expecting a blowout' camp.

I am just saying, on paper, we should comfortably beat a 2-10 team who has a first year HC and true frosh at QB. If we don't, it'll be a long year.

He said it’s his best team at USC, so let’s win. The schedule excuse? The only thing different is Alabama, and that’s at least at home. We always play UGA and Clemson, who cares if they’re super good right now? The bowl left a bad taste, lose this one (and badly), then it gets worse. Granted, no real changes will be made this year, but apathy is ramped up to 100, and Boom is exactly where he was after 4 years at Florida. I guess what I’m saying is show some energy, and sense of urgency, and even a 1 point win is a win I suppose, but mainly show improvement since the bowl. Go Cocks!

Reactions: Cockish
5 or 6 wins this year. I hope I'm wrong.

7 or 8 in 2020 after Jake (the head case) is gone.

Even if we are bad this year and next year Muschamp will coach here until after the 2021 season unless he just craps the bed. (less than 5 wins)

OP, nothing would make me happier, but have we "curb stomped" anybody under Muschamp? I'm too lazy to look it up, but if I have to look it up, it probably hasn't happened often enough. Realistically, I'm thinking a win along the lines of 34-17 is about the most we can hope for the first game. Regardless of the score, I'd really like to see a credible offense and a defense that looks worthy of Muschamp's defensive reputation.
you make it sound like sos curbstomped teams regularly..lol...we have not been a curbstomping team in a while

I agree with the OP. Squeaker will be an adverse indicator. Loss would be an unmitigated disaster.

Yeap !! Just beat freaking Kentucky . For the love of God please . Never thought I would hear that come out of my mouth .

He said it’s his best team at USC, so let’s win. The schedule excuse? The only thing different is Alabama, and that’s at least at home. We always play UGA and Clemson, who cares if they’re super good right now? The bowl left a bad taste, lose this one (and badly), then it gets worse. Granted, no real changes will be made this year, but apathy is ramped up to 100, and Boom is exactly where he was after 4 years at Florida. I guess what I’m saying is show some energy, and sense of urgency, and even a 1 point win is a win I suppose, but mainly show improvement since the bowl. Go Cocks!
After four years at Florida, he was unemployed.

I really believe this is the year the program makes the BIG jump. So many tough games equals so many opportunities to shock the world.

Also, have you seen how quietly we have been recruiting a pass rush?

Reactions: Cocky247247247
you make it sound like sos curbstomped teams regularly..lol...we have not been a curbstomping team in a while
Actually, I didn't even mention SOS. Since you did, its true we didnt stomp as many teams under Spurrier as his Florida teams did. Still, there were about a dozen legitimate curb stompings during his tenure.

But, honestly, what is more fun than running up 50, 60, or 70 points against crap teams ( which we did under SOS), is just having a thoroughly dominating performance against good teams (which we did OFTEN under SOS). I'd be happy with such a dominating performance against UNC even though they aren't a good team.

My only thing that makes me mad regarding curb stompings under SOS is he didn’t do it when he could’ve, but he sure as hell did it to us at UF. He should’ve dropped 60 against UGA in 2012, cause God knows they returned the favor in 2015, and he should’ve dropped 40+ against the Taters in 2011, and as many as he wanted in 2010, preferably 70-7, which would’ve been the most lopsided score in this series I think. I guess we were saving it for the SECCG Eyeroll, but God also knows Dilbert couldn’t wait to RUTS as soon as he could. Of course those USC squads were meh, and Spurrier wasn’t on the opposite sideline. They really ought to put him on the payroll. If he had a few more years under his belt AND he continues to recruit and gets good coaches (that’s 2 huge if’s) no one is talking about Clemmons right now, and they’re still dreaming of ‘81.

My only thing that makes me mad regarding curb stompings under SOS is he didn’t do it when he could’ve, but he sure as hell did it to us at UF. He should’ve dropped 60 against UGA in 2012, cause God knows they returned the favor in 2015, and he should’ve dropped 40+ against the Taters in 2011, and as many as he wanted in 2010, preferably 70-7, which would’ve been the most lopsided score in this series I think. I guess we were saving it for the SECCG Eyeroll, but God also knows Dilbert couldn’t wait to RUTS as soon as he could. Of course those USC squads were meh, and Spurrier wasn’t on the opposite sideline. They really ought to put him on the payroll. If he had a few more years under his belt AND he continues to recruit and gets good coaches (that’s 2 huge if’s) no one is talking about Clemmons right now, and they’re still dreaming of ‘81.
While I know that we can beat them, last year is proof, them suckers have reloaded too quick and none of the skill players left. Bleacher Report was talking about 2 WRs last spring that were better than them other two they got now. The "jest of the article" was they could spread five 6'4"+ receivers and few Defenses could stop them. We will accept that challenge in November.
"The Beatdown on George Rogers Blvd."

Yes. That's actually the game I was referring to when I said two years ago.

And Arkansas was a much better team in 2017 than UNC has been in 2 years. UNC is a poor example of a P5 school these days....

In the 48-22 win over Arkansas, we scored 2.2 times as many points as they did. We also scored 2.4 times as many points as Missouri in 2017 (31-13), and 2.6 times as much as Vanderbilt last season (37-14). Two P5 teams that would kick UNC's ass the last 2 seasons, and this season as well....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT