ADVERTISEMENT

What we learned

Poultry King

Sep 15, 2008
D has talent and a schemer now...MAJOR adjustments at HT. 0 scored in 2nd half.

OL better than most projected

Mitch capable...needs to settle down now and be a leader

Debo and Googer will come along

If we can be 4-2 by end of lsu game, we have a good season brewing.
They will be better by end of year.

D has talent? Maybe I am confused but did not usc's defense give up major rushing yardage against a poorly coached unc offense? And did not unc's returning starter at Qb have at least three brain farts? Your D is better than last year by much.

Defense played zone defense first half which allowed NC to move the ball freely. Second half we played a more match up defense and put more pressure on the offense. Great adjustment

Reactions: nikolas22
D has talent? Maybe I am confused but did not usc's defense give up major rushing yardage against a poorly coached unc offense? And did not unc's returning starter at Qb have at least three brain farts? Your D is better than last year by much.
13 points that all that matter.

OL good? I was not that impressed.

For such a poorly coached offense and QB, Williams sure did a great job of torching the ACC for over 3000 yards last year. I guess he was just unlucky tonight.

We've heard it all before from your kind. If they hadn't turned it over they would have won..blah, blah, blah. Typical Clemson fan/ACC excuses.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
For such a poorly coached offense and QB, Williams sure did a great job of torching the ACC for over 3000 yards last year. I guess he was just unlucky tonight.

We've heard it all before from your kind. If they hadn't turned it over they would have won..blah, blah, blah. Typical Clemson fan/ACC excuses.
Dabo will tell u they beat themselves.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
What I learned is Connor Mitch has very good arm strength.

I see many offensive positives out of tonight's game.

Defensively we were better. Not by much though. Our tackling still isn't good but I liked how our D played hard.

What I learned is that it took a total implosion of the UNC QB for USC to win that game ... thats the bottom line ... hate to break it to you boys but your in for a long long season

Reactions: pjs1087
What I learned is that it took a total implosion of the UNC QB for USC to win that game ... thats the bottom line ... hate to break it to you boys but your in for a long long season
LOL! Had nothing to do with the pressure we put on their QB and our coverage in the red zone. It was all on the implosion of the UNC QB. Seems legit. Amazing how we get so lucky all the time with ACC QBs imploding when they play us. I wonder why that is?

The real bottom line, Carolina is 12-4 vs the ACC in the last 10 seasons.

Our tackling still isn't good but I liked how our D played hard.
I respectfully disagree. Many times I saw our LB's 1 on 1...and they wrapped up. And my next thought was, "That would've been a huge gain."

And yes, they played with pride and effort. So heartening.

are you and the holes coastal or atlantic?

are crab legs in season now?

thank you

Huh? Is this English in Tater town?

Were they UNC brain farts or good plays by our defense? How can you tell the difference? I saw two out of the three were plays where our defenders took a step towards the inside guy and cut back to make a big play on the ball. Blame it on the UNC QB if it makes you feel better, but that is what makes a defensive player special.. ONE of the INTS, it looked like the QB just didn't see Moore... But Moore still had to MAKE the play.. And he did.

Also, what about the plays where he didn't let his brain "fart" on him, and held the ball? Was it the QB's fault that our DL was all OVER him on those plays too? Maybe it was just GOOD DEFENSE... I know that is scary to think about, but good defense is what drove this team's success for the past.. HALF A DECADE or so, and it is not inconceivable to think we had ONE bad year due to extreme attrition and fixed the problems now, is it? Again, I know you taters don't want to think it is possible, but we put pressure on the QB, stuffed the run a few times when we needed to, and made some big plays in the pass D as well tonight.., it kinda looked like we frustrated their O LITERALLY TO TEARS, and I don't think it was a mistake or one or two lucky plays that took it to that point!

Believe whatever let's you sleep tonight buddy, but an unproven unit made some huge plays tonight, gained a LOT of confidence, and will only improve as the season progresses.

I respectfully disagree. Many times I saw our LB's 1 on 1...and they wrapped up. And my next thought was, "That would've been a huge gain."

And yes, they played with pride and effort. So heartening.

I have to agree as well. I noticed that our tackling seemed to be improved. I did notice several plays where our guys tried going for the strip rather than wrapping up. All in all, a positive effort.

What I learned is we won the freaking game. I was there till the bitter end. I am sure of a lot of you were not there posting your nonsense. We gave up yards, no doubt, but we looked liked the bend don't break Ellis outfit. No, we are not world beaters, but at least we have the balls to play a power 5 team to open the season and we won. Mitch did not impress no surprise, he will get better. Point is, give the team a chance we will roll UK next week

Guys had steady and strong effort the whole game...even when things weren't clicking I didn't see a drop off in effort

Overall I was pleased especially with the second half D and the adjustments made which is something we didnt see last year. Here is my take.

SOS cant make that same play calling mistake again with game on the line.
Our secondary should not play zone again until they know how to.
Shon Carson deserves more play time....I think the light came on.
I was im pressed with Orths poise and he may be as good a passer as Mitch.
Mitch is our answer at zone read now Sos needs to let him run it...but can he hold up?
Mitch needs some weight and muscle.
I thought Dline did fairly well for first game especially getting pressure.
Linebackers did well especially Moore
CBs and DBs still a bit slack
Oline plaed much better than expected....grade B
RBs are a slight dissapointment especially Williams recieving skills. Carson should start.
WRs dissapoint but should sort out soon. We need a big possession reciever.
Cooper is all world.
Adams had an ok game at TE but not playing his potential yet and thats dissapointing.
Special teams is great.
Conditioning seems much much improved.
Overall C+ game and we won :)

I have to agree as well. I noticed that our tackling seemed to be improved. I did notice several plays where our guys tried going for the strip rather than wrapping up. All in all, a positive effort.
Overall tackling has improved, but Gurley and Diggs still missed several open field tackles.

How many sacks did we have? I think we had 4. How many did UNC have? The offense was a mess, but the defense stepped up at crunch time. Something last year's defense never accomplished. We finally have a pass rush!!!

Offense has weapons...it's up to the coaches to put them in the right spots and make the right calls.

Defensively, we are night and day from last year to this. We can defend the run, which is HUGE in the SEC. If our DBs get their fingers out of their backsides, we may finish the season 5th-7th in the SEC...

Special Teams held us down...that's refreshing also.

Carson should start over Williams...because we need a change of pace back. Scat back FTW! Reminds me of Lattimore, Shaw and Ellington...and Mitch needs to learn that his legs are just as important as his arm...

Offense has weapons...it's up to the coaches to put them in the right spots and make the right calls.

Defensively, we are night and day from last year to this. We can defend the run, which is HUGE in the SEC. If our DBs get their fingers out of their backsides, we may finish the season 5th-7th in the SEC...

Special Teams held us down...that's refreshing also.

Carson should start over Williams...because we need a change of pace back. Scat back FTW! Reminds me of Lattimore, Shaw and Ellington...and Mitch needs to learn that his legs are just as important as his arm...
Heck, there was much to enjoy tonight, Mitch is no Beecher, no deer in headlights type, and he can run, we be fine

I'd be careful nolefeorge. UFw will lose at least 4 games this year. That is hard to do in the acc. The creminoles have more holes than dunkin donuts.

Not sure you can defend the run yet. UNC had 6.3 YPC, which includes the negative sack yardage. On true designed runs, the total is probably more like 7 or 8 YPC. That's not going to get it done, especially considering Fedora was too stupid to give more of those carries to Elijah Hood.

Funny we have FSU and clemson reps clamoring to put in their $ .02 cents - FSU opens with the Texas State BULLS, THE SOUTH FLORIDA somethings, the boston college eagles, then an open date before playing WAKE FOREST!!!! H%ll - fsu doesn't ever play a REAL GAME until the middle of October ... pansey a$$ league.
Same crap for clemson ... d2 then d2 then unranked lou then OFF a week before THEY play a 'real' game.

If my team waited that long to actually compete I suppose I'd be trolling, too - looking for something to do, EMBARRASSED by all the grade schools my team had scheduled.

'Strength of Schedule" ... the UNDEFEATED champion of the ACC given their pansey-a$$ schedule strength wouldn't make the playoffs over a 2-loss SEC champion 'cause whether that team was 'bama or lsu or georgia or South Carolina those 2-losses will have been 'in-conference'.

FSU's 6'6" thief is gone .... you're playing a QB who couldn't keep his job at ND - clemson ain't got squat on the o-line, its "captain" has 1-career start ... NEITHER of you are squat ... you deserve each other - and NOBODY anywhere in America cares about ACC football. NOBODY!!!

When the freaks graduate you go back into your holes. Bye-BYE!!! Goliath is gone!!! So are YOU!!! - bunch of freaks. NASTY a$$ freaks. Eugh!!!! Phew!!!! NASTY!!!!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
This thread is worth it for 75CarolinaFan's signature video alone.

As far as the game goes.
  • Connor Mitch stat line left even Maty Mauk shaking his head. He's not exactly the other Connor.
  • I have a hard time understanding how anyone can put down your D for a 13 point effort and a shutout 2nd half. To ask for more in the first game of the season is so greedy that even Gordon Gekko would blush.
  • If the offense doesn't get any better, there will be a lot of pressure on that D and it will wear down over the course of the season.
  • Spurrier may be old, but he's still a ball coach.

Reactions: Tenn"cock
Not sure you can defend the run yet. UNC had 6.3 YPC, which includes the negative sack yardage. On true designed runs, the total is probably more like 7 or 8 YPC. That's not going to get it done, especially considering Fedora was too stupid to give more of those carries to Elijah Hood.

hey tater, lets see how your depleted D plays against WOOFord tomorrow. If they average 5 or more ypc, what will you be saying about your defense???

Funny we have FSU and clemson reps clamoring to put in their $ .02 cents - FSU opens with the Texas State BULLS, THE SOUTH FLORIDA somethings, the boston college eagles, then an open date before playing WAKE FOREST!!!! H%ll - fsu doesn't ever play a REAL GAME until the middle of October ... pansey a$$ league.
Same crap for clemson ... d2 then d2 then unranked lou then OFF a week before THEY play a 'real' game.

If my team waited that long to actually compete I suppose I'd be trolling, too - looking for something to do, EMBARRASSED by all the grade schools my team had scheduled.

'Strength of Schedule" ... the UNDEFEATED champion of the ACC given their pansey-a$$ schedule strength wouldn't make the playoffs over a 2-loss SEC champion 'cause whether that team was 'bama or lsu or georgia or South Carolina those 2-losses will have been 'in-conference'.

FSU's 6'6" thief is gone .... you're playing a QB who couldn't keep his job at ND - clemson ain't got squat on the o-line, its "captain" has 1-career start ... NEITHER of you are squat ... you deserve each other - and NOBODY anywhere in America cares about ACC football. NOBODY!!!

When the freaks graduate you go back into your holes. Bye-BYE!!! Goliath is gone!!! So are YOU!!! - bunch of freaks. NASTY a$$ freaks. Eugh!!!! Phew!!!! NASTY!!!!
Citadel < Wofford
UCF just lost to FIU last night, so I don't think you can make much of an argument that they are any better than App St (who is FBS by the way... not sure you got the memo that they left the FCS before last year)
UNC < Notre Dame
Clemson > USC

The only non-conference game on your schedule that is tougher than Clemson's is Clemson.

Also, if you don't think @ Louisville is a real game, particularly on a short week, then bless your heart.

hey tater, lets see how your depleted D plays against WOOFord tomorrow. If they average 5 or more ypc, what will you be saying about your defense???
We'll see how it goes. However, comparing rushing averages for a triple option team and a more conventional offense is comparing apples to oranges. The better comparison will be against Louisville in a couple of weeks. Time will tell...

We'll see how it goes. However, comparing rushing averages for a triple option team and a more conventional offense is comparing apples to oranges. The better comparison will be against Louisville in a couple of weeks. Time will tell...

already making excuses ... dang, SCARED of wofford!!!!

1.OL played better than expected...gave QB plenty of time and opened rushing lanes.
2. The football gods were on our side..their QB should have just handed us ball on those picks...on 2 of them...none of his players in sight. Fumbles we got back..fortunate...Missed pick 6 thrown by Mitch
3. Coaching staff was unorganized...plays getting in to late...signals to QB not clear...right players not on the field.
4. Were we playing backyard football...gimmicky backfield play..grabbing at straws to see if something works...looked desperate..if u have no confidence in Mitch then just put Orth in. IF you need a guy that can throw and run put Nunez in.

We are in the SEC not some Mickey Mouse pee wee intermural league..lets start acting as such...that goes for coaching staff and players...last night's performance gained us NO RESPECT.

Citadel < Wofford
UCF just lost to FIU last night, so I don't think you can make much of an argument that they are any better than App St (who is FBS by the way... not sure you got the memo that they left the FCS before last year)
UNC < Notre Dame
Clemson > USC

The only non-conference game on your schedule that is tougher than Clemson's is Clemson.

Also, if you don't think @ Louisville is a real game, particularly on a short week, then bless your heart.

It won't be a SHORT WEEK for Louisville , too?
Besides, Louisville opens against Auburn then Houston ... they ain't playing patsy's like clemson

citadel ='s wofford? 21,000 seats vs. 8,500 seats for football ... 3500 students 91% male vs. 1580 undergrads 45% male.
SC has TWENTY-FIVE high schools larger than Wofford.

pitty-pat schedule ... clemson is an afterthought. nobody even knows your name.

In 'random tests' administered in LA, Chicago and NYC when shown the 'tiger paw' < 10% recognized it as the 'clemson' symbol ... more people than that 'guessed' it was the symbol for the Cincinnati Bengals!!! HAHAHA!!!

Nearly 70% recognized the palmetto tree and quarter moon was SC while over 50% recognized the SC 'Gamecock' as being the symbol for the Univ. of SC.

clemson is LOST up there in 'dem thar woods!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT