ADVERTISEMENT

Whats your favorite Golf Courses you have played?

I played Augusta National 40 years ago and it is still top of my list. But if I had to play only one more round it would be Pebble Beach. Been lucky to play there 5 times and it is breathtaking and fun. Here’s my list:

1. Augusta National
2. Pebble Beach
3. Cypress Point (the hardest place to get a on)
4. Ocean Course Kiawah
5. Old Course St Andrews
6. Muirfield in Scotland
7. Lahinch in Ireland
8. Shinnecock
9. Peachtree Golf Club Atlanta (sister course to Augusta)
10. Ballybunion
11. Royal Dornoch Scotland
12. East Lake Atlanta (Bobby Jones history)

Never was a fan of Pinehurst No.2. I wish was the golfer i once was. Age is the great equalizer.
I agree with your assessment of Pinehurst number 2, but you clearly have some connections to have played Augusta National. Hope you did not play the Ocean Course in cold windy weather. I can attest that under those conditions it is a beast Awesome list!

Reactions: king ward
I played Augusta National 40 years ago and it is still top of my list. But if I had to play only one more round it would be Pebble Beach. Been lucky to play there 5 times and it is breathtaking and fun. Here’s my list:

1. Augusta National
2. Pebble Beach
3. Cypress Point (the hardest place to get a on)
4. Ocean Course Kiawah
5. Old Course St Andrews
6. Muirfield in Scotland
7. Lahinch in Ireland
8. Shinnecock
9. Peachtree Golf Club Atlanta (sister course to Augusta)
10. Ballybunion
11. Royal Dornoch Scotland
12. East Lake Atlanta (Bobby Jones history)

Never was a fan of Pinehurst No.2. I wish was the golfer i once was. Age is the great equalizer.
Haven't played #2 but walked it when the U.S. Senior Open was played there, I believe in 1994. My impression was that the green complexes were terribly difficult, maybe some unfair, but that there wasn't a memorable hole on the entire course. My friend who more recently played it said the same thing about the holes: some good ones, no bad ones, no great ones. By the way, I'm forced to sadly agree totally about the ravages of age.

Last edited:
Haven't played #2 but walked it when the U.S. Senior Open was played there, I believe in 1994. My impression was that the green complexes were terribly difficult, maybe some unfair, but that there wasn't a memorable hole on the entire course. My friend who more recently played it said the same thing about the holes: some good ones, no bad ones, no great ones. By the way, I'm forced to sadly agree totally about the ravages of age.

I don’t get the love for Pinehurst #2. I’ve played it twice and just wasn’t wowed. I hate mounded greens. I was good friends with Payne Stewart when he won the US Open at Pinehurst. One of the happiest moments in my life when he won that tournament after finishing a heartbreaking second at the US Open at Olympic the year before. Still Payne wasn’t a fan of Pinehurst. Peachtree in Atlanta is twice is good. The closest you can get to playing Augusta without playing Augusta (it’s the sister course of Augusta). My law firm had Bobby Jones as a lawyer (it was his father’s firm Jones Bird and Howell but now called Alston & Bird). We have tons of Bobby Jones memorabilia in the firm.

I grew up in MB area so played a ton there. I loved Caledonia because it was a beautiful course. Blackmore was fun and I did my best on that course. Barefoot courses were fun as well. I would have to say my absolute least favorite course I have ever played has to be here in midlands area. It is Mid Carolina on way to Newberry. The course is ok but I have had 3 different times playing there and run into the rudest people ever on a golf course. Several nice people but those few times were enough to tell me I dont enjoy going there at all.
My favorite hole i have played is Waterloo at the Dunes Club. Super hard but fun. I birdied it the first time I played it by luck but never did much better than double bogie after that.
Putt putt in Charlotte.

Used to play a little nine hole course between Conway and Georgetown, it sat back off in the woods It would kick butt for sure. I used to average 30 shots per nine, but it would kick your butt. Georgetown used to have a nine hole course that sat out beside 701 North. Cow pasture that would also kick butt. Average score for nine was around 31 strokes. Real ass kicker. Conway had a nine hole butt kicker too. Go around twice and it would wear you out. Par 71 that usually gave up a 68 or 69. Tough SOB.
Saw Pebble once, biggest pos I ever walked on. Nobody likes that lay out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT