ADVERTISEMENT

We need to hire Kirby Smart, period.

i keep seeing all these fans talking about this offensive guru or that offensive guru needs to be hired. Why? Brad Scott was the hottest OC in football when we hired him. Lou Holtz was an offensive guy with the mobile QB. Spurrier was an offensive genius. Aside from a couple good years here and there, how has that worked out? And it goes beyond us. Urban Meyer had a great run at Florida, but everybody forgets it was because he had a once in a lifetime player. Without Tebow, Meyers time at Florida was very pedestrian. Same with Malzahn. Same with Richt. Same with every other "offensive genius".

The fact is that if you have a great defense, you will ALWAYS be in games. Look at the Carolina Panthers...they're 10-0 and don't even have an NFL caliber WR on the team and an injury prone 30 year old RB. Why? Because they have a great defense and a defensive minded coach.

Not hiring Kirby Smart would be one of the biggest coaching mistakes we've ever made. The one and ONLY exception to this would be if Chip Kelly somehow came available and wanted to come here, but I don't see that.
Agree totally

i keep seeing all these fans talking about this offensive guru or that offensive guru needs to be hired. Why? Brad Scott was the hottest OC in football when we hired him. Lou Holtz was an offensive guy with the mobile QB. Spurrier was an offensive genius. Aside from a couple good years here and there, how has that worked out? And it goes beyond us. Urban Meyer had a great run at Florida, but everybody forgets it was because he had a once in a lifetime player. Without Tebow, Meyers time at Florida was very pedestrian. Same with Malzahn. Same with Richt. Same with every other "offensive genius".

The fact is that if you have a great defense, you will ALWAYS be in games. Look at the Carolina Panthers...they're 10-0 and don't even have an NFL caliber WR on the team and an injury prone 30 year old RB. Why? Because they have a great defense and a defensive minded coach.

Not hiring Kirby Smart would be one of the biggest coaching mistakes we've ever made. The one and ONLY exception to this would be if Chip Kelly somehow came available and wanted to come here, but I don't see that.

No we don't. Let Smart get his on-the-job Head Coach training on someone elses dime. And based on what Phil Kornblut is now reporting, he won't get his training on our dime.

I've been keeping a close eye on the coaching search & I haven't been hearing anything about Smart lately. All roads are leading to Tom Herman becoming our next HC.

you gotta hire the coach first and it needs to be a HC. and it will, Tanner seems smart.

Charlie Strong is not coming back to SC to be HC, that ship has sailed

I believe it will be Herman..at about 4.5-5.0 mil a year

If Tanner hires a coordinator , Tanner should be fired
Bosox

The only thing that worries me about Smart is he will leave once the Alabama Job is open. That will break the curse of South Carolina being a dead end job, but leaves the question how long will Nick be at Alabama?
Wouldn't it be nice to have another team want our coach, as opposed to being the coaching graveyard....

No we don't. Let Smart get his on-the-job Head Coach training on someone elses dime. And based on what Phil Kornblut is now reporting, he won't get his training on our dime.

To be fair Herman isn't exactly a seasoned HC....In fact he hasn't been one for one full season as of yet!

Reactions: Bosscock
To be fair Herman isn't exactly a seasoned HC....In fact he hasn't been one for one full season as of yet!

No, he is not what you would call "seasoned". But, unlike Smart, Tom Herman, this year, has given some evidence of his "coaching and recruiting chops" in the role of a Head Coach. Is that 100% proof? No. But, it is a clue and glimpse into what he is capable of as a Head Coach. His performance as a Head Coach this year gives us something to hang our hat on. We don't have that with Kirby Smart, unfortunately.

No, he is not what you would call "seasoned". But, unlike Smart, Tom Herman, this year, has given some evidence of his "coaching and recruiting chops" in the role of a Head Coach. Is that 100% proof? No. But, it is a clue and glimpse into what he is capable of as a Head Coach. His performance as a Head Coach this year gives us something to hang our hat on. We don't have that with Kirby Smart, unfortunately.

Sorry but I just don't see a ton of difference in the two! One has 10 games more under his belt that the other! No guarantee with either but 10 games is pretty flimsy evidence at best.....

Not a Herman hater or a Smart proponent but just pointing out there really isn't a bunch of difference in the two.....

Both have attributes I like......

Sorry but I just don't see a ton of difference in the two! One has 10 games more under his belt that the other! No guarantee with either but 10 games is pretty flimsy evidence at best.....

Not a Herman hater or a Smart proponent but just pointing out there really isn't a bunch of difference in the two.....

Both have attributes I like......
Like I said, what Head Coach experience Herman has gives me a glimpse, something to hang my hat on. Unfortunately, Smart, whom I like and would be excited about, does not give me even that.

Like I said, what Head Coach experience Herman has gives me a glimpse, something to hang my hat on. Unfortunately, Smart, whom I like and would be excited about, does not give me even that.

No problem! I understand your point! 10 games worth of experience as a HC is good for you!

As I said I don't see that as much of a track record. While I like what he has accomplished so far I also understand from his history he doesn't stay around places for very long!

Right or Wrong other schools for which we recruit against will no doubt use this against us! The pitch will be the guy likes Texas and as soon as Strong stumbles or get tired of Texas he will be gone! True or not it doesn't matter to them when they are out talking to 17 and 18 year old kids!

No problem! I understand your point! 10 games worth of experience as a HC is good for you!

As I said I don't see that as much of a track record. While I like what he has accomplished so far I also understand from his history he doesn't stay around places for very long!

Right or Wrong other schools for which we recruit against will no doubt use this against us! The pitch will be the guy likes Texas and as soon as Strong stumbles or get tired of Texas he will be gone! True or not it doesn't matter to them when they are out talking to 17 and 18 year old kids!
Like I said, Herman's Head Coach experience gives me something to get my hands arouns.

I think we understand each other. Herman's Head Coach experience gives me something to put my arms around, unlike Smart's, which is zero. Maybe if Smart's defense had not been spanked by Herman's offense last season, maybe if Smart could have spanked Herman when they matched up, that would give me something. But, it didn't happen.

As others have said, no one is a guarantee to stay at one place. Even Smart has an out in his current contract to take the Head Coach job at Georgia, his alma mater, without a buyout. Recruiters will use that against Smart. They will also say that he will go to Alabama to replace Saban when he retires. So, that's a wash.

Last edited:
That's the thing about Herman that bothers me. I want an HFC at Carolina who loves Carolina as much as Dablow appears to love Clemmie.

Sounds like Herman is your man. Apparently Herman likes to do his own demolition and tile work in the locker room when things are amiss for recruits and he talks about "love" in his post game PCs. Hire Herman and we can in a single day catch up to Dabo's circus parade. After all isn't that deep down what most Carolina fans want? Herman will be our own Garnet and Black version of Dabo.

It doesn't matter who you hire if they're not willing to put in the time and actually work. I think Spurrier proved that the last few years.

Have our current coaches cleaned out their offices yet? Let's go!

I like the idea of hiring Coach Smart and would not have a problem if we could get him and bring in a guy like Herman to run the offense and pay him more than Houston could afford.

Name me ( outside of Saban) the last good defensive head coach in the SEC? The top coaches today in the SEC are not defensive guys. FWIW

Kiffen rumors about Maryland have been squashed but that doesn't mean it didn't have some element of truth to it. If so, something could be brewing in Tusk-land. I can't see someone with an ego as big as Kiffen not wanting to be a HC somewhere. Also, if Smart is leaving, Kiffen may be looking for his next chance. Smart won't be that easy to replace and if Kiffen sees this as a transition period anyway, why not take the opportunity now?

Have the meeting with Herman and if he can't give us a quick yes then move on Smart immediately.

Reactions: NetworkX
IMO it's going to be hard for Herman to say no to Missouri if offered ? Past relationship with current AD,SEC ,familiar area.If Missouri will pay they may be tough to beat ? Get Kirby while you can !

d@mn right. Also applies to their back 7 too. Look at their play. For those who aren't on the Smart bandwagon, watch their LBs (not the ball) this week or any game these past 5-7 years. Thing of beauty.
Now go watch our LBs.
And our LBs are the best players on defense! LOL.
Yeah, LB production depends on the DLine's ability to fill gaps.

Name me ( outside of Saban) the last good defensive head coach in the SEC? The top coaches today in the SEC are not defensive guys. FWIW
It's because we're in a trend of offensive guys. Football is trend crazy.
I'd classify Les Miles as a defensive guy due to his overall philosophy to run the ball, control lines (both sides) , eat clock and play great defense. That's been their plan since he arrived - a departure from what he did at Okie State. I would say the same about Fulmer at UT during their run as a top 5 program in the country for 15 years in the 90s and early 2000s. Similiarity there of course is that both are former OL. 3 of the top 4 programs in the SEC the last 25 years are defense oriented if you look at it like that...with UF being the only 1 out of Bama, UT, UF and LSU being an offense first group. Auburn is a close 5th overall....and you could make a 50/50 argument either way depending on the timeframe in last 25 years of whether they're more heavy offense than defense.

You could make an argument that Georgia was only elite when they had those future/past NFL types at DC making things happen. Look at Clemson now. They looked like Tommy Bowden teams under b!tchbo under Venables came on staff as DC.

So, I didn't answer your question great. But, the 2 best programs in the SEC (which means 2 of the best in the nation) the last decade are both defense first programs.

Last edited:

He has given no evidence of recruiting chops. He's never been anywhere long enough to see if he can sustain recruiting. He's played this year with someone else's players really. He's less than 5 years removed from being at Iowa State....and we want to hand him the keys and say "go win in the SEC"? smh......oh man.

Reactions: Clevercock3
That's the thing about Herman that bothers me. I want an HFC at Carolina who loves Carolina as much as Dablow appears to love Clemmie.

Dabo would leave for Bama so fast he might not even get dressed before heading to the airport. What would really be ironic is USC hires Smart and then he and Dabo were the top 2 for the Bama job whenever Saban steps down, which is a real possibility, if USC hires Kirby.

Hey...if you wanna hire trendy offenses....just hire Kirby Smart and then go after Scott Frost or someone like that. Those guys are all around.

Would love to see that, and also add an Ed Orgeron (from LSU...since maybe some rumblings are happening with Miles) as DL coach.

Hey...if you wanna hire trendy offenses....just hire Kirby Smart and then go after Scott Frost or someone like that. Those guys are all around.

Would love to see that, and also add an Ed Orgeron (from LSU...since maybe some rumblings are happening with Miles) as DL coach.

Frost would be a good get for sure!

Sorry but I will give him credit for doing all the right things so far at Houston with regards to being the HC but I don't think he has a kid on the field that he recruited after arriving last year.

As well its kind of hard to judge his recruiting abilities on his record cause he hasn't stayed anywhere for very long.

With his current gig he can throw a rock out of his front door and hit a 3 star recruit across the head. Texas, Baylor, A&M can only take so many kids and with all the talent in the state of Texas landing top quality players isn't that big of an obstacle!

As I have said over and over I am neither a Herman or a Smart hater, apologist or supporter!

I don't really see a dimes worth of difference in the two if I am being fair. Smart has issues as well but the thing I think I might like the most is he does recruit some of the areas from which we will and must draw our talent!

Having relationships that are already established in areas has value! As well Smart doesn't come with a 2.5 million buyout!

You say Herman can " throw a rock out his front door and hit a 3 star"...well Kirby Smart doesn't have to leave his couch to sign a 4 or 5 star to play for Alabama . Those players line up at the back door to sign on the dotted line.

Couple things:

Those stating we should "only hire a HC". How the hell does a HC coaching vs a Houston schedule somehow trump a proven coordinator who has successfully coached vs an SEC schedule, including winning national championships?

Second, whoever implied that VT is a better job than ours is seriously misinformed. There is no comparison whatsoever, Carolina is a MUCH better job and situation than VT.

I am not an insider, no sources or anything, but I have "heard" that Kirby Smart very much does want our job.
yea, if it has to be a head coach, they may just keep Elliott. After all, he is a head coach and has 4 whole games under him. I'm all for getting whoever can recruit and coach so this team competes

You say Herman can " throw a rock out his front door and hit a 3 star"...well Kirby Smart doesn't have to leave his couch to sign a 4 or 5 star to play for Alabama . Those players line up at the back door to sign on the dotted line.

Well read the rest of the post and you will see what I say about Smart as far as recruiting as well...

Kinda unrealistic to respond to only one part of the post and not include the rest I think.......

I agree Smart is hard figure out as well on recruiting because yes they have and get great talent! How hard they have to work for it or not is certainly an issue to consider.

What I said was at least he does recruit some of the areas from where we get the majority of our talent so he does have relationships in place already!

Lie like Dabo does to recruits

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT