ADVERTISEMENT

What we’ve got with Muschamp...

sickoftryingtothinkofausername

Oct 29, 2008
Muschamp was said to be a great recruiter and a great defensive coach. Yet Spurrier had our classes in the top 10 and some of his defenses were downright great. Muschamp has our classes in the 20s- Lou Holtz territory- and his defenses are atrocious- also Lou Holtz territory. If you need a comparison to the Holtz defenses, compare this years Climpsun game to the 63-17 game and this year’s Ole Miss game vs the Ole Miss game that immediately preceded the 63-17. Very little improvement, though 56-35 is slightly better than 63-17 and barely beating Ole Miss in a shootout is slightly better than barely losing to Ole Miss in a shootout.

Under Spurrier, we had clearly passed Climpsun and aside from the Garcia-Peach Bowl, it would’ve been far beneath Spurrier to lose to an ACC team. Under Lou Holtz, we were clearly behind Climpsun and got embarrassed by UVA in 2002. Here we are again, embarrassed by Climpsun year after year and embarrassed by the likes of UVA.

Lou Holtz was a complete anti-disciplinarian. And here we’ve got Muschamp with a star player quitting on the team and the coach actually welcoming him to hang out on the sidelines. That’s very Lou Holtz-like. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t believe Spurrier would’ve ever allowed Deebo to hang out on the sideline after quitting the team.

So there’s pretty where we are....we stepped up from Lou Holtz to Spurrier and back down to Lou Holtz again. If you think the future is remotely bright under Muschamp, you must’ve just got here

I agree Spurrier got unduly frustrated with a team far below his standards and shouldn’t have handled it the way he did. But what do you call that “performance” today, you telling me that’s not a team that’s quit? As much as I disagree with what’s Spurrier did, at least he stopped collecting a check when he stopped putting out. Muschamp actually accepted a RAISE

You are never going to have another Spurrier. Just deal with that and compare Muschamp to coaches that you can realistically have coach here.

Another Spurrier, maybe not. But there are PLENTY of far better coaches that would’ve come here. Ray Tanner, who’s background is as a BASEBALL COACH, grabbed the first guy with a name he’d heard of. Hell, there are coaches in FCS right now who would’ve been better hires than Muschamp

Another Spurrier, maybe not. But there are PLENTY of far better coaches that would’ve come here. Ray Tanner, who’s background is as a BASEBALL COACH, grabbed the first guy with a name he’d heard of. Hell, there are coaches in FCS right now who would’ve been better hires than Muschamp

That's fair to say there are other better coaches if you believe that. Compare Muschamp to specific ones of them. The constant comparing Muschamp to Spurrier, a coach you will never have again, is pointless.

If he would just stick to recruiting and make a few big time hires for Off and Def Coordinators he'd have a chance to really build something here. But he won't and our so called AD will do nothing but accept mediocricy 6,7 maybe 8 wins a year at best.

That's fair to say there are other better coaches if you believe that. Compare Muschamp to specific ones of them. The constant comparing Muschamp to Spurrier, a coach you will never have again, is pointless.

I don’t see how it’s pointless to compare him to what we had less than 5 years ago. You can say we’ll never have Spurrier again. It would also be fair to say we’ll never have Lou Holtz again either, yet it appears that’s exactly what we’ve got right now. Hell, if we’re taking other teams’ castoffs, Les Miles would be an improvement over Muschamp

If he would just stick to recruiting and make a few big time hires for Off and Def Coordinators he'd have a chance to really build something here. But he won't and our so called AD will do nothing but accept mediocricy 6,7 maybe 8 wins a year at best.[/QUOTE

His recruiting results ain’t nothing to brag about here either . I think 6 - 8 wins is our ceiling

I agree that it's time for everyone to move on from Spurrier, whether they like him or not. It's over and done with and he ain't coming back. But it's looking like Muschamp isn't going to be the guy to get it done here. Specific coach who will get it done? I don't know, but it's not my job to know and it's irrelevant right now because our administration isn't going to get rid of him this year. But I hope they have some names on their list this time next year.

I agree Spurrier got unduly frustrated with a team far below his standards and shouldn’t have handled it the way he did. But what do you call that “performance” today, you telling me that’s not a team that’s quit? As much as I disagree with what’s Spurrier did, at least he stopped collecting a check when he stopped putting out. Muschamp actually accepted a RAISE
Come on now, nobody actually refuses a raise. I have never heard of someone refusing a raise.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I wish y’all would get off the Spurrier deal, if it wasn’t for him , we wouldn’t have beat Clemmons for 5 straight or have any double digit win season, we would still be happy for 7 win season and a bowl destination, get off his ass

I don’t see how it’s pointless to compare him to what we had less than 5 years ago. You can say we’ll never have Spurrier again. It would also be fair to say we’ll never have Lou Holtz again either, yet it appears that’s exactly what we’ve got right now. Hell, if we’re taking other teams’ castoffs, Les Miles would be an improvement over Muschamp

more humorous too Laughing

Come on now, nobody actually refuses a raise. I have never heard of someone refusing a raise.
Actually Dabo demanded his raise be spread to his assistants and that's how he's landed who he's landed. He's making money now but there was a time he wasn't making what our OC makes.

Reactions: Zann77
The year was a disappointment considering preseason hype. But please look in our history for the highest win totals over a 3-year span that don’t include the 3 straight 11 win years.

The quality of teams on our schedule right now are as high as they have ever been with CU and UGA with aTm probably on the rise. Our two-deep in the next couple years will tell the story. We will take lumps again next year sans Jake Bentley making a HUGE jump because of the schedule, but excuses are gone after that. The incoming class needs to be a hit and make us competitive with the big guys on the schedule. I think this class will define this coaching staff.

Oh and we need to beat Kentucky...

Are you crazy? Miles may have somewhat underachieved at LSU, but he can still point to many good solid seasons. What strong season can Muschamp point to?

Les Miles is not a good coach. Any seasons he had success were due to very expensive and good coordinators. He is an idiot. I mean truly. Muschamp may never make a great head coach, but him in one of those Escape Rooms where you have to find your way out, he eventually would. Les Miles would die there. Even with hints. Lots of hints.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The coach that gets South Carolina to the Promised Land and keeps us there will be both a great coach (we've proven no other kind can win here) and young when he starts. In other words, we are going to have to capture lightning in a jug.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The coach that gets South Carolina to the Promised Land and keeps us there will be both a great coach (we've proven no other kind can win here) and young when he starts. In other words, we are going to have to capture lightning in a jug.

Problem is when that guy does that, can you keep Notre Dame, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, or Southern Cal from poaching him?

If we quit being cheap and pony up some first rate money, then yes.

If SC gives first rate money but Ohio State or Southern Cal does as well, are you still confident you keep him? I think your best shot is someone with strong ties to SC, maybe that played here or has some other close connection.

Uhhh...,,Spurrier quit himself

I don't blame Spurrier for quitting... The man was in his 90's at the time...

I blame Tanner for not moving on the article and talk about 2 or more 3 years during that 11-2 run... I think it was the second 11-2 season...

He should have done his job and brought in a top notch coach and told Spurrier that his last year will be the 2012 season, instead of hoping he would stick around a couple more years....

That's a difference between an AD who knows how to be an AD and a rookie AD that let's the football coach run all over him...

Problem is when that guy does that, can you keep Notre Dame, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, or Southern Cal from poaching him?
I think we'll need to cross that bridge when we come to it. But the league affiliation and the constituency potential here is great enough that I believe the coach who turns it would most likely make a home here.

If SC gives first rate money but Ohio State or Southern Cal does as well, are you still confident you keep him? I think your best shot is someone with strong ties to SC, maybe that played here or has some other close connection.
Only one way to find out. We kept Spurrier when Bama came calling.

Are you sure SOS stopped his checks?
I did not know that.

Everyone is down on Muschamp but I think he is doing a good job so far. No, 7-6 isn't where we need to be but I don't think that is what we are going to be. Outside of record, I saw a lot of this year that has me optimistic for the future. I think our defense is going to be good The secondary has some future nfl players and the line has some stud coming in. LB needs help but hopefully that is addressed soon. Offense, other than the bowl game, was a big improvement this year.

Besides, think of the headwinds he is dealing with. He took a three win team and has posted three straight bowl seasons. He is pulling in good recruiting classes when the in state talent level hasn't been as good as years past and our two biggest rivals in the immediate area are at their historical peaks. Also, a few teams in our divisible may be down but others are better than they have been in the past.

I think a coach needs at least five years to judge their performance unless they are an absolute train wreck which Muschamp is not. Starting over with a new coach will just set us further behind Georgia and Clemson.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Everyone is down on Muschamp but I think he is doing a good job so far. No, 7-6 isn't where we need to be but I don't think that is what we are going to be. Outside of record, I saw a lot of this year that has me optimistic for the future. I think our defense is going to be good The secondary has some future nfl players and the line has some stud coming in. LB needs help but hopefully that is addressed soon. Offense, other than the bowl game, was a big improvement this year.

Besides, think of the headwinds he is dealing with. He took a three win team and has posted three straight bowl seasons. He is pulling in good recruiting classes when the in state talent level hasn't been as good as years past and our two biggest rivals in the immediate area are at their historical peaks. Also, a few teams in our divisible may be down but others are better than they have been in the past.

I think a coach needs at least five years to judge their performance unless they are an absolute train wreck which Muschamp is not. Starting over with a new coach will just set us further behind Georgia and Clemson.
Honestly I think the 5 year minimum is going away. The NFL had a whole string of cosches fired yesterday that were on the job 1-3 years. Some colleges are firing cosches after 2 years because it seems like whatever the NFL does trickles down to college eventually.

If he would just stick to recruiting and make a few big time hires for Off and Def Coordinators he'd have a chance to really build something here. But he won't and our so called AD will do nothing but accept mediocricy 6,7 maybe 8 wins a year at best.

At the end of the day, this is really the crux of the matter. Well said and written.

Honestly I think the 5 year minimum is going away. The NFL had a whole string of cosches fired yesterday that were on the job 1-3 years. Some colleges are firing cosches after 2 years because it seems like whatever the NFL does trickles down to college eventually.

It may be going away but it doesn't make it right. Take a look at some of the teams with revolving coaches. They are in constant rebuilding mode.

It may be going away but it doesn't make it right. Take a look at some of the teams with revolving coaches. They are in constant rebuilding mode.
When a coach is clearly not getting it done, keeping him around longer can do more damage to the program.

A lot of Clemson fans wanted Dabo gone after their WVU disaster. Just think if they fired Dabo at that point they probably wouldn't be where they are today. After that disaster who would have thought that CU would go onto the CFP 4 years in a row? I'm willing to give Muschamp a couple more years. Remember that SOS quit and also his staff saw the writing on the wall and quit recruiting as well. Recruiting has gotten better and if Muschamp can't get it done that will give the next coach a better base.

Reactions: bostonsc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT