ADVERTISEMENT

what number saves Muschamp

Feb 12, 2009
Honest question. Since we have new QB starting. All hypothetical. Most of us can agree 6-6 or worse and Champ should be polishing the resume.But what if RH comes in and turns into our own version of Malibu Barbie form the upstate? We look competitive and end the season 7-5 or upset ATM or UF and end at 8-4. Or say we get both of those and end it at 9-3. Is that enough to change the opinion of the fanbase? I would love to see it happen. I think 7-5 is the most plausible. But what happens if we have a 9-3 season like Champ's 2nd here? Do the pitchforks and torches get put down for a year or do people still want him gone? Esp knowing firing the staff sets us back another 5 plus years and almost assuredly means close to a decade of losing to the necks.

What would be the number where you stop and say OK another year or so. (This is assuming in the losses we don't look completely lost and like a JV squad.)

I would say 8-4. It would mean at least one upset of a ranked team and would be a middle of the road bowl with a chance for 9 wins.

For me, it remains 8 wins or 7 with a win over our rival, but I'm not the decision maker. I dont see Muschamp getting the axe this year if he gets six wins. He has a built in excuse now that almost guarantees him another year.

This number is much more for fans than admin.
Much more. And admin makes the call. Which they won’t.

Fans don’t care. What’s the difference between 3 wins or 5 if you still lose to Clemson, UGA, Florida, Kentucky, and tx am every year. Win 5 sec games or go

Reactions: vacock#
I hate to say it if we lose to CS and loose the rest he’s staying I know that tanner is a damn good baseball coach but in my opinion when the Georgia baseball player caught the baseball on a short hop and the officials ruled it an out in a super regional that’s all I needed to see as a person with a back bone no reaction what so ever.

I just want to see improvement going forward. I don’t care if they lose to Alabama, Georgia etc but they need to be at least competitive in those games and take a few from teams that are on the same level. If he can’t accomplish this very low bar then he needs to go. Buyout be damned.

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog
Honestly I don’t think it matters . 3-9 or 6-6 . He will use the schedule and the QB injury as an excuse and Tanner will Lap it up and probably extend him a few more years . He ain’t going anywhere and neither is our program . Buckle up

There were 3 camps when he was hired. Those that hated and have complained for four years. Those that loved it and have pumped sunshine for four years, and those that were in the wait and see mode. I feel like the wait and see group has split into two. Those leaning toward the get him out and those wanting to see how this season plays out.

Nothing to do with the admin here. Just wanting to know if a decent, competitive end to this year will have those in the middle leaning back to where they were after the Michigan win.

There were 3 camps when he was hired. Those that hated and have complained for four years. Those that loved it and have pumped sunshine for four years, and those that were in the wait and see mode. I feel like the wait and see group has split into two. Those leaning toward the get him out and those wanting to see how this season plays out.

Nothing to do with the admin here. Just wanting to know if a decent, competitive end to this year will have those in the middle leaning back to where they were after the Michigan win.

Yes if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 he’s absolutely safe . There’s a better chance of the Beatles getting back together with John and George than this happening . A UFO landing at midfield Sat with Elvis , Tupac and Bugs Bunny inside of it is about as likely as this team going 8-4 or better . Again I think he’s safe if we finish 3-9 unfortunately.

6-6 probably buys him another year. But I don't think CWM can get us to that this year. I suspect we finish 3-9 or possible 4-8. And the pitchforks and torches multiply! I've seen enough these past 3 years. Boring, boring, and boring....

Honest question. Since we have new QB starting. All hypothetical. Most of us can agree 6-6 or worse and Champ should be polishing the resume.But what if RH comes in and turns into our own version of Malibu Barbie form the upstate? We look competitive and end the season 7-5 or upset ATM or UF and end at 8-4. Or say we get both of those and end it at 9-3. Is that enough to change the opinion of the fanbase? I would love to see it happen. I think 7-5 is the most plausible. But what happens if we have a 9-3 season like Champ's 2nd here? Do the pitchforks and torches get put down for a year or do people still want him gone? Esp knowing firing the staff sets us back another 5 plus years and almost assuredly means close to a decade of losing to the necks.

What would be the number where you stop and say OK another year or so. (This is assuming in the losses we don't look completely lost and like a JV squad.)

I would say 8-4. It would mean at least one upset of a ranked team and would be a middle of the road bowl with a chance for 9 wins.
There's a big difference between #3 Pro-style QB and #1 overall recruit.
I hope RH is great and lives up to the hype, but he ain't TL, nor do I expect him to perform like TL did last year.

$22 million buyout

I do want to think I heard that the number drops to 18 mil after the first of the year. A bit late to get into the coaching search, but would st least prevent Ray from getting played by all of the "hot" coaches like he was last time. And it is a waste of time because none of the front line coaches are coming to Columbia anyway

There's a big difference between #3 Pro-style QB and #1 overall recruit.
I hope RH is great and lives up to the hype, but he ain't TL, nor do I expect him to perform like TL did last year.
I didn't expect us to win 9 games JB's first year. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Yes if he goes 8-4 or 9-3 he’s absolutely safe . There’s a better chance of the Beatles getting back together with John and George than this happening . A UFO landing at midfield Sat with Elvis , Tupac and Bugs Bunny inside of it is about as likely as this team going 8-4 or better . Again I think he’s safe if we finish 3-9 unfortunately.
Elvis and Tupac. I will pay the seat premium for that!

I think we will upset UK and win 4 games this year. (CSU, Vandy, UK & App State. Missouri is a possibility, but not likely) But to answer the question I don't think 0-12 will get Muschamp fired this year. Win less than 6 next year then I think the BOT's hand is forced.

6 wins and he stays for two more years. I expect Hilinski to lead a Steve Taneyhill type recovery that gets 6 or 7 wins. Provided the OC lets him.

I think we will upset UK and win 4 games this year. (CSU, Vandy, UK & App State. Missouri is a possibility, but not likely) But to answer the question I don't think 0-12 will get Muschamp fired this year. Win less than 6 next year then I think the BOT's hand is forced.
Count Mizzou. I mean Wyoming?
I am counting the hillbilly dumpster fire in Knoxville as well.

Even if playing RH fixes the offense (longshot) what is going to fix the defense? What is going to make our guys suddenly start taking the right angles and tackling properly?

I do want to think I heard that the number drops to 18 mil after the first of the year. A bit late to get into the coaching search, but would st least prevent Ray from getting played by all of the "hot" coaches like he was last time. And it is a waste of time because none of the front line coaches are coming to Columbia anyway
Who says we have to wait until we fire him to start the coaching search? Just do what WV did and hire a "head coach in waiting" to be Muschamp's offensive coordinator. Heck, go ahead and make it Dana Holgersen to complete the repeated history.

I think anything above 3-9 will keep Muschamp alive. I thought before the season that 6-6 was most likely, with 7-5 possible. With the UNC loss, I think 6-6 is now the ceiling for this year. I also think 6-6 will have Tanner giving him yet another contract extension. Deserved or not.

6 wins and he stays for two more years. I expect Hilinski to lead a Steve Taneyhill type recovery that gets 6 or 7 wins. Provided the OC lets him.
That was my senior year. While Taneyhill was good- the defense that year was awesome and we had a great running game.

Reactions: HI Cock

Gonna shock the shine off you but here it goes: I'm going with the exact same # I stated before the year even started. 6-6 (with this schedule) is good enough for me. Wouldn't care about the bowl game in that case. 6 wins against this schedule is brutal. THAT ALONE will get him to next season.

Reactions: Jeremiah Bullfrog

He's safe for next year right now, even if we don't win another game and every player quits.

If he gets to 6 wins he’s safe. In fact, I have this feeling if he gets to 5 he might be safe too.

Working in his favor is the fact that if you have to fire Muschamp then you probably need to to fire Tanner. He rolled the dice on a hire that conventional wisdom said was nuts. I knew when he hired Muschamp he was either going to look like a genius or a complete moron. With that in mind, I can’t see us asking Ray to step down, hire a new AD, and then actually make a good hire for football all over the next 6 months.

However.....if I’m Caslen I’m going to Ray today and asking him who he could get to replace Muschamp. I.e., what are the options? If Tanner could land a homerun hire on the side....then he keeps his job.

what number saves Muschamp
images

Don't Bogart that joint, my friend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT