ADVERTISEMENT

What Gamecock player(s) in any sport did you trust the most at crunch time?

One game, I also remember the swamp and Knoxville. Sorry, not good.

QUOTE="wallycock, post: 3363869, member: 4194"]Yeah, he was pretty avg playing on one leg in the 4th qtr vs Missouri and in OT. As I recall, he threw an avg pass on 4th gown to Ellington in OT to tie the game so we could keep playing until we won. A very avg performance coming from 17 pts down in the 4th qtr and winning in OT .... on the road![/QUOTE]

QUOTE="wallycock, post: 3363869, member: 4194"]Yeah, he was pretty avg playing on one leg in the 4th qtr vs Missouri and in OT. As I recall, he threw an avg pass on 4th gown to Ellington in OT to tie the game so we could keep playing until we won. A very avg performance coming from 17 pts down in the 4th qtr and winning in OT .... on the road!

By your logic, nor were Roth or Price because they lost on the road a few times in their career.

QUOTE="wallycock, post: 3363869, member: 4194"]Yeah, he was pretty avg playing on one leg in the 4th qtr vs Missouri and in OT. As I recall, he threw an avg pass on 4th gown to Ellington in OT to tie the game so we could keep playing until we won. A very avg performance coming from 17 pts down in the 4th qtr and winning in OT .... on the road!
[/QUOTE]
He had a 27 - 5 career record. How bad could he have been on the road???

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I may be wrong but 4 of those 5 losses were on the road. Didn't say he wasn't a great qb but he was not at all on the road.

QUOTE="Crutcher1, post: 3364283, member: 94131"][/QUOTE]
He had a 27 - 5 career record. How bad could he have been on the road???[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong but 4 of those 5 losses were on the road. Didn't say he wasn't a great qb but he was not at all on the road.

QUOTE="Crutcher1, post: 3364283, member: 94131"]
He had a 27 - 5 career record. How bad could he have been on the road???[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I think all 5 were on the road? He never lost at WB did he?

In no particular order:

Sin
Devan Downey
Matt Price
Roth
Christian Walker (defense and hitting)
JBJ (defense and hitting)
Clowney (when we had to have the big stop)
Bruce
Lattimore
Sidney Rice
Alshon
A'ja
Tiffany Mitchell

South%20Carolina%2070's%20Road%20John%20Roche.jpg

Don't see him mentioned so if I missed him I apologize but I think Mike Hold deserves a mention from the 84 season. How many times did that guy come in the 2nd half and rally that team?

Reactions: Lakecock1
Roth & Shaw with honorable mention to Jeff Grantz. Also hard not to send some love to Sidney Rice and Big George. Steve Taneyhill got under the Clemmers skin worse than anyone in Carolina history.

Sidney Rice. Best pair of hands I have ever seen!!!
Tre Kelley. Always played big in big games and single handidly won 4-5 games his senior year
Blake Taylor. I remember him in the NCAA tourney being filthy the entire weekend.

All of these are great players but as far as just being able to count on someone at crunch time....Connor Shaw...simply a gamer.we may never go 27-5 again.

I was a youngster but I recall Brian Winters nailing a last second game winning shot from the top of the key against Marquette. Always felt like we had a chance with the ball in his hands.

But, Connor Shaw, hands down in crunch time.

Connor Shaw's ability to read a defense and audible to another play was probably his greatest strength. It's just a lot tougher to do that on the road.

Shaw? You couldn't depend on him on the road at all. I love the guy but he was average to bad away from home.
Bullshit! You are out of your fn mind!
He had the best comeback game of any Carolina QB ever on the road at Mizzou! That is way better than average to bad... he played that way more often than not on the road and at home, your WRONG impression of his road struggles must be based on the fact that he NEVER lost at home, but did actually lose a couple games on the road? Yeah that's how sports work- it is harder to win on the road. Period.

Reactions: BigTomE

[/QUOTE]
The Knoxville game where we lost by TWO only because he got injured with 5 minutes left and was unable to complete a comeback!? Or how about the LSU game where he only lost by TWO? Those are hardly on the QB- sometimes teams lose games because of other reasons and that is two of the five total games he lost that I think it was clear we had a chance to win and you cannot pin it on him playing poorly... even so- his record On the road was a better winning percentage than any USC QB has had OVERALL since he left. It is thougher to play in the road for every QB but to say the man was average to bad on the road is just total rotting BS. You are wrong about that.

Reactions: BigTomE
Bullshit! You are out of your fn mind!
He had the best comeback game of any Carolina QB ever on the road at Mizzou! That is way better than average to bad... he played that way more often than not on the road and at home, your WRONG impression of his road struggles must be based on the fact that he NEVER lost at home, but did actually lose a couple games on the road? Yeah that's how sports work- it is harder to win on the road. Period.
Jeff Grantz pulled off one as good at Ole Miss Carlen's first year. We came from waaaay back in the fourth quarter of that game.

I think you are thinking of Tom Owens, who won't come back to have his jersey retired. Roache is still practicing law in Denver and has been back several times.
Oh OK my bad- I thought I read an article recently where he was real dismissive of his time at USC- like, "oh that was a long time ago, and I barely remember it. Better things to do than discuss USC basketball. Get a life people" That kind of thing. And no I dont feel like looking for the link.

Last edited:
For me, it's almost a tie between Shaw and Wingo, but I'm going to give the nod to Wingo since he played in, and came through in the clutch in, a national championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT