ADVERTISEMENT

Whats latest on d-line coach?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
We have our biggest d-line recruit (Sorrells) left on the board visiting this weekend so you would think we would have someone in place for his visit. Keep hearing a hire is "immenent" but other than that not eharing much. Will we have someone by today or tomorrow if anyone knows?

We have our biggest d-line recruit (Sorrells) left on the board visiting this weekend so you would think we would have someone in place for his visit. Keep hearing a hire is "immenent" but other than that not eharing much. Will we have someone by today or tomorrow if anyone knows?

It's Brad Lawing...

I heard he has a house on Lake Murray....

No, I went 09-13’. Closest Chinese to 5 points was Main Moon on Rosewood. Delicious.

You missed out on one of 5 points greatest dive bars. Behind China Garden was Jungle Jims. Jungles was notorious for letting anyone in because the owner wanted them to spend money. Before the gangs became a problem, Jungles was the place you could go to live your college experience. Kinda like Pavlovs with less frat boys.

I see John Scott Jr's name being thrown out there. He's the current Arkansas DL coach. Anyone know anything about him? Looks like he's jumped around a bit with a brief stint w/ the Jets.

I hope you fellows jest when you throw out Deke's name. That would be a regression imho. Might as well make an offer to Wally B. to run the whole thing.

I see John Scott Jr's name being thrown out there. He's the current Arkansas DL coach. Anyone know anything about him? Looks like he's jumped around a bit with a brief stint w/ the Jets.

Not sure if they're based on anything but a lot of what's being mentioned on Twitter says Reynolds got tired of waiting on a Hobby decision and backed out. Next up, John Scott Jr.

Not sure if they're based on anything but a lot of what's being mentioned on Twitter says Reynolds got tired of waiting on a Hobby decision and backed out. Next up, John Scott Jr.
I hope he's not playing us because of his ties to Clemson. This kind of stuff is frustrating. If someone has to "hem and haw" about being on our staff, maybe we should go a different direction.

I can hear the haters out there now; Cracking their keyboard fingers, salivating at the opportunity to post how CWM and CRT botched the DL coach hire!

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock
I hope he's not playing us because of his ties to Clemson. This kind of stuff is frustrating. If someone has to "hem and haw" about being on our staff, maybe we should go a different direction.

He's not playing us. He's more than likely looking for other NFL opportunities.

Perhaps our future DL coach is still coaching in the NFL right now? Who knows.

I hear rumors it's John Scott from Arkansas! But there seems to be different rumors every day. None of it has proven true thus far!

Hyman was a career pathway AD that is chiefly responsible for the athletic footprint of the university. He had vision. Tanner rakes dirt. I am also a 40 plus year fan not a troll. Just stating facts. We rewarded a guy with a job.

Also hired Horn, Whammy and Botkin.
With Horn, he freely admitted that money was an issue. With the other two? Do you really think he hired them? Or did Spurrier hire them? You've defended Ray at every turn when it came to how he handled Spurrier. Why doesn't Hyman get the same benefit of the doubt? Let's be consistent here, counselor.

With Horn, he freely admitted that money was an issue. With the other two? Do you really think he hired them? Or did Spurrier hire them? You've defended Ray at every turn when it came to how he handled Spurrier. Why doesn't Hyman get the same benefit of the doubt? Let's be consistent here, counselor.
Honestly, I believe the coach hires the assistants...not the AD. Which is exactly how it should be. I do believe Tanner handled Spurrier about as well as he or anyone could have.

But look at the posts on this site which somehow want to prove otherwise. I'm just playing along with their stupid fallacies.

The last coach at USC that I was pretty sure the AD interfered somewhat with positional coaching decisions was Brad Scott. At the time, it was rumored that prior to his final year the AD told Brad he needed to make changes on his staff....and Brad refused to make a change.

I can hear the haters out there now; Cracking their keyboard fingers, salivating at the opportunity to post how CWM and CRT botched the DL coach hire!

So I don't really understand the purpose of this post. I am glad Muschamp is our coach. I still think he is absolutely the guy for the job. I loved the Thomas Brown hire.

I am also absolutely underwhelmed if we hire a defensive line coach from a 2-10 Arkansas team, especially when I also don't see anything that stands out on his resume. Can fans not have the intelligence to look at decisions independently of one another? Coach Spurrier was the most successful coach in the history of SC. He also made a lot of dumb decisions which he would readily admit. Everything isn't black and white.

So I don't really understand the purpose of this post. I am glad Muschamp is our coach. I still think he is absolutely the guy for the job. I loved the Thomas Brown hire.

I am also absolutely underwhelmed if we hire a defensive line coach from a 2-10 Arkansas team, especially when I also don't see anything that stands out on his resume. Can fans not have the intelligence to look at decisions independently of one another? Coach Spurrier was the most successful coach in the history of SC. He also made a lot of dumb decisions which he would readily admit. Everything isn't black and white.
OTOH, when we had Elliott as our OL coach, I would have been more than ecstatic to have Holtz's OL coach off his 0-11 team. Think he is in the NFL now. Spurrier should have retained him.

Honestly, I believe the coach hires the assistants...not the AD. Which is exactly how it should be. I do believe Tanner handled Spurrier about as well as he or anyone could have.

But look at the posts on this site which somehow want to prove otherwise. I'm just playing along with their stupid fallacies.

The last coach at USC that I was pretty sure the AD interfered somewhat with positional coaching decisions was Brad Scott. At the time, it was rumored that prior to his final year the AD told Brad he needed to make changes on his staff....and Brad refused to make a change.
So Mike McGee and Brad Scott notwithstanding. When it comes to Hyman, we're in agreement then? ;)

I've criticized Spurrier way too much for his hires in his latter years here to even think about blaming someone else....assuming you can even logically do so. But if someone wants to go down that rabbit hole (as many seem to want to do with Tanner), I'll help them follow that argument to its illogical conclusion.

I've criticized Spurrier way too much for his hires in his latter years here to even think about blaming someone else....assuming you can even logically do so. But if someone wants to go down that rabbit hole (as many seem to want to do with Tanner), I'll help them follow that argument to its illogical conclusion.
My view is the ADs are responsible for hiring the HCs and the HCs are responsible for hiring the ACs. It's the logical progression. The same goes for the firings.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT