ADVERTISEMENT

What was your most memorable Christmas?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Please share with us that Christmas you will never forget as long as you live. It might have been that pony you saw in the pasture, you had always wanted, when you woke up Christmas morning or that T-Bird sitting in the drive-way that St. Nick left for you.

Or it could have been something funny like granny got some part of her anatomy caught in the washing machine.

Or it could be a very poignant memory of Christmas as in the first Christmas without your mother or dad. Maybe even a close friend that passed away or a break-up with that special someone that you wanted to marry. Or it could have been a loved one or close friend that found out they were cured of cancer.

It could possibly have been that obnoxious next door neighbor, like COE, you saw moving when you woke up Christmas morning. I know that would have made me happy. LOL!

My most memorable Christmas was the Christmas I spend with the girl that I had met just months before Christmas and she became my wife 18 months later and have been married to for 46 1/2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: nocdoc and ClemDent
2012 in Ubud, Bali. I rented a SWEET house for the family and we had a great staff that put up a Christmas tree for us, cocked an awesome meal and live entertainment. We sprinkled my mother in laws ashes into the river below us. We went for a run and all the little kids joined us and "chased" us with brooms. Kindness bridges language barriers.

First Christmas as a hospital chaplain. I was the designated chaplain for Christmas Day and night. First Christmas alone. It taught me a lesson in thankfulness. I may have been alone but I was surrounded by a hospital staff caring for those who were very sick and couldn’t be at home.

Come on now! Is no one in the Christmas spirit? We always have 3 or 4 pages of Christmas memories.

1980’s, don’t remember exact year, the pond at my parents’ house, in Blythewood, froze over. We tied a boat to a truck, on opposite sides of pond. Truck would take off, pulling boat across pond at lightning speed. A few of us nearly got killed. Mom made us stop after a mishap. Loads of fun!

Never really thought about it. Now seeing this thread has me thinking. But I can't focus on one memory. Lots of things popping in my head. Killing a pair of redheads one Christmas morning sticks out. The year I found out Santa isn't real pops up. The time I got my first shotgun over at my grandma's.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
1980’s, don’t remember exact year, the pond at my parents’ house, in Blythewood, froze over. We tied a boat to a truck, on opposite sides of pond. Truck would take off, pulling boat across pond at lightning speed. A few of us nearly got killed. Mom made us stop after a mishap. Loads of fun!
Boy, that sounds like a lot of fun, dangerous but lots of fun.

Never really thought about it. Now seeing this thread has me thinking. But I can't focus on one memory. Lots of things popping in my head. Killing a pair of redheads one Christmas morning sticks out. The year I found out Santa isn't real pops up. The time I got my first shotgun over at my grandma's.
What is killing a pair of redheads? A couple of girls that did you wrong? LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
When I was about 12 or 13 we did our Christmas thing on Christmas Eve. This particular year after all the gifts were exchanged I went to bed sad because my older brother had gotten a lot more/better gifts than me. But then the next morning after we were all up my parents handed me a note saying that a certain pony in my uncle's fence was now mine. I had been with the uncle when he bought it for my parents but had no idea it was mine, or why I had not been allowed to ride that particular pony in the days leading up to Christmas.
As an adult and overall my most memorable Christmas was when my oldest daughter was almost 2 years old. My ex wife and I were more exited than her about it and we actually woke her up to see her Christmas. Unfortunately, she was still sleepy and grumpy and after looking at it for a few minutes she went back to bed. But later, when she woke on her own it was much better. She got exited and it turned out great.

Since we are sharing adult memories also... The Christmas of 2016 was especially rough. I lost my job of almost 23 years that August and my wife and i were doing the best we could to keep food and a roof. We decided we would not buy presents for ourselves or family because we needed every dime we could muster for bills. Our families understood. I worked A temp job and we scrounged up a little money to buy my son A few things. It wasn't much but we wanted him to have a good Christmas. I will never forget the look on his face when he opened his gifts and told me " This is the best Christmas ever!!!". No amount of money can ever buy the happiness I felt after all the hardship we had gone through that year when he said that.

When I was 13 I got my first baitcasting reel. I asked for the specific model because I saw Bill Dance using it on TV. After Christmas break, I played sick to lay out of school so I could go outside and practice casting it while my parents were at work. I had to be ready for spring.

I got a shotgun at 16 that I still have at 51. I wouldn't sell that for $10K today. It's probably the reason I'm about deaf in my left ear.

Last edited:
Please share with us that Christmas you will never forget as long as you live. It might have been that pony you saw in the pasture, you had always wanted, when you woke up Christmas morning or that T-Bird sitting in the drive-way that St. Nick left for you.

Or it could have been something funny like granny got some part of her anatomy caught in the washing machine.

Or it could be a very poignant memory of Christmas as in the first Christmas without your mother or dad. Maybe even a close friend that passed away or a break-up with that special someone that you wanted to marry. Or it could have been a loved one or close friend that found out they were cured of cancer.

It could possibly have been that obnoxious next door neighbor, like COE, you saw moving when you woke up Christmas morning. I know that would have made me happy. LOL!

My most memorable Christmas was the Christmas I spend with the girl that I had met just months before Christmas and she became my wife 18 months later and have been married to for 46 1/2 years.
The first year where I reached the top position in my field and was able to buy my mom a Bose wave radio, my sister a digital camera, and my dad a set of golf clubs...he cried...I'll never forget it and he's passed on and I'll have those clubs til I die

Couple of years ago my wife and I flew to Nice, France and spent three weeks of Christmas and New Years in Valbonne, France and then back to Nice for a week before returning home. We were able to visit Monaco (gambled with the swells), Cannes, Antibes, and Grasse. We hiked in the French National forests when we weren’t out visiting somewhere on the Cotes d’azure. Drank wonderful Champagne and French wines every day. What a wonderful Christmas experience !

I married my beautiful wife on December 23 1973. It was the best Christmas present I ever had. The gifts I received that Christmas was remarkable and it has been a gift that keeps on giving. Also, in 2 years if I make it, we will celebrate 50 years of marriage at Christmas.
Boy, that was a great Christmas gift. We got married in May of 1975 so we've got a few more years to go before we reach our 50th year anniversary.

I married my beautiful wife on December 23 1973. It was the best Christmas present I ever had. The gifts I received that Christmas was remarkable and it has been a gift that keeps on giving. Also, in 2 years if I make it, we will celebrate 50 years of marriage at Christmas.
Congrats buddy. Happy for you, fellow Baby Boomer, because you seem to be a good guy, and, thus, very deserving.

When I was about 12 or 13 we did our Christmas thing on Christmas Eve. This particular year after all the gifts were exchanged I went to bed sad because my older brother had gotten a lot more/better gifts than me. But then the next morning after we were all up my parents handed me a note saying that a certain pony in my uncle's fence was now mine. I had been with the uncle when he bought it for my parents but had no idea it was mine, or why I had not been allowed to ride that particular pony in the days leading up to Christmas.
As an adult and overall my most memorable Christmas was when my oldest daughter was almost 2 years old. My ex wife and I were more exited than her about it and we actually woke her up to see her Christmas. Unfortunately, she was still sleepy and grumpy and after looking at it for a few minutes she went back to bed. But later, when she woke on her own it was much better. She got exited and it turned out great.
That was a memorable Christmas!

Reactions: importcock
28 Years ago I lost my mom to cancer. Took her to the hospital Christmas Day and she passed the 26th with all my family at her bedside. I’ve made sure Christmas is and always has been special for my children, but for me it’s never been the same.
I can sympathize with you there, I lost my mom November 19th, 1965. It wasn't Christmas but it was close enough to Christmas to ruin Christmas because Christmas was always special to me and her. And to this day, and I will be 77 next month, my wife and I always make Christmas a very big event in our household.

Since we are sharing adult memories also... The Christmas of 2016 was especially rough. I lost my job of almost 23 years that August and my wife and i were doing the best we could to keep food and a roof. We decided we would not buy presents for ourselves or family because we needed every dime we could muster for bills. Our families understood. I worked A temp job and we scrounged up a little money to buy my son A few things. It wasn't much but we wanted him to have a good Christmas. I will never forget the look on his face when he opened his gifts and told me " This is the best Christmas ever!!!". No amount of money can ever buy the happiness I felt after all the hardship we had gone through that year when he said that.
Well, that just shows you people and the Lord's Birthday are the most important part of Christmas. With very little money you make a very special Christmas for your son. I hope things are much better for you and your family now.

Reactions: F-86F
The first year where I reached the top position in my field and was able to buy my mom a Bose wave radio, my sister a digital camera, and my dad a set of golf clubs...he cried...I'll never forget it and he's passed on and I'll have those clubs til I die
What a wonderful experience.

Couple of years ago my wife and I flew to Nice, France and spent three weeks of Christmas and New Years in Valbonne, France and then back to Nice for a week before returning home. We were able to visit Monaco (gambled with the swells), Cannes, Antibes, and Grasse. We hiked in the French National forests when we weren’t out visiting somewhere on the Cotes d’azure. Drank wonderful Champagne and French wines every day. What a wonderful Christmas experience !
Gosh, talk about your "high stepping" Christmas'. LOL!

Reactions: SCspur1
Three come to mind:
2010. We had just moved into our house that Thanksgiving. The stress of moving had dissipated. We had a bigger, flatter yard with lots of trees and a wooded lot behind us. It was a white Christmas. That was awesome.

2013. We decided as a family to take about 90% of the money we would have spent on Christmas and give it to charity. Our boys were 10 and 12. That was a nice, uncomplicated Christmas morning.

1977. (Y'all may not like this.) Clemson was on its way to its first bowl game since 1959. It was a total Clemson Christmas... shirts, shoes, "Death Valley Disco"... everything. I still have a lot of that bling.

Three come to mind:
2010. We had just moved into our house that Thanksgiving. The stress of moving had dissipated. We had a bigger, flatter yard with lots of trees and a wooded lot behind us. It was a white Christmas. That was awesome.

2013. We decided as a family to take about 90% of the money we would have spent on Christmas and give it to charity. Our boys were 10 and 12. That was a nice, uncomplicated Christmas morning.

1977. (Y'all may not like this.) Clemson was on its way to its first bowl game since 1959. It was a total Clemson Christmas... shirts, shoes, "Death Valley Disco"... everything. I still have a lot of that bling.
I was at that 1977 Clemson Gator Bowl. I was visiting relatives in Jacksonville and decided to go to the game. I bought tickets outside for a dirt cheap price and ended up with a great seat. I loved watching Matt Kavanaugh destroy the Tigers that day. It’s still a good memory. Headed to St. Augustine for a few days afterward.

Too many memorable ones to pick just one. My kids’ first Christmases are a definite. My parents got divorced when I was around 5, but they both made Christmas great for my brother and me. Christmas Eve night was at my Grandparents house on my Mama’s side of the family, and Christmas night was at my Grandparents on my Daddy’s side. Both get togethers were awesome, with food, family, gifts and fireworks! Great times and great memories for sure. I miss those days and my family members who have passed away.

Reactions: chief2791 and TAV31
Memory is not what it used to be, but I got a football one year and my brother and I got burgundy Schwinn 10 speed bikes another year.

I was at that 1977 Clemson Gator Bowl. I was visiting relatives in Jacksonville and decided to go to the game. I bought tickets outside for a dirt cheap price and ended up with a great seat. I loved watching Matt Kavanaugh destroy the Tigers that day. It’s still a good memory. Headed to St. Augustine for a few days afterward.
Boy, what a way to ruin my great memory! I was there, but we must've seen different games 'cause I thought it sucked.

• Haha
Pretty much every Christmas where I was young enough to believe Santa was real and had no worries in the world. The joy of being a kid.

Now Decembers are stressful 100% due to work. People finagling to be off which make a higher workload. Year after year I find myself just wanting the month to be over with.

Last edited:
Reactions: chief2791
Pretty much every Christmas where I was young enough to believe Santa was real and had no worries in the world. The joy of being a kid.

Now Decembers are stressful 100% due to work. People finagling to be off which make a higher workload. Year after year I find myself just wanting the month to be over with.
Being a kid in the US at Christmas is the best job in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT