ADVERTISEMENT

We would be media darlings if Ray hired Dawn as men HC. Maybe at least let her turn it down for the PR points

I’ll be behind whoever it is (unless it is Pitino in which case I’ll be guarding the women - joke.) Go Gamecocks! I hope the hire is not based on race. If someone is hired because of race, it cheapens their quality as a coach and that’s not fair to them. I don’t care what their race is, just get us a good coach.

I coached against black and white, have dear friends from the business that are black and white, had players that were black and white and one Asian, and any one of them would be disappointed if their position had been given to them because of race. They all earned it.

I wouldn’t at all doubt that in today’s age of woke transgenderism, many universities would offer a successful women’s basketball coach the position of men’s head coach. I think such a university would be idealized as having the most intellectually-gifted leadership, and as such, would become the darling of media and all other liberal groups. Such a university would receive positive press and countless monetary contributions from the enlightened elites —especially Hollywood. That said, It I hope Hope it never happens — but if stupid ideas can be found somewhere, you can bet they will be found at today’s universities — or in the U.S. Congress.

Reactions: Cybercock
I wouldn’t at all doubt that in today’s age of woke transgenderism, many universities would offer a successful women’s basketball coach the position of men’s head coach. I think such a university would be idealized as having the most intellectually-gifted leadership, and as such, would become the darling of media and all other liberal groups. Such a university would receive positive press and countless monetary contributions from the enlightened elites —especially Hollywood. That said, It I hope Hope it never happens — but if stupid ideas can be found somewhere, you can bet they will be found at today’s universities — or in the U.S. Congress.
So, you think hiring men to coach women's basketball is a stupid idea? If 100% of men's basketball jobs should go to men. Shouldn't 100% of women's basketball jobs go to women. What about door #3, "the best person gets the opportunity regardless. I don't mind people taking certain positions as long as they are consistent and are not based on their particular group maintaining a perpetual advantage.

So, you think hiring men to coach women's basketball is a stupid idea? If 100% of men's basketball jobs should go to men. Shouldn't 100% of women's basketball jobs go to women. What about door #3, "the best person gets the opportunity regardless. I don't mind people taking certain positions as long as they are consistent and are not based on their particular group maintaining a perpetual advantage.
Did I say anything at all related to men coaching women’s teams? The topic is a woman being offered the men’s basketball HC position.

Did I say anything at all related to men coaching women’s teams? The topic is a woman being offered the men’s basketball HC position.
Well I am asking. Just checking for consistency. However, your response tends to indicate that you don't want to answer the question.

Reactions: DeeDave
The fact is that no matter where you are coaching or what sport you are coaching, all big time colleges want to win. Obvious. Though some would say “Except here.” Anyway, these coaches in the big conferences where the money is flowing are paid big bucks to win. With the big money comes accountability and pressure. I hope we hire someone who can win and win the right way by following the rules - no championships tainted. If it’s a woman, all good. But I just don’t think now is the time and I don’t think there is a woman out there now who can do it. JMHO

I wouldn’t at all doubt that in today’s age of woke transgenderism, many universities would offer a successful women’s basketball coach the position of men’s head coach.

Unlike you, I don't care who we hire as long as they can do a good job- man, woman, gay, straight, trans, or any combination of them all.

and if the hire competes against today's age of adult men being offended that someone who doesn't fit their notions of who happens to be an American patriot gets the job- all the better.

I will add a couple statistics for a point of reference for those thinking "Wokeism is Taking Over America", When Title IX was enacted in 1972, 90% of Women's College Basketball programs were coached by women. Today, that number has plummeted to around 40%. There are a lot of Beta Males seeing that you can make a good living stepping into the women's game while holding the females out of the male version.

I will add a couple statistics for a point of reference for those thinking "Wokeism is Taking Over America", When Title IX was enacted in 1972, 90% of Women's College Basketball programs were coached by women. Today, that number has plummeted to around 40%. There are a lot of Beta Males seeing that you can make a good living stepping into the women's game while holding the females out of the male version.

Don't see this as a sexist thing. The women's game is a watered down version of the men's game. Going from coaching a men's team to the women's team is far different than the reverse.

Reactions: Neanderthal
Don't see this as a sexist thing. The women's game is a watered down version of the men's game. Going from coaching a men's team to the women's team is far different than the reverse.
So, you are justifying the lack of female coaches in their sport on it being watered down. Okay, if you say so. All of the females across the country playing women's basketball and they can only garner 40% of the college jobs? Just laughable. My point is that if you don't think females belong in the sport of men's basketball, there are many plausible reasons for that. However, have the courtesy to stay out of their sport. At least give them that. However, when you want to see hypocrisy just follow the money.

giphy.gif
As if she could be worse than say the last 5 that were here?

So, you are justifying the lack of female coaches in their sport on it being watered down. Okay, if you say so. All of the females across the country playing women's basketball and they can only garner 40% of the college jobs? Just laughable. My point is that if you don't think females belong in the sport of men's basketball, there are many plausible reasons for that. However, have the courtesy to stay out of their sport. At least give them that. However, when you want to see hypocrisy just follow the money.

It's two different discussions.

The men's game is far different from the women's game and that can be determined quickly by the eye test.

If more men are being hired in the women's game, is that some sort of favoritism OR is ability/results rising to the top? Have men-lead women's teams had better results than woman coaches? Can't answer that one but I'm sure stats since 1972 would give you a good idea.

It's two different discussions.

The men's game is far different from the women's game and that can be determined quickly by the eye test.

If more men are being hired in the women's game, is that some sort of favoritism OR is ability/results rising to the top? Have men-lead women's teams had better results than woman coaches? Can't answer that one but I'm sure stats since 1972 would give you a good idea.
The only real difference is the physicality of the participants and the women play with a ball one inch in diameter smaller. The terminology and strategies are virtually the same and I grew up the son of a basketball coach. My Dad, who coached men for over 30 years, would laugh at your statement. He is one that says that the fundamentals in the women's game are actually better at the moment. Also, ask #1 recruit in the nation GG Jackson if Khadija Sessions coaches a watered down version of basketball. She is an assistant coach of the men's program over at Ridge View and she runs the JV program. I remember my son playing Ridge View in a JV game when he was in 9th grade. We played a good game I thought and lost to Ridge View by about 8 points. Khadijah had those kids from Ridge View running gassers Bobby Knight style after a win. So, I can imagine how Dawn runs her practices, and if that was any indication, our women's team in no way runs a watered down version of the product.

The only real difference is the physicality of the participants and the women play with a ball one inch in diameter smaller. The terminology and strategies are virtually the same and I grew up the son of a basketball coach. My Dad, who coached men for over 30 years, would laugh at your statement. He is one that says that the fundamentals in the women's game are actually better at the moment. Also, ask #1 recruit in the nation GG Jackson if Khadija Sessions coaches a watered down version of basketball. She is an assistant coach of the men's program over at Ridge View and she runs the JV program. I remember my son playing Ridge View in a JV game when he was in 9th grade. We played a good game I thought and lost to Ridge View by about 8 points. Khadijah had those kids from Ridge View running gassers Bobby Knight style after a win. So, I can imagine how Dawn runs her practices, and if that was any indication, our women's team in no way runs a watered down version of the product.
Speed and Physicality Advantage. Honestly, what else is there? I have no idea if Dawn would be a good Men's coach. However, if I was an AD, I wouldn't want to be a first-mover on that front. The men's and women's games are vastly different at that level.

Speed and Physicality Advantage. Honestly, what else is there? I have no idea if Dawn would be a good Men's coach. However, if I was an AD, I wouldn't want to be a first-mover on that front. The men's and women's games are vastly different at that level.
....and those are things Men inherently bring to the game. You don't coach that. Now, if you had a question about a woman coaching, you can question whether she can get the guys to play with the requisite toughness required for the men's game. However, with regard to strategy, there is no difference. On the flip side of this argument, I have asked some male coaches on the female side why they coach females. The main reason you get is that the guys don't want to listen and that females accept coaching better than males.

I love all the soothsayers in this thread and how they present their opinion as fact. They must be killing it in the stock market and life in general.

USCALUMNI

I have asked some male coaches on the female side why they coach females. The main reason you get is that the guys don't want to listen and that females accept coaching better than males.
That’s why I’d be afraid that a woman who hasn’t coach men before could do it.

Clearly fewer women want to coach men than men wanting to coach women. It's no surprise the numbers reflect that. And like it or not, its been my experience that more women would rather have a male coach than a female. Personally, I've known a lot of women athletes and that's almost always been the case. From what I hear, one would think there are far more evil women coaches out there than males. Lol.
So expecting gender equality when it comes to hiring seems unrealistic imo and I'm not convinced that it would even be a good thing.

....and those are things Men inherently bring to the game. You don't coach that. Now, if you had a question about a woman coaching, you can question whether she can get the guys to play with the requisite toughness required for the men's game. However, with regard to strategy, there is no difference. On the flip side of this argument, I have asked some male coaches on the female side why they coach females. The main reason you get is that the guys don't want to listen and that females accept coaching better than males.

You could be right. It's anyone's guess. What we do know it that it's 2022 and the women's movement has been in full gear for decades. Corporations and schools are even allowing women and men to identify as cats and wear a tail. Yet there aren't any female coaches who have made it the men's game? You know there's a clear subset of the population who would love to see/write about that subject ad nauseam. IMO, that points to ability vs. any exclusionary issue, but who knows?

I have no idea if Dawn would be a good Men's coach. However, if I was an AD, I wouldn't want to be a first-mover on that front.

I think an AD doing it would be a good idea - when it happens- and it will happen.

In 20 years, people will be making fun of the folks who thought it was a bad idea. Of course by then, no one will admit they thought it was anything but a great idea.

Reactions: uscalumni
Clearly fewer women want to coach men than men wanting to coach women. It's no surprise the numbers reflect that.

That's unknowable when they haven't been given a chance. But I would disagree with you.

I think a coach wants to coach. Many of those women coaches would love to have the resources dedicated to men's teams and the salaries that go with them for their staffs.

Yeah, how terrible- letting people do what they want. It's just awful. LOL
Do you believe these people are mentally sane Dave? Would you want an employee to come to you one day and request to have a litter box in their office? Luckily, in SC you can do something about it. However, that's not true in many states.

Reactions: Cybercock
I think an AD doing it would be a good idea - when it happens- and it will happen.

In 20 years, people will be making fun of the folks who thought it was a bad idea. Of course by then, no one will admit they thought it was anything but a great idea.
IMO, it's a dymanic that would ultimately lead to all kinds of legal issues. The mind of an 18-20 year olds is still maturing - especially males. I played hoops through high school as I'm sure others did on this forum. Locker room incidents were not uncommon . The head coach was typically involved either trying to keep the peace or players had issues with the coach himself.

Unlike you, I don't care who we hire as long as they can do a good job- man, woman, gay, straight, trans, or any combination of them all.

and if the hire competes against today's age of adult men being offended that someone who doesn't fit their notions of who happens to be an American patriot gets the job- all the better.
You think top MALE recruits or any male recruits will want to play college ball for a female coach?
Stupidity!

The issue I have, as the title of this thread states" Let her turn it down for PR points", is using this opportunity for a PR stunt.
Just how would one approach this to DS "Hey DS, Listen I want to publicly offer you the mens BB coaching vacancy, but I need you to turn it down. Think of all the free publicity we both get, later on we can look back and have a few laughs. Wait, why are you giving me the death stare".

Last edited:
Do you believe these people are mentally sane Dave? Would you want an employee to come to you one day and request to have a litter box in their office? Luckily, in SC you can do something about it. However, that's not true in many states.

I haven't encountered anyone wanting a litter box. LOL. I have read about people spreading nutty conspiracy theories about them.

IMO, it's a dymanic that would ultimately lead to all kinds of legal issues. The mind of an 18-20 year olds is still maturing - especially males. I played hoops through high school as I'm sure others did on this forum. Locker room incidents were not uncommon . The head coach was typically involved either trying to keep the peace or players had issues with the coach himself.

It's about respecting the coach and the rules. If the administration is behind the coach and makes it clear then those violating the rules aren't on the team.

You think top MALE recruits or any male recruits will want to play college ball for a female coach?
Stupidity!

Sure- if the coach is a good coach or seen as a good coach.

I have 2 college students and a middle school student. They don't care about this stuff as much as adults do. In fact, many don't care about it at all.

That's why I maintain this is a generational thing. In 20 years, people will be openly laughing at the idea that a woman coach can't succeed or won't be accepted coaching a men's team and those that now complain about the idea will deny ever thinking any different.

Reactions: adcoop
It's about respecting the coach and the rules. If the administration is behind the coach and makes it clear then those violating the rules aren't on the team.
You don't believe every school in the country does this? It's about competition and testosterone flying around in the moment. Ask Juwan Howard.

I haven't encountered anyone wanting a litter box. LOL. I have read about people spreading nutty conspiracy theories about them.

There's a girl at my niece's school who identifies as a cat and wears three tails. She is in high school. Her mom is bonkers.

This lawsuit filed by former Google engineer James Damore claims that Google allowed an employee that identifies as a “yellow-scaled wingless dragonkin” give a talk on living as a “plural being.”

https://www.scribd.com/document/368...ogle-Class-Action-Lawsuit#download&from_embed

Look at the college men’s team records around the country at all levels. There are obviously thousands of men who can’t coach men.
And women who can’t coach women. Could say this for most professions. Some folks just aren’t good at what they do.

That's unknowable when they haven't been given a chance. But I would disagree with you.

I think a coach wants to coach. Many of those women coaches would love to have the resources dedicated to men's teams and the salaries that go with them for their staffs.
Has anyone asked for a chance? I doubt there have been more than a handful all time. At the same time, it's a known that there is a substantial amount of men that would like to coach women. Let's say there at 500 vacant coaching jobs in a women's league and there are as many men interested as women. But when it's all said and done, the women hired outnumber the men hired 5-1. Who is being discriminated against?
That aside tho, my point is this cant be looked at in numbers only. There are many reasons why the numbers can be skewed.

Stupidity!
Like I said, Staley needs to stay where she is, but, yes, Staley would be able to attract a top male recruit a two off the bat IMO with her Philadelphia roots and street-cred in the basketball community. Further, there would be a whole lot of people invested in her success if she decided to do something like that if only to make guys like you eat your words.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT