ADVERTISEMENT

We would be media darlings if Ray hired Dawn as men HC. Maybe at least let her turn it down for the PR points

Look at the college men’s team records around the country at all levels. There are obviously thousands of men who can’t coach men.

Last time I checked every game has a winner and a loser. For every 20 win team there is most likely a 20 loss team.
Exactly how the coaching carousel works and how it creates millionaires on the backs of those that overvalue the importance of winning a game.

Reactions: Neanderthal
Last time I checked every game has a winner and a loser. For every 20 win team there is most likely a 20 loss team.
Exactly how the coaching carousel works and how it creates millionaires on the backs of those that overvalue the importance of winning a game.
I don't get all of this thought that only men can understand or coach the physicality of the men's game when we have men that never played coaching all the time. Where did Frank Martin play? I know he didn't play at FIU and I haven't seen any information to indicate that he even played in high school. Where did Will Wade play? He was the manager at Clemson. Bruce Pearl? No record of him playing anywhere. Sometimes, we just make it up as we go along to justify how we want to think. The only female I know right now that has openly expressed an interest for men's jobs is Becky Hammon. However, if a female wants to pay their dues by taking a lower level male program that has been struggling, I don't see why not. I don't think anyone on here is saying just give a female a job. However, I am never going to be a proponent of limiting anyone because who is to say I won't be next on the list of being limited based of a stereotype in someone's head.

Not in men's basketball. That's a lot different than winning with stacked women's teams in less competitive leagues.
Oh please! You have no empirical proof that she couldn't win with men the same as women. As others have noted then you would need to explain how come she dominates the teams coached by men that her teams play?

If what she is doing with the women's team is so easy to do how come everyone else isn't doing the same?

Everyone is free to feel however they wish but forget she is a woman and tell me why she wouldn't make a good men's bb coach.

The thing for me is given what she has done and done it on a consistent basis I think she deserves to be a serious candidate. If it ends up not working out its not like we haven't take bigger risk on people like HORN and others.

I'm fine with anyone wanting to talk about her abilities as a coach or lack thereof however attempting to make an argument that men can't coach women and vice versa is completely absurd.

Oh please! You have no empirical proof that she couldn't win with men the same as women. As others have noted then you would need to explain how come she dominates the teams coached by men that her teams play?

If what she is doing with the women's team is so easy to do how come everyone else isn't doing the same?

Everyone is free to feel however they wish but forget she is a woman and tell me why she wouldn't make a good men's bb coach.

The thing for me is given what she has done and done it on a consistent basis I think she deserves to be a serious candidate. If it ends up not working out its not like we haven't take bigger risk on people like HORN and others.

I'm fine with anyone wanting to talk about her abilities as a coach or lack thereof however attempting to make an argument that men can't coach women and vice versa is completely absurd.

"empirical proof" lol

Nothing other than that there have been/are better women's coaches in women's basketball, and none have transitioned over and been successful coaching men. If it wasn't "absurd", somebody would have figured that out by now and we would have at least one by now. But we don't.

Being successful in women's basketball is in NO WAY indicates that someone would be success in men's basketball. Other than have a ball and hoop, it's an entirely different game. I know the wokester love to do shit because it's historic and feels good, but NO.

Reactions: Cybercock
Being successful in women's basketball is in NO WAY indicates that someone would be success in men's basketball. Other than have a ball and hoop, it's an entirely different game.
I’ll agree with that, too. Another big thing is the difference in the psyche/mindset/physical of men and women. Been hundreds of books written about that.

"empirical proof" lol

Nothing other than that there have been/are better women's coaches in women's basketball, and none have transitioned over and been successful coaching men. If it wasn't "absurd", somebody would have figured that out by now and we would have at least one by now. But we don't.

Being successful in women's basketball is in NO WAY indicates that someone would be success in men's basketball. Other than have a ball and hoop, it's an entirely different game. I know the wokester love to do shit because it's historic and feels good, but NO.
There hasn't been anyone better in womens bb in the last 10 years or more than Dawn. Just because no one has ever tried or wanted to be a HC of a men's team doesn't mean anything.

I appreciate your effort to down play the caliber of coach that she is and what she has built but her results speak for her.

I'd agree that being successful in one doesn't mean you will be in the other. But we also can't make a rational argument that they wouldn't be besides just the gender factor which has been hacked around enough. I'd disagree with you that other than a ball and hoop its entirely different. If that were the case explain how the men don't do better coaching female teams? I mean if its a ball and a hoop for one then it would be for the other.

I'm not "woke" about anything I'm only looking for a valid logical reason beyond her gender that she wouldn't be just as good as any other candidate we are likely to get. You going to provide some guarantee that any man hired will do better than she would?

Last edited:
Clearly fewer women want to coach men than men wanting to coach women. It's no surprise the numbers reflect that. And like it or not, its been my experience that more women would rather have a male coach than a female. Personally, I've known a lot of women athletes and that's almost always been the case. From what I hear, one would think there are far more evil women coaches out there than males. Lol.
So expecting gender equality when it comes to hiring seems unrealistic imo and I'm not convinced that it would even be a good thing.
Have you seen the practice squad that our WBB team plays against? All men.

If I had to guess, maybe she has tryouts within the student body? Surely she doesnt recruit for those spots. Anyway, if I was a former HS player/USC student, I'd be all over that too. Pretty cool gig.

S
There hasn't been anyone better in womens bb in the last 10 years or more than Dawn. Just because no one has ever tried or wanted to be a HC of a men's team doesn't mean anything.

I appreciate your effort to down play the caliber of coach that she is and what she has built but her results speak for her.

I'd agree that being successful in one doesn't mean you will be in the other. But we also can't make a rational argument that they wouldn't be besides just the gender factor which has been hacked around enough. I'd disagree with you that other than a ball and hoop its entirely different. If that were the case explain how the men don't do better coaching female teams? I mean if its a ball and a hoop for one then it would be for the other.

I'm not "woke" about anything I'm only looking for a valid logical reason beyond her gender that she wouldn't be just as good as any other candidate we are likely to get. You going to provide some guarantee that any man hired will do better than she would?

I'm not "downplaying" anybody. You are wrong. Geno has been better. 4 titles in a row speaks for itself. Mulkey has won 2 titles in the last ten years. Not sure why people try to overhype Staley. Actually, I do have a guess why people try to do that. But, she a great coach that has a NC, like many others, and the potential to win a lot more, maybe as soon as this year. But nobody has been better is a lie. Period. Has nothing to do with "downplaying". Just the truth.

And people have given you valid reasons, you just don't agree with them. Other than the most basic basics, how the game is played is very different. She is competitive now because she pulls in top 3 recruiting classes in a league that ins't very competitive and doesn't have a lot of parity. She would be in the opposite situation in the men's league. She would struggle to recruit, and the competition would be much tougher.

And yes, a lot of that has to do with the fact that she is a woman. Not what you want to hear in your mythical reality that men and women are the same animal and interchangeable, but that's the truth in the real world.

Reactions: bucketdad
She would struggle to recruit,

and the competition would be much tougher.

Unknowable. Your guess that male recruits wouldn't want to play for a female coach is only that - a guess. I don't think it would matter a hill of beans to most all recruits- especially after about 2-3 weeks of the announcement of a female as the head coach.

As the dad of college student, and a student in high school that is taking 2 college classes, they don't care about these distinctions that some folks on the board seem to care about. Just doesn't register with them just like most of them don't care about other societal divisions (race, sexual orientation, etc) that seem to be a really big deal to older people.

The competition would be tougher. That's what is intriguing about it.

Unknowable. Your guess that male recruits wouldn't want to play for a female coach is only that - a guess. I don't think it would matter a hill of beans to most all recruits- especially after about 2-3 weeks of the announcement of a female as the head coach.

It's worse than a guess because I can guarantee that at least 80% of the kids that are good enough to be recruited now think nothing like the middle-aged men on this board. In women's basketball, the major programs can hold onto their talent longer because I think the females don't become draft eligible into the WNBA until after their junior year. So, women's basketball now is more like men's basketball in the 70's and 80's, but men don't compete any harder. I would make a guess that most of the people on here have never played against a female that is really good. You put a lot of guys out there against these females that play on a high level and they will be like that "Martin" episode when Martin and his friends tried to play the female Olympic team.

Last edited:

As the dad of college student, and a student in high school that is taking 2 college classes, they don't care about these distinctions that some folks on the board seem to care about. Just doesn't register with them just like most of them don't care about other societal divisions (race, sexual orientation, etc) that seem to be a really big deal to older people.

All the kids of wokesters that I know are hypersensitive to any little thing that is different t about somebody. Don’t believe it doesn’t register with them for a second unless they live under a rock.

Same with most women’s teams in the country. Pat Summit may have started that trend decades ago. Don’t really know, don’t care. Irrelevant.

It's worse than a guess because I can guarantee that at least 80% of the kids that are good enough to be recruited now think nothing like the middle-aged men on this board. In women's basketball, the major programs can hold onto their talent longer because I think the females don't become draft eligible into the WNBA until after their junior year. So, women's basketball now is more like men's basketball in the 70's and 80's, but men don't compete any harder. I would make a guess that most of the people on here have never played against a female that is really good. You put a lot of guys out there against these females that play on a high level and they will be like that "Martin" episode when Martin and his friends tried to play the female Olympic team.
You don't feel the men's game has evolved since the 80s? They now have 6'9' guards who shoot high % 3s from 35-38 feet and handle the ball like Jerry West.

What do you believe would happen if our men's team played the women's?

You don't feel the men's game has evolved since the 80s? They now have 6'9' guards who shoot high % 3s from 35-38 feet and handle the ball like Jerry West.

How soon we forget Earvin Johnson, Jr......aka "Magic."

Reactions: PaleoCock

In comparing the men's college game, I was talking about the ability to retain talent in college. I wasn't referring to gameplay at all. The argument about who would win a men's against women's game is dumb. The women obviously don't have the physicality to compete after they are about 11 or 12 years years old. However, their ability to think the game and strategize is no different than the men. I have been one that have said that the women should not play on a 10 foot rim. However, even women don't want to hear that. I think lowering the rim for the women a foot would bring the athleticism to their game that men are used to and would expand their game to more people. You wouldn't see all the missed finishes at the rim that turn a lot of men off. I coached a lot of youth ball when my son was young and I have seen a couple of very good 10-11 year old girls drop (term for crossing someone up and making them fall) guys and have the boys scared to guard them in fear of embarrassment though.

Reactions: Thirdcatgy
They already have a smaller ball, so I doubt they’d want to lower the rim. They’d be a problem on all courts - changing basket heights between games, etc. The women want to play like the men and that’s sad because inside of following and emulating the trends of the men’s game I think they’d could do much better.

In comparing the men's college game, I was talking about the ability to retain talent in college. I wasn't referring to gameplay at all. The argument about who would win a men's against women's game is dumb. The women obviously don't have the physicality to compete after they are about 11 or 12 years years old. However, their ability to think the game and strategize is no different than the men. I have been one that have said that the women should not play on a 10 foot rim. However, even women don't want to hear that. I think lowering the rim for the women a foot would bring the athleticism to their game that men are used to and would expand their game to more people. You wouldn't see all the missed finishes at the rim that turn a lot of men off. I coached a lot of youth ball when my son was young and I have seen a couple of very good 10-11 year old girls drop (term for crossing someone up and making them fall) guys and have the boys scared to guard them in fear of embarrassment though.

Ah. Maybe so. I'm glad Dawn is right where she is though.

In other news, transgender Lia Thomas just won the NCAA Women's Swimming National Championship. That doesn't come across as fair. Did someone monitor if she took her full prescription of testosterone blockers that week? They try to test everything else.

In other news, transgender Lia Thomas just won the NCAA Women's Swimming National Championship. That doesn't come across as fair. Did someone monitor if she took her full prescription of testosterone blockers that week? They try to test everything else.

No worries. According to DeeDave, the kids these days don't even notice gender.

image-its-pat-movie-07.jpg

Unlike you, I don't care who we hire as long as they can do a good job- man, woman, gay, straight, trans, or any combination of them all.

and if the hire competes against today's age of adult men being offended that someone who doesn't fit their notions of who happens to be an American patriot gets the job- all the better.
Don’t they teach reading comprehension in school’s anymore? The point of my words were to express the liberal world’s reaction to such an action — which by the way is the topic of the thread. I shouldn’t have to explain this stuff to supposedly educated people on this board.

Don’t they teach reading comprehension in school’s anymore? The point of my words were to express the liberal world’s reaction to such an action — which by the way is the topic of the thread. I shouldn’t have to explain this stuff to supposedly educated people on this board.

Key word. "Supposedly"

She should have right of first refusal. We owe it to her and to the program. I can’t understand how people don’t consider USC a basketball school, when Dawn has proven over and over that it can be a great basketball school.

If she doesn’t want the men’s job, she should at least be asked to be the lead recruiter and evaluator for hiring a new coach. She has proven what can be done here. She can tell and exhibit the story better than everyone. I want her as AD for Basketball Operations, making decisions for Ray.

There has to be a strong connection between Dawn and the next coach, so she should use her network and success story to draw talent here that can follow her leadership.

We are a #1 ranked, national championship BASKETBALL school. Not just women’s basketball. Basketball period. We need to act like it. Stop diminishing what USC can be in basketball. Leverage proven success. It’s not a lousy place to coach. Ask Dawn.
Hate to burst your bubble but 98% of sports fans couldn’t care less about WBB. Ask anyone you know to name 2 WNBA teams. I dare you…

I really hope she leaves to coach a men’s team somewhere else, leaving gamecock men’s and women’s basketball floundering under whatever incarnation of Steve Newton or Darrin Horn the sexist fans will applaud.

I would hate to lose her, because she’s the best, and it would make USC look so utterly backwards and just plain stupid. But it would be worth watching all of the mouth breathers of SC suffer the long-standing result.

I really hope she leaves to coach a men’s team somewhere else, leaving gamecock men’s and women’s basketball floundering under whatever incarnation of Steve Newton or Darrin Horn the sexist fans will applaud.

I would hate to lose her, because she’s the best, and it would make USC look so utterly backwards and just plain stupid. But it would be worth watching all of the mouth breathers of SC suffer the long-standing result.

Sexist fans? Really? That's a new one.

We were fortunate not to lose her to Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT