ADVERTISEMENT

What are your favorite family or non- family Christmas traditions?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Mine is opening up my presents on Christmas morning. LOL! I'm still like a kid when it comes to Christmas.

EDIT: I also like to get up early on Christmas Eve and eat breakfast and then get out into the main stream of shoppers. It just makes it seem like Christmas. Christmas Eve is even more exciting to me than Christmas Day in a way. Because while I do love to open my presents on Christmas morning, it's the anticipation of what you think you are getting on Christmas Eve that makes it so stimulating.

Last edited:
Are there many families that have a big Christmas Eve Dinner today? And by that I mean where all the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc come over to Grandpa and Grandma's house on Christmas Eve to eat?

Last edited:
Long post,still left some out,lol . We used to go to the in-laws on Christmas Eve to open presents,back 25 years ago,it was only around 30 or so people getting together.Now it’s over 60 and just to many now.With others needing to go to other gift openings at other houses plus with Covid,pretty much killed it for now.We used to draw names for ever how many was in your family,but that is gone as well.with dad n law passing a few years ago and with mom n law health,the families take turns going so there won’t be so many at a time.For my side of the family,we used to go to my moms Christmas Day to open presents.But since my family has got so big,it’s easier for mom,brother,sis n law and niece to come over to our house.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I always worked as a nurse in a hospital setting so it was hard for my family to have a set tradition from year to year. I always worked Christmas Eve or Christmas day.
One thing I did do is always buy a picture ornament frame and take a pic of each of my sons. I would also take them to Hallmark before Christmas and let both of them pick out a keepsake ornament. Now I have 1 tree that is totally decorated with those pics and ornaments. They both get a kick out of looking at it every year.

Last edited:
when my wife and I got married it was their tradition for my father in law,to read the Christmas story from Luke 2 every Christmas eve. He had a deep voice and it was such a pleasure to her him read it. Now that he has passed away it has fallen to me. I don't have the deep voice but I am very proud it passed to me. It could have passed to my brother I law but my mother in law said my father in law,wanted me to continue it.

Come on gang, everyone has more Christmas traditions.
I grew up in a rural area on the border of the low country (had moss on the trees) in South Carolina. There were no commercial Christmas tree outlets nearby and I went with my Mother (My Dad was a traveling salesman and on the road all the time) each year to get a cedar tree on some farmland owned by my grandparents. The land adjoined our yard and I remember dragging it to the house. I can smell it even now as I type this post. Wonderful memories.

I grew up in a rural area on the border of the low country (had moss on the trees) in South Carolina. There were no commercial Christmas tree outlets nearby and I went with my Mother (My Dad was a traveling salesman and on the road all the time) each year to get a cedar tree on some farmland owned by my grandparents. The land adjoined our yard and I remember dragging it to the house. I can smell it even now as I type this post. Wonderful memories.
In my younger years, a cedar tree was all my mother and I could afford. A lot of people had cedar trees during the '50s. I can remember that smell as well.

Long post,still left some out,lol . We used to go to the in-laws on Christmas Eve to open presents,back 25 years ago,it was only around 30 or so people getting together.Now it’s over 60 and just to many now.With others needing to go to other gift openings at other houses plus with Covid,pretty much killed it for now.We used to draw names for ever how many was in your family,but that is gone as well.with dad n law passing a few years ago and with mom n law health,the families take turns going so there won’t be so many at a time.For my side of the family,we used to go to my moms Christmas Day to open presents.But since my family has got so big,it’s easier for mom,brother,sis n law and niece to come over to our house.
The main thing is the family is getting together.

I always worked as a nurse in a hospital setting so it was hard for my family to have a set tradition from year to year. I always worked Christmas Eve or Christmas day.
One thing I did do is always buy a picture ornament frame and take a pic of each of my sons. I would also take them to Hallmark before Christmas and let both of them out a keepsake ornament. Now I have 1 tree that is totally decorated with those pics and ornaments. They both get a kick out of looking at it every year.
My wife and I have been married 46 years, the one thing I regret is we didn't buy a specific ornament for each year, e.g., 1975, etc.

My wife and I have been married 46 years, the one thing I regret is we didn't buy a specific ornament for each year, e.g., 1975, etc.
We don't have an ornament for every year, but we get an ornament from all the places we visit.
When we were first married I had a business trip to SF, so one day we drove down Hwy 1, and we stopped in Carmel. We were in shell shock over the prices, and the only thing we could afford was 1 Christmas ornament.
We still have it. 🙂

Mine is opening up my presents on Christmas morning. LOL! I'm still like a kid when it comes to Christmas.
My family is of Swiss origin. They came to SC in the 1720's we have "Americanized" most of the old traditions, but we still celebrate Three Kings Day. January 6 is a treasured holiday in Switzerland, celebrated in the German, French and Italian regions. The 12th Day of Christmas marks the Epiphany, when the three kings (also referred to as wise men or magi) arrived in Bethleham. To honor this arrival, a three kings or epiphany cake, we call it Dreikönigskuchen, is made in Alemannic and Romand Switzerland. It is a cake made in sections. One of the sections contains a green bean cut into the shape of a crown. Each person takes one section of the cake and the one who gets the crown (King or Queen for the day) gets to decide what we will do as a family for the day, what and where we will eat, etc. In old world Switzerland, the toys didn't arrive until January 6th since the Kings or wise men were the ones who brought gifts. But, we are Americans now and get gifts on Christmas day like everyone else.

The main thing is the family is getting together.
Over the fireplace we have stockings for everyone in the house,even the pets(2dogs).last I counted,there was 14 hung.The wife got the idea this year to put up a fancy curtain rod just under the mantle.I must say,I finally agree on one of her ideas.lol.

• Love
My family is of Swiss origin. They came to SC in the 1720's we have "Americanized" most of the old traditions, but we still celebrate Three Kings Day. January 6 is a treasured holiday in Switzerland, celebrated in the German, French and Italian regions. The 12th Day of Christmas marks the Epiphany, when the three kings (also referred to as wise men or magi) arrived in Bethleham. To honor this arrival, a three kings or epiphany cake, we call it Dreikönigskuchen, is made in Alemannic and Romand Switzerland. It is a cake made in sections. One of the sections contains a green bean cut into the shape of a crown. Each person takes one section of the cake and the one who gets the crown (King or Queen for the day) gets to decide what we will do as a family for the day, what and where we will eat, etc. In old world Switzerland, the toys didn't arrive until January 6th since the Kings or wise men were the ones who brought gifts. But, we are Americans now and get gifts on Christmas day like everyone else.
What a great tradition.

Growing up, we would get one gift Christmas Eve. Usually something you needed like socks or underwear. We would get up and have our immediate family Christmas morning. Then we would go down to my grandparents' for a huge potluck dinner. My dad had 5 siblings so there were lots of relatives there. The food was to die for. Usually ham, chicken and dumplings, 2 or 3 mac and cheeses, several desserts. Then we would do it all again with my mom's family that evening. She had 4 full siblings and one half sister.

We've made it a tradition to give our daughter a new pair of winter PJs on Christmas Eve.

After my mom died we started having my dad come over for breakfast Christmas morning so he wouldn't be alone. The wife makes a killer breakfast casserole. My dad has since passed but we still make a special meal for breakfast.

Last edited:
  • Love
Growing up, we would get one gift Christmas Eve. Usually something you needed like socks or underwear. We would get up and have our immediate family Christmas morning. Then we would go down to my grandparents' for a huge potluck dinner. My dad had 5 siblings so there were lots of relatives there. The food was to die for. Usually ham, chicken and dumplings, 2 or 3 mac and cheeses, several desserts. Then we would do it all again with my mom's family that evening. She had 4 full siblings and one half sister.

We've made it a tradition to give our daughter a new pair of winter PJs on Christmas Eve.

After my mom died we started having my dad come over for breakfast Christmas morning so he wouldn't be alone. The wife makes a killer breakfast casserole. My dad has since passed but we still make a special meal for breakfast.
It's great that you still remember your parents by making a special breakfast. And it was very thoughtful you didn't let your dad spend Christmas Morning by himself. That had to be hard for your dad after losing his mate.

Reactions: TheReelEss
We attend our Christmas Eve candle light service and then go eat at Outback. Our daughters look forward to it so much. Corny, but it has become our Christmas Eve tradition.
Nothing in the world wrong with that! It's whatever works for each family, that's what makes it special.

This is our 5th Christmas in Montana. For 5 years now, we have purchased one of the USFS Christmas tree permits ($5 or less) locally and gone out into the national forests around here to cut down a spruce tree. We went out yesterday to one of our usual spots and found a nice one about 10' tall. Nothing gets you in the Christmas spirit like getting out into the wilderness with a few inches of snow (usually much more) on the ground and cutting down your own Christmas tree. It feels a little like the scene out of Christmas Vacation, but works out better because I never forget the saw. It also saves me well over $100 for a similar-sized tree from a commercial lot.

• Love
This is our 5th Christmas in Montana. For 5 years now, we have purchased one of the USFS Christmas tree permits ($5 or less) locally and gone out into the national forests around here to cut down a spruce tree. We went out yesterday to one of our usual spots and found a nice one about 10' tall. Nothing gets you in the Christmas spirit like getting out into the wilderness with a few inches of snow (usually much more) on the ground and cutting down your own Christmas tree. It feels a little like the scene out of Christmas Vacation, but works out better because I never forget the saw. It also saves me well over $100 for a similar-sized tree from a commercial lot.
Now that is a very nice Christmas tradition. I hear Christmas trees bought commercially here go for about $15 per foot.
Long story short, we lived in Franklin, NC when I was in the 2nd grade and we went out into the woods and cut down our own Christmas Tree. The only time I've ever done that and I remember it to this day.

I cook a Rib Roast for Christmas Eve dinner, with a higher quality bottle of wine than usual and my homemade horseradish sauce. Every year I tell myself "Rib roasts are not hard to cook - why not do them more often?"

Also, this is not a "tradition" because it only happened one year: My in-laws are farmers and live in the country. One year when my kids and all their cousins were little (7 kids total), my wife's parents dressed like Mary and Joseph and had a living nativity in their barn - complete with the horses, donkeys and cattle and a big spotlight set on top of the barn. I read the Christmas story from Luke. It was more meaningful and sweet than I expected - I'm glad we could give that memory to our kids.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I cook a Rib Roast for Christmas Eve dinner, with a higher quality bottle of wine than usual and my homemade horseradish sauce. Every year I tell myself "Rib roasts are not hard to cook - why not do them more often?"

Also, this is not a "tradition" because it only happened one year: My in-laws are farmers and live in the country. One year when my kids and all their cousins were little (7 kids total), my wife's parents dressed like Mary and Joseph and had a living nativity in their barn - complete with the horses, donkeys and cattle and a big spotlight set on top of the barn. I read the Christmas story from Luke. It was more meaningful and sweet than I expected - I'm glad we could give that memory to our kids.
Now that is really something, what your in-laws did. That will be a Christmas those kids will never forget.

We don't do this every Christmas Eve but our very first Christmas as newly weds we grilled steaks Christmas Eve. I can't remember why we choose streaks but anyway we did and have grilled steaks most every Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneIsTheWarrior
My wife and I do a lot of running around at Christmas and find we don't generally end up with much time away from family. The year we got married we started our own little tradition of going to Waffle House on Christmas Eve morning before we end up busy the rest of the holiday. No cooking, no dishes. Just a pretty well deserted restaurant with coffee and some good conversation.

Cool thread by the way. I enjoyed reading everyone's traditions.

• Love
Christmas Eve service at my church. Been there 29 years. It is cool to see the infants (including my own) of years past back home visiting their parents. It makes one greatful for life-long friends, church family and the passage of time. The service ends with a candle-lit "Silent Night". I have warm memories of loading up the young'uns and grandparents into the minivan and heading home to prep for Santa. Now that we are no longer in that life stage, it is nice to see the next generation do the same.

Another tradition is mom's sausage balls on Christmas morning.

Also (hate to admit), the wife playing that infernal Muppets' Christmas album WAY too early in the season while baking.

• Love
My wife and I do a lot of running around at Christmas and find we don't generally end up with much time away from family. The year we got married we started our own little tradition of going to Waffle House on Christmas Eve morning before we end up busy the rest of the holiday. No cooking, no dishes. Just a pretty well deserted restaurant with coffee and some good conversation.

Cool thread by the way. I enjoyed reading everyone's traditions.
There is something I love about eating out on Christmas Eve morning. Christmas Eve is more exciting to me that Christmas Day. I love all of the hustle and bustle of Christmas Eve.

Reactions: king ward
Okay, we still have a week to go before Christmas. Please share all of your Christmas traditions if you have not already done so. Everyone enjoys reading about Christmas traditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT