ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your official Shane Beamer Day 1 opinion or prediction for posterity?

Jon Snow

Dec 17, 2012
Lots of people like to say “I told you so” long after the fact. I’m throwing this out here so it’s in black and white.

I don’t hate the hire. I don’t love the hire. I think Beamer is as good a gamble as Napier or Chadwell would have been. Those guys are winning head coaches at lower levels. I would have been fine hiring either of them.

Now, we just have to wait and see what kind of program Beamer intends to run. Who can he bring in as coaches, what kind of recruiting can he and his staff do, etc ?

I think this is a hire with both a lower floor than Napier/Chadwell and a higher ceiling. I expect next year will at least be an improvement on what we’ve seen the past two years. So, I guess my prediction is, we are back in a bowl within 2 years.

tenor.gif

Supposedly we could go bowling this year. But in terms of earning it, I say next year. Your prediction is probably more valid, but I like to be optimistic.

Lots of people like to say “I told you so” long after the fact. I’m throwing this out here so it’s in black and white.

I don’t hate the hire. I don’t love the hire. I think Beamer is as good a gamble as Napier or Chadwell would have been. Those guys are winning head coaches at lower levels. I would have been fine hiring either of them.

Now, we just have to wait and see what kind of program Beamer intends to run. Who can he bring in as coaches, what kind of recruiting can he and his staff do, etc ?

I think this is a hire with both a lower floor than Napier/Chadwell and a higher ceiling. I expect next year will at least be an improvement on what we’ve seen the past two years. So, I guess my prediction is, we are back in a bowl within 2 years.

Regardless of how it turns out, no one on here will credit/discredit the ex players who overwhelmingly made their choice known.

Nobody can predict what will happen, but here are my realistic expectations for Beamer:

He will put together a competent staff, improve overall team speed, land some legit play-making recruits, shore up our special teams, display competency with clock management, show steady improvement year-to-year, and by Year #4 catch the eye of big-time programs looking for coaches to resurrect their program like he did ours.

I think Beamer and his staff will not recruit as well as Muschamp but they will coach them better. We will out scheme some lesser SEC teams with comparable talent but will continue to lose to Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU and Alabama. We will remain a middle to bottom quartile SEC team and the fan base will not give Beamer five years because Tanner hired him.

I made no secret I preferred Napier or Chadwell. I will give Beamer the benefit of the doubt. We will most likely get back to winning 6-7 games a year on average, then we will be here in 5 years looking for a new coach. I also predict in this same 5 year period, we will lose multiple games to Napier and/or Chadwell coached SEC teams.

I wont say I hate the hire, but IMHO it was a lazy and cheap hire. There is no argument this program started a downward spiral last year that has now turned into an avalanche. And, so it was imperative to take measures to make a hire that one felt could be the steward to make changes to turn our fortunes around and in a hurry.

Just by observing the comments it's obvious this is not a home run hire by any measure one would care to use.
Yes, we all know based on the applicants we were not attracting any big names, but this hardly seems to be the point to take a high risk. All HC hires are a calculated risk, but I can hardly call this "calculated"

I'm on board now with the hire because of one thing only. After asked what Beamer will bring to the program that would change things immediately Stephen Garcia said One thing and one thing only, "DISCIPLINE". If that's true, I'm all in.. We are the most undisciplined team in the United States and selfish to boot...

• Haha
Reactions: FireRayNow
We will struggle for 2 years because of the lack of overall talent on this team (holes everywhere), but we will see more development of the players and a team that seems to be getting better. By year 5, we will be getting much better, but not elite. With the schedule, I don't know if we will ever become elite.

I'm on board now with the hire because of one thing only. After asked what Beamer will bring to the program that would change things immediately Stephen Garcia said One thing and one thing only, "DISCIPLINE". If that's true, I'm all in.. We are the most undisciplined team in the United States and selfish to boot...
Stephen Garcia and discipline don't go together. That's a good one.

LOL at Stephen Garcia and DISCIPLINE in the same sentence

My opinion is "SHOW ME!!" And, I disagree, there is nothing to show that he has a higher ceiling than Napier or Chadwell....a lower floor, absolutely.

I’m going to throw out 2 possibilities. 1) The program stays the same 3-4 wins per year, Ray retires and the new AD is hiring a new coach. 2) The program has improved dramatically (may or may not be truly reflected in win-loss at that point), but is obviously getting better each year.

What I do not think will happen is we be floating 6-7 wins consistently without there being an improved product each year.

In other words, I don’t think this will be an average hire. We will have either hit the jackpot or be in the same or worse shape.

I think he plans to rig all our helmets with small headlights and change our team from the Cocks to the Beamers

Dude better hire some great coordinators....
If we can't draw a big time (or small time) head coach, im not crazy optimistic we'll do any better with coordinators.
I'm almost of opinion to have Bentley be OC....and then take a stab at a DC

I hope I'm wrong but I don't like the hire. I think we are going to be looking for another coach in 5 years max. Between now and then I think we win 6 games one year and less the other four. I really, really hope I'm wrong. So sad that we could've hired one of two coaches with a track record of success, but we chose not to. It's the Garnet Way. And Beamer's career will be back to position coach jobs forever. But, he'll be a multi millionaire, so no worries for him.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't like the hire. I think we are going to be looking for another coach in 5 years max. Between now and then I think we win 6 games one year and less the other four. I really, really hope I'm wrong. So sad that we could've hired one of two coaches with a track record of success, but we chose not to. It's the Garnet Way. And Beamer's career will be back to position coach jobs forever. But, he'll be a multi millionaire, so no worries for him.
Eh, if it works out and he goes on to great success, it will be considered a "genius" hire, eventhough it could be pure blind luck. We may just hit the lottery, who knows

I think Beamer and his staff will not recruit as well as Muschamp but they will coach them better. We will out scheme some lesser SEC teams with comparable talent but will continue to lose to Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU and Alabama. We will remain a middle to bottom quartile SEC team and the fan base will not give Beamer five years because Tanner hired him.
Let’s be optimistic... Too many credible folks are supporting the hire.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Nobody can predict what will happen, but here are my realistic expectations for Beamer:

He will put together a competent staff, improve overall team speed, land some legit play-making recruits, shore up our special teams, display competency with clock management, show steady improvement year-to-year, and by Year #4 catch the eye of big-time programs looking for coaches to resurrect their program like he did ours.
If he averages 8 win seasons, he ain’t goin nowhere. He’s a SC native.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I have no clue but I'm not happy considering who was out there. This was a cheap hire and it was worked out a month or so ago. Stupid to wait until right before signing day.

That said...3 wins, 4 wins, 5 wins...and then he better hit 8.

Problem is I don't think we have a better staff than anyone in the SEC except Vandy.

He'll be about where kentucky is right now. Not terrible, not contending. Better than Muschamp for sure, but unlikely to hit Spurrier status. Hope I'm wrong.

21.....4 wins.....22....4wins.....23.....7 wins......24......6 wins......25.....5 wins....
26....6 wins...27...8 wins and bowl win....28...5 wins.....29....9 wins

We will beat Clemson in 26 and 29. He will leave here for a similarly beleaguered Vir Tech team looking for anything to help.

No knock on Beamer. This is just the way it is here.

• Haha
Reactions: 43cocks
Coach Beamer is flying back to Norman tomorrow and will stay with the Sooners at least through December 12th. OU would be just fine without him.

The first 100 days are critical.

1) staff in place
2) player evaluations (current players)
3) who is in the portal
4) early signing and February signing
5) preparing for spring practice

Our special teams play will improve big time...his dad has all of the tricks and you have no one who wants him to succeed more than dad....free consultation from the best never hurts.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Keep in mind, Frank Beamer had two winning seasons in his first six, prior to really getting it going at Virginia Tech. He ended up coaching 28 seasons and becoming a HOF'er and a legend in college football. Not saying that Shane will repeat that at South Carolina, but isn't that what we have always craved? Long-term stability and sustained success?

My point is, we will need to have patience and give the guy a legitimate chance to turn things around. 2014-2020 have been a disaster for South Carolina football. 2021 and the following few years may not look pretty on paper. Will we have the patience to persevere? I hope so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT