ADVERTISEMENT

We're supposed to be some kind of great pitching team?

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

3 whole games..
not even 3 full games! My cup is still half-full, even after all the crap I've read on GCentral the past 3+ months.

Originally posted by preebs2001:

3 whole games..
not even 3 full games! My cup is still half-full, even after all the crap I've read on GCentral the past 3+ months.
yep, this board has gotten stupid, at least the loud minority

Just interested...... Other than Wynkoop not being able to stay effective after 4 innings who has looked bad? Crowe and Widener look dominant!

Originally posted by winloseortie:
Just interested...... Other than Wynkoop not being able to stay effective after 4 innings who has looked bad? Crowe and Widener look dominant!
Gotta love Widener's ability to get ahead in the count right now. Looking very dominant

Originally posted by huttokm:
Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
I'm just not seeing that.
Are you kidding me? Not even 3 full games in and you make the observation? Un-friggin-believable!
Yes, exactly. I am saying I am saying in 3 full games... and counting I am not seeing the "great" pitching team this team was made out to be. DAMN STRAGIHT. I would have said so yesterday I wasn't seeing it either. I didn't know there was supposed to be a "wait for it" period for the first few weeks. Good thing we starting hitting the ball.
This post was edited on 2/14 7:29 PM by ReadR00ster

gave up 4 runs in last 2 wins to a very good team ..3 games into the season and some want to complain....amazing

This post was edited on 2/14 7:28 PM by bosoxcock

gave up 4 runs in last 2 wins to a very good team ..3 games into the season and some want to complain....amazing

This post was edited on 2/14 7:28 PM by bosoxcock
We pitched "Well the last two games." not GREAT, and it was a three game series. They got a lot of hits against us and they were even making us sweat in the last inning of this game.

This post was edited on 2/14 7:33 PM by ReadR00ster

the fact is that we had numerous hysterical, idiotic posts like these during both of our CWS Championship seasons

some who post here are simply so self absorbed that they truly believe that others who post here value their opinions

Are you for real? You have throw 50 innings, bare minimum, before you start to know anything about a staff. Probably need at least a hundred before you start to draw conclusions. Baseball is a game where so many weird things can happen, you HAVE to have a big sample size to be able to draw conclusions. That's just how it is. Why do you think they play so many games?

We had people midway thru the 2010 and 2011 baseball season that stated USC was in trouble, some just don't understand baseball...

Baseball ...a marathon, not a sprint.

I don't even want to know what Read said,he's one of my ignore list members but by the way you all are acting it had to be one of his ALWAYS negative post he is famous for

negative or ignorant... not sure how to describe some of the post I see sometimes.

O dont express any opinion that in any way criticises any aspect of this team even if it meant to create conversation. You will immediately be called names and labeled as nuts. Everyone here is a baseball expert except those that dont agree the our baseball team walks on water.

Originally posted by Cybercock:
O dont express any opinion that in any way criticises any aspect of this team even if it meant to create conversation. You will immediately be called names and labeled as nuts. Everyone here is a baseball expert except those that dont agree the our baseball team walks on water.
That's the thing, though: without a larger sample size, it's impossible to praise or criticize any aspect of a team. We've only played 27 innings. You have to play at least three or four times that before you can say how good or bad a team is. It's not a matter of being a baseball expert, it's a matter of statistics and sample size. That's just how baseball works. It's a freaky game where freaky shit happens.

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:

That's the thing, though: without a larger sample size, it's impossible to praise or criticize any aspect of a team. We've only played 27 innings. You have to play at least three or four times that before you can say how good or bad a team is. It's not a matter of being a baseball expert, it's a matter of statistics and sample size. That's just how baseball works. It's a freaky game where freaky shit happens.
That was exactly my point, but I guess once someone makes a statement as the OP did, they don't want anyone to disagree, even if the counterpoint is as valid as yours! There just isn't a big enough sample size to make the assumption about the pitching! O well, if hisi the way it's going to be the rest of the year, it will be a long one!

It's the same Debbie downers no matter the sport. Some people just love complaining and being miserable

Get real. We had 2 MAGICAL years...hopefully we will have one or two again...but we certainly won't have them every year. Be glad for the wins that we do get! Enjoy the team...don't expect perfection.

Originally posted by nikolas22:
Get real. We had 2 MAGICAL years...hopefully we will have one or two again...but we certainly won't have them every year. Be glad for the wins that we do get! Enjoy the team...don't expect perfection.
How about 3 magical years? We made it to the final in 2012

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:
Agree, the same people will declare a team "terrible" after 1quarter of football. And you know who you are. Lol

"Sophomore pitcher Wil Crowe, who earned the win in game one after striking out a career-high 10 batters, said he hoped to set the tone for the day with his performance on the mound.

Making use of all four pitches in his arsenal, Crowe surrendered just one run on four hits and three walks in 6 1/3 innings pitched. His teammates got the message, Holbrook said.

"That was a Friday night performance. That was impressive," Holbrook said, adding that Crowe put the team on his back. "There was an air of 'I'm not going to let us lose today.'"

Sophomore reliever Taylor Widener was just as dominant in the second game. Widener came on with one out in the seventh inning and, flashing a fastball that ran in the low 90s, sat down the next six batters he faced, five of them on strikeouts.

Widener walked the next three batters he faced as he went through the top of the lineup, but he recovered to get two straight outs to close out the game and earn his first save of the season. He tied his career high with six strikeouts."

Crowe's pitching WAS GREAT. There is no doubting that. Stellar outing, and he has been a dominant pitcher his whole career. Widener is going to continue our tradition of having a dominant closer. He walked a couple guys in the last inning... But did anybody really "sweat" this game? I think that is a dramatic over exaggeration.. We allowed 4 hits in one game and 3 in the other today. YES SIR, That is some damn good pitching!

Sample size? What stupidity is prompting people to talk about sample size? We are ranked #5 in the country because of our pitching staff is supposed to be dominant and no other reason. They didn't pitch like they are dominant. 2 out of 3 and against C of C is a good result, but that pitching did no live up to our reputation and what we are trying to do. End of Story. Good enough I guess really is good enough, so another regional loss is good enough in Columbia South Carolina.

Sample size? What stupidity is prompting people to talk about sample size? We are ranked #5 in the country because of our pitching staff is supposed to be dominant and no other reason. They didn't pitch like they are dominant. 2 out of 3 and against C of C is a good result, but that pitching did no live up to our reputation and what we are trying to do. End of Story. Good enough I guess really is good enough, so another regional loss is good enough in Columbia South Carolina.
You do realize that CofC ranked higher than clempson ?

don't you realize its baseball...where teams with great pitching can lose on any given day to a lesser team...The no.1 team in the country, Vanderbilt, last years national champions give up 7 runs today to.....Santa Clara

I should no better than to debate your opinions, one day I will learn

don't you realize its baseball...where teams with great pitching can lose on any given day to a lesser team...The no.1 team in the country, Vanderbilt, last years national champions give up 7 runs today to.....Santa Clara

I realize were being promoted as some great pitching staff, and there is no basis for that. I am not complaining about our pithing staff. They are fine. I just don't think the expectations that they didn't actually earn are accurate. We did lose our Ace and our closer from last year? Don't you think that is a problem? Those were two really good pitchers that SOMEONE is going to have make up for.

every team loses players to graduation, you cant live and die with every game in baseball.

The year SC won back to back N.C.'s they lost important players from the 2009 and 2010 seasons

every team loses players to graduation, you cant live and die with every game in baseball.

The year SC won back to back N.C.'s they lost important players from the 2009 and 2010 seasons
I don't live and die with every game. I just said our pitching hasn't been as good as it's been made out to be. You can't live and die with every post someone makes that you don't care for. Our Friday Ace got ran out of the ball park. Our Saturday guy was awesome but our 3rd starter we aren't sure about was really shakey. We need to pitch better than this. Maybe we will, maybe we won't. Who knows, but we are definitely not ranked number #5 in the country for our offense.

This post was edited on 2/15 12:07 AM by ReadR00ster

Roth and Price are gone. Those guys were once-in-a-lifetime good as far as college pitching goes. We'd be lucky to ever have a collection of ballers like that again. That said, lower your expectations just a little. This pitching staff has a chance to be pretty doggone good.

If Haswell doesn't come in and walk two batters in the 6th then Reagan would have only given 2 runs on the day instead of 3. A wind aided home run on a warning track fly in the first. Reagan settled down and pitched fine after that with 4 K's and only 1 walk. Also on Friday night C of C had 14 hits, but they they were all singles, that is going to happen. Vandy couldn't hold a late lead in game 2 of their series against Santa Clara with what has been labeled the best pitching staff in the country. They also had to go 10 innings in game 3 before winning. It's baseball even the best pitchers get roughed up sometimes.

Dumbest post of the year so far. I know 2015 is just getting started, but you are alone in first place.

Congratulations.

This post was edited on 2/15 8:22 AM by Mr Bird

I realize were being promoted as some great pitching staff, and there is no basis for that. I am not complaining about our pithing staff. They are fine. I just don't think the expectations that they didn't actually earn are accurate. We did lose our Ace and our closer from last year? Don't you think that is a problem? Those were two really good pitchers that SOMEONE is going to have make up for.
That's exactly what you are doing, as well as saying people are exuding "stupidity" because some of us want to see more than 3 games before making such a bold statement as you. by the way, I don't think I have seen anywhere that stated our staff was "going to be great"! "Has the POTENTIAL to be very good" has been used, but again, we are only 3 games in.

Originally posted by winloseortie:
I agree with this!

Yes, exactly. I am saying I am saying in 3 full games... and counting I am not seeing the "great" pitching team this team was made out to be. DAMN STRAGIHT. I would have said so yesterday I wasn't seeing it either. I didn't know there was supposed to be a "wait for it" period for the first few weeks. Good thing we starting hitting the ball.

This post was edited on 2/14 7:29 PM by ReadR00ster
ReadROOster, please post a link to where you read. " We're supposed to be some kind of great pitching team"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT