ADVERTISEMENT

What say ye in the Ashley Judd matter below?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Let me first put out the disclaimer, I don't know all of the details and only saw a small segment on Fox News last night about the matter.

Ashley Judd apparently put on social media that Arkansas was playing dirty against UK in the SEC Championship game last Sunday. When she did, Ashley got all sorts of nasty feedback from a lot of fans. I think she received all sorts of threats, etc. etc. She said on some talk show she planned to press charges against these people.

But, this is my issue: She poked the bear, so to speak. We all know how avid all SEC fans are in all sports. My gosh, there have been people shot and killed over SEC games. Most recently the Bama women who shot and killed another women whom she felt was not upset enough about the Auburn player who ran a missed field goal back for a touchdown that sealed the Auburn win.

And then of course, the Carolina vs quempsum game in 2006 where a Carolina fan shot and killed, supposely his best friend, for not paying off on a $20 bet on the game.

Yes, those fans were and are wrong for sending threating twitters, etc, etc to Ashley Judd. But, to some degree I hold Mrs. Judd accountable for doing something that is a "no brainer" in my opinion. Do not poke or insult other SEC fans or their teams without knowing full well THERE IS GOING TO BE RETRIBUTION.

This post was edited on 3/19 1:07 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

This post was edited on 3/19 4:03 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Re: What say ye in the matter below?

Who cares....she's a kensucky scank who swallowed spit with dickie V.

I'm not sure she could recognize dirty play if it bit her on the arse...she probably overheard another redneck yell something during the game.....and imagine that coming from a kensucky.

I support her actions completely. While she did "poke the bear" that is not justification for saying anything you want in return. At some point people have to be accountable for what they say. This crap of hiding behind a keyboard thinking you can say or threaten to kill anyone in any manner you want because it's the internet needs to stop.

She needs to feed Wideloada Judd some collards and malt liquor....the stank is all the protection needed

Originally posted by 85alum#:
I support her actions completely. While she did "poke the bear" that is not justification for saying anything you want in return. At some point people have to be accountable for what they say. This crap of hiding behind a keyboard thinking you can say or threaten to kill anyone in any manner you want because it's the internet needs to stop.
Agree, with part of your statement but not all of your comment. But, she was doing something similar by "hiding behind the keyboard" when she texted, twitted or whatever, about the Hogs playing dirty.

I hope she sues and wins. Some people have had it with the cowards who threaten people behind what they think is the safety of of a keyboard or smart phone. I don't do twitter or facebook or any other of the so called social media crap because of people who threaten bodily harm to anyone who will dare post simple opinions about sports etc. She has it is writing that some fool out there wants to do crazy stuff to her. She can get all the info she needs to drop the hammer on these big talkers. It doesn't matter if she is a North Korea basketball fan she has the right to post something without fear of her personal well being. The ones that left the replies have the right to leave them too but not to threaten bodily harm to her without paying a price. If you MUST threaten somebody don't threaten Ashley Judd who has enough $$ to buy your whole family.

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:
Agree, with part of your statement but not all of your comment. But, she was doing something similar by "hiding behind the keyboard" when she texted, twitted or whatever, about the Hogs playing dirty.
Freddie ! She's Ashley Judd, how can she hide behind a keyboard...lol

Originally posted by jimnasium:

Freddie ! She's Ashley Judd, how can she hide behind a keyboard...lol
Because, she is not saying to the fans faces, instead she is saying it on social media. I have gotten into heated arguments here on FGF and Small Talk and have called other posters mean names (because they did the same to me). But, everyone knows who I am, but I'm not saying it directly to their faces.

Who doesn't know who Ashley Judd is ? Lots of us would love to have her say anything to our faces. PS I don't know who you are...lol

Originally posted by jimnasium:
Who doesn't know who Ashley Judd is ? Lots of us would love to have her say anything to our faces. PS I don't know who you are...lol
Well, most people on here know who I am. On the other point I don't want Mrs. Judd tosay anything to me, period. The heck with a UK fan, but now if you are talking about Lisa Gibbons please bring her on.

This is the social media equivalent of the stupid girl who thinks she can get in the playground game and mix it up with men and then the first time she gets fouled hard running off the court screaming "I'm a GIRL!!!" You want to be treated like a girl, don't open your cakehole about stuff you don't know what the heck you're talking about. And screw all you pussy-whipped ninnies crying about "bullying", shut up and grow a pair.

Originally posted by CaliCock:
This is the social media equivalent of the stupid girl who thinks she can get in the playground game and mix it up with men and then the first time she gets fouled hard running off the court screaming "I'm a GIRL!!!" You want to be treated like a girl, don't open your cakehole about stuff you don't know what the heck you're talking about. And screw all you pussy-whipped ninnies crying about "bullying", shut up and grow a pair.
Just minutes ago I watched the HLN version of the incident. And they turned it into a man vs woman issue. Bottom line is I agree with your post 100%.

A former female prosecutor stated (and I'm parapharsing) that she applauded Mrs Judd for bring forth an issue that is a male dominated thing such as sports and defending her rights as a female, yada, yada, yada.

The prosecutor further stated that in all likelyhood there would be no actionable judgements against the people that twitted these threating comments. The prosecutor further stated that if it had been a person who knew the person they were threating then there could be actionable prosecution brough against the threating party.
This post was edited on 3/19 4:09 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Originally posted by TN--Gamecock:
She is just trying to garner publicity....she put herself out there...she knew what she was doing...
Well, my whole position has been, while yes one has the right to do something, is it necessarily the smart thing to do?

So when Curt Schilling goes after punks threatening violence to his daughter on Twitter he is a hero.
But if Ashley Judd does the same she is just a Kentucky Skank? Sounds like a double standard. Use Free speech To threaten violence and or sexual violence expect people to out you and they should!

Originally posted by winloseortie:
So when Curt Schilling goes after punks threatening violence to his daughter on Twitter he is a hero.
But if Ashley Judd does the same she is just a Kentucky Skank? Sounds like a double standard. Use Free speech To threaten violence and or sexual violence expect people to out you and they should!
I'm not familar with the Curt Schilling incident. But, it sounds like two different cases. What happened that caused people to do violence against his daughter?

Schilling did what any parent should do when his daughter is bullied and threated on the web he went on the attack against the cowards. Guess he grew some balls huh? I believe the people who don't call out these people are the ones lacking nuts. If you are going to threaten somebody don't put it in writing.

Ashley Judd should be able to post a sports opinion without fearing for her own safety. Kind of like a coed at FSU should be able to walk the campus without fearing the Winstons of the world. The lack of compassion for women in our society is both alarming and ridiculous. All men need to "grow a pair" and stand up for their wives, daughters, girlfriends etc., and Judd has every right in this case to stand up for herself and press charges and that's what she did. Good for her! Good for Schilling!

Freddie, it is against the rules not to post a few pics of this woman to go along with the thread. The one she did a few yrs ago in the UK jersey is a good starter. Do the right thing, old boy!

Originally posted by CarolinaHeaven:

Ashley Judd should be able to post a sports opinion without fearing for her own safety. Kind of like a coed at FSU should be able to walk the campus without fearing the Winstons of the world. The lack of compassion for women in our society is both alarming and ridiculous. All men need to "grow a pair" and stand up for their wives, daughters, girlfriends etc., and Judd has every right in this case to stand up for herself and press charges and that's what she did. Good for her! Good for Schilling!
One should be able to walk down a street without getting harmed or killed but sadly people are killed or seroius harmed everyday for doing nothing but walking down the street. . All, I am saying is when a person from some fan base posts something that is preceived to be bad by other fans bases, watch out social media because here it comes. The bigger the celebrity the more harsh the barbs from social media. Just saying here, not talking about what should be but what is.

Oh btw, I'm not saying she doesn't have a right to call out those people that threatened her but am just saying was it the smart thing to do to say Arkansas was playing dirty in the first place. My gosh, talking about Arkansas playing dirty many people think the UK program is the dirtiest of the dirty.

This post was edited on 3/19 6:54 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

This post was edited on 3/19 6:58 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Wasn't calling you out Freddie. I agree it was stupid to call out the Arkansas players when Kentucky cheats like no one else outside of Chapel Hill. Dumb remarks by her, but I felt badly for her with people making references to her private parts and calling her a skank etc. She has also been a victim of rape and molestation in the past so she was probably reacting out of fear as well. She was wrong initially, but then the twitter response was more wrong, and then she had every right to stand up for herself. People just take sports too seriously and also get just plain nasty on social media when there are no consequences for their remarks.

Wasn't calling you out Freddie. I agree it was stupid to call out the Arkansas players when Kentucky cheats like no one else outside of Chapel Hill. Dumb remarks by her, but I felt badly for her with people making references to her private parts and calling her a skank etc. She has also been a victim of rape and molestation in the past so she was probably reacting out of fear as well. She was wrong initially, but then the twitter response was more wrong, and then she had every right to stand up for herself. People just take sports too seriously and also get just plain nasty on social media when there are no consequences for their remarks.
You make some good points and I agree with you, especially if she had been sexually abused as a child or even as an adult.

She put her opinion out there and so did others. Think before you hit send. Was she asking for this? No but she had to know there are wackos out there who were going to respond. Muchado about nothing IMO. Arky may very well play dirty but nobody or team is as sleazy as Calipari is. Her head coach had not one but two schools where he coach forced to vacate final four banners for cheating. I gotta tell you for someone who supports John Calipari's program to call someone else out for being dirty is a bit mind boggling.

No problem with it as long as the University of Arkansas, its coaches and the Razorback players can sue her for some sort of slander...unless she can prove they were playing dirty, of course.

Originally posted by CaliCock:
Yeah, stupid women talking about sports. Doesn't she know when men disagree about sports we threaten to murder on public forums?

Cali, it is hard to get reception in the 15th century?

Originally posted by usctim#:

She put her opinion out there and so did others. Think before you hit send. Was she asking for this? No but she had to know there are wackos out there who were going to respond. Muchado about nothing IMO. Arky may very well play dirty but nobody or team is as sleazy as Calipari is. Her head coach had not one but two schools where he coach forced to vacate final four banners for cheating. I gotta tell you for someone who supports John Calipari's program to call someone else out for being dirty is a bit mind boggling.
Ashley Judd shouldnt seek leagl actio nagains these people, but scaring them is probably wort her time. People spout off on twitter (and on message boards) like there is no consequence....especially young kids.

Serious question here.....regardiong sleazy Calipari, do you consider cheating Steve Spurrier sleazy? I mean, he did cheat and give his players impermissable benefits over twice the amount Marcus Camby received during his junior year summer vacation. i guess Spurrier is a cheating sleazeball. Regardless of what they say, Spurrier knew all about it and personally orchestrated the whole deal behind the scenes. (note the sarcasm, but you get the point).

Who cares? Judd lost me when I found out she was a KY fan and supported obama bin liar.

Originally posted by Kommonwealth:

Ashley Judd shouldnt seek leagl actio nagains these people, but scaring them is probably wort her time. People spout off on twitter (and on message boards) like there is no consequence....especially young kids.

Serious question here.....regardiong sleazy Calipari, do you consider cheating Steve Spurrier sleazy? I mean, he did cheat and give his players impermissable benefits over twice the amount Marcus Camby received during his junior year summer vacation. i guess Spurrier is a cheating sleazeball. Regardless of what they say, Spurrier knew all about it and personally orchestrated the whole deal behind the scenes. (note the sarcasm, but you get the point).
First, Hooked on Phonics. It couldn't hurt.

Second, huh? Are you referencing the Whitney? I know information makes it slow into Appalachia, so I'll give you a cheat sheet. Our dumbass compliance director, subsequently fired, signed off on some athletes staying at an extended hotel at the same fixed rate as other students, which isn't impermissible. Kids being kids, they regularly fell behind on their rents, which apparently isn't. In any event, our brilliant AD decided we'd surrender nine scholarships for this and a free boat ride for a recruit.I'm sure nothing like that happens at UK. And I'm curious, when's the last time Calapari graduated a player? Let me know when he does.

Originally posted by Bongsummers:

Originally posted by Kommonwealth:

First, Hooked on Phonics. It couldn't hurt.

Second, huh? Are you referencing the Whitney? I know information makes it slow into Appalachia, so I'll give you a cheat sheet. Our dumbass compliance director, subsequently fired, signed off on some athletes staying at an extended hotel at the same fixed rate as other students, which isn't impermissible. Kids being kids, they regularly fell behind on their rents, which apparently isn't. In any event, our brilliant AD decided we'd surrender nine scholarships for this and a free boat ride for a recruit.I'm sure nothing like that happens at UK. And I'm curious, when's the last time Calapari graduated a player? Let me know when he does.
They are called typos.

My point is that Cal was never implicated in anything.....Camby took gifts from an agent while on summer vacation before his junior year. They suspected Rose didnt take his SAT score but never actually proved. Memphis was convicted without evidence. Its all been hashed out and UK has been investigated in depth several times already (bc people hate Cal) and it turned up nothing. Im sure players get paid at most SEC schools in all sports....its the culture of the fanbases.

As for graduating kids, he has had more than few receive their degree. Most of the NBA kids come back to finish their degrees in the summer. He harps on going to class and doing the right thing.

On a side note, they didnt create Rivals.com to see kids graduate and discuss their degrees. If i was a sophomore at UK and was offered a $350,000 salaried job....you better believe I'd jump all over it and finsih my degree part time.......you would too.

The Whitney thing was stupid and Im not saying Spurrier is a cheat. But that argument can be made bc USC players received impermissable benefits under Spurrier's watch. Is Spurrier guilty, No, is Cal, No.

Originally posted by winloseortie:
The difference is Schilling daughter is 18 . Judd was old enough to know better and running her big mouth on twitter .

I don't know what her exact words were but I'll bet they weren't the worst that were said. But the vitriol that was spewed in response was way over the top in a personal way. If the cowards who wrote the words actually said them to any woman they should be ashamed. I think Ashley Judd is at least as knowledgeable as anyone else and has a right to her opinion. She didn't say anything that hasn't been said about any team. There is no place for the crude, sexist, vulgar commentary in any forum. What did her gender have to do with her comments about a basketball game? I'm insulted when someone assumes I have less knowledge about sports because I'm female. I could go on and on.....
By the way-the age of the female in question is irrelevant. 18 or 80, the sentiment is just as vile.

First of all, there's no such thing as a Twitter hero. Or a Twitter villain, for that matter. Only Twitter idiots.

I don't know about this whole "hiding behind the keyboard thing." I tend to think most of those folks are 12 year old boys, but I guess some of them most be grown people, just based on the law of averages. But whether you type it or you say it to somebody's face, if you threaten somebody with violence just because they said something bad about a freaking sports team, you probably deserve whatever you get; whether it's a fist to the face, a ride in the back of a squad car, or a summons and complaint in a civil action. It's a game, people. Who gives a crap what somebody says about your team.

On the other hand, I kind of feel like if you hang out in the Twitterverse to begin with, you should probably expect to cross paths with some real losers.

It's a game, people. Who gives a crap what somebody says about your team.

It's much more than a game to most fans in the SEC, right, wrong or indifferent. Anyone who does not realize that does not have two brain cells in their head. And to my point, people are shot and killed over the outcome of an SEC sporting event. Which is a very sad commentary in and of itself.

Here's the thing...

If one of us Gamecock Ladies had been attacked via social media in the same manner after saying something not so nice about another team, EVERY one of you Gamecock Men would be jumping to our defense, saying that ladies shouldn't be spoken to in that manner. And yes, things being said were VERY vulgar, vile, degrading, and disrespectful. It wouldn't enter your minds to say "well you asked for it" or "women shouldn't speak on what they don't know" and the like.

The team a woman happens to pull for, or whether or not she's famous, should not determine if she is worthy of defense against such things, or that she shouldn't have been offended in the first place.

(And...I'd be willing to bet she's forgotten more about basketball than most of the men who responded to her hope to know in their lifetime.)

One should be able to walk down a street without getting harmed or killed but sadly people are killed or seroius harmed everyday for doing nothing but walking down the street. . All, I am saying is when a person from some fan base posts something that is preceived to be bad by other fans bases, watch out social media because here it comes. The bigger the celebrity the more harsh the barbs from social media. Just saying here, not talking about what should be but what is.

Oh btw, I'm not saying she doesn't have a right to call out those people that threatened her but am just saying was it the smart thing to do to say Arkansas was playing dirty in the first place. My gosh, talking about Arkansas playing dirty many people think the UK program is the dirtiest of the dirty.

This post was edited on 3/19 6:54 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

This post was edited on 3/19 6:58 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky
You should be able to post your opinion of a sporting event without being threatened with rape and bodily harm in response. This victim blaming is the equivalent of saying a rape victim shouldn't wear a short skirt because she's "poking the bear."

Really? Commenting on a ballgame makes you a whore, a c... And all the other vile terms some men toss out when a woman speaks her mind? The garbage spewed about schillings daughter is ok? I guess I should not be surprised since I often read degragatory language about periods, and vaginas and and other juvenile comments that belittle women in the comments posted Here.

Originally posted by wcocat:
Really? Commenting on a ballgame makes you a whore, a c... And all the other vile terms some men toss out when a woman speaks her mind? The garbage spewed about schillings daughter is ok? I guess I should not be surprised since I often read degragatory language about periods, and vaginas and and other juvenile comments that belittle women in the comments posted Here.
No, commenting on a ballgame in no way makes anyone a whore. However, when a person, be it a man, woman or child comments in a degrogatory manner about another team, especially a SEC team, on social media; there are more than likely going to be consequences in the form of outrageous, vile and unwarranted comments on social meadia from the fans who felt slandered.

It has nothing to do with the fact, it was a women or not. The other factor I think played into all of the uncalled for vulgar comments, etc is because Mrs Judd stated Arkansas was playing dirty. Most people, regardless of what school they support hate UK basketball because they think it is without a doubt the dirtiest program that ever existed. Whether this is true or not doesn't really matter, that is what the perception is with a lot of fans.

I live in NC and every UNC, Duke, WF and NCST fan is convinced that Coach Cal buys every player that ever played for him.

I think the overall hatred for the UK basketball program in general by a lot of people is what precipitated the uncalled for rash of hate, vulgar social media sent to Mrs. Judd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT