ADVERTISEMENT

When did you see your first game at WB or Carolina Stadium before it

The ones I really remember best was in the 1964 opener at home with Duke and two weeks later at home with Georgia. We tied both teams, and both had strong teams. We had some good players on that team but just couldn't get it together and win many games that year. I believe Dan Reeves was a senior that year. I went with my uncle and his family, as I had just lost my father 6 months prior to that, and I was in the tenth grade. Have been a Gamecock fan ever since.
My father had taken me to the Boy Scout games prior to that, but I remember little about the actual games.

It was '66 for me, I was seven years old and my grandfather took me to see us play Memphis: we lost by a couple of touchtowns. It was a night game as most were back then. The stadium was a bowl and held I believe 42,000. The scoreboards were sponsoredby Esso. It said on each one, "Happy Motoring". I thought it odd having a tiger on both scoreboards in our stadium and Clemson be our arch rival. I had to wear a tie and my Granddad had a garnet Gamecock Club blazer & gamecock tie he wore to everry game. Much more an event back then and formal with most females in dresses and hats. Wow, a lot different now.

Originally posted by Mr CockStrong:
Great question Freddie. I attended my first game after the stadium received the name WB, so I won't answer since I did not see a game when it was Carolina Stadium.

By the way, what year did it become Williams-Brice Stadium?
I think the year was 1971, because that was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and Astroturf was in place. And I think the Athletic Dept. received the money from the Brice - Williams family to build the West Upper Deck.

I went in the early 60's when Dan Reeves was playing. I also went to the 1964 Citadel game in Columbia and the 1965 Citadel game in Charleston. I recall that the Citadel played us tough in Charleston, though they did not win the game. As was customary at the time, if the Citadel had won, they had their Saturday night leave automatically extended to 2:00 AM. Toward the end of the game, an announcement was made that even though they were losing (lost), the General of the school bestowed the 2:00 AM pass for their fight. The whole stadium erupted in cheer and applause. I grew up in Charleston so it was an easy cheer for them. I continued to go to Carolina games on through the late sixties until I became a full time student in the fall of 1970. The stadium at that time also had a pair of roofless dugouts where each team sat (the bench) on the field where the benches are today. There were,what I guess,red-tip plants planted behind them. Peanuts were sold in small paper bags with Cromers on them (Worse Peanuts in Town), and I often wondered why a vendor would say that! It was a fun time with my father and a business colleague oh his and his son who was my age,one that is difficult to replicate today. The Carolina band had a baton twirler named "Johnny" who would strut out onto the field well before the band and throw the twirling baton way up in the air. He caught it every time.

Pepsicock Wrote:

Re: When did you see your first game at WB or Carolina Stadium before it Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1968 we beat UNC 32-27
_________________________________________________________________________________

Actually that game was played at Chapel Hill. It was my first road game. We came back from a two touchdown deficit in the 4th quarter to win. Tommy Suggs had a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT