ADVERTISEMENT

We have got to get a great running back.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Captain obvious I know but our running game must get better to EVER have a chance to compete. Winning with 2.7 yards per rush is smoke and mirrors that will fold more times than not. I personally do not see the line getting any better (they aren’t doing a bad job) next year. Lattimore made the line look good. We must find that next guy!
I believe that’s the most important piece that’s missing. Get that guy and sustain drives, move chains, back up opposing offenses, and give our defense rest and cushion.
Now.... where is he?

We had to opt for something less (in '15 and '16, particularly) and it really shows when you compare our RB's to other SEC teams. We lack power, and you've got to have that to be a whole team in the SEC.

Reactions: Judson1
When we run a play to the left and the whole D line is in the backfield, Speedy Gonzales could gain yard. When there are no holes open up the middle Foghorn Leghorn couldn’t even do better.
But yes we need to get something going in the running game.

Captain obvious I know but our running game must get better to EVER have a chance to compete. Winning with 2.7 yards per rush is smoke and mirrors that will fold more times than not. I personally do not see the line getting any better (they aren’t doing a bad job) next year. Lattimore made the line look good. We must find that next guy!
I believe that’s the most important piece that’s missing. Get that guy and sustain drives, move chains, back up opposing offenses, and give our defense rest and cushion.
Now.... where is he?
We've been saying it for the last 3 years. Since MD28 and Brandon Wilds left it's been a definite weakness. But even with those guys, we didn't have a great running game.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Now.... where is he?
Did you watch this game? No running back can run with 3 defensive lineman
hanging on him. The offensive ( and they are offensive) line were getting pushed
2-3 yards on every running play. For goodness sake, watch the replay. Our backs
were getting mutilated while those fat clowns were standing around just looking
confused. They do a decent job on pass protection because all they have to
do is get in the defensive lines way. When it comes to run blocking, pulling
and blocking down, they are pathetic.
I like Muschamp, but he has a blind spot when it comes to offense. I wrote
Ray Tanner an e-mail yesterday and told him he must take control and
find us an offensive group of coaches. As much as it hurts to say, we should
take a page from Clemtech's play book. Hire some good coaches, irregardless
of the cost. Quit worrying about parking spaces, upgrades for preferred fans,
gold plated faucets in dressing rooms. Hire some damn offensive coaches
that know you don't run 1st and 2nd down, throw on third. Spend some
MONEY. Dabo owns us and he is a mediocre coach, but shrewd enough to
hire good coaches, damn the expense. Wake up Ray, wake up Will before
you both will be told to clean your desks out and get the heck out of Dodge.
And that will be sooner than you think, if you don't wise up.

hanging on him. The offensive ( and they are offensive) line were getting pushed
Can I get an Amen?

I still maintain that we need more brute power at RB, however you're right on the money (not trying to play on words) about our need to staff up with mucho $$$. You're absolutely right about Dabo. He knows how to recruit coaches - with $$$. His own, if necessary. We need better AC's at OL, DL, Secondaey, LB, OC and DC at the least. Either money restraints or fear of hiring his future successor may be tying Muschamp's hands.

Reactions: Proudcock

Completely agree on your last point. Every good thing starts with leadership. This simple truth applies to everything in life, not just football. The Athletic Department, Coaches and Staff have to be qualified for the results that are expected of them. Simply put, a mediocre staff will return mediocre results. We need an AD that is ready to make some waves and set some expectations. Otherwise, we need a new AD. Stop hiring people from the hip and pony up some money to go get the right coordinators. Players like J. Clowney and M. Lattimore are one in a million for programs like ours. We need someone that can take the three star guys and bring them to a level to compete in the SEC. Tall order I agree but is there really another way when all the raw talent goes to the elite programs like bama and taterville?

I think there is a misconception about Dabo and his assistants. Chad Morris and Brent Venables arguably put Dabo where he is today. He didn't find a super-successful coach at Michigan or Texas and lure them away by over paying them. He made good hires, got out of their way, and when it became obvious how valuable those assistants were, THEN Dabo and Clemson open the coffers to KEEP them. That is where USC falls behind.

We are recruiting
We just hired a good OL coach, give him time. He has recruited a lot of good OL players, it just takes time to develop them....very, very few come in ready to play as FR or SO.

Reactions: SCexpat38

I must have been watching a different game than you. Did you get wet? I did.

What I saw were numerous times where the oline created seems but our backs cannot A) find the seem and hit it hard, and B) cannot run through the slightest of tacklers. Too much dancing around and wasting time only gets you stuffed at the LOS. There were a number of times they got to the next level only to be stuffed by LBs and DBs for short gains. A good RB needs to be able to break tackles and run through smaller guys on the defense. The oline's job is to just give them the opportunity to get to the second level. After that it is the RB's responsibility to get yardage after contact.

Sorry, it's our Offensive scheme, not the players. You can't just hand it to a rb 8 yards behind the LOS and say "pick a hole" anymore. That's lazy. (Unless it's a draw, which we apparently don't run anymore). No misdirection, play action, or anything else to take the lb's and de's away from the play. (Sliding Deebo around for a possible run at the edge is about it). Defenses love seeing the ball handed off to the rb from the shotgun. Clear view and a quick sprint to the ball. Our rb's are constantly being met 3 yards on our side of the LOS. What top recruit would want to run into that? Why not try something not from the shotgun, huh? (Not just a play or two). And get a dang fullback! Teams have figured out this Offense since the days of Lattimore and we just keep doing the same ole thing. Just another otj coach trying to modify someone else's offense. I really hope he succeeds, but until he figures out to run the ball successfully with our players, we're shooting for average. Pass, pass, pass, is pretty dang boring.

Reactions: roosterbell
Now.... where is he?[/QUOTE

As you pointed out, an upgrade in offensive lineman is essential no matter who is running the ball or throwing the ball.

Honestly what I see is a little of both . The OL hasn’t been terrific but our RB’s don’t run thru contact . Watch Benny Snell , even if he’s stopped in the hole he still gets that extra yard or two by just being more physical . Honestly of all the backs on our roster I like Mon Denson . He gets north and south in a hurry . Rico seems to be very inconsistent, against coastal and Vandy he ran violently and got those extra yards , different story against stiffer competition . I think the reason for the poor display this weekend was the predictable playcalling . Everyone on the field , the booth , the stands and sitting at home knew every possession was Run-Run-Pass on 3rd and long and punt . Can’t win against real deal teams with that brillant gameplan .

Our current commit, who I hope proves his ranking and offer list wrong, only has one Power 5 offer. How can you expect to line up against our competition every week recruiting at that level? Nothing personal against him. I’m sure he is a great guy and I hope one helluva running back. But power 5 schools, especially all of them, seldom get this wrong. I think this is a perfect example of our steady struggle in recruiting. CWM is as persistent as they come. But it’s made little difference. We are still middle of the pack in the conference recruiting race.

Our current commit, who I hope proves his ranking and offer list wrong, only has one Power 5 offer. How can you expect to line up against our competition every week recruiting at that level? Nothing personal against him. I’m sure he is a great guy and I hope one helluva running back. But power 5 schools, especially all of them, seldom get this wrong. I think this is a perfect example of our steady struggle in recruiting. CWM is as persistent as they come. But it’s made little difference. We are still middle of the pack in the conference recruiting race.

This post ^^^^ explains a lot re: our handicaps in recruiting when we lack a 'name' coach.

The recruit in question certainly LOOKS like a power runner, but his offer list . . . .

Reactions: Judson1
I didn't read any of the comments in this thread but I thought we were suppose to have three good running backs this season. Not necessarily great running backs but three GOOD running backs.

We are undefeated when Mon Denson had gotten the ball more then 8 carries in a game

Ok, just 2-0

2017 Arkansas, 8 carries for 25 yards, we won 48-22

2017 Florida, 13 carries for 61 yards, 2 touchdowns

2018 Kentucky was 7 carries, thus my statistic manipulation

All I can say is Mon goes forward

Reactions: king ward

Here is a great recap article on Snell's recruiting and why he was missed, from a Ohio State perspective but nice read for those of us that dont just go by stars and want to know how a Snell is missed

I think a key is he didnt go to camps after he committed and blow up before his senior year seems to be a reason

How Ohio State missed on Benny Snell, helped change Kentucky football
Jon Hale, Louisville Courier JournalPublished 6:32 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2018 | Updated 6:32 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2018

UK star running back Benny Snell is adjusting to his newfound fame as a Heisman Trophy candidate. Jon Hale, Louisville Courier Journal

TWEETLINKEDIN 1COMMENTEMAILMORE
LEXINGTON, Ky. – Had things worked out according to plan, UK star running back Benny Snell might be one of the key players in this season’s College Football Playoff race.

Attending Westerville Central High School, just 18 miles from Ohio State’s football stadium, Snell envisioned himself one day playing for the hometown Buckeyes.

But that admiration was never reciprocated.

“Coming from high school," Snell said, "I was always an Ohio State guy. I wanted to be a hometown hero, but that wasn’t the case."

Kentucky, Boston College, Iowa and Cincinnati were Snell's highest-profile scholarship offers, according to the Rivals.com database. Buffalo, Miami (Ohio) and Toledo are also listed.

Absent are the Big Ten powers, most notably Ohio State.

Heisman hype: Snell's Heisman Trophy odds improve after Mississippi State win

Watch: Mark Stoops confident Heisman hype won't affect Benny Snell

Rivals, 247Sports and Scout all rated Snell as a mid-level three-star recruit.

"I found myself at camps being the best one and still guys were getting running back MVPs and all that when I was the best one," Snell said. "I knew I was.”

The 247Sports Composite, which averages the ratings of the major services, ranked 37 prospects in Ohio better than him in the 2016 class, even after Snell ran for almost 4,000 yards and 57 touchdowns during his junior and senior seasons at Westerville.

“We missed him,” said Bill Greene, an Ohio recruiting expert who worked for Scout at the time and now works for 247Sports. “He was really good in high school. His film was really good and he played at a good program too. It’s not like he was hidden at some D7 school in the coal mines of Ohio or something. It was a visible school.

“That was just a miss by recruiting guys. We did have him as mid-three-star kid, so it’s not like we didn’t know who he was. But man, we never knew he was this good.”

Vince Marrow, Kentucky’s recruiting coordinator and Ohio recruiting ace, acknowledged he didn’t know Snell would be this good either.

But Marrow saw something early in Snell's high school career that Ohio State and the other Big Ten powers did not. Friend Ted Ginn Sr., a Cleveland high school coach and the father of former Ohio State star Ted Ginn Jr., tipped Marrow off after seeing Snell crush through an opposing defense during a high school playoff game.

“I went the next week and watched him play," Marrow said. "I was like, ‘Holy Jesus, this kid is exactly what we’re looking for.’”

Kentucky had struggled to run the ball in short-yardage situations early in the Mark Stoops era, and the UK coach had instructed Marrow to find him a running back who could get the tough yards needed for a first down.

Stoops and Marrow thought they had found that running back in the 2015 class in Madison Southern star Damien Harris, but despite the staff’s best efforts, Harris ultimately picked Alabama.

When Marrow started recruiting Snell, there were no national title contenders battling for his signature.

“You’re talking about a stone’s throw away from Ohio State, and everybody grows up being an Ohio State fan,” Westerville Central coach John Magistro said. “So, that [offer] wasn’t there along with a few other ones. A few other ones fell through. Kentucky was sold on him from the very beginning, and I think Benny appreciated that and recognized it.”

Snell committed to Kentucky in February 2015, almost a full year before he signed with the Wildcats.

But unlike several other recent under-the-radar recruits UK coaches identified early, including quarterbacks Mac Jones (2017) and Jarren Williams (2018), Snell largely ignored the camp circuit before his senior year.

“Usually you get a commitment that soon from a kid, he’s going to end up taking visits. He’s going to decommit,” Greene said. “I’ve seen that movie so many times, and so has Kentucky, but in that case, they just out-recruited everybody. They out-evaluated people.

“… If Benny would not have committed to Kentucky in February and then went to Nike in the spring, went to Under Armour in the spring, went to Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State camps in the summer, got a ton more offers, he would have blown [up].”

Snell, who said in high school he saw himself as a prototypical “Big Ten back” like former Ohio State star Ezekiel Elliott or former Michigan State star Jeremy Langford, gradually began to see himself playing in the Southeastern Conference.

Current UK quarterbacks coach Darin Hinshaw, one of the first college coaches to offer Snell a scholarship in his previous job at Cincinnati, saw how tight the bond between Snell and Kentucky became from the outside.

“Luckily, we’re over here on this side with him at Kentucky [now],” Hinshaw said.

At least one unnamed “northern school” made a late run at Snell, according to Marrow, but the family remained loyal to Kentucky.

By the time Ohio State showed any interest, the Kentucky relationship had been cemented by multiple visits to Lexington.

"They had already recruited, I think, five or six running backs before they even started sniffing around at Benny," said Snell's father, Ben Snell Sr. "Benny kind of was like, 'I’m going to pass on that. Thanks but no thanks, pretty much.'"

A subsequent inquiry as to whether Snell would be interested in playing outside linebacker for Ohio State was met with the same response.

The Buckeyes' highest-priority running back in the 2016 class was four-star New Jersey native Kareem Walker.

When Walker began to signal he was considering other options before ultimately decommitting from Ohio State in November 2015, Urban Meyer’s staff began pursuing four-star North Carolina native Antonio Williams. The Buckeyes also signed four-star Ohio prep running back DeMario McCall in the 2016 class.

Walker, who was briefly connected with Kentucky this summer after he announced he was transferring from Michigan, now plays for Fort Scott Community College in Kansas. Williams transferred from Ohio State to North Carolina in July. McCall, who was slotted 35 spots higher than Snell in the 2016 247Sports Composite Ohio rankings, has played in just 13 games in three seasons at Ohio State with 67 total carries.

The message Magistro heard from Ohio State and the other Big Ten powers was Snell was too slow to play running back for them. It was a common justification for keeping Snell’s recruiting ratings out of the four-star range too.

Speed has proven no barrier to Snell becoming Kentucky’s career record-holder in total touchdowns (39) or the SEC’s leader in rushing yards (540) this season.

But without the recruiting snubs, would his motivation have been the same?

Magistro acknowledges the chip on Snell's shoulder likely started in high school but notes, "the groundwork for him being a hard worker was laid before that, way before that.”

Snell Sr. points to the early snubs at recruiting camps as being key in forming that motivation even before the powerhouse programs passed on him in recruiting.

And with the Wildcats undefeated and ranked in the top 25 for the first time since 2007, perhaps Snell can end up affecting the playoff race after all.

Snell at Kentucky has already turned out better than anyone imagined.

"If we get accepted to an Ohio State, we don’t know if he would have been that guy or would have been just a number on the bench that would come in to relieve," Snell Sr. said. "We just don’t know. I tend to think wherever my son would have played football at he would be that guy."

Jon Hale: jahale@courier-journal.com; Twitter: @JonHale_CJ. Support strong local journalism by subscribing today: courier-journal.com/jonh.

Reactions: rogue cock
We are undefeated when Mon Denson had gotten the ball more then 8 carries in a game

Ok, just 2-0

2017 Arkansas, 8 carries for 25 yards, we won 48-22

2017 Florida, 13 carries for 61 yards, 2 touchdowns

2018 Kentucky was 7 carries, thus my statistic manipulation

All I can say is Mon goes forward
I like him. Nothing fancy, but positive yardage most all the time. If he can catch the ball adequately, I probably start him.

When we run a play to the left and the whole D line is in the backfield, Speedy Gonzales could gain yard. When there are no holes open up the middle Foghorn Leghorn couldn’t even do better.
But yes we need to get something going in the running game.
All the smart people told me that replacing Shawn Elliott would solve this problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT