ADVERTISEMENT

What were you doing on 9/11/01 thread?

Like many, I watched it on TV for a while wondering what air traffic controller could screw up that bad, then saw the second plane hit, said a word I almost never say, and then called my wife at work. No one in her office was aware and so she told everyone. Not knowing one of the other people in her office had a son who worked in the World Trade Center, who obviously became pretty frantic. The lady called the son and got voicemail. Fortunately after twenty frantic minutes the lady was able to get through to her daughter-in-law who knew the son was away (out of NY state) on a sales call. So the lady was much relieved, although it turns out many in the son's office died although he was safely away.

Like many, I watched it on TV for a while wondering what air traffic controller could screw up that bad, then saw the second plane hit, said a word I almost never say, and then called my wife at work. No one in her office was aware and so she told everyone. Not knowing one of the other people in her office had a son who worked in the World Trade Center, who obviously became pretty frantic. The lady called the son and got voicemail. Fortunately after twenty frantic minutes the lady was able to get through to her daughter-in-law who knew the son was away (out of NY state) on a sales call. So the lady was much relieved, although it turns out many in the son's office died although he was safely away.

I was on my way to Dallas. Had just gotten off the Columbia flight to Atlanta and had boarded my plane to DFW... Just as I was being seated the Captain came on the intercom and asked that we get our belongings and exit the plane. Once on the concourse we could see the TV;s and the first tower on fire.

I went to the Crown Room on the concourse and was told all planes were being told to land and no flights would be taking off. By that time my son (who lives in Atlanta) had gotten in touch with me.
I got on the Marta and met my son uptown, got his SUV and drove home.

Listening to the radio on my drive from Atlanta to Columbia was sad and at the same time just pissed me off.

I watched it all at home and was very late for work. I went to the post office and then I went to work and didn't say a word to anyone. I went home and cried. I will never be able to get the image of The Falling Man out of my head. Then again, maybe I shouldn't.

I was on a rare business trip where I drove instead of flew, in Raleigh. Our office was in the flight path of the airport and remembered how eerie to see no air traffic. My company at the time was an Israeli company and I recall how the Israeli nationals were disgusted at the live shot from Tehran or somewhere where the population was dancing in the streets, the Taliban passing out candy to the children. Trump caught some flak for suggesting he saw people dancing in the streets of Newark...............I've always thought this national news feed was what he actually saw.

I was at work that day, at a previous place of employment, which was a fairly small private company near the LM dam. After the first attack, the company owner went home and brought back a small tv (old CRT tv, this was before the LED TV's of now). I kept stepping into the breakroom for updates. That was a pretty somber, eye opening day. It pointed out that we are not as safe here in the US as we thought we were.

Getting ready to travel down to Hilton Head from Asheville with my boss for a sales meeting. We were glued to the radio all the way, getting updates.

I was in Clovis New Mexico; I had just gotten to work. They asked me if I had seen what just happened. I said, "I don't even own a TV yet. I'm just an E-2...plus, I walk to work." I worked 20 hours that day; taking accountability, providing security and doing a whole bunch of paperwork.

I was at work- a friend of mine that used to work with me called & said "turn on the tv!"....he knew we had a 19 inch tv in the breakroom. Couldn't believe it- what's the word- "surreal"? ......the fact that it happened on American soil in NYC seemed unfathomable. My kids were elementary school age. I was worried for our country and my family. Even though we were in SC, it felt like it happened down the street.

I remember my whole day at work. There was no work done.

We were in a routine executive meeting when someone came in and told us about the second plane. We all looked at each other and thought we were going to have a war.

We called our New York office to check on them. They were still waiting to hear from some. Shortly afterwards we dismissed everyone from work. I went by the bank, withdrew some cash, and headed home and got glued to the tv.

After the 2nd plane hit I met with The Executive Director of our agency, the department directors and we discussed securing the main office, the satellite offices and running the transit fleet on an emergency schedule. Rest of the day we sat around the TV on call.

Just walked into class under the coliseum (the old mass comm. school was there) The first plane had hit. Watched the second hit from a TV that was brought into the classroom. I had no idea what was going on until I got there. Watched for 30 minutes or so and went home. My next class was canceled. Sat around the whole day glued to the tv.

I was at work when a co-worker told me. I couldn't get through to any mainstream news websites due to all the internet traffic, but a co-worker told about a website that only posts headlines with links to stories for a lot of major news outlets. That's how I got the news the rest of the morning until someone found a radio in their office. The next few days with gorgeous blue skies and not a plane to be seen or heard was surreal.

I was sitting in my "comfy chair," recuperating from sinus surgery. I watched the entire thing.

Was at home on my computer with my 13 month old son. My wife had taken our cat to the vet and from the vet's office she called, when I got off the computer(dial-up). Turned on the TV and watched all day very sad and very irritated. Told my wife to go pick up our daughter from high school. Was sure she was safe but it was reassuring to have our family together.

Was headed to SC History class at USC at 9:30 Going into the class, we had just heard that the first plane hit, and everyone just assumed it was a small Cesna/accident. Got out at 10:45 and the world had changed. Got together with a large group of friends in the Russell House and we watched the news (place was slammed, dead silence).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT