ADVERTISEMENT

What is your level of excitement for this season starting compared to past?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
I feel that this season I am somewhat indifferent and cant really explain why. It may be like Heath was saying on radio the other day that due to how last season ended, and the schedule we have coming, we are more in a wait and see attitude rather than ready to go.
I am excited to have football coming on and hope we have a great season but have not really followed the preseason stuff near as much as in the past.

I feel that this season I am somewhat indifferent and cant really explain why. It may be like Heath was saying on radio the other day that due to how last season ended, and the schedule we have coming, we are more in a wait and see attitude rather than ready to go.
I am excited to have football coming on and hope we have a great season but have not really followed the preseason stuff near as much as in the past.
I think everybody was optimistic last year because Roper was gone and we’d have a new offense. And the offense was improved I don’t think anybody expected the amount of injuries on defense. I think the mantra was always Boom is a defensive coach, the defense will always be fine, especially after 2017 (positive turnover margin). But now it’s not being hoodwinked into over hyping as we always do.

Personally I’m most excited about this season because of Dline-Oline personal and depth. But I also know that 9 wins two years ago was situational. Mizz and Florida are overrated. We should be Tennessee. I see us being outmatched in 3-4 games this year but it’s time we actually pulled an upset. I’ll be disappointed in anything less than 8 wins. It’s not sunshine pumping it’s a 4th year coach with no more excuses.

I'm more excited about this season than last. Ever since the 2014 season I've tempered my excitement to a 'wait and see'. That Texas A&M 2014 game was extremely painful.

I won a lot of money on my Gamecocks expecting the results of the Georgia and Kentucky game last year. This year? Unless things fall apart and teams start exposing some gaping holes; I wouldn't bet against my Gamecocks for any game this year.

One game at a time.

Reactions: 4theluvofgamecocks
Not so excited. Guess that comes with age and the mediocre results of the recent seasons.

I'm excited because of our talent level and right now the team is relatively healthy. There are only three teams on our schedule with significantly more talent and we get two of them at home. Everyone else is either similar or less talented. Having experience in key areas also helps. I think we are going to surprise some folks.

I'm excited because of our talent level and right now the team is relatively healthy. There are only three teams on our schedule with significantly more talent and we get two of them at home. Everyone else is either similar or less talented. Having experience in key areas also helps. I think we are going to surprise some folks.
I'm actually pretty excited too. Nobody is giving us any chance at all, which I like. I think we may surprise some folks. But, remember, win or lose, its just a game played by 18 to 22 year olds.

Reactions: tigertomreed
Should be an interesting year. We have plenty of exciting games on the schedule and much to learn about our team and this coaching staff.

Our overall record and any postseason is likely going to be lackluster so just going to enjoy the three hours of theater each week. Hopefully we'll see some excitement back in the team and possible a big win or two.

Reactions: gamecockblack
My excitement is sooo low I've spent the summer looking forward to basketball. This team will have to show me they can man up and kick some ass. I've tired of losing to Clemons. The democrats say we only have 12_years left to live. Heck let's beat the taters 8 of em.

I'm excited because it's football but I ain't tearing my shirt off and hollering. We will be good but how good? I like the new depth and that Jake is a Sr but he still makes me chug pepto. I'm excited but not to the point of curling up in the fetal position if we don't beat Bama.

I feel that this season I am somewhat indifferent and cant really explain why.
I can tell you exactly why. Clemson is #1, UGA is top 5 and are staring 6-6 in the face. Is it really that hard to figure out? Hopefully the tides turn soon but this is about the toughest stretch it gets as a Gamecock football fan. Our rivals are rolling and we're meandering

This is the most indifferent I’ve been going into a season since I was a student (graduated in 2012)...but that’s bc I’ve stopped pretending I believe in Muschamp. If we do well...awesome...I’ll be ecstatic...if we underachieve like I expect us to...we get a new coach. Win-Win for me.

I can tell you exactly why. Clemson is #1, UGA is top 5 and are staring 6-6 in the face. Is it really that hard to figure out? Hopefully the tides turn soon but this is about the toughest stretch it gets as a Gamecock football fan. Our rivals are rolling and we're meandering
This pretty much sums it up for me. I haven't been this unexcited since the end of the Brad Scott era. I'll still tune in and pull for us to win. But right now, I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

This is the most indifferent I’ve been going into a season since I was a student (graduated in 2012)...but that’s bc I’ve stopped pretending I believe in Muschamp. If we do well...awesome...I’ll be ecstatic...if we underachieve like I expect us to...we get a new coach. Win-Win for me.
I wouldn't bet on it. We could only win 4 games this year 1/2 our fan base would be lobbying for Muschamp to get a 5th or even 6th year. It's how we roll.

Extremely low. Not much talent and games with teams that have lots of talent.

Reactions: Thigh Man
About a 6 out of 10 . Good news is .... I’m always torn during the Fall if I want to Fish or watch the game . Don’t think that’s gonna be a tough decision this year . If we get past Kentucky and Mizzou with W’s it might become a tough decision . We drop games to those two and I probably will check out until next year .

I'd say 5 out of 10. I guess the 3 great seasons spoiled me, and many like me. Have been excited hoping for the best for years. To be honest, especially when considering the schedule, I'm just hoping the wheels don't come off somewhere early.

I think after 40 straight years of watching, I’m kinda just over football, and have been for a few years. Of course it would be different without Clemmons and UGA, but still. Even during the Eagles SB run 2 years ago, I felt similar, and I’m fully picking them to win another this year. I think social media (like it has a lot of things) has ruined it because there is so much extra crap besides the game, and you can never escape it. It was perfect back in the 90’s watch some football, or not, and then I never missed Primetime. This game(s) every day except Tuesday and Wednesday is overkill. Regardless, about a 3 out of 10, until they show me something, hell, show yourselves something.

If we wind up needing a new coach, he won't be on our sideline until year after next at the earliest.

Muschamp gets two more years at minimum and that’s only if we miss a bowl both years. If he wins at least 6 games a year he gets 5 more years. He won 7 last year, blasted by Virginia and got a contract extension.
I don't think that will turn out to be precedential. Other people have their own jobs to think about - one in particular. However, Muschamp will be back next year regardless of what happens this year - the five-year thing.

Thinking about football season involves bracing myself for a likely trio of 6-bombs, and a fiver from the Dawgs.

I want to see what happens, but am I excited.....no.

The latest national championship by Clemson, plus our bowl loss to Virginia took a lot of wind out of our sails. I can’t explain it but I get just as much, or even more happiness out of Clemson losing than I do when we win.

At least if Clemson had lost the national championship, I could’ve proudly repped our conference supremacy and explained how they could only win games because of their crap schedule, but the beat down they put on Bama really ruined that for me.

I’ve tried telling the Clemson folk I’m in contact with that their national championships have all been because of cheating, and they still have zero legitimate national titles, but they don’t even seem to be bothered by it (big surprise).

My indifference comes from the fact that if I choose to care more, it’s going to hurt more when I’m ultimately disappointed by the onfield results that will occur this year. This feeling will probably not go away until Clemson is back to mediocrity, or at least until we are back to beating them regularly like we used to do.

I really thought that the SEC division title, money and conference prestige 2009-2013 had allowed us to pass them for good.

It’s just been tough to be a gamecock since 2014. I’m fairly certain this may be what hell feels like.

Unfortunately, the taste of the Belk Bowl is still in my mouth. I'm not sure why the sting of that game has lingered so long, but it may have something to do with the fact that we are opening the season in the very same stadium against another junky ACC team.

Maybe once the team proves they are better than their last game showed, I'll be ready to get excited about the season. A several TD victory over the Tarheels would go a long way toward restoring my enthusiasm about this season.

If we win 4 games and keep Muschamp we deserve all the misery that’s almost assuredly coming our way.

Who is the decider? RT. Blame it on the decision maker. RT is way too conservative in his approach to make Carolina athletics work. Now Hyman was different.

It's Gamecock fatigue. Sets in about late 30's - early 40's.

You believe all the hype in the offseason... "best team I've had here, deepest we've ever been at xx position, talent level is much higher than xx years ago."

Then we come out in the first game and wonder what the heck the coaches were seeing in practice, and ultimately realize that scrimmaging ourselves, we look dang good.

This offseason is peppered with all of those superlatives, and as a gamecock fan of over 30 years, I just have to expect 7-5. Anything better is icing (and adds to the excitement of the next offseason).

Unfortunately, the taste of the Belk Bowl is still in my mouth. I'm not sure why the sting of that game has lingered so long, but it may have something to do with the fact that we are opening the season in the very same stadium against another junky ACC team.

Maybe once the team proves they are better than their last game showed, I'll be ready to get excited about the season. A several TD victory over the Tarheels would go a long way toward restoring my enthusiasm about this season.
I hear you, but those guys in Vegas know what they're doing. Clemson was a 35-point favorite and won by 38. What's our line -9.5? I bet we win 20-10.

Least excited I’ve ever been. I've got doubts that we get a big win this year and it’s unlikely we get to watch a Clemson loss this year. Without those things, what is there to be excited about really? Going in knowing you can’t beat Clemson or Georgia and that it’s unlikely you beat any other big name teams really puts a damper on it.

I’m really looking forward to seeing old friends tailgating, drinking beer all day on Saturdays, good weather, etc, but my excitement level for Gamecock Football is low. Unfortunately that makes the CFB season less appealing too.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT