ADVERTISEMENT

What Gamecock player(s) in any sport did you trust the most at crunch time?

1st guy that came to my mind for recent history was Melvin Ingram....always seemed to make big plays when we really needed them.

All the guys on the list above had their moments for sure

I'm going with Connor Shaw. Here's some stats for you. After Shaw took over from Garcia, we had 14 games decided by 10 points or less. We went 12-2 during that stretch. The two losses were to LSU on the road by 2 and to UT on the road by 2. On the UT loss, he actually got hurt with 5 minutes left. When it came to clutch and winning the close games, I like that guy every time. Dude knew how to win.

I'm going with Connor Shaw. Here's some stats for you. After Shaw took over from Garcia, we had 14 games decided by 10 points or less. We went 12-2 during that stretch. The two losses were to LSU on the road by 2 and to UT on the road by 2. On the UT loss, he actually got hurt with 5 minutes left. When it came to clutch and winning the close games, I like that guy every time. Dude knew how to win.
He didn't turn over the ball either. That was another reason for his success. What I loved was watching Shaw lead long drives for scores-where the objective was always getting another first down, not going for the quick score. Just move the chains. And he would always find an open receiver or run for just enough yardage. A thing of beauty.

Reactions: heavycock
In no particular order;

Bruce
Matt Price
Michael Roth
Shaw
Thornwell
Downey
A'ja
Latti

The more I think about it though, the Roth and Price are probably tops for me. When Roth started, and when Price came in out of the bullpen, you just KNEW..... that you had a Win or Save in the bag. You knew. Complete confidence in those two, no matter the opponent or the situation.

Shaw? You couldn't depend on him on the road at all. I love the guy but he was average to bad away from home.

Add BJ McKie to the list. Seemed like if it was a close game the strategy was spread out and let him win it and more times than not he did

Mine:
Sid
Alshon
Latty
Roth
Ace and Nick Jones
Sterling
Bruce
Ryan Brewer
Gilmore
Shaw
Rios for baseball. I swear the guy had a .600 batting average with runners in scoring positions. .900 when the game was on the line at the top/bottom of the 9th and we needed runs to tie or to go ahead.

Great ones listed so far. I'll add:

Elliot Frye

Ice in his veins. Heck, Succop and Lanning were money too.

Number 1 would be Connor Shaw. He defeated Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Clemson on more than one occasion. Also, he was our starting QB on three straight bowl game victories. Always able to pass or run to get the crucial first down. He embodied mental toughness (like a US Marine) and exemplified the "Win Any Way" attitude (like Tanner's championship teams)!!!

Number 2 would be Matt Price. As previously mentioned by another member, when Matt entered the game, it was over and all our opponents knew it. Matt was a major impactful contributor to our two championship teams!!!

Reactions: buck3rd1962
Matt Price, Michael Roth, Connor Shaw.

I love Connor Football, but even he was proven to be human a couple of times. I'm not sure the other two were (maybe looked human the Arizona series their last year).

Reactions: buck3rd1962
Thornwell, Shaw, and too many baseball guys to name back in the "just win anyway" days. Always felt victory was just right around the corner

^damn, forgot about that play. I always think of Wingo against UF in the next-to-last game in the 2011 CWS finals. Dude was a straight up double-play turning machine. It's like he wasn't even human.

Reactions: 92Pony
A'ja Wilson, gotta give the ladies some love

aja-wilson-basketball-header.jpg

Shaw? You couldn't depend on him on the road at all. I love the guy but he was average to bad away from home.

Yeah, he was pretty avg playing on one leg in the 4th qtr vs Missouri and in OT. As I recall, he threw an avg pass on 4th gown to Ellington in OT to tie the game so we could keep playing until we won. A very avg performance coming from 17 pts down in the 4th qtr and winning in OT .... on the road!

Last edited:
George Rogers, Micheal Roth, S. Gilmore, J. Roche, A'ja Wilson, Matt Price.
Really hard to select just one but if I had to select just one it would be Micheal Roth for his Sr year and Big George for his total career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT