ADVERTISEMENT

When Do We Get Rid of Franks' BOY ????

I included that year (2007) in the average #17 national ranking , his only Top 10 recruiting class here.. No question he pulled in some blue chippers. So did Carlen , Morrison and Holtz. But none of those coaches were considered recruiting to be their forte, whereas recruiting was /is considered the forte of Woods, Bell, Scott, Muschamp and Beamer. But all in all, as the recruiting rankings showed, Spurrier did not exactly blow the socks off with his recruiting. He unquestionably was the best "game day" coach we ever had.

Agreed. I also think Spurrier's name and record recruited itself a bit. Meaning, he didn't have tonput the effort in other guys have to

Reactions: gamecock stock
Agreed. I also think Spurrier's name and record recruited itself a bit. Meaning, he didn't have tonput the effort in other guys have to
THAT is one of the advantages of bringing in a proven, successful Head Coach. Prospects know that he knows what he is doing on the practice field, film room and the sideline.

Reactions: Lurker123
I included that year (2007) in the average #17 national ranking , his only Top 10 recruiting class here.. No question he pulled in some blue chippers. So did Carlen , Morrison and Holtz. But none of those coaches were considered recruiting to be their forte, whereas recruiting was /is considered the forte of Woods, Bell, Scott, Muschamp and Beamer. But all in all, as the recruiting rankings showed, Spurrier did not exactly blow the socks off with his recruiting. He unquestionably was the best "game day" coach we ever had.

What wasn't happening is that he wasn't losing his top players like Wells, Anderson, Lloyd, Bell, Burch, etc at the end of any given season because we couldn't afford to keep them.

Spurrier would have quit on the spot if he had to deal with the NIL/Portal just like Saban did.

What wasn't happening is that he wasn't losing his top players like Wells, Anderson, Lloyd, Bell, Burch, etc at the end of any given season because we couldn't afford to keep them.

Spurrier would have quit on the spot if he had to deal with the NIL/Portal just like Saban did.
I agree. I think he would have quit too. That being said, Spurrier got the most out of the hand he had to play. Not every coach has that ability.

I don't know how wealthy we are NIL-wise. But I do know that we are/were wealthy enough to land the #8 Transfer Portal class in the nation this year and the # 2 Transfer Portal Class in the nation two years ago. As Jack Nicholson, playing the President in the movie "Mars Attacks!" told the nation after the Martians destroyed Congress, saying 2 of the 3 branches of government were still functioning: "And that ain't bad". LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: PaleoCock
If he is truly the best coach for us as you say, then a winning season should not be unexpected.

Can you cite your rationale based on the current landscape?

Teams like Ole Miss and Missouri were once in our class along with UK, Mississippi State and Arkansas. UT and Auburn were also beatable during their down periods.

However, OM and UM are now buying up 4 and 5-star players at will (including some of ours) while our best players exit at the end of the season for greener pastures.

How do you coach your way out of this issue when you were at best a mid-to-low tier recruiting school even before moneyball commenced?

Now add in Oklahoma and Texas for good measure.

Do you believe Saban could manifest 7-wins with our roster and this schedule?
https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/football/schedule/

Last edited:
Can you cite your rationale based on the current landscape?

Teams like Ole Miss and Missouri were once in our class along with UK, Mississippi State and Arkansas. UT and Auburn were also beatable during their down periods.

However, OM and UM are now buying up 4 and 5-star players at will (including some of ours) while our best players exit at the end of the season for greener pastures.

How do you coach your way out of this issue when you were at best a mid-to-low tier recruiting school even before moneyball commenced?

Now add in Oklahoma and Texas for good measure.

Do you believe Saban could manifest 7-wins with our roster and this schedule?
https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/football/schedule/
I'm going to go back to the statement I quoted in the post "when are you going to realize he's the best coach for us".
So as you mentioin Ole Miss and Mizzou were once in our class and now we have been surpassed. If Beamer is indeed the best for us, then he is the one who is to be questioned on his vision to navigate the landscape to bring us up to level with the aforementioned schools.

Last edited:
I'm going to go back to the statement I quoted in the post "when are you going to realize he's the best coach for us".
So as you mentioin Ole Miss and Mizzou were once in our class and now we have been surpassed. If Beamer is indeed the best for us, then he is the one who is to be questioned on his vision to navigate the landscape the to bring us up to level with the aforementioned schools.

How do you do that at USC outside of a money printer?

I’m curious how many here have donated to our NIL program. Look around the other schools and see where ours stands in comparison. You can say it doesn’t matter but it does to many of these young players. That being said, I’m not convinced that teams just offering NIL money will be successful in the long run because if a player is more interested in the $, they may not always be a team player. We are all in new territory right now.

I’m curious how many here have donated to our NIL program. Look around the other schools and see where ours stands in comparison. You can say it doesn’t matter but it does to many of these young players. That being said, I’m not convinced that teams just offering NIL money will be successful in the long run because if a player is more interested in the $, they may not always be a team player. We are all in new territory right now.
They will chase the money.

I’m curious how many here have donated to our NIL program. Look around the other schools and see where ours stands in comparison.

It's an anonymous message board. One can pretend and claim to give as much as one wants, if they're determined to virtue signal. So believing posts about it is difficult.

And most of us would really like to look at where our school stands in comparison to other schools. I've yet to see a good, reliable comparison of schools' NIL expenditures though.

Last edited:
I love how some on here think that there is this magical coach out there who can be hired that will magically come in and fix USC football! That person doesn't exist and we have been chasing ghosts for decades! Nobody has done it yet, and continuing to fire coaches is just a tried and true way to continue to fail!

I love how some on here think that there is this magical coach out there who can be hired that will magically come in and fix USC football! That person doesn't exist and we have been chasing ghosts for decades! Nobody has done it yet, and continuing to fire coaches is just a tried and true way to continue to fail!

I suppose this depends on what you consider "fixing" gamecock football.

I don't think anyone believes we are going to hire a "magical" coach that is going to suddenly make us title contenders. But consistently bowl eligible? Is that really such a lofty goal as to be unattainable?

We all get the changing landscape of college football. Some just believe that coaching is one component of a successful program, ignored at our peril.

As for continuing to fire coaches, we keep our coaches longer than the average tenure for college coaches across the nation. The "revolving door" idea is not accurate.

Gamecock fans, for generations, have been thinking that - and being wrong. So, the current crop of fans that think that can be wrong too.

I'm certainly not going to spend most of my time on message boards being a damn fool by publicly blasting our own head coach every chance possible for nearly everything he does, or any decision he makes. Morons like that deserve to be miserable every second of their lousy lives- and likely are anyway.

So we just stick with a bad coach when there are hundreds of better coaches out there than him?

So we just stick with a bad coach when there are hundreds of better coaches out there than him?

What a stupid comment on a message board overflowing with idiotic comments.

What better coaches want to come to South Carolina to be the head coach today? Please define "better," specifically.

name them and provide evidence that they would be better as the South Carolina head coach and would come here.

What a stupid comment on a message board overflowing with idiotic comments.

What better coaches want to come to South Carolina to be the head coach today? Please define "better," specifically.

name them and provide evidence that they would be better as the South Carolina head coach and would come here.

What?

Jamey Chadwell would have come here had we offered him the job.

The idea we can't do better than Beamer is laughable. He's literally our worst hire in my lifetime.

What?

The idea we can't do better than Beamer is laughable. He's literally our worst hire in my lifetime.

My GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD- Jamey CHadwell..

I'll ask again since you so damn well blew it the first time

(Note: Your opinion isn't evidence)

Does it really matter how long the tenure of our coaches has been? Has firing coaches and hiring someone knew made one bit of difference? NOPE

Have you not figured out yet that it might not be coaching? You are in a small state with another powerhouse D1 school, small recruiting base, and surrounded by much bigger powerhouses all around us, and not to mention playing in the toughest conference in all of football! The deck is stacked against us and no coach no matter how good you think they are will change any of those factors! We have had 2 hall of fame coaches that couldn't do it, so please tell me who out there will?

What?

You are definitely part of the hyperbolic generation! You have to be really young!

So your argument is that Beamer has done such a bad job that not a single decent coach would come to Carolina?

Just crazy talk.

Have you not figured out yet that it might not be coaching? You are in a small state with another powerhouse D1 school, small recruiting base, and surrounded by much bigger powerhouses all around us, and not to mention playing in the toughest conference in all of football! The deck is stacked against us and no coach no matter how good you think they are will change any of those factors! We have had 2 hall of fame coaches that couldn't do it, so please tell me who out there will?

But we’ve all seen that Beamer is bad at coaching and bad at hiring coordinators to coach.

You honestly don’t think anyone else can coach better than Beamer or his coordinators?

But we’ve all seen that Beamer is bad at coaching and bad at hiring coordinators to coach.

You honestly don’t think anyone else can coach better than Beamer or his coordinators?
I'm sure there are plenty of folks that can, I'm just not sure they are interested much in doing it here. Why would they be? This is where coaches go to end their career, not build it. There is literally zero positive examples in our history of this to go by.

NIL is a rabbit hole. The more you spend the more they want. Players should get X amount and the rest goes into a fund they can't touch until after college.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that can, I'm just not sure they are interested much in doing it here. Why would they be? This is where coaches go to end their career, not build it. There is literally zero positive examples in our history of this to go by.

When this is what you're resorting to to try to defend the coach it should be obvious it's time for a change at the HC position.

There are plenty of better coaches that would take the job.

Valid points there.

As I've said numerous times, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach on Beamer. I was vehemently against hiring him. Let me see what he does this season. To say "fire him this year"......that's not happening. Maybe after Year 5, but not Year 4. But if he loses to one of the 4 "gimmes" on the schedule this year, then all bets are off.

I believe all fans have to determine, in their minds, what their expectations are for the football program. To me, a national championship and SEC championship are not realistic. What I believe is realistic is an annual Top 20 program with an occasional Top 10 year. Spurrier proved you can produce a Top 10 team here (did that 3 times including number 4 in the nation). Morrison and Holtz both produced 2 Top 20 teams each.

Why was I vehemently against hiring Beamer? To hire someone who has never been a Head Coach to get on-the-job training in the toughest football conference in the nation, is crazy. And if you look at our history, the only hires (Dietzel, Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier) who have had decent success (not annual success) for us all had proven success as FBS Head Coaches elsewhere. It's unfortunate that both Holtz and Spurrier were in their late 60s and at the end of their careers, that Morrison died and that Carlen worked for Holderman. The others (Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp), either had no proven FBS Head Coaching experience or was a proven failure as a FBS Head Coach. And those later coaches were all unceremoniously fired within 5 years of their hire. They were unmitigated failures here. In my mind, if our history had been studied, Beamer would not have gotten within 500 miles of our Head Coach office. Who should we have hired? A proven, young successful Head Coach from a lower level FBS school who wanted to coach at the highest level of college football and increase their salary 10x while taking the job. There are many who would love that opportunity.

But we have Beamer now. So, we all have to pull for him, hoping he will break our history of first time FBS Head Coaches failing here. I believe it will all come down to our offense. His hires and non-hires on that side of the ball are "head scratchers" to me. And injuries will also play a part. For some reason, I'm not sure why, but it seems to me that we have had way, way more than our share of injuries since Beamer has been here.

Reactions: Lurker123
NIL is a rabbit hole. The more you spend the more they want. Players should get X amount and the rest goes into a fund they can't touch until after college.
Talking about NIL, we are bunched together (8-11) with Missouri, Ole Miss and Tennessee in the current SEC recruiting rankings. Since fund-raising is Tanner's administrative forte, I suspect we are spending more on NIL than some people realize.

Does it really matter how long the tenure of our coaches has been? Has firing coaches and hiring someone knew made one bit of difference? NOPE

I think the length of tenure matters if the argument is we continually fire coaches. We actually keep them around longer than normal.

I also think it's fair to say that some coaches have done better than others here. Even if it's not playing for titles, some coaches have done better. It's not unreasonable to look for one of those coaches again.

Last edited:
Valid points there.

As I've said numerous times, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach on Beamer. I was vehemently against hiring him. Let me see what he does this season. To say "fire him this year"......that's not happening. Maybe after Year 5, but not Year 4. But if he loses to one of the 4 "gimmes" on the schedule this year, then all bets are off.

I believe all fans have to determine, in their minds, what their expectations are for the football program. To me, a national championship and SEC championship are not realistic. What I believe is realistic is an annual Top 20 program with an occasional Top 10 year. Spurrier proved you can produce a Top 10 team here (did that 3 times including number 4 in the nation). Morrison and Holtz both produced 2 Top 20 teams each.

Why was I vehemently against hiring Beamer? To hire someone who has never been a Head Coach to get on-the-job training in the toughest football conference in the nation, is crazy. And if you look at our history, the only hires (Dietzel, Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier) who have had decent success (not annual success) for us all had proven success as FBS Head Coaches elsewhere. It's unfortunate that both Holtz and Spurrier were in their late 60s and at the end of their careers, that Morrison died and that Carlen worked for Holderman. The others (Bell, Woods, Scott and Muschamp), either had no proven FBS Head Coaching experience or was a proven failure as a FBS Head Coach. And those later coaches were all unceremoniously fired within 5 years of their hire. They were unmitigated failures here. In my mind, if our history had been studied, Beamer would not have gotten within 500 miles of our Head Coach office. Who should we have hired? A proven, young successful Head Coach from a lower level FBS school who wanted to coach at the highest level of college football and increase their salary 10x while taking the job. There are many who would love that opportunity.

But we have Beamer now. So, we all have to pull for him, hoping he will break our history of first time FBS Head Coaches failing here. I believe it will all come down to our offense. His hires and non-hires on that side of the ball are "head scratchers" to me. And injuries will also play a part. For some reason, I'm not sure why, but it seems to me that we have had way, way more than our share of injuries since Beamer has been here.

Stock answered this very well. I would only add one point. If all these other factors are stacked against us, is that reason to ignore coaching as a factor? Imo, that's just adding another factor against us.

One other thing to add about NIL. I wish there was a reliable source to see how much we spend on NIL compared to others. I've heard that Ole Miss and Missouri are NIL-rich. Yet, we are right there with them in recruiting this year. And our Transfer Portal rankings for 2 of the past 3 years is good (2nd and 8th).

One other thing to add about NIL. I wish there was a reliable source to see how much we spend on NIL compared to others. I've heard that Ole Miss and Missouri are NIL-rich. Yet, we are right there with them in recruiting this year. And our Transfer Portal rankings for 2 of the past 3 years is good (2nd and 8th).

I would really like to see reliable numbers too. There are a few teams making g waves, and (it seems) lots of teams complaining that they can't compete.

Chadwell is a better coach. His resume is better than Beamer's. That's fact. Your opinion holds no value.

I think you see what you want to see. I don't think his coaching or coach picks have been any worse than any other program. His recruiting has been really good compared to previous staffs. You might be to young to know, but there was a time when a 3 star recruit was a big deal around here. Getting a 4 star was rare and a 5 star unheard of.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT