ADVERTISEMENT

We're supposed to be some kind of great pitching team?

so far we have a 2.75 team era. Pretty good

This post was edited on 2/18 12:28 PM by bwcroft

Originally posted by bwcroft:
so far we have a 2.75 team era. Pretty good

This post was edited on 2/18 12:28 PM by bwcroft
Okay, so a pretty good ERA and a pretty bad WHIP against to likes of Charleston and Furman ≠ elite pitching. I think we are capable of of better. So let's work out the kinks before we have to play some real competition.

Originally posted by fowlfan:
Roth and Price are gone. Those guys were once-in-a-lifetime good as far as college pitching goes. We'd be lucky to ever have a collection of ballers like that again. That said, lower your expectations just a little. This pitching staff has a chance to be pretty doggone good.
LSU and Vanderbilt and many other SEC teams have at least 2 dominant starting pitchers every year, and we need to as well. We USED TO. I like what I saw out of Crowe, Fiori, and Schimdt. Everyone else looked shaky.

Originally posted by SMwilly brice:
Originally posted by ReadR00ster:
I'm just not seeing that.

Yes, exactly. I am saying I am saying in 3 full games... and counting I am not seeing the "great" pitching team this team was made out to be. DAMN STRAGIHT. I would have said so yesterday I wasn't seeing it either. I didn't know there was supposed to be a "wait for it" period for the first few weeks. Good thing we starting hitting the ball.

This post was edited on 2/14 7:29 PM by ReadR00ster
ReadROOster, please post a link to where you read. " We're supposed to be some kind of great pitching team"
I don't know where it was I am not going to go looking for it. It was an article previewing a bunch of teams and gave them grades in certain areas, and our starting pitching and bullpen got an A rating.

Originally posted by nikolas22:
Get real. We had 2 MAGICAL years...hopefully we will have one or two again...but we certainly won't have them every year. Be glad for the wins that we do get! Enjoy the team...don't expect perfection.
We're an elite program, not some team that got lucky for a couple of years.

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:
Are you for real? You have throw 50 innings, bare minimum, before you start to know anything about a staff. Probably need at least a hundred before you start to draw conclusions. Baseball is a game where so many weird things can happen, you HAVE to have a big sample size to be able to draw conclusions. That's just how it is. Why do you think they play so many games?
That sounds like some rule you made up. Why 50 innings? Seems an arbitrary number. I don't know where you get that BS from. We've played 4 games, I've made observations on how we played we've played in those 4 games and compared to how we are expected to play. It's not some kind of final indictment on the team. Either it's a slow start or maybe our pitching is overrated we'll have to find out.

Originally posted by FORKCOCK:
If you're a SUNSHINE PUMPER, ReadRooster is not you're cup of tea. If Carolina wins, he WON'T BE A CHEEARLEADER AND WILL JUDGE THE TEAM ON QUALITY OF PLAY AND NOT THE RESULT.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Fixed it for you.

This post was edited on 2/18 1:10 PM by ReadR00ster

Clearly this thread is state your opinion, and the original poster will have an answer for anything you say....

How do you judge a team's pitching staff in FOUR GAMES?!?! This is ridiculous. They played a very good Charleston team. A team that made it to a Super Regional last year. That doesn't happen by luck or accident.

Have you not seen Roth, Price, Montgomery ever have a bad game pitching? Look back at the statistics and see for yourself...
Weather also has a lot to do with pitching. If you ever pitched, which I HAVE, you would understand that. This isn't the end of April and May and the staff is questionable. This is after FOUR GAMES!!!!!

Why do you keep putting down College of Charleston's baseball program??? They usually have a pretty good program AND they made it to the Super Regionals last year, which means they were one of the final 16 teams playing last season. Or are you that clueless about them??? Also, the baseballs where changed this year to ramp up HR's and offense. Or are you clueless about that top??? Furthermore, even with us facing CoC (once again a Super Regional team from last year) our team ERA is 2.75 through 4 games with these new offense geared baseballs. A 2.75 ERA would have been good enough for the 19th best ERA last year when the dud baseballs were being used. As has already been mentioned, Vandy (considered by some to have the top staff in the country) gave up 7 runs in a game to Santa Clara as well. Offensive numbers are going to be up. Or are you just clueless about that as well???

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:
Are you for real? You have throw 50 innings, bare minimum, before you start to know anything about a staff. Probably need at least a hundred before you start to draw conclusions. Baseball is a game where so many weird things can happen, you HAVE to have a big sample size to be able to draw conclusions. That's just how it is. Why do you think they play so many games?
That sounds like some rule you made up. Why 50 innings? Seems an arbitrary number. I don't know where you get that BS from. We've played 4 games, I've made observations on how we played we've played in those 4 games and compared to how we are expected to play. It's not some kind of final indictment on the team. Either it's a slow start or maybe our pitching is overrated we'll have to find out.
Honestly, 50 innings is nowhere near enough. In 2010, our pitching staff was pathetic to start the year.

We had Holmes and Taylor closing, Dyson couldn't keep the ball down, Webb was starting on Sunday, and Matt Price, Nolan Belcher, and Jay Brown were middle relievers.

It took some blown saves, a 19-6 beating at the hands of Clemson, and a lot of Fire Calvi talk before USC settled on:

Cooper, Dyson, and Brown starting on weekends.
Roth and Taylor as situational pitchers.
Mata as a middle reliever/setup man.
Price as Closer.
Belcher and Webb as midweek pitchers/relievers.

It took a while for that great pitching staff to become what it was, and it will be the same this year.

I don't know if this will be a championship caliber unit, but I do know that it is WAY too early to form a solid opinion on what this staff is. The staff that you see on the field will almost certainly be changed until they settle on something that works, with every pitcher in their proper place. I do know that the talent is there, and if they find the right niche, they could be great.

Everyone has an opinion, the so called guy that wrote the article about our elite pitching staff had an opinion, realrooster has the opinion that he's not seeing it, my opinion is ignore both of them and let get into the season a little ways before we start judging this team!

Originally posted by SMwilly brice:
I'm just not seeing that.

Yes, exactly. I am saying I am saying in 3 full games... and counting I am not seeing the "great" pitching team this team was made out to be. DAMN STRAGIHT. I would have said so yesterday I wasn't seeing it either. I didn't know there was supposed to be a "wait for it" period for the first few weeks. Good thing we starting hitting the ball.

This post was edited on 2/14 7:29 PM by ReadR00ster
ReadROOster, please post a link to where you read. " We're supposed to be some kind of great pitching team"
I don't know where it was I am not going to go looking for it. It was an article previewing a bunch of teams and gave them grades in certain areas, and our starting pitching and bullpen got an A rating.
See link.They say above average not elite.

This post was edited on 2/18 10:24 PM by pdgamecock

d1baseball article

In very cold weather, pitchers have to protect their arms. we really should not schedule games this early ( but I understand why we have to ).

if I were the coach, I would be tempted to tell the pitchers to throw fastalls only, and save the breaking pitches for warmer weather. If you played any baseball, you would know this.

very effective troll thread, all things considered.

Originally posted by tampacock:

In very cold weather, pitchers have to protect their arms. we really should not schedule games this early ( but I understand why we have to ).

if I were the coach, I would be tempted to tell the pitchers to throw fastalls only, and save the breaking pitches for warmer weather. If you played any baseball, you would know this.

very effective troll thread, all things considered.
I think our fans win the NC in Internet trolling every year... Something we can hang our hat on for sure.

ReadRooste when I see your comments I always think of Ambrose Bierce's "The Devil's Dictionary"....

Critic: n. A person who declares himself impossible to please, and then sets about to prove it.

Originally posted by winloseortie:
ReadRooste when I see your comments I always think of Ambrose Bierce's "The Devil's Dictionary"....

Critic: n. A person who declares himself impossible to please, and then sets about to prove it.
100% right.

Originally posted by SMwilly brice: please post a link to where you read. " We're supposed to be some kind of great pitching team"

Originally posted by ReadROOster, I don't know where it was I am not going to go looking for it. It was an article previewing a bunch of teams and gave them grades in certain areas, and our starting pitching and bullpen got an A rating.
Originally posted by pdgamecock: See link.They say above average not elite.

This post was edited on 2/18 10:24pm

Just what I suspected,

OP = drama queen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT