ADVERTISEMENT

What Will Muschamp said after the Florida loss

C

Collyn Taylor

--Starts by saying the coaches need to put players in better situations to be successful. They didn't do that today.

--They need to find a way to throw the football better. They've been inconsistent in that area the last few weeks. Florida was loading the box to stop the run and they have to be able to take advantage of that. They took shots and didn't hit on them.

--Team moved the ball well on their first drive and defensively they gave up a power play for that 75-yard touchdown. They had that touchdown pass and they misfit it.

"They made the plays in the end and we didn't. That's on me."

Injury report: https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/muschamp-updates-rico-dowdle-injury

--AJ Turner is back to running back and has been for about two weeks. He'd be the No. 3 behind Feaster and Denson if Dowdle can't go. He's been dealing with a hamstring injury and that was a reason they didn't play him Saturday.

--Muschamp said he doesn't know why he got the unsportsmanlike conduct call. He was very livid about the officiating in that game.

“It’s not my job to judge. Drop it on my feet next time. I’m not going to comment on anything else. Don’t go 40 yards away and drop a flag, how about that?”

--Gamecocks were inconsistent in the pass game some because of protection issues, and they had "some drops for the first time this season, I believe." Said they have to throw and catch the ball better. Consistency is the issue there. They can't rely heavily on the run all the time and expect to win.

--Ryan Hilinski was healthy. They wouldn't have played him if he wasn't cleared by the medical staff. Asked about his accuracy after the first drive, said it's not all on him. They dropped a few passes that should have been caught and had some protection breakdowns that didn't help him.

--Muschamp asked about a "sky judge" official and said: "I have no comment."

--Players are fine. Said it's on the coaches now to figure out how to be more consistent in the pass game. They're running the ball well but they need to be better in the pass game.

--On Florida's fourth down conversion, Javon Kinlaw got a lot of pressure. They had good coverage but Trask threw a good ball and they needed to find a way to "get the ball off the receiver in that situation."

--Muschamp asked if there's some good lessons to take from today being in position to win late. He was terse in his answer.

"No."

--Tavien Feaster and Mon Denson have done a good job in their opportunities. They tell him all the time it's a long season and he'll get opportunities throughout. He got those today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News