ADVERTISEMENT

*** Wednesday practice insider (Overall team progress, Shi Smith, Keisean Nixon)

W

Wes Mitchell

** The biggest difference in the team when comparing now to this time last year is probably the overall team speed and efficiency in which the team practices.

With a year under their belts in this scheme, and the entire coaching staff back, these guys know what is expected of them. There was far less complaining, I was told, this summer and that's carried over into fall practice.

This time last year, the first few practices were frankly a mess with so many moving parts that most of the time did not move in unison and an unsettled quarterback situation. With Jake Bentley at the helm and most of his weapons back, those guys have hit the ground running. I was told Tuesday's practice was a particularly good one for the passing game. It's just more crisp there and Bentley and all of his receivers have clearly put in the work.

Put simply, things just simply "look" better than they did a year go. It looks more like an SEC team. The guys on the lines of scrimmage are also collectively in far better shape than then.

** In speaking to multiple people within the program, the name that is almost always mentioned quickly is freshman wide receiver Shi Smith. Smith has been described to me as being "electric" and his football speed and quickness have made him a common target for the QBs in the first few days. The two knowns at wide receiver - Deebo Samuel and Bryan Edwards - look great too, but Smith has certainly made his presence felt as a newcomer. He's a playmaker and could factor into the return game as well.

** JUCO transfer defensive back Keisean Nixon made his much-anticipated debut in Wednesday's practice as far as the workouts open to the media go, but I'm told he was actually cleared and able to get in some work in Tuesday's practice (closed to media) too. That means Nixon only missed the one day of work.

Nixon was in a yellow no-contact jersey, but I've confirmed there's no injury. With Nixon a day behind his teammates, he still has to go through the acclimation period and can't wear any pads until tomorrow whereas his teammates were already in shoulder pads Wednesday.

Nixon is listed at 193 pounds but as I've said before, actually checks in at 203 pounds and looks great physically. I've got high expectations for him. He's expected to compete at both safety and nickel to start and I'd be surprised if he's not a major factor at one or the other.

** Freshman cornerback Tavyn Jackson was very active the first two practices. He's got a chance to help.

598206b0154dc-keisean%20nixon.jpg

South Carolina JUCO transfer Keisean Nixon at Gamecocks practice on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News