ADVERTISEMENT

We Should Have Stayed in the ACC

hunterscock

Mar 16, 2015
Does the money we're raking in really make a difference in the end for our programs?

Sure, we have better facilities, etc, but our men's programs aren't any better or competitive.

The football team is never ever going to win the SEC. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.

Does the money we're raking in really make a difference in the end for our programs?

Sure, we have better facilities, etc, but our men's programs aren't any better or competitive.

The football team is never ever going to win the SEC. Anyone thinking otherwise is delusional.
No need to worry about this now. The inevitable “super conference” is just around the corner. We’ll see if we are even invited to the table.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
No need to worry about this now. The inevitable “super conference” is just around the corner. We’ll see if we are even invited to the table.
Agree with that. But, I personally have no doubt we will have a seat at the table, as long as we bring something to the table, which we do.

I don't see how we would be invited to a "super conference" and what benefit that will be in the end. We're only ahead of Vandy, and not by much, in the SEC. We'll be the perennial, chalk that up as a win, in the preseason for all teams.

Yes the money makes a difference. We have to play better football. Having less resources is not a positive. Getting beaten by Clemson in the ACC would not win us a title there either.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Agree with that. But, I personally have no doubt we will have a seat at the table, as long as we bring something to the table, which we do.
What would make you have no doubt? We have a good fan base and decent endowment/booster but no relevant success and our TV market is saturated by Clempson and UGA (which we know will get in). We have no clue how many are going to get in but let’s say it’s 32 at most. How confident are you that we make the top 32 candidates? What if it’s only 24…or less?

What would make you have no doubt? We have a good fan base and decent endowment/booster but no relevant success and our TV market is saturated by Clempson and UGA (which we know will get in). We have no clue how many are going to get in but let’s say it’s 32 at most. How confident are you that we make the top 32 candidates? What if it’s only 24…or less?
We are the state university with the state capital. While we are not currently relevant in football, we have proven (2010-2013) that we have the capability of being so (IF we have a competent Head Coach). And we have done well in other sports in recent years, outside of football. And our facilities are very good, proving we are willing to spend money to make them so. Obviously, there is no guarantee. I just would not worry about it. But, that's me.

• Love

Just don't worry about it at this point. As someone else said, it's been over 50 years ago. So let's forget about what we should have done and move forward. My God, to bring up things we should have done 50 years ago is ridiculous and very unproductive.

The SEC gives us more advantages than clemson has. The right coach and breaks and there is no reason we shouldn't be able to field a team like they've had the last few years with better facilities, a bigger budget and the prestige of the SEC. We didn't catch up in facilities and all that until about 2009-ish. Our last coach claimed he'd be a tireless recruiter and then quietly decided he couldn't recruit here after a couple of years and consequently finished the last few years spending less on recruiting than most of the SEC. Clemson by comparison was propelled by the drive to beat us into being a national powerhouse, they didn't lament SC and FSU blocking them from greater success, they upped their game and both SC and FSU have hit the gutter. The only issue we have that's related to the SEC is level of competition, and that's also an opportunity. Clemson has a small alumni base and a lot of talking heads think they are tapped for the next decade from all the fundraising and major donations they got over the last few years. Clemson didn't win just because they found Dabo, they won because they bet on him, trusted him while hitting an unprecedented skid against their rival (us) and put up the farm for it, and they did that while a lot of them were still wondering if he was the guy to beat them. Clemson understood that there is no coach to end our streak without support and they stopped him with no proof he could win the big games. If we want to beat Clemson we need to get Beamer whatever he needs. If we want to win the SEC we need to back the only horse we got and if he can't get it done we need to find someone who will, but only after we've given him a real chance. Saying we should leave the SEC because it's a challenge is a loser mentality if I've ever heard one. We went from being the red headed step child of the state government, 1902 was such a big upset because we had less than half the students clemson had, to leaving the comfort of the southern conference in solidarity with clemson to the upstart ACC, to getting screwed over by their admissions standards causing most in state players to go elsewhere, to getting screwed over by Clemson not standing in solidarity with us, to falling behind on funding as an independent, to the steroid scandal, to finally being invited to the SEC, finally winning a bowl game, finally getting the athletic department in the black, to finally competing with facilities, to finally having multiple 11 win seasons, to finally having the five game streak and you want to walk back the first 30 years this program didn't have every outside factor imaginable lined up against it because of a few rough years? There is no path to the top of the mountain without the SEC because we would lose all of the advantages that could propel us when things line up for us. If you're tired if losing to Clemson why would you give up the money and conference prestige which are the ONLY two advantages we have over them?

There is no other option for us but the SEC. So, we might as well make the best of the situation.
You hit the proverbial nail on the head. We can spend all day discussing if we should have gotten out of the ACC or not but it isn't going to change the fact we did. We need to direct that energy in a positive way to improve our situation.

Think about it this way: if the BOT had any inkling that we could be left out of a future "Super Conference", does anyone honestly think we would have hired an unproven Head Coach (Beamer) to lead the football program? They would have gone out and hired a documented Head Coach winner to lead the program back to national relevance, sooner rather than later. They would not have "rolled the dice" with Beamer if there was any possibility of being left out of a potential super conference. That would be negligence by the BOT.

One other thing to keep in mind about USC in the SEC and what we bring to the table: we travel well. If nothing else, we bring money into the various SEC homes when our football team visits.

Again, I would not worry about it.

• Love
No, we shouldn't have. We were the Garnet stepchildren of the a she she.
Seriouslyi still think it's a load of crap we had to give up the '65 ACC championship because the coach paid the tuition of players that got in when the scholarship standard was only employed because the tobacco road schools knew they had better public schools in NC than we did. Then we won the ACC championship fair and square and start beating them in basketball and they pull out all the stops to screw us over so we leave, play a mostly ACC schedule and beat the tar out of their league on the gridiron consistently for the next decade. We could've built a powerhouse if they didn't screw us over but they did! So why should we share revenue with them over the SEC that has never treated us like lesser than and has never tried to sabotage our opportunities to compete?

Edit: slide typing on phone and auto-correct caused a lot of typos I didn't notice at first

Think about it this way: if the BOT had any inkling that we could be left out of a future "Super Conference", does anyone honestly think we would have hired an unproven Head Coach (Beamer) to lead the football program? They would have gone out and hired a documented Head Coach winner to lead the program back to national relevance, sooner rather than later. They would not have "rolled the dice" with Beamer if there was any possibility of being left out of a potential super conference. That would be negligence by the BOT.

One other thing to keep in mind about USC in the SEC and what we bring to the table: we travel well. If nothing else, we bring money into the various SEC homes when our football team visits.

Again, I would not worry about it.
Your last sentence is very appropriate! At this point in time it does not matter (without sounding like Hilary Clinton LOL).

Reactions: gamecock stock
Yes the money makes a difference. We have to play better football. Having less resources is not a positive. Getting beaten by Clemson in the ACC would not win us a title there either.
Clemson's not the only ACC team we lose to. Our last two non-Clemson ACC opponents have been UNC and UVA - both losses.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
We would not have finished any better than 6-6, IF we finished with 6 wins. We simply need to get consistently better as a team.

Until we have consistency in the coaching staff and program it will stay the way it is now. Clemson's staff has been together a long time and everyone is on the same page. Dabo is in his 14th year and it shows. The only way to have success is recruit and not have players learn a new system every other year. Clemson's players are so familiar with the system and each other that they can fly around without thinking. watching their players vs ours do you really think it's all coaching? their two lines man handled us Saturday night and not one coach was on the field.

I lamented the move from the ACC when it happened and I always will. But "it is what it is". Now, we have to make the most of it. The question is this, do we have the visionary leadership necessary to enact the ambitious agenda required to make us relevant, where it counts the most - in football? I think we are falling short because we are exceedingly stodgy at the top, and I mean the VERY top. Unless that changes, we'll be keeping Vanderbilt company for the rest of any of our lives. It is a dismal prospect.

We need to stand behind the man that wants to be here. Throw everything out there for him to hire proven and competent assistants. Give him 5 years. If we can't win at least 8-9 games a year then we need to re-evaluate. I feel the same about Martin. He wants to be here. We aren't a great basketball destination. Pay the man and support the man that wants to be here. Just because Clemson found lightening in a bottle for a few years doesn't mean we can. TAM, Ole Miss, UK, etc win 8-9 games a year and see to be ok. We can't all win 10-12 games a year. Having said all that I'm a few years away from walking away from the GCC and my 4 season tickets. I don't enjoy it anymore. Rap music, traffic and idiots in the stands aren't my idea of a fun day. I'd rather invite friends over and grill or smoke meat.

We need to stand behind the man that wants to be here.
Don't think because he wants to be here is a reason to stand behind him. Pay me $3 mil a year and, I'd want to be here, too. I take the attitude to cheer him on when he does well. But, don't hold back valid and reasonable criticism when it's warranted. He is not Spurrier with a resume of big time success where you can give blind trust. He is still relatively new and should be on a short leash.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

Why, when is the last time we beat an ACC team?

Having said all that I'm a few years away from walking away from the GCC and my 4 season tickets. I don't enjoy it anymore. Rap music, traffic and idiots in the stands aren't my idea of a fun day. I'd rather invite friends over and grill or smoke meat.
I hear you, brother. My mind is thinking the same as yours.

It used to be so different. So many devoted fans, win or lose. Eric Hyman ran them away when he implemented the seat license and increased the ticket prices. I understand completely why he did it, and know that it was necessary to bring our facilities up to date. But, we still pushed out a lot of good people as we embraced the dollar. Progress.

Seriouslyi still think it's a load of crap we had to give up the '65 ACC championship because the coach paid the tuition of players that got in when the scholarship standard was only employed because the tobacco road schools knew they had better public schools in NC than we did. Then we won the ACC championship fair and square and start beating them in basketball and they pull out all the stops to screw us over so we leave, play a mostly ACC schedule and beat the tar out of their league on the gridiron consistently for the next decade. We could've built a powerhouse if they didn't screw us over but they did! So why should we share revenue with them over the SEC that has never treated us like lesser than and has never tried to sabotage our opportunities to compete?

Edit: slide typing on phone and auto-correct caused a lot of typos I didn't notice at first
The only team that we had a winning record against in the ACC was Wake Forrest. Those are facts.

I believe the majority of the teams wanted us gone and the conference held the door open for us! I don’t know about you, but I don’t usually hang around where I’m not wanted!
But do you run next door to 10 goons with 9mms and baseball bats ready to beat your arse?

Don't think because he wants to be here is a reason to stand behind him. Pay me $3 mil a year and, I'd want to be here, too. I take the attitude to cheer him on when he does well. But, don't hold back valid and reasonable criticism when it's warranted. He is not Spurrier with a resume of big time success where you can give blind trust. He is still relatively new and should be on a short leash.
Exactly. I have no idea where this concept of standing behind someone who wants to be here comes from. It literally sounds cuckish.

Another area where our BOT screwed up. The lawsuit was decided about a month after we left (which is why Clemson didn't leave with us). The higher standards of the ACC ended at that point and we would have been on even recruiting ground with all the other non-ACC schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT