ADVERTISEMENT

We probably need a different head coach but

baby-bathwater.jpg

If Spurrier had just given the OC reins to Mangus earlier............ sigh...

Reactions: wcocat
Head Cheerleader is working out pretty good for the taters... Dabo is at the most the head cheerleader but he is damn good at it... the whole BYOG thing he said, although I think it is sounds like something someone who isnt all there upstairs would say... it really pumped up his team, it gave them a motto if you will, it probably impressed future recruits. Elliott is Dabo Swinney when Dabo took over the job for the Taters... The RaRa guy, the cheerleader... I dont think Elliott will be able to bring in the recruits Clemson has pulled in though... That is why I think we need someone else to take the head spot but Elliott could be an asset for a future staff... Maybe as a Strength and Conditioning type of guy and I also think he deserves more credit then people give him about our line play... Our Oline was pretty good when Lattimore was racking up yards.

In what capacity would you keep Elliott? Head cheerleader? That's been his most effective position. His OLs have regularly been one of the worst and most disappointing units on the team. Not qualified to do anything else. No way would I want any coach to keep him.
They like him because he loses pretty.

Elliott told Todd after game that they made no adjustments at halftime. Just played better 2nd half. Appreciate the effort, but still we have lost plenty of those type games in the past. We need to clean house unless Elliott can win these last three, then I think he may have a shot at job. Our program died after that Texas A&M debacle last year, IMO.

Elliott told Todd after game that they made no adjustments at halftime. Just played better 2nd half. Appreciate the effort, but still we have lost plenty of those type games in the past. We need to clean house unless Elliott can win these last three, then I think he may have a shot at job. Our program died after that Texas A&M debacle last year, IMO.
Problem is, I heard the exact same thing after the slow start against A&M. Had we started both games the way we ended them, we may have won both games. It's really hard to come back from 2 TDs down anywhere and against anyone.

They certainly deserve credit for these spirited efforts on the road but the massive inconsistencies on defense make it impossible to really evaluate the team overall. Tennessee receivers dropped an assortment of passes and they turned the ball over to keep that game close....A rather pedestrian Auburn team handled A&M last night with ease...Kyler Murray was 13 of 23 for 105yds, 0tds/3ints, 38yds rush and a QBR of 19.9. Against us ~ 20 of 28, 1/0, 156 rush and a QBR of 87.2.

I'll say this about Elliot: I will always think well of him. I think he has done a good job keeping the team together. After Spurrier left, it could have gotten REALLY ugly with this team. Things have been kept respectable and we have given ourself chances to win. We've blown those chances, but no one can say that our team isn't trying. This season has sucked out loud and I am in no way pleased with where Spurrier took this program in his last few years as a coach. And losing sucks. But I do credit Elliot for putting a team out there that has shown some fight every weekend since he got the job. I'd rather see the team that lost to Tennessee last night than the team that embarrassed itself against UGA 8 weeks ago any time.

Anyway, I'll leave it to the new coach to decide what staff he brings in and whether he keeps any of the current staff. If he decides to clean house, you won't hear me complain. But at least with Elliot, I look forward to seeing what we do in our last 3 games.

I'll say this about Elliot: I will always think well of him. I think he has done a good job keeping the team together. After Spurrier left, it could have gotten REALLY ugly with this team. Things have been kept respectable and we have given ourself chances to win. We've blown those chances, but no one can say that our team isn't trying. This season has sucked out loud and I am in no way pleased with where Spurrier took this program in his last few years as a coach. And losing sucks. But I do credit Elliot for putting a team out there that has shown some fight every weekend since he got the job. I'd rather see the team that lost to Tennessee last night than the team that embarrassed itself against UGA 8 weeks ago any time.

Anyway, I'll leave it to the new coach to decide what staff he brings in and whether he keeps any of the current staff. If he decides to clean house, you won't hear me complain. But at least with Elliot, I look forward to seeing what we do in our last 3 games.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Elliot has something that no other candidate has to offer- passion for all things USC. This team believes in him and in one another and though they lack talent in many areas they are playing with passion. If he can win out against teams (FL & Clemson) that have superior talent then he deserves serious consideration for the job. Add a top notch DC, the absolute best recruiting coordinator and overhaul the position coaches and dump more resources into recruiting.

I think about this too. A few better decisions and Less hubris and SOS would have had even more success. maybe a couple of some more sec east banners in the stadium. And we'd likely have beaten Kentucky and Missouri this year if he had resigned after Georgia. The team has improved markedly the past few weeks. Kudos to Elliott and Mangus for creativity and getting a lot more from the players.

Reactions: 92Pony
Couldn't have said it better myself. Elliot has something that no other candidate has to offer- passion for all things USC. This team believes in him and in one another and though they lack talent in many areas they are playing with passion. If he can win out against teams (FL & Clemson) that have superior talent then he deserves serious consideration for the job. Add a top notch DC, the absolute best recruiting coordinator and overhaul the position coaches and dump more resources into recruiting.
Yeah, look at how all that passion helped Muschamp at UF.

Some of you guys are a real trip. Face the fact that we need an entirely new staff. Hollywood endings usually work out only in Hollywood.

After reading all these post about how Elliot can't get it done, I guess the fans want to be star struck by another coach who is half here and half somewhere else. A coach that feels we need him, and he doesn't need us. I think we need a coach with a real passion and desire to get it done, someone who is not afraid to try new things, a real players coach who is young and has great enthusiasm. Oh wait, we already have that coach on the team, My bad

If the new HC wants to keep a few, that's his call; otherwise, don't drive by the stadium the day after the Clemson game. That area will be log jammed with U-Hauls.

Reactions: king ward
he tried that a couple of times over the last 2 years and it didn't work. It also hasn't resulted in a win the last 2 weeks.

There are actually fans that want to keep ANY of these coaches? Man and I thought you couldn't get some fans that are more stupid than clemson fans.

Last edited:
Haha that is so funny, more stupid than clemson fans huh, I am sorry TrailerParkDick for liking a guy who actually cares about The University of South Carolina, and South Carolina in general. A guy who grew up a Gamecock fan. Our team has played with more passion in the last few weeks then they have in two years.... I guess I will take Elliott's word on the not making adjustments part however even the commentators were saying that we started running off tackle and on the edge instead of right up the center's azz like we did in the first half. We probably will get a guy that is more experienced, has a bigger name, and his more qualified then what we have now but we won't get somebody that loves South Carolina more than Elliott does. The defensive staff has to go, there is no question about it but I have been impressed with the new stuff the offense has done, although it did not look great in the first half of the Tenn. game. I guess the inevitable does need to happen and we do need to clean house but Elliott is one of us, a Gamecock.

Haha that is so funny, more stupid than clemson fans huh, I am sorry TrailerParkDick for liking a guy who actually cares about The University of South Carolina, and South Carolina in general. A guy who grew up a Gamecock fan. Our team has played with more passion in the last few weeks then they have in two years.... I guess I will take Elliott's word on the not making adjustments part however even the commentators were saying that we started running off tackle and on the edge instead of right up the center's azz like we did in the first half. We probably will get a guy that is more experienced, has a bigger name, and his more qualified then what we have now but we won't get somebody that loves South Carolina more than Elliott does. The defensive staff has to go, there is no question about it but I have been impressed with the new stuff the offense has done, although it did not look great in the first half of the Tenn. game. I guess the inevitable does need to happen and we do need to clean house but Elliott is one of us, a Gamecock.
I think our issues with the run game have more to do with Elliott's OL coaching than Mangus' play calling. Our OL limits so much of what we can do. They can't get a push, they watch DL run by them to the QB. The "cha-cha" blocking scheme does not work. Mangus seems to be calling a variety of plays to keep the defense guessing, but is limited in how effective those plays can/could be because of the OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT